News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Castle Cake Apologist

There is no "woke" movement looking to cancel Snow White, or this ride, or its ending. That "movement" doesn't exist except in the minds of people who want to paint the whole "woke movement" with the stupidity of the one author in question who thinks the prince is kissing someone he thinks is sleeping rather than dead.

I'm woke and I'm OK with the new ending of the ride and the movie in general.

Disney's woke, and they're OK with the new ending of the ride and the movie in general.

There are no marches or Twitter hashtag movements to "cancel" Snow White or this ride.

Doesn't exist.

Except as one person's idiocy and as a right-wing straw man.

And now, this...

I'm begging you to clarify in your post that Babylon Bee is a satire outlet before this erupts into something even more ridiculous in here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Clearly people think the film has a serious issue and it needs to be seriously discussed.
What people? A few loud mouths on social media? Someone who misses a plot point and writes an opinion piece based on their ignorance in some forgettable online journal?

This "people" is part of the straw man. It's claiming this is problematic for a significant number of people. But, what number? Three people? A hundred? 0.0001% of the population? "Everyone!!!"?

Don't tell me what "people" think unless you can back up with data how large this population is, otherwise, it's a statement without meaning.

CaptinEO

What people? A few loud mouths on social media? Someone who misses a plot point and writes an opinion piece based on their ignorance in some forgettable online journal?

This "people" is part of the straw man. It's claiming this is problematic for a significant number of people. But, what number? Three people? A hundred? 0.0001% of the population? "Everyone!!!"?

Don't tell me what "people" think unless you can back up with data how large this population is, otherwise, it's a statement without meaning.
Oh I agree with you entirely.

It's a squeaky wheel gets the grease scenario with online outrage. It's a small minority of people that make all the fuss.

This ignorant opinion piece journalist and those that pushed her argument even further are the ones who will clamor the most and sadly be heard the most.

I will defend Snow White and media in general as I think it's a straw man whenever society tries to blame media for its problems.

lazyboy97o

Yet Little Mermaid has a ride with a "kiss the girl" scene where they encourage Prince Eric to kiss unconsenting Ariel.
Ariel wants to be kissed…
People claim "they are just using Snow White to have a conversation about consent". Why do you need a cartoon movie to have a discussion?
Fiction reflects reality. How things are presented in fiction are a reflection of certain values. Would you be okay if the heroes in Disney movies were all Stalinists?
Why do you need to target a single piece of media with a non consential kiss when there are millions of others?
Nobody is targeting a single piece of media.

mickEblu

D70DBFCF-4CE0-4118-9C25-A95ACC07520B.jpeg

Disney Analyst

So does Snow White. She has a whole scene talking and singing about meeting the Prince (telling the Dwarves). When she wakes up she hugs and holds the Prince.

Why does Prince Eric get a pass when Prince Charming doesn't? Cause its a childhood film for younger folks so they don't want to see any issues in it?

I would be OK with any creator telling any type of story with whatever characters they wanted with complete creative freedom.

This article targets Snow White entirely.

In the end, it comes down to the person who received the kiss to determine if consent was given / if the kiss was okay.

Had Snow White woken up and slapped the Prince, we'd know that answer...

But seeing as Snow White wakes up and is elated to see her Prince, and then goes off with him... I'd say she was alright with it.

mickEblu

In the end, it comes down to the person who received the kiss to determine if consent was given / if the kiss was okay.

Had Snow White woken up and slapped the Prince, we'd know that answer...

But seeing as Snow White wakes up and is elated to see her Prince, and then goes off with him... I'd say she was alright with it.

Hey! I said the same thing and nobody cared. Maybe it’s my delivery?

DanielBB8

Here's a summary of the actual movie with the songs (I'm Wishing/One Song).

"Snow White sings her wishes of finding love into the wishing well, surrounded by her only friends, the doves.
The Prince sees her and listens to her song from a distance. When she finishes her song, he comes to the well beside her to proclaim his love for her, moved by her voice and beauty. Snow White runs away but listens from within the castle. The Evil Queen listens as well, which fuels her jealousy of Snow White.
Snow White sends the Prince a kiss through a dove."

The intent was already in the plot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's a summary of the actual movie with the songs (I'm Wishing/One Song).

"Snow White sings her wishes of finding love into the wishing well, surrounded by her only friends, the doves.
The Prince sees her and listens to her song from a distance. When she finishes her song, he comes to the well beside her to proclaim his love for her, moved by her voice and beauty. Snow White runs away but listens from within the castle. The Evil Queen listens as well, which fuels her jealousy of Snow White.
Snow White sends the Prince a kiss through a dove."

The intent was already in the plot.
Did the dove consent?

Disney Analyst

Hey! I said the same thing and nobody cared. Maybe it’s my delivery?

It may be delivery.

I can fully see both sides, so perhaps myself sharing why I believe consent can be perceived as given, while also understanding how women are portrayed in these early movies is not ideal, and that consent is an important topic to be taught is coloring how my post is received?

I do not think the ride would influence a swath of unwanted kissing, and I think anyone who knows the story understands the intent behind the kiss.

I also do not think Disney will change this, at least not anytime soon.

DanielBB8

But she may only be doing so because the Prince is in a position of power and she feels no choice but to accept his advances!
She is a princess, the step daughter of the evil Queen. She should have equal power, but don’t because of the Queen. If anything, her title can only be enhanced by the elimination of the Queen and marriage with the Prince. She inherits the Queen’s title and power. She managed to do both while being poisoned.

DavidDL

Interestingly, Snow White and the Prince do share a kiss before this moment in the film.. although it's thru proxy. Snow White uses a dove to initiate a kiss with the Prince and I think that is conveyed fairly well in the animation. She couldn't do it herself from the balcony but it's clear she would have. Not sure the Prince ever gets a chance to reciprocate the kiss, until the end.

Disney Analyst

I mean, it's either someone kisses her that she loves and she wakes up, or she slowly starves to death and we have a rotting corpse in the glass coffin... As again, the dwarves did not implement any life support machines to keep her alive while she slept. Unless the spell keeps her perfectly preserved for all time?

Hard to know what rules apply in fairytale land.

Castle Cake Apologist

I mean, it's either someone kisses her that she loves and she wakes up, or she slowly starves to death and we have a rotting corpse in the glass coffin... As again, the dwarves did not implement any life support machines to keep her alive while she slept. Unless the spell keeps her perfectly preserved for all time?

Hard to know what rules apply in fairytale land.

I believe the implication in the film is that she is more in a comatose state than actually dead, because the spell is called Sleeping Death, so that implies to some degree that she wasn't actually dead, just presumed so. What that means for her long-term prospects had Snow Prince not kissed her, I don't know lol.

Californian Elitist

I believe the implication in the film is that she is more in a comatose state than actually dead, because the spell is called Sleeping Death, so that implies to some degree that she wasn't actually dead, just presumed so. What that means for her long-term prospects had Snow Prince not kissed her, I don't know lol.
I remember being a kid and thinking she was dead. But I got older and realized that yes, Disney implies that she’s in a coma-like state. There’s a reference to her as “the maiden who slept in a glass coffin.” They also indicate that it’s been many months since she bit into the apple, with the seasons changing over the text in the film. If she was actually dead, she would have decayed, and yet she doesn’t lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom