Original Poster
@tcool123
The Curse of Chaos: Battle of the Gods

1620750543621.png

Awards and Honors
SA7 Honorable Mention Award
SA7 MVP Runner-Up
SA3 Sorcerer’s Apprentice

As the #1 seed on ThemeParkPriest’s (unofficial) playoff bracket, Tcool had high expectations to live up to. He answered it with one of his boldest projects to date. The Curse of Chaos: Battle of the Gods is crazy. It’s incredibly inspired, fitting wonderfully within the underbaked Lost Continent area at IOA while also telling an original tale influenced by Egyptian mythos. It’s also one of the grandest ride concepts Universal would have ever made. With an elaborate story, diverse set of original characters, and epic battle sequences, this is about as bold as it gets.

I believe this “go big or go home” mentality both helped and hurt you. Although by no means impossible, it’s not likely Universal would bank on this attraction. I could maybe see Disney going for it, but Universal lives on IPs, and would much rather retheme the Lost Continent to a new, up-and-coming IP. Even so, you’d need this to be a rather profitable IP for them to commit to the crazy scale as this attraction.

Yet despite these concerns over realism, your sheer ambition makes it difficult to truly criticize anything from this project. Everything here was so wonderfully crafted, I want to take the time to appreciate everything you have put together.

Beginning with the flipbook “The Journal of Leonard Conker” pre-project, this is an excellent intro to your project! It’s a tonal refresh that sets the stage perfectly for your project proper. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this, and I hope in the future more players incorporate these types of artistic introductions.

The “brady bunch” drawing is also fantastic. It’s awesome to see you taking up drawing more and more since the Body Wars project, I hope you continue to do so. This is especially useful given their original IP (albeit inspired by Egyptian myth), as readers may not have a visual image in their heads.

I also loved how you described each and every character in a short paragraph, although I’ll be honest -- even I, who knows a decent amount of Egyptian mythology from reading Rick Riordan in middle school -- felt a tad overwhelmed by the end. I understand there’s a lot of complexity to Egyptian myths, but perhaps some of the characters could be trimmed down? If not, perhaps in the future when handling so many characters make (as silly as this sounds) a character chart showing everyone’s relationships with each other. That may be unnecessary, but if I had to give one suggestion that would be it.

But onwards to the ride itself. The overall land changes are much appreciated, although not required of you by the prompt, it’s nice to see how such a major e-ticket would impact the land as a whole. The queue lasts a while and honestly could be trimmed, but realistically I think repeating information is more likely with a backstory this expansive. Honestly, as much as I loved the Leonard Conker intro, I think he and the 8th Wonder Expedition as a whole could have been cut. This may help shorten the complex backstory, which while I appreciate for these kinds of projects, recognize in reality would fly over most viewers’ headers.

I love how detailed the map is, outlining every story beat for readers to follow along while reading. Most of my thoughts regarding the ride-through itself can be found earlier in this review - it’s expansive, communicating the grandeur of the Egyptian Gods while still remaining cohesive enough to understand when riding. I do wish some of the dialogue was simplified, but otherwise, it's a great write-up. Highlights (for me) include the underworld river journey and the reveal of Apep, because who doesn’t love a giant snake animatronic?

Overall, this is an epic final project for one of the season’s heaviest hitters. Tcool, you’ve been in this much longer than I have, but you are still learning new tricks as this season shows. I hope you continue to develop your artistic talents and potentially incorporate them, alongside your excellent writing and team leadership, in future competitions. I’m looking forward to it!​

Outbound

Original Poster
@Tegan pilots a chicken
Ironheart: First Flight

1620751046302.png

Awards and Honors
SA7 Bronze Medal
SA7 Regular Season MVP
Best Artist Runner-Up
Best Project Manager Runner-Up
Served on Best Team (Reality)
Worked on Best Team Project (DC Funverse)
Most Likely to be Awake Right Now

Tegan won the MVP of the regular season for a reason. You’ve had so much passion this season, this final project is practically overflowing with it. The Chaosverse intro is awesome and sets the stage for your project wonderfully.

Speaking of, the “Chaosverse” as a whole is a really interesting idea that I wish you further explore in future competitions. Besides the amazing opening letter art that wonderfully ties together your season-long journey, its very inclusion circumvents a lot of the initial concerns I felt towards this project. Namely, the destruction of Tomorrowland. Usually, I’d be opposed to this, as I really think by destroying it you’re messing with the OG vision of Disneyland. Yes, Tomorrowland has its problems but ripping it out with an IP land is not the solution IMHO. But then, this is set in the Chaosverse, not our universe. So a lot of that thinking goes out of the window. In this universe, perhaps a snap from reality is exactly what Tomorrowland needs.

Also… I know this isn’t the focus of your project, but I want to briefly touch upon your take on the Stark Expo. I love it! Everything sounds so inspired and it's all set in Phase 4 which is a big plus. The Professor Hulk show, the Captain Marvel simulator, even the ax-throwing and archery entertainment. This might be a minor thing but in most Avengers Campus areas you see a lot of focus going towards the original six, whereas here you are celebrating new heroes and exciting guests for the future of Marvel. All the while still paying tribute to the past with a statue of Tony at the center.

Likewise, the choice of theming the “Iron Man” attraction to Ironheart is both inspired but also smart. It helps push forward the future of Marvel while nevertheless tying wonderfully to the land’s theme of Tony’s legacy. Using villains wanting revenge for Tony’s attractions is another smart pick. Although it also makes you wonder just how much conflict Tony managed to start, lol.

Riri’s “social-media” esque characterization also helps to set this apart. I don’t know much about Ironheart in the comics, but I hope her MCU portrayal is similar to how you established her here.

The ride system has been a subject of much discussion. Personally, I didn’t have much trouble understanding it. From what I understand, it's really a simulator that uses the coaster elements to make the motions “real”, rather than stationary? That’s an interesting concept. After some thinking, I’d say I like it - it reminds me a bit like Space Mountain where what you see is intentional. Only this time instead of nothing (mimicking the darkness of space) it’s a computer interface (mimicking the Iron Man HUD).

Kudos to both the ride map and soundtrack. This is an excellent combo to your write-up and really helps imagine what the attraction would be like in reality. Another plus for writing dialogue, I know that can be difficult, but it really helps to detail everything this way.

Overall, this is a truly fantastic project that I believe is only held back by the works of your fellow finalists doing something even further outside the box. I think if I could describe this project in one word, it’d be passion: all this season, you’ve focused on this word. I wouldn’t think of an Ironheart attraction if you gave me a hundred pitches for a Tomorrowland e-ticket, but you had that passion and made something super cool out of it. I hope you continue to apply this passion to future projects because if you do I’m sure you will go far... just like this season!​

Outbound

Original Poster
@JokersWild
The Time Machine

1620752103791.png

Awards and Honors
SA7 Silver Medal
SA7 Host of Stanzas XII & XIII
Most Innovative Stanza Runner-Up
Best Musician Runner-Up

This is a wonderful project beginning with an introduction from my favorite source of inspiration, President William McKinley. Why more Imagineering projects do not include the great William McKinley I do not know, but for your inclusion of this great figure in American history, I commend you.

Ok sarcasm aside I really liked that video intro. It’s a great start to your project that sets the distinct tone straight away.

JokersWild was coming fresh off a win in SYWBTAI 18 + Semi-hosting gig in 1986, and now it was time to see whether the streak would be maintained. Although you didn’t score first in this project, a silver medal in this competition is no easy feat and should be celebrated. Your project combines original Imagineering elements with a simple simplicity. There are no nitpicks to be given.... other than you weren’t Pi.

Beginning with the forward, a bit reflective yes, but this game went from January to May, so I’d argue it can be excused. I loved how your presentation split into multiple chapters. It’s such a small thing but it goes a long way towards transforming a Google Doc into a presentation with flare.

This is a shorter write-up (only 18 pages, which is funny because 18 pages is still a lot, goes to show the craziness of some of your fellow finalists), but its shorter scale lends itself well to this project’s excellent simplicity. When everything is so intrinsically planned there isn’t much need to go on and on with incredible detail. Sometimes keeping it simple is key, especially when you have a fantastic initial idea built around it.

The inclusion of SEA is cool, and I love how you took it in a new direction by rewriting the famous backstory with something new. The backstory to Discovery Bay is awesome, and I second D Hulk’s comment in hoping you continue it one day and explore the other lands outlined. There’s so much potential with this theme, the Time Machine is just scratching the surface.

Moving into the queue, there are so many fine details here. Everything is intrinsically planned. Like the dinosaur set-up to subvert audience expectations on-ride, which I honestly didn’t fully catch until you pointed it out on the podcast. This steadily builds to the attraction itself, which is excellent.

I haven’t seen/read the Time Machine film/book, but I have heard about it, and from what I can tell this is fairly accurate (to the point of including giant crabs) retelling that is nevertheless exciting and surprising for the average guests. You immediately jump away from the expected “time travel” plots of Medieval Ages or Wild West and head straight to the beginning and ends of time! Despite this grand scope, the Time Machine never feels too crazy, kept grounded with little quirks and hidden details.

Kudos to including those crabs from the novel. Although I sincerely question how the end of time results in two giant crabs having a smash brawl… if it was in the novel, don’t question it lol? It's such a strange concept I think it’d be absolutely hilarious to see in person, even if it's meant to intimidate.

Overall, I don't have much to say other than bravo! This is a fantastic project that I hope continues beyond this finale. There’s great potential here, even if you have a lot on your plate upcoming with the hosting Madcap Circus (good luck!). Regardless of what the future holds, I’m looking forward to what you bring in future Imagineering competitions and independent projects.​

Outbound

Original Poster
@Pi on my Cake
The Fazbear Entertainment Wonder Tour

1620752904975.png

Awards and Honors
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Best PM Runner-Up
Best Artist Runner-Up
Most Likely to Have 2 Alternate Usernames

Here we go. The final project to review, also the ultimate winner of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Fantasmic Journeys!

Pi, you’ve been at this for a while. From humble beginnings in SA4 to helping me get started halfway into SA5 when I switched onto Team Princes. Then co-hosting with PerGron and I for SA6, where you took a ton of leadership with the comics and postings. When SA7 came, it was your time to shine. You hit all the highlights of prior games this season, both playing and hosting, and after a very intense finale took home the gold.

This season you put significant focus into expanding your artistic talent. From GIFS to new artistic programs to even game design, your talents reached new heights. This final project carries many of these traits, exhibiting mastery in all elements of armchair imagineering despite its incredibly challenging premise: a FNAF attraction? How could that possibly work? Well, somehow you made it work.

You’ve provided valid reasoning for FNAF as a potential Universal IP. Having read your reasoning I can now geninuely see it happening. The Simpsons are going away and Universal will need to replace it with something new, and hopefully enticing to younger generations. Despite never playing FNAF (I don’t like horror games) there’s no denying the franchise has a significant pop culture presence. Its fans would adore this ride, and the average park guest would get the overall gist -- Chuck E Cheese but evil -- and enjoy the unique frights.

So, despite being initially worried over your IP choice, you refuted any potential concerns in your opening, and once it's time to begin the ride-through, you have taken all the best elements of the games and used them to create a ride experience like no other finalist.

Because of how you went "all-in" with this unique IP (a risk that paid off), your final project is rewarded. Its unique theme allowed you to create a ride experience like no other finalist.

This ride does a fantastic job slowly building tension. Starting with a seemingly regular Chuck E Cheese show with some malfunctions, and steadily escalating to Springtrap and jump scares. The best horror attractions do this. Fear of anticipation is just as shocking as the fear of surprise.

When it does come to jump-scares, you don’t hold back. Although I am not the most familiar with the FNAF characters, you seem to have referenced all the highlights with this e-ticket. I’m one of those folks who only know Freddy the Bear, so to see other characters as jump-scares certainly gives the ride some extra variety, and makes the experience all the scarier.

(Also, reading this at night was not the best idea lol. I actually jumped at the Freddy jump-scare).

I also want to congratulate you on your choice of presentation. Google Slides is a fantastic resource I wish was used more often. Every page’s background color, font, and even custom music are specifically chosen, earning big brownie points for taking the extra time to do so. I cannot stress the importance of extra details like the video and audio recordings, when every finalist is doing something amazing, you need to find ways to stand apart. And I know this started as a joke, but the 4:3 vision is a huge improvement from the regular PowerPoint ratio. It allows you to incorporate more text/visuals onto each page.

Finally, the Halloween Horrors Night inclusion is a final chef’s kiss to your project. I’m a bit less sure on the Youtubers event, but I suppose the franchise is basically built upon Youtubers at this point, so it makes sense. And then trash cans, which are a Pi staple by now, to the point if you didn’t include them I’d be asking where they are.

There’s not much else to say. You took an IP we were all unsure of and, astonishingly, made it work. This is an amazing end of your Season 7 journey and more than deserving of the apprentice’s hat. After many fantastic seasons, you’ve done it! Congratulations Pi!​

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
@Tegan pilots a chicken
Ironheart: First Flight

View attachment 556531

Awards and Honors
SA7 Bronze Medal
SA7 Regular Season MVP
Best Artist Runner-Up
Best Project Manager Runner-Up
Most Likely to be Awake Right Now

Tegan won the MVP of the regular season for a reason. You’ve had so much passion this season, this final project is practically overflowing with it. The Chaosverse intro is awesome and sets the stage for your project wonderfully.

Speaking of, the “Chaosverse” as a whole is a really interesting idea that I wish you further explore in future competitions. Besides the amazing opening letter art that wonderfully ties together your season-long journey, its very inclusion circumvents a lot of the initial concerns I felt towards this project. Namely, the destruction of Tomorrowland. Usually, I’d be opposed to this, as I really think by destroying it you’re messing with the OG vision of Disneyland. Yes, Tomorrowland has its problems but ripping it out with an IP land is not the solution IMHO. But then, this is set in the Chaosverse, not our universe. So a lot of that thinking goes out of the window. In this universe, perhaps a snap from reality is exactly what Tomorrowland needs.

Also… I know this isn’t the focus of your project, but I want to briefly touch upon your take on the Stark Expo. I love it! Everything sounds so inspired and it's all set in Phase 4 which is a big plus. The Professor Hulk show, the Captain Marvel simulator, even the ax-throwing and archery entertainment. This might be a minor thing but in most Avengers Campus areas you see a lot of focus going towards the original six, whereas here you are celebrating new heroes and exciting guests for the future of Marvel. All the while still paying tribute to the past with a statue of Tony at the center.

Likewise, the choice of theming the “Iron Man” attraction to Ironheart is both inspired but also smart. It helps push forward the future of Marvel while nevertheless tying wonderfully to the land’s theme of Tony’s legacy. Using villains wanting revenge for Tony’s attractions is another smart pick. Although it also makes you wonder just how much conflict Tony managed to start, lol.

Riri’s “social-media” esque characterization also helps to set this apart. I don’t know much about Ironheart in the comics, but I hope her MCU portrayal is similar to how you established her here.

The ride system has been a subject of much discussion. Personally, I didn’t have much trouble understanding it. From what I understand, it's really a simulator that uses the coaster elements to make the motions “real”, rather than stationary? That’s an interesting concept. After some thinking, I’d say I like it - it reminds me a bit like Space Mountain where what you see is intentional. Only this time instead of nothing (mimicking the darkness of space) it’s a computer interface (mimicking the Iron Man HUD).

Kudos to both the ride map and soundtrack. This is an excellent combo to your write-up and really helps imagine what the attraction would be like in reality. Another plus for writing dialogue, I know that can be difficult, but it really helps to detail everything this way.

Overall, this is a truly fantastic project that I believe is only held back by the works of your fellow finalists doing something even further outside the box. I think if I could describe this project in one word, it’d be passion: all this season, you’ve focused on this word. I wouldn’t think of an Ironheart attraction if you gave me a hundred pitches for a Tomorrowland e-ticket, but you had that passion and made something super cool out of it. I hope you continue to apply this passion to future projects because if you do I’m sure you will go far... just like this season!​

OMG!!!! @Outbound !!! So much thoughtfulness!! Thank you for such insightful perspectives on all of these projects as well as the players!! Posting all of the accomplishments and the “season in photos” was such a loving touch! These are truly special. Thank you for taking the time to compose these!!💜💜

...And I can assure you, the Chaos-Verse is here to stay!! 😈😈

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
@Pi on my Cake
The Fazbear Entertainment Wonder Tour

View attachment 556569

Awards and Honors
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Best PM Runner-Up
Best Artist Runner-Up
Most Likely to Have 2 Alternate Usernames

Here we go. The final project to review, also the ultimate winner of the Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Fantasmic Journeys!

Pi, you’ve been at this for a while. From humble beginnings in SA4 to helping me get started halfway into SA5 when I switched onto Team Princes. Then co-hosting with PerGron and I for SA6, where you took a ton of leadership with the comics and postings. When SA7 came, it was your time to shine. You hit all the highlights of prior games this season, both playing and hosting, and after a very intense finale took home the gold.

This season you put significant focus into expanding your artistic talent. From GIFS to new artistic programs to even game design, your talents reached new heights. This final project carries many of these traits, exhibiting mastery in all elements of armchair imagineering despite its incredibly challenging premise: a FNAF attraction? How could that possibly work? Well, somehow you made it work.

You’ve provided valid reasoning for FNAF as a potential Universal IP. Having read your reasoning I can now geninuely see it happening. The Simpsons are going away and Universal will need to replace it with something new, and hopefully enticing to younger generations. Despite never playing FNAF (I don’t like horror games) there’s no denying the franchise has a significant pop culture presence. Its fans would adore this ride, and the average park guest would get the overall gist -- Chuck E Cheese but evil -- and enjoy the unique frights.

So, despite being initially worried over your IP choice, you refuted any potential concerns in your opening, and once it's time to begin the ride-through, you have taken all the best elements of the games and used them to create a ride experience like no other finalist.

Because of how you went "all-in" with this unique IP (a risk that paid off), your final project is rewarded. Its unique theme allowed you to create a ride experience like no other finalist.

This ride does a fantastic job slowly building tension. Starting with a seemingly regular Chuck E Cheese show with some malfunctions, and steadily escalating to Springtrap and jump scares. The best horror attractions do this. Fear of anticipation is just as shocking as the fear of surprise.

When it does come to jump-scares, you don’t hold back. Although I am not the most familiar with the FNAF characters, you seem to have referenced all the highlights with this e-ticket. I’m one of those folks who only know Freddy the Bear, so to see other characters as jump-scares certainly gives the ride some extra variety, and makes the experience all the scarier.

(Also, reading this at night was not the best idea lol. I actually jumped at the Freddy jump-scare).

I also want to congratulate you on your choice of presentation. Google Slides is a fantastic resource I wish was used more often. Every page’s background color, font, and even custom music are specifically chosen, earning big brownie points for taking the extra time to do so. I cannot stress the importance of extra details like the video and audio recordings, when every finalist is doing something amazing, you need to find ways to stand apart. And I know this started as a joke, but the 4:3 vision is a huge improvement from the regular PowerPoint ratio. It allows you to incorporate more text/visuals onto each page.

Finally, the Halloween Horrors Night inclusion is a final chef’s kiss to your project. I’m a bit less sure on the Youtubers event, but I suppose the franchise is basically built upon Youtubers at this point, so it makes sense. And then trash cans, which are a Pi staple by now, to the point if you didn’t include them I’d be asking where they are.

There’s not much else to say. You took an IP we were all unsure of and, astonishingly, made it work. This is an amazing end of your Season 7 journey and more than deserving of the apprentice’s hat. After many fantastic seasons, you’ve done it! Congratulations Pi!​
Thank you so much for the thoughtful reviews and feeback! And for these "Journey in Photos" posts! That was such a fun touch getting to see all the cool art pieces!!

JokersWild

@JokersWild
The Time Machine

View attachment 556538

Awards and Honors
SA7 Silver Medal
Best Musician Runner-Up

This is a wonderful project beginning with an introduction from my favorite source of inspiration, President William McKinley. Why more Imagineering projects do not include the great William McKinley I do not know, but for your inclusion of this great figure in American history, I commend you.

Ok sarcasm aside I really liked that video intro. It’s a great start to your project that sets the distinct tone straight away.

JokersWild was coming fresh off a win in SYWBTAI 18 + Semi-hosting gig in 1986, and now it was time to see whether the streak would be maintained. Although you didn’t score first in this project, a silver medal in this competition is no easy feat and should be celebrated. Your project combines original Imagineering elements with a simple simplicity. There are no nitpicks to be given.... other than you weren’t Pi.

Beginning with the forward, a bit reflective yes, but this game went from January to May, so I’d argue it can be excused. I loved how your presentation split into multiple chapters. It’s such a small thing but it goes a long way towards transforming a Google Doc into a presentation with flare.

This is a shorter write-up (only 18 pages, which is funny because 18 pages is still a lot, goes to show the craziness of some of your fellow finalists), but its shorter scale lends itself well to this project’s excellent simplicity. When everything is so intrinsically planned there isn’t much need to go on and on with incredible detail. Sometimes keeping it simple is key, especially when you have a fantastic initial idea built around it.

The inclusion of SEA is cool, and I love how you took it in a new direction by rewriting the famous backstory with something new. The backstory to Discovery Bay is awesome, and I second D Hulk’s comment in hoping you continue it one day and explore the other lands outlined. There’s so much potential with this theme, the Time Machine is just scratching the surface.

Moving into the queue, there are so many fine details here. Everything is intrinsically planned. Like the dinosaur set-up to subvert audience expectations on-ride, which I honestly didn’t fully catch until you pointed it out on the podcast. This steadily builds to the attraction itself, which is excellent.

I haven’t seen/read the Time Machine film/book, but I have heard about it, and from what I can tell this is fairly accurate (to the point of including giant crabs) retelling that is nevertheless exciting and surprising for the average guests. You immediately jump away from the expected “time travel” plots of Medieval Ages or Wild West and head straight to the beginning and ends of time! Despite this grand scope, the Time Machine never feels too crazy, kept grounded with little quirks and hidden details.

Kudos to including those crabs from the novel. Although I sincerely question how the end of time results in two giant crabs having a smash brawl… if it was in the novel, don’t question it lol? It's such a strange concept I think it’d be absolutely hilarious to see in person, even if it's meant to intimidate.

Overall, I don't have much to say other than bravo! This is a fantastic project that I hope continues beyond this finale. There’s great potential here, even if you have a lot on your plate upcoming with the hosting Madcap Circus (good luck!). Regardless of what the future holds, I’m looking forward to what you bring in future Imagineering competitions and independent projects.​
Really appreciate the feedback. Once Madcap Circus starts I plan on beginning Discovery Bay in earnest. I’ve already started rewriting The Time Machine, but I just haven’t had the time to actually sit down and write for an extended period of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom