For Those Keeping Score At Home: DLR vs. WDW Attraction Tally '17

Phroobar

I'm really hoping that once turtle talk with crush moves to Pixar Pier that they consider moving frozen meet and greet I to that theater space.

When the park first opened that theater was much larger. When they turned it Into turtle talk it seem to get quite small. My guess is that their is a large part of the actual original al theater hidden behind the small screen for tech.
Why not turn that into dressing rooms and move th frozen girls there.

It's a shame that they destroyed the sorcerers workshop just to turn it into a dressing room for frozen girls when they have other large unused spaces in the park
I miss Ursula's grotto. It was extremely well themed and I liked adding my voice to cartoon characters.

Curious Constance

I'm really hoping that once turtle talk with crush moves to Pixar Pier that they consider moving frozen meet and greet I to that theater space.

When the park first opened that theater was much larger. When they turned it Into turtle talk it seem to get quite small. My guess is that their is a large part of the actual original al theater hidden behind the small screen for tech.
Why not turn that into dressing rooms and move th frozen girls there.

It's a shame that they destroyed the sorcerers workshop just to turn it into a dressing room for frozen girls when they have other large unused spaces in the park
Why on earth are they not using studio c?

amjt660

Premium Member
As an aging and native West Coaster who lived on the East Coast for the last couple decades of the 20th century, I’ve always been fascinated by the differences between Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

Three months ago Walt Disney World opened its long-awaited Pandora land in Animal Kingdom, with two new rides including the E Ticket Flight of Passage. And today two classic E Ticket attractions close forever at Walt Disney World; Universe of Energy and The Great Movie Ride. Both of these old-school attractions defined their respective parks when they opened as headliners in 1982 and 1989. They will be replaced obviously, but their replacements won’t be opening for three years or more from now.

So how does the attraction lineup stand when the parks open for the day tomorrow on August 14th, 2017?

The Disneyland Resort has 75 Attractions.
55 of which are “rides” that involve moving vehicles.
16 of those are major E Ticket rides.

Disneyland Park has 45 Attractions, 34 are rides, and 11 of those are E Tickets (Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Small World, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarine Voyage, Space Mountain, Star Tours)

Disney California Adventure Park has 30 Attractions, 21 are rides, and 5 of those are E Tickets (Soarin', Radiator Springs Racers, Mission: BREAKOUT, California Screamin', Grizzly River Run).

Walt Disney World has 83 Attractions.
45 of which are “rides” that involve moving vehicles.
19 of those are major E Ticket rides.

Magic Kingdom Park has 36 Attractions, 25 are rides, and 7 of those are E Tickets (Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Small World, Space Mountain).

EPCOT has 21 Attractions, 7 are rides, 4 are E Tickets (Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space, Test Track, Soarin').

Disney's Hollywood Studios has 12 Attractions, 4 are rides, 3 are E Tickets (Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours).

Disney's Animal Kingdom has 15 Attractions, 9 are rides, 5 are E Tickets (Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River Run, Dinosaur).

Surprised? I'm not. But then I'm weird enough to keep track of this sort of thing. :cool:

Great comparison
Thank you for taking the time to do it

I am not surprised by the count

On a recent trip to wdw I was mildly annoyed with how I had to go to all 4 parks to ride the e tickets because they are spread out so much
Going to DLR is so much more efficient and enjoyable

Max

rreading

Agreed! Ride counts are fun, but they don't factor at all into the feeling you get when you walk underneath Spaceship Earth for the first time during a trip (or ever), travel to the MK by boat via Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon, look up at Mary Blair's Grand Canyon Concourse mural at the Contemporary, etc. I love Disneyland like everyone else here and the vast amount of attractions we have in a relatively small space, but when it comes to attraction count at WDW, it is definitely more than the sum of its parts!

I'm looking forward to my renewed impression in our next trip to DL next spring, but in our last visit to CA, I really missed these aspects of our trips to WDW!

I suspect that ultimately as serious Disney fans, we love what we have grown up loving, and appreciate the difference of the other. The castle is probably the perfect (and most obvious) example of this: by all means, Sleeping Beauty's castle is gorgeous but you commonly hear the term "charming" - which really doesn't apply to Cinderella's castle. Our castle at WDW could diminutively be called ostentatious, or from our perspective "magnificent." What I know is that I can hardly help taking photo after photo of it whenever I am near it.

TP2000

Original Poster
Ha! I was looking for an updated list just the other day. I even started and Excel sheet to tabulate the data myself. If @TP2000 doesn't have an answer, I'll share my amateur attempt.

The whole thing is a mess in Disneyland, thanks to Governor Newsom and his endless mandates and governmental over-reach.

I have no idea what the current tally is in early May, 2021. The Submarines are closed, the Canoes are closed, Storybook Land is closed. But something tells me that even with all the closures from our betters in Sacramento, Disneyland still has more operating rides than all of WDW combined.

Buy me a drink and I'll sit down and count it all up officially for both coasts. But that's my hunch right now at 11pm Pacific time, sipping a Cognac I bought myself. ;)

cmwade77

The whole thing is a mess in Disneyland, thanks to Governor Newsom and his endless mandates and governmental over-reach.

I have no idea what the current tally is in early May, 2021. The Submarines are closed, the Canoes are closed, Storybook Land is closed. But something tells me that even with all the closures from our betters in Sacramento, Disneyland still has more operating rides than all of WDW combined.

Buy me a drink and I'll sit down and count it all up officially for both coasts. But that's my hunch right now at 11pm Pacific time, sipping a Cognac I bought myself. ;)
In all fairness, the submarines are essentially a petri dish, even before COVID. The capacity on Storybook was so low without social distancing that now you might be lucky to get two parties to a boat, but likely still too close to the CM giving the spiel. And the canoes, well no real loss there, but it would mean that you would be helping to power it with about 40% of the normal manpower.

I'm no fan of all of the restrictions Sacramento has, but I do understand these wouldn't have been able to reopen in the present climate, even if the state didn't impose restrictions, as the general public wouldn't accept it.

Anjin

Thanks for the wait, everyone. It's been a long week, but I finally have the number together. A word on my methodology: I took my list of attractions from the appropriate disney.go.com sites for the resorts. I consolidated where I felt it appropriate (i.e. the Railroad and Main Street Vehicles only count for a single ride each, nixed all of the holiday version, etc.) Then I decided which attractions count as rides. I'll post a copy of my spreadsheet for the curious this weekend if anyone wants to question my calls.

And now:

Disneyland Resort: 54 rides, 42 open
  • Disneyland: 35 rides, 26 open
  • California Adventure: 19 rides, 16 open
Walt Disney World: 52 rides, 49 open
  • Magic Kingdom: 25 rides, 23 open
  • Epcot: 10 rides, 9 open
  • Hollywood Studios: 9 rides, 9 open
  • Animal Kingdom: 8 rides, 8 open

Last edited:

Little Green Men

Thanks for the wait, everyone. It's been a long week, but I finally have the number together. A word on my methodology: I took my list of attractions from the appropriate disney.go.com sites for the resorts. I consolidated where I felt it appropriate (ie. the Railroad and Main Street Vehicles only count for a single ride each, nixed all of the holiday version, etc.) Then I decided which attractions count as rides. I'll post a copy of my spreadsheet for the curious this weekend if anyone wants to question my calls.

And now:

Disneyland Resort: 54 rides, 42 open
  • Disneyland: 35 rides, 26 open
  • California Adventure: 19 rides, 16 open
Walt Disney World:
  • Magic Kingdom: 24 rides, 23 open
  • Epcot: 10 rides, 9 open
  • Hollywood Studios: 8 rides, 8 open
  • Animal Kingdom: 8 rides, 8 open
DHS has 9 rides and Epcot only has 8 open rides until Ratatouille opens

Anjin

DHS has 9 rides and Epcot only has 8 open rides until Ratatouille opens
Thanks for the catch! I had misfiled The Seas with Nemo and Friends as a ride (that's what I get for trusting go.com) and accidently put Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in Disney Springs. :) The numbers include nearly open rides like Ratatouille and Web Slingers.

Totals are being updated.

Little Green Men

Thanks for the catch! I had misfiled The Seas with Nemo and Friends as a ride (that's what I get for trusting go.com) and accidently put Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in Disney Springs. :) The numbers include nearly open rides like Ratatouille and Web Slingers.

Totals are being updated.
Oh actually you were right haha I miscounted. The seas is a ride, it’s an omnimover. The rides are Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Living with the Land, Soarin, Imagination, Test Track, Mission: Space, Gran Fiesta, Frozen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom