News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

mickEblu

It's crazy how the tide turns so fast in this sub. It's not even 2 days old and people are already turning super negative about it. If you read the backstory, this was some intern's passion project that Disney actually green lit. Disneyland is investing in improving their dark rides which is a huge win. I know it's been awhile, but if you remember the Snow white ride was forgotten by the general public. They have breathed new light into it and better captured the spirit of Snow White. The dwarves dancing with Snow, Jewel mine, magic mirror, and castle on the clouds ending are iconic and the ride really focused on bringing to life those moments. Yeah I personally would have changed a few things, but this is a huge home run overall

Interns passion project? Is her name Kimberly Irvine?

KingMickey

In the Parks
Yes
I overall like the first half up until the mirror projection. The pacing gets chaotic from that moment on. You have at least a few seconds to take in the cottage, the mine, the Queen’s castle and the dungeon.

I get why they added the mirror projection for “the story” and having Snow actually eat the apple to be seen so that the new ‘true love’s kiss awakening’ ending fits better.

But it’s just too much all at once. You have the mirror projection, the Queen on the cliffs and the start of the happy ending sequence all happen in five seconds with the next scene beginning before there’s enough time to even take in the scene you’re supposed to be in.

Rich T

It's crazy how the tide turns so fast in this sub. It's not even 2 days old and people are already turning super negative about it. If you read the backstory, this was some intern's passion project that Disney actually green lit. Disneyland is investing in improving their dark rides which is a huge win. I know it's been awhile, but if you remember the Snow white ride was forgotten by the general public. They have breathed new light into it and better captured the spirit of Snow White. The dwarves dancing with Snow, Jewel mine, magic mirror, and castle on the clouds ending are iconic and the ride really focused on bringing to life those moments. Yeah I personally would have changed a few things, but this is a huge home run overall
Couldn’t disagree more. In my opinion, they improved the ride up to the cauldron scene, and then butchered the rest by replacing exciting scenes (that were so appropriate for a good dark ride that the Snow White ride existed in the first place because of them) with bland prettiness and a bizzare final scene where the happy couple are apparently parting ways.

There’s talent and artistry on display here for certain, but I think the approach they took with the second half is more appropriate for a good Main Street window display, park stage show or parade float than for an effective, memorable dark ride.

George Lucas on a Bench

They removed the skeletons because it's just too macabre for modern Disney. These macabre attractions just aren't appealing to guests anyway. They absolutely want nothing macabre. Not at all. It's not popular with Disney guests. At all. Get rid of 'em. More funny books, princesses and Star Wars.

Sharon&Susan

Wait, so the extra long boring dungeon scene is still there but they took out the entire cool scary forest? Did they shorten the dungeon scene?
Dungeon is still the same size just with the skeletons replaced with other props. Personally I thought it was fine length before, but I'd have to personally ride the new version myself to really judge how it compares.

mickEblu

Dungeon is still the same size just with the skeletons replaced with other props. Personally I thought it was fine length before, but I'd have to personally ride the new version myself to really judge how it compares.

Wow. Obviously they tried to do this without changing too much infrastructure. I always thought the dungeon scene dragged. Ideally they would have cut the dungeon scene in half and kept the forest.

mickEblu

They removed the skeletons because it's just too macabre for modern Disney. These macabre attractions just aren't appealing to guests anyway. They absolutely want nothing macabre. Not at all. It's not popular with Disney guests. At all. Get rid of 'em. More funny books, princesses and Star Wars.

Yup pretty much. No more dead people on TOT. No shrunken heads on Jungle Cruise. No skeletons in Snow White (Inside and out). Snow Whites bedroom inside the dungeon/ jail cell is my favorite. Why wouldn’t they removed those jail cell bars? Lol

ParkPeeker

I think with the rebranding and physical parameters they decided on, this is the best they could come up with sadly. The kiss scene is pretty neat and I like it, but yea pacing feels flat out wack! I’m really curious to see if they could’ve done a better job even with the rebranding and physical parameters they set and what not.

George Lucas on a Bench

Yup pretty much. No more dead people on TOT. No shrunken heads on Jungle Cruise. No skeletons in Snow White (Inside and out). Snow Whites bedroom inside the dungeon/ jail cell is my favorite. Why wouldn’t they removed those hail cell bars? Lol

Why is there even a Haunted Mansion in these parks anymore? Caves in POTC? It all. Has. To go. Nobody likes this stuff. More Marvel, Star Wars and Princesses.

ParkPeeker

I would expect some changes to Pinocchio in the next few years. The problem with Pinocchio is there isn’t a whole lot of pleasant stuff in the movie. So hopefully he just gets the “upgrade” and not the ax.
He’s not a princess so I’m guessing he’s safer but idk with the new remake and all.
So do they now change the scarier second half of the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough? I hope not.
Stay tuned. Hahaha jk, i don’t think so, it’s relatively new so there’s that lol

waltography

I’ve spent almost half my life manifesting this ride in various theme park sims. I know how it works.

(Yes, I know the videos are crap. But the first one is from 12 years ago, and the second on is a 6 year old test POV in a game I don’t even use anymore.)

View attachment 552902
View attachment 552903
View attachment 552904
View attachment 552905

Pictures are still semi-incomplete from my latest version in Planet Coaster. I was hoping to finish it by reopening, but life got in the way.

And I say that intern could’ve done better. I’m no expert, but I feel like my criticism doesn’t come from a place of ignorance.

Oh my goodness, you're TMH? I used to play RCT3 all the time and was on SGW through high school! (I was iAP on those boards, but you likely wouldn't have remembered me 😂) I loved your dark rides!

JD2000

I overall like the first half up until the mirror projection. The pacing gets chaotic from that moment on. You have at least a few seconds to take in the cottage, the mine, the Queen’s castle and the dungeon.

I get why they added the mirror projection for “the story” and having Snow actually eat the apple to be seen so that the new ‘true love’s kiss awakening’ ending fits better.

But it’s just too much all at once. You have the mirror projection, the Queen on the cliffs and the start of the happy ending sequence all happen in five seconds with the next scene beginning before there’s enough time to even take in the scene you’re supposed to be in.

And yet... a shorter, less scary dark forest scene with the new cliff and kiss scenes further down would have improved that. 🤷‍♂️

BasiltheBatLord

Just sat down and actually properly watched the POV. It's so funny how every single version of this attraction has always had hilariously bad pacing issues. Now the entire story happens in a single scene. Snow White bites the apple and then it jumps immediately to the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom