New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

owlsandcoffee

I have a pretty strong feeling that gradually that theming will fade away (same as with SW:GE) and we'll see less specific stuff. Maybe different Pixar IPs, stuff that isn't supposed to be super huge, etc.

UNCgolf

I have a pretty strong feeling that gradually that theming will fade away (same as with SW:GE) and we'll see less specific stuff. Maybe different Pixar IPs, stuff that isn't supposed to be super huge, etc.

That's another problem with the land, though -- there's really not room to build anything else (that I'm aware of, at least) or change much without basically tearing something down and replacing it. Slinky Dog Dash takes up a ton of real estate (there's room to put something small things in a couple of areas under the track, but certainly not anything major).

I think the only option to add anything without tearing down Alien SS or SDD is to tear down and/or retheme Woody's Lunch Box, but that's just a QS restaurant. You could also get rid of the seating area next to it, but then you eliminate some of the only shade in the land (the umbrellas) as well as, you know, anywhere for people to actually sit down with their food.

owlsandcoffee

That's another problem with the land, though -- there's really not room to build anything else (that I'm aware of, at least) or change much without basically tearing something down and replacing it. Slinky Dog Dash takes up a ton of real estate (there's room to put something small things in a couple of areas under the track, but certainly not anything major).

I think the only option to add anything without tearing down Alien SS or SDD is to tear down and/or retheme Woody's Lunch Box, but that's just a QS restaurant. You could also get rid of the seating area next to it, but then you eliminate some of the only shade in the land (the umbrellas) as well as, you know, anywhere for people to actually sit down with their food.

Pixar Place is still hiding behind TSM. It's possible that one day they'll make the exit look better than a 90s mall and do an Al's Toy Barn or something. I feel like the Flying Saucers are expendable.

UNCgolf

Pixar Place is still hiding behind TSM. It's possible that one day they'll make the exit look better than a 90s mall and do an Al's Toy Barn or something. I feel like the Flying Saucers are expendable.

Isn't Pixar Place basically just a street with the TSM show building on one side and the MMRR show building on the other side? I don't think there's room to actually put anything there.

I could be wrong about that; I'm just going off memory.

As for the saucers -- I wish they'd tear them down right now; total waste of space. They could put a couple of spinners under the SDD tracks and build something else there. But there's very little chance they're going to demolish a ride they just built a few years ago. I imagine that ride will be there for at least a couple more decades.

Last edited:

owlsandcoffee

Isn't Pixar Place basically just a street with the TSM show building on one side and the MMRR show building on the other side? I don't think there's room to actually put anything there.

I could be wrong about that; I'm just going off memory.

You are correct! I was referring more to opening that road back up for access to a gift shop, in the space where the exit shop for TSM is now (it's in the corner of the TSM building). And agreed on the saucers.

No Name

It would've been cool if they built a Hotwheels version of a Speedway kind of ride that went around the land and under/over the coaster. Unfortunately that would be really hard to do now.

UNCgolf

It would've been cool if they built a Hotwheels version of a Speedway kind of ride that went around the land and under/over the coaster. Unfortunately that would be really hard to do now.

Yep. They used up so much space for Slinky and now most of that land is unusable for anything else. It would have made a lot more sense to either design Slinky more compactly or do what you suggested.

Plus they then could have finally gotten rid of the Tomorrowland Speedway and used that space for something better. With another version of it at DHS, it would be hard for anyone to complain.

Amidala

They took the concept of a “Toy Land” and made it as generic as possible. What gives? Every time I watch Laurel and Hardy’s Babes in Toyland, or play a toy themed level in a video game, I’m giddy with colorful sights I’m about to see. What happened with this one?

Toy Story has a much higher emphasis on characters rather than memorable locations. So create a new location that is interesting in a theme park, and feature the characters in the attractions.

Totally agree with this. I think Disney's recent insistence on creating every land with the intention of "transporting" you somewhere (in the very specific, post-WWOHP sense) is starting to limit them. With certain areas like Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, etc. this approach makes sense. But I think a more whimsical and colorful TSL (along the lines of what you've suggested) would have more visual appeal for adults and excite kids more. I would prefer that over "barren wasteland with an overly comprehensive backstory to justify its existence" which is pretty much what we've gotten.

Bocabear

At night it doesn't look too bad, but the rest of the time TSL looks awful... A HUUUGe piece of real estate for two attractions, and the swirling saucers are just poorly placed and designed... It could and should have been so much nicer... Imagine if it had all been built indoors and sharing a space with Pizza Planet...where you could watch the saucers swirling through outer space while you dine... Win, Win...and a cool place to get out of the sun...
I can't believe people aren't bored with the whole giant fiberglass toy backyard thing... It's like the zenith of Disney creativity is throwing fiberglass props around cheap hotels and carnival rides. ( i know the coaster is more complex than that )...but the finished product kind of cheapens it. it's like we have been transported to a carnival at the All Star resort... ugh.

aliceismad

I like the backyard you're-a-toy theme to Toy Story Land. I thought it was fun to walk around admiring all of the different toys (many of which my kid didn't know). There was a lot of nostalgia and fun there. Also, Toy Story is arguably the most important movie in the history of computer animation, so I understand why it was chosen for the land over a mishmash of Pixar products or another Pixar IP for a park that is (theoretically) supposed to celebrate Hollywood/movies. Also we love Slinky.

But I also have fond memories of Honey I Shrunk the Kids as a child, so maybe I have a fondness for the perspective of being shrunk down to toy/bug size.

I do agree that the use of space was not very efficient and the lack of shade was a ridiculous oversight. I think they missed opportunities to be more fun, to have interactive elements to the design, to add another ride or show perhaps. Also other parks have shown us how rides can be integrated in much more dynamic ways.

Bocabear

The fiberglass toys are fun to look at once.... Then I wonder why recent Imagineering at many properties has been reduced to the laziness of fiberglass toy props...

aliceismad

The fiberglass toys are fun to look at once.... Then I wonder why recent Imagineering at many properties has been reduced to the laziness of fiberglass toy props...
I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that some of the elements of Pandora ended up not working.

Bocabear

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that some of the elements of Pandora ended up not working.
So since parts of Pandora did not work a few years ago, we will just use giant fiberglass props in our next expansion?
I think the whole "Andy's Backyard" is a real loser of an idea... DCA gets Carsland, we get Andy's crappy backyard full of fiberglass props.
They can do better and should have.

aliceismad

I’m just curious what elements of Pandora ended up not working? I was never super involved in the Pandora threads
I believe there were some lighting concepts/interactive bits that have never functioned properly.

So since parts of Pandora did not work a few years ago, we will just use giant fiberglass props in our next expansion?
I think the whole "Andy's Backyard" is a real loser of an idea... DCA gets Carsland, we get Andy's crappy backyard full of fiberglass props.
You're entitled to your opinion. Cars works in DCA - the American West is the home of Route 66. The Toy Story franchise is a better IP in my opinion for a park about Hollywood and for the national/international audience.

As for the fiberglass props, yes, they could've done better. Yes, Carsland is better by a long shot. But they should hold up well in the Florida sun and weather, and we all know that WDW is not maintained the way it should be. Also, I would say TSL is better than Pixar Place (which I realize was an overlay but bleh).

I'm curious as to what would you have proposed as a Toy Story setting vs. Andy's backyard?

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Andy's Backyard might have worked (or at least, worked better) as a concept if they committed to it in the style of the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" area -- giant blades of grass and all -- in a way that really made guests feel like they were toy-sized, exploring an actual backyard. Unfortunately, they didn't, and it doesn't.

aliceismad

Andy's Backyard might have worked (or at least, worked better) as a concept if they committed to it in the style of the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" area -- giant blades of grass and all -- in a way that really made guests feel like they were toy-sized, exploring an actual backyard. Unfortunately, they didn't, and it doesn't.
I can see that. It would be nice if they had integrated a fun playground for kiddos. With some shade.

UNCgolf

I'm curious as to what would you have proposed as a Toy Story setting vs. Andy's backyard?

I don't think it was a good idea to build an "in-character" Toy Story setting at all, because as you suggested, there really aren't any good options. They could have just built an additional themed ride and not worried about trying to make it an overall land.

Slinky Dog Dash with a queue that took you through Andy's bedroom would have probably been more interesting than anything else that exists in the current land.

Last edited:

No Name

Imagine you are walking through Andy's bedroom or some room in Andy's house, you pass by a window, and out of the window you see his yard with a model of Toy Story Land actually built with toys. Then once you leave the room and enter his yard, you are in that world you just saw. Maybe it's a corny idea but right now the entrances to the land are pretty weak and I think that would be an awesome reveal. It's something they could still feasibly do too.

Bocabear

I believe there were some lighting concepts/interactive bits that have never functioned properly.

You're entitled to your opinion. Cars works in DCA - the American West is the home of Route 66. The Toy Story franchise is a better IP in my opinion for a park about Hollywood and for the national/international audience.

As for the fiberglass props, yes, they could've done better. Yes, Carsland is better by a long shot. But they should hold up well in the Florida sun and weather, and we all know that WDW is not maintained the way it should be. Also, I would say TSL is better than Pixar Place (which I realize was an overlay but bleh).

Honestly international travelers are fascinated by the American West...not some suburban kid's back yard. The American West does not exist anywhere else...And at WDW, Big Thunder Mountain set in the American West is not only a popular ride but loved for it's theming...To suggest Carsland would not have been a HUGE hit at WDW is just foolish... Radiator Springs Racers blows anything WDW has built out of the water... The additional shops and details create about the best immersive environment WDI has ever built...It is colorful and beautiful eye candy everywhere... and not Fiberglass toy props and a shadeless suburban back yard setting... If WDW didn't already Have the All Star hotels and the Pop Century Art Of Imagination resorts it might have looked unique...but they have had all of these hotels for 15 plus years, so the giant props thing is not fresh or unique, and they are a symbol of VALUE (cheap) Engineering in theme settings... Why should anyone applaud this? Coaster is cute... Swirling saucers could be cute, whole land overall not so great...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom