News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

DrAlice

You don't ask someone if you can kiss them, if the moment is right you just have to try. Only a loser would say "excuse me may I please kiss you."
Hmmm.... Well, I guess I married a "loser". And for the record, that question was about 30 years ago, so he wasn't worried about "cancel culture". I didn't think he was a loser. I thought it was sweet.

Life is not black and white.

yensidtlaw1969

It is a 1937 cartoon movie for the love of God. A harmless sweet scene. People just enjoy trying to find drama and outrage where there is none.
I'd argue this specific situation is much more an example of people looking for any excuse to be outraged by anything they percieve as "cancel culture", since nobody was actually outraged by the scene itself but 2 dozen news sources gleefully ran headlines about the "outrage" the new Snow White ride was "causing", knowing full well their comment sections would be full of people screaming "DON'T THESE PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH THEIR LIVES THAN COMPLAIN ABOUT NOTHING???" with no clue how ironic that would be to say.

Sharon&Susan

Of course it would. Criticism of attractions isn't just limited to their actual content [see: Splash Mountain]. Eventually these ancient stories will be so far removed from public tastes and wants, that it will seem strange to have a ride based on the story of Snow White.

So what can be done? Do you reframe the inclusion of the attraction within the park in a historical sense? As a cautionary tale? As a museum piece? What's the point in celebrating a story when future generations don't know or care for the story any longer?
I mean we still look and retell Greek myth to this day thousands of years after they were written, despite everyone agreeing that Zeus is an absolutely horrid character. I don't see how it'd be different with the A Tier Fairytales.

Disney is the king of recycling, as long as they're around they're going to keep recycling Snow White solely for it being their first movie. I mean in the next 5 years alone we're going to have Enchanted 2 (with the Seven Dwarves) and live action Snow White remake. By the time that literally no one knows about Disney's Snow White anymore, I doubt they'll know about Buzz Lightyear, Tiana, Elsa, Iron Man, etc. or any other of Disney's current IPs that they'd replace it with.

Californian Elitist

You don't ask someone if you can kiss them, if the moment is right you just have to try. Only a loser would say "excuse me may I please kiss you."

When I did kiss the girl who I'm now married too she asked why it took me so long.

If you ask someone for every little thing you are shy, nervous, and lack any self confidence. None of which people are into. There's a difference between kissing someone who doesn't want you to kiss them, and initiating a new step in a relationship.
Woah.

If I ever have kids, particularly son, I will teach them to ask any person they are interested in if they may kiss them, even if they feel like the other person wants it. That's not "loser" behavior, that's respect. It's behavior that some of us find very appealing and welcoming.

Californian Elitist

I mean we still look and retell Greek myth to this day thousands of years after they were written, despite everyone agreeing that Zeus is an absolutely horrid character. I don't see how it'd be different with the A Tier Fairytales.

Disney is the king of recycling, as long as they're around they're going to keep recycling Snow White solely for it being their first movie. I mean in the next 5 years alone we're going to have Enchanted 2 (with the Seven Dwarves) and live action Snow White remake. By the time that literally no one knows about Disney's Snow White anymore, I doubt they'll know about Buzz Lightyear, Tiana, Elsa, Iron Man, etc. or any other of Disney's current IPs that they'd replace it with.
I think it's safe to say that something like Snow White will never be a story that eventually no one will know of. As you stated, many works of literature have survived hundreds of years.

mickEblu

Woah.

If I ever have kids, particularly son, I will teach them to ask any person they are interested in if they may kiss them, even if they feel like the other person wants it. That's not "loser" behavior, that's respect. It's behavior that some of us find very appealing and welcoming.

I wouldn’t say anyone who asks if they may kiss someone is a loser the same way if you don’t ask, that doesn’t NOT make you a gentleman if the situation is right. I do think more women are turned off by someone asking than offended by someone they re feeling kissing them without asking.

DavidDL

Everyone's situation is different. Logic doesn't always apply to love.

I would certainly hope, though, that when someone goes in for any kiss (whether they've decided to ask or not) they've spent enough time with the other person to know if what they're doing is right. If you're not sure, then you probably haven't spent enough time with 'em.

el_super

If they're going to have a Snow White ride at all, then something along the lines of the 1971 version would unironically be the way to do it if your assertion about nobody caring about the story anymore is true.

Well this is the crux of the problem right? They added more Snow White because they felt people wanted to see more of the central character, but for some that's opening up an uncomfortable discussion.

That brings this topic almost full circle: what's the point of a Snow White ride without Snow White? Was this ride meant as a tribute to the character? The movie? Or just meant to be a scary dark ride?

Is there still value in telling the story of Snow White and if so, what is it?

By the time that literally no one knows about Disney's Snow White anymore, I doubt they'll know about Buzz Lightyear, Tiana, Elsa, Iron Man, etc. or any other of Disney's current IPs that they'd replace it with.

We still retell Greek stories from ancient times, but how many of those are with a "new/modern" twist?

Snow White has already been retold in a modern way, that's not entirely compatible sith the 1937 movie.

If they remade the movie to eliminate the troublesome parts, should they redo the ride too?

Or keep the ride as a museum piece?

mickEblu

Well this is the crux of the problem right? They added more Snow White because they felt people wanted to see more of the central character, but for some that's opening up an uncomfortable discussion.

That brings this topic almost full circle: what's the point of a Snow White ride without Snow White? Was this ride meant as a tribute to the character? The movie? Or just meant to be a scary dark ride?

We still retell Greek stories from ancient times, but how many of those are with a "new/modern" twist?

Snow White has already been retold in a modern way, that's not entirely compatible sith the 1937 movie.

If they remade the movie to eliminate the troublesome parts, should they redo the ride too?

Or keep the ride as a museum piece?

I’m wagering you already went on Snow White’s Enchanted Wish and took a selfie with the new kiss scene.

el_super

I’m wagering you already went on Snow White’s Enchanted Wish and took a selfie with the new kiss scene.

LoL I already posted a bit of a review. The new scene feels as awkwardly staged to me as the old one. Where the scary forest scene seemed needlessly long, the kiss scene also seems needlessly long.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From the stupid article in question:

The new grand finale of Snow White's Enchanted Wish is the moment when the Prince finds Snow White asleep under the Evil Queen's spell and gives her "true love's kiss" to release her from the enchantment.

No. The Prince doesn't find her asleep. He didn't sneak into her bedroom. He finds her presumed dead on a funeral bier, on which she has been for a year.

End of story. This opinion piece is based on a falsehood. It's stupid.

He's kissing good-bye the presumed dead body of someone he was previously starting to have a romantic relationship with.

Anyone who thinks this is a matter of consent is... wrong. Just... wrong.

Practical Pig

From the stupid article in question:

The new grand finale of Snow White's Enchanted Wish is the moment when the Prince finds Snow White asleep under the Evil Queen's spell and gives her "true love's kiss" to release her from the enchantment.

No. The Prince doesn't find her asleep. He didn't sneak into her bedroom. He finds her presumed dead on a funeral bier, on which she has been for a year.

End of story. This opinion piece is based on a falsehood. It's stupid.

He's kissing good-bye the presumed dead body of someone he was previously starting to have a romantic relationship with.

Anyone who thinks this is a matter of consent is... wrong. Just... wrong.

This is the bottom line.

Okee68

My theoretical attraction would be a "villain ride;" a bizarro version of Snow White where nearly all the focus is on the Witch, but still with the familiar locales and art style of the film, as well as several appearances of the Dwarfs. If you're interested, I wrote a detailed description of the entire thing back in January in this thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ideal-dream-versions-of-existing-disney-attractions.971327/

The point of the ride is not to treat guests to the story of the film, rather put them into a fun, perilous scenario in which they assume the role of the damsel as the Witch hunts them down instead of Snow White. This is the same basic philosophy used for any Snow White, Mr. Toad, or Alice dark ride designed prior to the 1980s. Those old attractions each lacked in-ride appearances of the main character (this is still true for Toad), as you the rider were meant to assume their role. Here, however, it's far more excusable, as the ride is explicitly and obviously themed around the Witch alone, so there wouldn't be much of a reason to expect an appearance from Snow White to begin with.

Snow White has been done to death; it's one of Disney's most iconic features, and Snow White and the Dwarfs are certain to have a presence in any Disney park via walk-around characters regardless of whether or not there's a ride based on the film. For these reasons, you don't necessarily need the character of Snow White to be in a dark ride based on the film.

mickEblu

My theoretical attraction would be a "villain ride;" a bizarro version of Snow White where nearly all the focus is on the Witch, but still with the familiar locales and art style of the film, as well as several appearances of the Dwarfs. If you're interested, I wrote a detailed description of the entire thing back in January in this thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ideal-dream-versions-of-existing-disney-attractions.971327/

The point of the ride is not to treat guests to the story of the film, rather put them into a fun, perilous scenario in which they assume the role of the damsel as the Witch hunts them down instead of Snow White. This is the same basic philosophy used for any Snow White, Mr. Toad, or Alice dark ride designed prior to the 1980s. Those old attractions each lacked in-ride appearances of the main character (this is still true for Toad), as you the rider were meant to assume their role. Here, however, it's far more excusable, as the ride is explicitly and obviously themed around the Witch alone, so there wouldn't be much of a reason to expect an appearance from Snow White to begin with.

Snow White has been done to death; it's one of Disney's most iconic features, and Snow White and the Dwarfs are certain to have a presence in any Disney park via walk-around characters regardless of whether or not there's a ride based on the film. For these reasons, you don't necessarily need the character of Snow White to be in a dark ride based on the film.

So Snow Whites Scary Adventures?

George Lucas on a Bench

I will admit that even I was slightly disappointed that Fox News very briefly featured this story on Shannon Bream last night at midnight, directly citing SF Gate, a publication no one ever heard of.

However, it all just makes me like the new version even more.

Okee68

So Snow Whites Scary Adventures?
Yes, the ride is basically just a variation of the 1971 attraction, with some of the main differences being the lack of "Snow White" in the title and a dungeon-themed loading queue where not a single reference to the character of Snow White can be found. My goal with this was just to preserve the spooky, first-person nature of the ride in a way that isn't misleading. The greatest flaw of the 1971 ride was that it was advertised as "Snow White" to begin with.

Californian Elitist

I wouldn’t say anyone who asks if they may kiss someone is a loser the same way if you don’t ask, that doesn’t NOT make you a gentleman if the situation is right. I do think more women are turned off by someone asking than offended by someone they re feeling kissing them without asking.
Of course it depends on the situation. I’m specifically referring to when two people are seeing each other and have yet to kiss. No one should assume the other wants to be kissed and should absolutely still ask/make sure it’s okay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom