News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

jt04

I actually think it looks better where they have the lights installed compared to where they don't. Where there isn't a light installed it looks like there is a hole.

That's because they are holes and have been since the structure was built. Never quite realized how poor of an appearance it was until now.

My only concern is that the accountants have forced some value engineering here and we won't get coverage of the entire sphere. As shown in the concept art btw. Not sure a band around the middle will have nearly the same effect. Time will tell if that is the plan. 🔮

jt04

That's because they are holes and have been since the structure was built. Never quite realized how poor of an appearance it was until now.

My only concern is that the accountants have forced some value engineering here and we won't get coverage of the entire sphere. As shown in the concept art btw. Not sure a band around the middle will have nearly the same effect. Time will tell if that is the plan. 🔮

Oh yeah, forgot to add, even if they don't fill all the holes with led lights, I'm hoping they will at least add a similar filler. It really looks better without the gaps. IMO.

Disney Analyst

Just a note, I don't think the holes have looked like the prior to them starting this work. From zoomed in photos it looks like they've created the more noticeable holes to fit the lights through.

ETA:

1619808716508.png

ImperfectPixie

Just added the photo I meant to add showing the drilled out hole, and how it looks before they do that.
Yep...I just zoomed in on a close-up I took on our last trip. Prior to the installation of these lights, there were small, circular fillers with a line across them that helped to hide the larger gaps at these spots. It's hard to tell whether they actually made the gaps larger to install these new lights, though.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I see what you mean but if you look every other hole is full and every other has the two lines. I think that was how it was to begin with. Lights are placed now on every section not just the ones with holes.

Disney Analyst

Possibly but I think those braces or supports have always been there in some of the gaps.

@marni1971

Yep...I just zoomed in on a close-up I took on our last trip. Prior to the installation of these lights, there were small, circular fillers with a line across them that helped to hide the larger gaps at these spots. It's hard to tell whether they actually made the gaps larger to install these new lights, though.

I believe what you're seeing is supporting structure. The "holes" are just places where there is no structure (and never was).

I see what you mean but if you look every other hole is full and every other has the two lines. I think that was how it was to begin with. Lights are placed now on every section not just the ones with holes.

As far as I am aware, every meeting point was like the spot label #1, when a light is about to be installed they drill out that spot as in spot #2.

I could be way off, but that's what I've seen happening with each photo update (more drilled out holes each week).

1619809969058.png

Disney Analyst

Every other “row” has holes with no cross bar that looks like a slotted screw head.

Here’s my picture from 2020:
View attachment 553472

Then here’s a picture with the lights being installed, which matches the every other row thing:
View attachment 553473

Doesn’t seem like they’re drilling any holes.

I never noticed, I really thought they were drilling. Some of the holes seem incredibly janky.

Brenthodge

Nothing has changed since the park opened. There was never “filler”, just openings where the underlying support structure could be seen, and openings where it wasn’t.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom