News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Who has gotten the chance to ride the new version yet?
I have. I actually enjoyed it though I still thought the ending was rushed (albeit the projection mapping and scents do elevate the scene from what existed before).

There were still some macabre/evil witch elements which I liked. The mine scene was great in execution. Overall I think it was a solid refresh.

The Aracuan Bird

Losing splash mountain started out as a few people making claims like this and others claiming 'no one is canceling it, calm down'... And look what happened. Best to call out idiocy the moment a single person promotes it.
The difference is, that was something old they wanted to change.

This is something new they just put in. They JUST spent money on it. It’s safe. For awhile at least.

Californian Elitist

I have. I actually enjoyed it though I still thought the ending was rushed (albeit the projection mapping and scents do elevate the scene from what existed before).

There were still some macabre/evil witch elements which I liked. The mine scene was great in execution. Overall I think it was a solid refresh.
Can you remember if that long pause before the witch transformation dialogue is still there?

yensidtlaw1969

Can you remember if that long pause before the witch transformation dialogue is still there?
That seems to be a byproduct of them slowing down the ride vehicles. Which seems to be a nice enough change through the rest of the ride, making it longer overall, but it does sort of awkwardly increase the length of the silence before that scene starts.

yensidtlaw1969

Losing splash mountain started out as a few people making claims like this and others claiming 'no one is canceling it, calm down'... And look what happened. Best to call out idiocy the moment a single person promotes it.
That’s so not what happened in the case of Splash Mountain. It goes way, WAY deeper than “a few people complained”.

Californian Elitist

That seems to be a byproduct of them slowing down the ride vehicles. Which seems to be a nice enough change through the rest of the ride, making it longer overall, but it does sort of awkwardly increase the length of the silence before that scene starts.
I remember watching the ride-through and I thought the pause was a bit awkward. I thought it was a little too long, but I need to ride it in person.

DanielBB8

The perfect example of "Tell me you didn't do your reading without telling me you didn't do your reading".

Here's the tweet from Jim Shull, featuring the screen grab from Fox News:

View attachment 555957

And here's an article from Fox News on the subject:

Notice that the ONLY, ONLY "backlash" they cite is . . . Big Surprise! The Article from SFGate:

However, it's the "true love's kiss" grand finale between Snow White and her prince that is drawing scrutiny from the San Francisco Gate.

The Furor they're referring to is all the people jumping down the throat of the SFGate Writer telling her to get off her high horse because they only read the headlines that say "Cancel Culture Targets Snow White" instead of paying attention to the actual conversation. NOBODY is campaigning for Disney to change Snow White's Enchanted Wish.

You both keep falling for bad reporting when clicking the links in the article would quickly get you to the bottom of what's happening. Which is basically nothing. The only "life of its own" is people perpetuating the myth that people are going after Snow White, insisting Disney change the brand new ride. Which they wouldn't be doing even if that WAS happening, which it isn't, soooo . . .

And you wonder why everyone else in this thread is exhausted by this . . .
You didn’t need the screen grab because the article already have the tweet in the article. Did you read the article?
The social media furor is what the article said. What makes you say that’s all that it’s saying? What’s the actual conversation?
4F77F3A7-5A12-4ACA-9036-AA6A9D33BB7E.jpeg

waltography

I personally don't mind the long silence; there's something cinematic and unnerving about approaching the creaking dungeon doors and kind of sneaking up on the Evil Queen before her transformation that fits the mood of the scene.

(I also need to ride it in person first, though, so my opinion may change.)

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The pause still felt prevalent here. But I don’t fully remember how it existed before. It did feel fairly long still. During the transformation scene itself the projection mapping was very visually prevalent here too and made the transformation feel more pronounced.

I will say without the “dark woods” the sequence does play a bit differently. The ride in general feels brighter. Perhaps because it was a light day, but there are now distinguishable differences between Toad and Pinnochio vs Alice and SWEW in terms of visuals and color palate. The former feel visually dark, and I forgot how dark these were. Perhaps it’s because my eyes hadn’t adjusted since it was a bright day and I hadn’t worn sun glasses as my face mask would have fogged them up.

Oooo, I didn't know they added scents. Flower scent?
The scent was very distinct even with a face mask and seemed to be a hit. I do think the floral scents and the lighting in both the mine and conclusion will be much more appealing to families/kids. It literally and figuratively lightens the “mood” of the ride. That said, it’s still a relatively abrupt ending but one that generally lifts the spirits a bit more than before.

yensidtlaw1969

You didn’t need the screen grab because the article already have the tweet in the article. Did you read the article?
The social media furor is what the article said. What makes you say that’s all that it’s saying? What’s the actual conversation?
View attachment 555997
I added the screenshot for the convenience of people reading this thread. It's called being considerate. Clearly I read the article if I knew what tweet to show in the screenshot. Apologies for being thorough.

The only furor on Social Media is the response to the misleading headlines, as evidenced by the fact that I've both searched for and repeatedly asked for anyone to present evidence of an opinion that sympathizes with the SFGate article, and *not one* has been found by me or anyone else.

I've been following the conversation, and the only conversation is outrage is from people responding to the headlines and then digging their heels in when anyone suggests that if they actually read the article it only refers to the one, cosmically unimportant SFGate review, and that the headlines make a big deal out of nothing.

This thread has become a microcosm of that conversation.

yensidtlaw1969

I searched Twitter and came with this gem. These things aren’t new.
View attachment 556014
Wow. One mother from the UK called for Sleeping Beauty (not even Snow White) to be banned in 2017 and got absolutely no traction and affected no change from Disney.

That this is the best example you could find of anything like what I asked for is *really* telling.

yensidtlaw1969

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. As a theme park fan I'm concerned and the response from some themepark fans is that talking about these articles is a conspiracy itsself and the article never existed.

Apparently some believe the people who are mad about articles that drum up controversey against Snow White, are actually mad at nothing and created these articles in their head.

I don't get it...
You seem to be misremembering things.

EVERYONE has admitted the SFGate article exists - we reference it frequently.

What DOESN'T exist is any meaningful response to that first article that says "You know what, this writer has the right idea, let's call on Disney to change the Snow White Ride". I have asked YOU specifically several times to link to even one article like that, and you have offered nothing. I have also found nothing in my search, so I feel safe concluding that doesn't exist.

If you provide evidence otherwise I'll gladly agree with its existence - though I won't necessarily agree that ONE more article is really anything to worry about - but in the meantime, you should stop using the plural "articles" when you mean "one article". That's exactly the kind of editorializing that has caused people to believe there's been an enthusiastic response to the SFGate article when actually the response has been exclusively and overwhelmingly negative. The headlines make it sound like an outpouring of "criticism" about the new ride, when it was actually just one article.

You can be mad that the "Cancel Culture Aims Next For Snow White"-type articles that have been written in response to the SFGate article are drumming up controversy about Snow White - that is very clearly my stance and I would agree with your frustration. It is SO frustrating. But that's not what you've been saying. You've been insisting that the SFGate article either has or will inspire people to add their voices and join up to insist Disney change the ride, which has demonstrably not happened.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

Wow. One mother from the UK called for Sleeping Beauty (not even Snow White) to be banned in 2017 and got absolutely no traction and affected no change from Disney.

That this is the best example you could find of anything like what I asked for is *really* telling.
That’s a lot of goal post moving. I thought it was just the conversation that you’re most interested.

lazyboy97o

I mean honestly whether it's fake headlines generating controversey over Snow White or the source articles itsself doesn't really matter.

Fake headlines are enough to cause a movement. I can all but guarantee millions of people have read fake headlines about Snow White already and think it's offensive and being cancelled.

I'm sure many are already thinking it's another piece of media that is now taboo in current times.
This sounds like Satanic Panic.

yensidtlaw1969

That’s a lot of goal post moving. I thought it was just the conversation that you’re most interested.
I've said many times "Show one response to the SFGate article that agrees and says Disney should change the Snow White Ride". That's not what you did. Telling you that isn't moving a goalpost, that's confirming you haven't met it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom