So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

Sharon&Susan

I just realized why your avatar is intimidating to me thus making it no longer intimidating
Well then, I'll just change it back to what it was before!
gene wilder good day sir GIF

JokersWild

Original Poster

Pixar Rankings.png

So, You Want to be an Imagineer Historical Retrospective - Season 9

Season 9 - The Legend of Outcast Island
Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and Stratofarious

(Summer 2011)
1. Adv.BlueDude (@JokersWild)
2. Disneyson1
3. Hack2112
4. Imagineer2017
5. Thrill
6. Futureimagineer
7. DWorld
8. CoastaFreak
9. Monkey4057 (@monkey92514)
10. @MANEATINGWREATH
11. StarWarsGeek
12. DisneyParksFanatic
13. Eskimokyle
14. @Basketbuddy101
15. MickeyMania1
Season 9 would be a turning point for the game. Certainly the most dynamic of the VisionsFantastic seasons (and maybe even of all time,) Season 9 perfected a few of the game's core elements, such as Walt's Vault, which now bounces between players each round with the holder being given the choice of opening the vault for a shot at a good or bad power, or passing it off. Season 9 is perhaps most famous for its titular gameplay element - Outcast Island. Instead of being eliminated, players would be sent to Outcast Island where they would be able to keep playing, competing against other eliminated players for the chance to return to the main game.

Outcast Island and the new and improved Walt's Vault were both introduced primarily to encourage players to play strategically rather than strictly creatively. Further re-enforcing the strategy, and the long-setup idea of necessary research, the semi-finals and final projects were revealed with the first project - an attraction based on LOST, and a Blue-Sky Project coupled with an outline of finalists' season-long strategy.

Players were separated into three teams - Team Davis, Team Coates, Team Baxter, and on Outcast Island, Team Bluth. The tone of the season was immediately set when Walt's Vault sent @JokersWild straight to Outcast Island after the first project. However, things were so much worse for those in the main game as the game came to a screeching halt with the start of what is now known as
PM-Gate.

StarWarsGeek, a brand new player, took the call for strategy to heart and began sending individual PMs to most everyone in the game trying to make alliances while also secretly working to turn everyone against each other. He did this so that the old players would be busy fighting each other, giving the newer players a better shot at winning the season - like an anarchistic Robin Hood. With a cast so large, and a community so close, word quickly got out, the game broke down, and it took StarWarsGeek publicly apologizing to get the game back on track.

Season 9 had a number of firsts, namely the first instance of story within the game, presented as an audio drama courtesy of Stratofarious. This season also saw the first audio submission, submitted by Disneyson1 for Project 3 which asked for a themepark-centric That Guy With the Glasses character.

Despite such an explosive start, the rest of the season went mostly without a hitch. After multiple stays on Outcast Island, though admittedly very little strategy, and a (humbly) stellar LOST project, @JokersWild won the season, their first of two. I still have never watched an episode of LOST.

As I'm sure you all can tell, Season 9 was a complicated season with quite a few unique elements. Outcast Island never returned, though there was a sort of spiritual successor with @RMichael21's The Sole imagineer Season 2 and, of course, @TheOriginalTiki's 1984 and 1986. This was also the first season in which the final projects were revealed at the beginning of the season, aside from a similar concept that popped up in Season 10.

Almanac
(NOTE: All of these projects are lost, so I'm just going to be posting project titles)
Animaniac E-Ticket
Imagineering Book
A Themepark-Centric That Guy with the Glasses Character
Attraction-based Dining
A Portal Attraction
A Batman Attraction
LOST

---------------------------------
This is probably going to be the longest one. There's a ton of info cut that I'm sure @TheOriginalTiki will get into, but I've been trying to keep these posts on the shorter side. Despite the controversy and dubious set-up, I'm still super proud of winning this season, and it still stands as my favorite season alongside Season 8.

The Season 10 retrospective might be coming sooner rather than later. I have a party to go to tomorrow, and I'm not sure if I'll have the time to write it up in the morning.

Last edited:

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
StarWarsGeek, a brand new player, took the call for strategy to heart and began sending individual PMs to most everyone in the game trying to make alliances while also secretly working to turn everyone against each other. He did this so that the old players would be busy fighting each other, giving the newer players a better shot at winning the season - like an anarchistic Robin Hood. With a cast so large, and a community so close, word quickly got out, the game broke down, and it took StarWarsGeek publicly apologizing to get the game back on track.
So,....okay,....
This seems like the kinda strategy play that the creators were looking for. Like this is some straight from Big Brother level shenanigans.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Pixar Rankings.png

So, You Want to be an Imagineer Historical Retrospective - Season 10
Season 10 - The Anniversary Edition
Hosted by @TheOriginalTiki

(Winter 2011)
1. @Snoopy
2. @Basketbuddy101
3. Adv.BlueDude (@JokersWild)
4. Hack2112
5. Thrill
6. @MANEATINGWREATH
7. Monkey2054 (@monkey92514)
8. @comics101
9. FrontierlandFan (@OwlSong74)
10. @mickeyfan5534
11. @DisneyManOne
12. StarWarsGeek
13. FutureImagineer
14. PhineasTheGhost
Following the controversial and strategy-laden Seasons 8 and 9, Season 10 was surprisingly low-key. A total of fourteen players were split into three teams - Team Marceline, Team Burbank, and Team Emmeryville. This was the second season to reveal the final project at the beginning of the season, albeit in a very interesting way - Each of the players worked individually during the first project to design queues for the attraction that would be their final project.

Season 10 is also famous for being the second time that @MANEATINGWREATH was Lord of the Rings'd, this time getting Miyazaki'd.

The only real point of controversy came in the semi-finals. Season 7 player and actual real-life imagineer MouseketeerCole was brought back to pick one of the semi-finalists to move on to finals. Despite having a pretty short and barebones project, Snoopy was picked to continue on to finals over @JokersWild. As you can tell, it was a pretty laid back season.

Last edited:

JokersWild

Original Poster
So,....okay,....
This seems like the kinda strategy play that the creators were looking for. Like this is some straight from Big Brother level shenanigans.
Yeah I think it was very much a situation of the judges getting exactly what they wanted, but not in the way they wanted it. Obviously, tiki can speak about it more since I was sequestered on my island, but it was a pretty crazy day. Honestly, that whole season was full of shenanigans.

Speaking as someone who took part in the previous season of SYWTBAI, shenanigans involving alliances definitely abound.
Thankfully the shenanigans have subsided mostly in recent seasons. There are always some loose alliances, but nothing quite as bad as it was on VisionsFantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom