News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

corran horn

Each individual has a uniqueness we should be celebrating and forcing them to comply to some arbitrary theme is foolishness. I can't wait for WDW to allow CMs to wear their own costumes allowing them to express their personality. The name tag signifies who is an employee and who isn't. Why does it matter what the CM wears while dishing out popcorn??

If you are bothered while you are waiting in line to meet the princess to see CMs dressed in a manner that displeases, you get over it.
That's probably a bridge too far, but I do enjoy (what seems to be) the outcomes of CMs being able to somewhat customize their GE costumes.

MrMcDuck

I appreciate Disney making it easier to give up the addiction. We did make the mistake of renewing our APs, but this will definitely be the last time we ever do so.

This is just the latest in a long line of decisions that show that the Disney magic is gone. It's not entirely their fault. The US is a nation in rapid decline. But they could choose to fight against the dying of the light , and I believe Walt would have done so.

For those that think it's not that big of a deal, I wish I could think like you. But all I see is cheapness, cheapness everywhere. While I fully admit to also being opposed to the whole idea of "Woke Disney" for a set of different reasons, and I know many in this thread will never agree with me on that, I see these changes being justified under the new "inclusion" key as a bit of a lie on Disney's part. If it were just the sex-based dress thing, maybe I could see that. But it's not. The truth is that if you want people to go above and beyond for their roles (and you want to be extremely selective in only hiring people that are willing to do that when the present culture has looser, more individualized standards) you have to pay them more than the crap wages that CMs are currently paid. You can't be too picky or demanding when you are serving your workers gruel. Putting it under "inclusion" is just a clever, manipulative distraction that will get certain Disney fans to defend all of these changes.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned little things like certain buttons now being generic. It's small, cheap changes like that. No more Magical Express here. No more high standards of dress there. It all adds up. And it's all because of greed.

So, at some point, it becomes no longer fun or magical. And for me, that point has been reached. We'll do our annual passes and that's that.

Last edited:

Nubs70

I appreciate Disney making it easier to give up the addiction. We did make the mistake of renewing our APs, but this will definitely be the last time we ever do so.

This is just the latest in a long line of decisions that show that the Disney magic is gone. It's not entirely their fault. The US is a nation in rapid decline. But they could choose to fight against the dying of the light , and I believe Walt would have done so.

For those that think it's not that big of a deal, I wish I could think like you. But all I see is cheapness, cheapness everywhere. While I fully admit to also being opposed to the whole idea of "Woke Disney" for a set of different reasons, and I know many in this thread will never agree with me on that, I see these changes being justified under the new "inclusion" key as a bit of a lie on Disney's part. If it were just the sex-based dress thing, maybe I could see that. But it's not. The truth is that if you want people to go above and beyond for their roles (and you want to be extremely selective in only hiring people that are willing to do that when the present culture has looser, more individualized standards) you have to pay them more than the crap wages that CMs are currently paid. You can't be too picky or demanding when you are serving your workers gruel. Putting it under "inclusion" is just a clever, manipulative distraction that will get certain Disney fans to defend all of these changes.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned little things like certain buttons now being generic. It's small, cheap changes like that. No more Magical Express here. No more high standards of dress there. It all adds up. And it's all because of greed.

So, at some point, it becomes no longer fun or magical. And for me, that point has been reached. We'll do our annual passes and that's that.
WDW markets your experience as an individualized product, a job lot product in manufacturing terms. Your experience was built just for you

FP+ was marketed as a mass customization product. Your experience can be customized from any of these options at any time.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney is indeed making it easy to end my addiction as well. For me it’s all of the entertainment cuts and changes that have been happening for years now. In a way it’s similar to the dress code changing... it’s lowering the high standards that made Disney world special.

Even where they are spending money (Harmonious) the end product will probably not be something I want to see 100’s of times like Illuminations.

With the imagineers who “get it” like Joe and Kevin being replaced with imagineers who don’t get it like the Zach... I don’t see things going in a good direction. It’s sad.

I’ll still want to visit ocassionally, maybe even annually. But I think my multiple visits a year are probably over.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
so at first I was totally against this, but now seeing it in action, I’m ok. It’s nice to see Cast better reflect the guests they are serving. And I think this will help guests connect more with the cast. I remember being on the hiring team for a new Disney store location. We were told to “go sit in the food court for an hour and look at all the shoppers. Look at the diversity. Now when you hire, your cast should look like that. You want your guests to feel reflected in their cast”. Our guests have changed since the 1950s, and for them to really feel connected to the brand, they want to see themselves in it, whether it’s in our movies or in our parks. Now I know this must have lead to some tricky decisions, for example: is it appropriate to ask Hawaiian cast at Aulani to over their traditional tattoos? If not, then how can we say some people can have them and some people can’t? And as fo gender based grooming restrictions, it was a matter of time before that would cause an issue that Disney would not want. In the end cast still need to be well groomed, clean, and not extreme.

disneygeek90

I had to look suuuuuper hard to find a tattoo on a cast member today. When I finally noticed one, it was a woman with “to infinity” written on her forearm. If I wasn’t looking I would not have noticed. I really don’t understand the absolute panic and dramatics I see in this thread.

Last edited:

Mr. Moderate

Disney is indeed making it easy to end my addiction as well. For me it’s all of the entertainment cuts and changes that have been happening for years now. In a way it’s similar to the dress code changing... it’s lowering the high standards that made Disney world special.

Even where they are spending money (Harmonious) the end product will probably not be something I want to see 100’s of times like Illuminations.

With the imagineers who “get it” like Joe and Kevin being replaced with imagineers who don’t get it like the Zach... I don’t see things going in a good direction. It’s sad.

I’ll still want to visit ocassionally, maybe even annually. But I think my multiple visits a year are probably over.
Well said and I'm in the same line of thinking as you. Disney has done a great job in making me rethink spending my money there and if you asked me even 10 years ago, I would have never thought it was possible I would have agreed with your statement above.

TrainsOfDisney

I really don’t understand the absolute panic and dramatics I see in this thread.
Every decline by degrees is small in and of itself. Generic napkins for example. Even the generic keys to the world cards.

Where this is different is some people think it’s about allowing cm’s to express themselves vs. an actual decline in show. I get that. I do think a few of the gender specific rules needed to change in 2021.

I do believe that cast members appearance which includes their dress, hairstyle, and accessories DOES play a part in the over all Disney experience.

I also believe that Disney should have higher standards than in-n-out and Southwest Airlines. Of course both in-n-out and Southwest also have custom napkins.

disneygeek90

Every decline by degrees is small in and of itself. Generic napkins for example. Even the generic keys to the world cards.

Where this is different is some people think it’s about allowing cm’s to express themselves vs. an actual decline in show. I get that. I do think a few of the gender specific rules needed to change in 2021.

I do believe that cast members appearance which includes their dress, hairstyle, and accessories DOES play a part in the over all Disney experience.

I also believe that Disney should have higher standards than in-n-out and Southwest Airlines. Of course both in-n-out and Southwest also have custom napkins.
I guess I just don’t see revealing tattoos in 90+ degree heat in Florida as a decline in show

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I guess I just don’t see revealing tattoos in 90+ degree heat in Florida as a decline in show
And the majority of indoor costumes are long sleeved and pants anyways, I’ve visited the parks the last few days and it’s not that distracting. It actually makes the costumes look a little more uniform because now you do t have people wearing random turtlenecks or underarmour sleeves under the costume

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Also people keep mentioning napkins, other than cost another reason they switched to the brown napkins is because they’re better for the environment as they don’t require bleaches and dyes to produce them.

TrainsOfDisney

Also people keep mentioning napkins, other than cost another reason they switched to the brown napkins is because they’re better for the environment as they don’t require bleaches and dyes to produce them.
Well if you are going to make that reach it would be better for the environment if we all stayed home and didn’t travel.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Well if you are going to make that reach it would be better for the environment if we all stayed home and didn’t travel.
You’re correct, that would be. I’m not denying part of the reason is cost reduction, but the company also has some very aggressive environmental goals as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom