Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

Goofyernmost

Since it’s okay to baselessly accuse others of crimes can we just start claiming you stole it?
If you want to because your opinion is about the same as mine... not to be taken seriously or backed by fact. Why can you not grasp fiction? You know a lot of times you have a lot to offer in the form of real information. Not all of us feel that anything including the missing, make believe character called Buzzy in a fantasy theme park is worthy of such serious concern. It's a lifeless chunk of metal, wires and plastic. Save the mourning and concern for real people or animals. I have no real concern for topics that are twisted to a kidnapping or even stealing of a pile of scrap metal. You want too, go for it. The entire conversation from beginning to end has been one long comedy turned drama. You may be right or I might be right, I'm just not sure what difference it makes to anything. I'm not filing a lawsuit based on my made up scenario. Tone down the righteousness just a tad.

lazyboy97o

If you want to because your opinion is about the same as mine... not to be taken seriously or backed by fact. Why can you not grasp fiction? You know a lot of times you have a lot to offer in the form of real information. Not all of us feel that anything including the missing, make believe character called Buzzy in a fantasy theme park is worthy of such serious concern. It's a lifeless chunk of metal, wires and plastic. Save the mourning and concern for real people or animals. I have no real concern for topics that are twisted to a kidnapping or even stealing of a pile of scrap metal. You want too, go for it. The entire conversation from beginning to end has been one long comedy turned drama. You may be right or I might be right, I'm just not sure what difference it makes to anything. I'm not filing a lawsuit based on my made up scenario. Tone down the righteousness just a tad.
Tone down? You’re the one again ranting about something you claim to not care about. It is a machine and someone’s property. Just like your lifeless car is something you would report stolen and would be prosecuted for if you lied and started a police investigation.

OrlandoRising

Hi again. I'm the guy who wrote the article linked to earlier (my site used to be called Orlando Rising, now Theme Park Tribune). I've stuck around following this story for 2.5 years now, seems like I have to come on here again to defend my reporting against speculation and the word of insiders.
So I'm kinda setting up a situation where the evidence could have been used to entice someone to reveal their connection. Stranger things have happened and it really could have been cooperative venture between WDW and the County Sheriff's Office. Probably wasn't but, it is entirely possible and now since it led nowhere specific it has been dropped from the active list. I would think the last few year would have indicated that there is a lot that happens that we don't ever know about. So it is just thinking, not saying it happened, just throwing out a scenario and no where near as far away from possibility as you think. I still don't know how someone would be able to hide something that big and not be able to brag about the thing.

To reveal what connection? To what end? You never quite explain that.

You're free to speculate all you want, but you're not explaining what the motive would be behind such a conspiracy.

Those in the know pretty much know - and that’s why they’re in the know.

Dave Ensign claimed to be in the know too.

My reporting is largely based on actual public records I've provided within my articles.

If you or someone else has verifiable information that contradicts what I've reported, then they should publish it, rather than insinuating my reporting is inaccurate without evidence.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
thanks for wasting my time.
I thought it was fairly obvious from my sarcastic lead-in comment that the article offered nothing new. Just posted it in the Buzzy thread because mainstream outlets are apparently still writing about it *despite* nothing new having happened and still getting some details wrong (like leaving out the fact accomplices we’re implicated in Spikes’s other thefts when they make the point that one person couldn’t move 300 lbs on their own, and still pushing the debunked Horizons sinkhole thing)

glawio

This has been really confusing. Let me see if I can get this straightened out. I'll make a little Buzzy timeline/field guide.

-First appearance: Red jumpsuit, white gloves, blue hat
This was the beta design for Buzzy. This is not really Buzzy but rather "Captain Cortex" from before they had the current preshow made. Before we got the preshow we have today, Colossal Pictures was working on animating one, but halfway through production it was deemed too dry and condescending and handed over to Walt Disney Feature Animation. I believe this is why we have this kind of weird mural of an early-production Captain Cortex and General Knowledge, and also why Buzzy looks so different in the preshow than the animatronic does. They had to retrofit an animatronic they already had to resemble a new, animated character.
This Buzzy was never shown to the public. He appeared in some promotional images (such as 1989 cover of Disney News and in the WDW Explorer CD-Rom)

-Second appearance: Big glasses, green hat, brown coat, molded rubber hands
Here he now looks like pre-show Buzzy (kinda). He's got the big glasses, green hat, big headphones, brown jacket, green shirt and pants, and notably the molded rubber hands. This version is the one most often used in promotional images and promotional video, and in every news article written about him as of recently. It is difficult to find video/pictures taken by the public of this particular Buzzy model as he was changed fairly soon thereafter. Here's a camcorder video of this Buzzy model from 1989. The molded rubber hands did not play well with the animatronic underbody, and got worn out quickly. Because of this, he was given rubber-lined brown gloves. I'm not sure of exactly when this change happened.

-Third appearance: Small glasses, brown gloves
For whatever, his glasses were changed. The ones Buzzy has in this third appearance are much smaller. His eyes have been repainted (smaller pupils) and he now has eyelashes. This was the last change they made to him before it's closure, and he ran like this for the majority of his life-- most pictures of him you see taken by the public/cast members are this version. As we know, after the ride had closed, Buzzy started to look very bad and his lazy eye got very intense. (Interestingly, his lazy eye seems to be a problem as far back as the second appearance as he appears to have a little eye trouble in a bit of promotional footage that was spliced into this video.)

-Fourth appearance: Bare animatronic hands
In 2013, someone posted a photo of Buzzy that included scaffolding around him. Note his hands. There were reports that people were working on him. After this event, photos of Buzzy showed that his lazy eye and his one wild eyebrow had been fixed. He then looked great up until he was stolen in late 2018, with the exception of his hands being bare animatronic. According to BDD (not the most reliable source, I know) his brown gloves had been stolen in October 2012.

This is just a rough timeline. It is a little bit hard to date pictures of him but you can usually do so by noting the appearance differences, position in the chair, and amount of hydraulic fluid stain on the screen underneath him. (Earlier, and later.)

So, about the police report mentioning the red jacket. If you'll notice the picture of Buzzy for the second appearance, there is a red light cast on him. I personally think the person who wrote the police report saw this picture as opposed to the other ones (its the easiest available HD pic of Buzzy) and thought that his jacket was red because of it. First appearance Buzzy/Captain Cortex is wearing a red jumpsuit rather than jacket. I spoke with somebody who had personally seen the picture of BDD's car, and they noted specifically that the jacket in the photo was brown. (Take with a grain of salt)

As for the hands, I have no idea why the hands that were reported missing were the rubber ones. I do not know if the police again googled Buzzy and saw the aforementioned picture where he has rubber hands, or if they looked at Disney documentation about Buzzy that only listed the cosmetics for second appearance Buzzy. There are probably extra costumes in storage for him, I've seen it mentioned his blue hat is in Costuming. Always found it a little weird we never saw photos of Buzzy without his hat/headphones and jacket after they were stolen. I feel like someone would have taken a picture of that.

Phew! All done! ..........................Looking back on this whole post, it's a lot...I swear to god I didn't steal him! Just a fangirl...
FffKR3mWIAELs6S.jpg

It's been 3 years, but I finally illustrated the idea I had with this post! A field guide to all the changes Buzzy has gone through! Sorry to necro such an old thread, but I really wanted to share 😚

Dragonman

While not an update on Buzzy, a true crime podcast did an episode on Patrick Spikes, and included some new info (with some help from yours truly) about a separate theft investigation involving Spikes that took place at a grocery store owned by his parents. This happened after his Disney case:

Unfortunately I doubt we’ll ever get closure on Buzzy due to the controversy, I’m not the only person that feels this way. Spikes has always been a sketchy guy though and he obviously knows more than he’s been letting on.

ppete1975

buzzy is gone, heat got too much and I assume was destroyed and disposed of.

Disney could always make another, although not sure what attraction they would ever bring him back for. I had hope that they would do something for guardians like in california and have a non animatronic Buzzy in a cage or display.

brb1006

While not an update on Buzzy, a true crime podcast did an episode on Patrick Spikes, and included some new info (with some help from yours truly) about a separate theft investigation involving Spikes that took place at a grocery store owned by his parents. This happened after his Disney case:

I still remember when Patrick Spikes created an account on this site and made posts mocking us on this thread a few years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom