How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

Heppenheimer

News to come..... Orlando tattoo parlors see an uptick in their business as Disney employees flock to them for new ink before returning to work. Due to the demand new designs are being added to the parlor offerings. This will be an industry wide saving move. A host of never before available Disney character designs are being added. Surprisingly, the most requested ones as of this date... lifelike portraits of Bob Chapek and Josh D'Amaro followed by the disco Yeti.
More news to come... in 20 years, Orlando sees a huge uptick in laser tattoo removal clinics...

mergatroid

Original Poster
I must say after being told that policy had changed and reading those changes via a google search, it does come across as a bit strange logic. You can have a tattoo smaller than your hand, but not body modifications such as an earlobe expansion or a visible piercing other than in the ear. Personally I don't like earlobe expansions however they do seem quite popular right now, it's quite funny imagining the meetings Disney had where they debated these things and decided what was acceptable and what wasn't and the reasoning behind it all.

Walt Disney1955

I must say after being told that policy had changed and reading those changes via a google search, it does come across as a bit strange logic. You can have a tattoo smaller than your hand, but not body modifications such as an earlobe expansion or a visible piercing other than in the ear. Personally I don't like earlobe expansions however they do seem quite popular right now, it's quite funny imagining the meetings Disney had where they debated these things and decided what was acceptable and what wasn't and the reasoning behind it all.

I can't understand how someone would want to more or less permanently destroy their ears for a fashion statement that just looks horrific.

I know people don't always agree with the whole tattoo thing in the past Disney had, but it was one of the many things that made Disney cast members look cleaner and better than, say, someone at a Six Flags park. People can say what they want, but it was a better standard.

Po'Rich

Sorry if you are not a native english speaker. I was unaware of that.

What you put out was a statement, but with a question mark on the end I thought was a typo.

A question would be like "Does Disney still have the 'no tattoos on display' rule for their staff?".
Let me start by stating that I am a college English instructor. I just want to add that to provide my credentials for knowing what I am talking about on this subject (and quite possibly, no other subject of any relevance).

You are correct that Mergatroid's statement is phrased as a statement rather than a question.
As far as I'm aware Disney still has the 'no tattoos on display' rule for their staff?

It is not uncommon with informal discourse to show uncertainty regarding a statement by putting a question mark at the end. A more "correct" way would be to include, "right?" or "is that still so?" at the end. Yet, just adding a question mark to the end of the sentence indicates that the poster meant it as a question (Mergatroid also indicated uncertainty with "as far as I'm aware"). You made an assumption that the poster made a typo and then chastised the poster based on your incorrect assumption.

Again, we're just discussing informal discourse, such as is found on discussion boards. I'd much rather get fired-up about people's inability to use apostrophes.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Let me start by stating that I am a college English instructor. I just want to add that to provide my credentials for knowing what I am talking about on this subject (and quite possibly, no other subject of any relevance).

You are correct that Mergatroid's statement is phrased as a statement rather than a question.

It is not uncommon with informal discourse to show uncertainty regarding a statement by putting a question mark at the end. A more "correct" way would be to include, "right?" or "is that still so?" at the end. Yet, just adding a question mark to the end of the sentence indicates that the poster meant it as a question (Mergatroid also indicated uncertainty with "as far as I'm aware"). You made an assumption that the poster made a typo and then chastised the poster based on your incorrect assumption.

Again, we're just discussing informal discourse, such as is found on discussion boards. I'd much rather get fired-up about people's inability to use apostrophes.

Thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't trying to confuse anyone. I was probably a bit abrupt with my response to the poster as I felt they were having a go at me, but it's all good now.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I can't understand how someone would want to more or less permanently destroy their ears for a fashion statement that just looks horrific.

I know people don't always agree with the whole tattoo thing in the past Disney had, but it was one of the many things that made Disney cast members look cleaner and better than, say, someone at a Six Flags park. People can say what they want, but it was a better standard.

Well I suppose it's all about the way the world changes and when changes happen there's always going to be those who aren't best pleased. I kind of wince when I see a stretched earlobe, to me it just looks awful and I wonder who thinks it looks better all stretched out? Obviously the people having it done do and I realise that their lives shouldn't revolve around my preferences but rather their own. It's their earlobe, let them do what they want with them.

I do however think that we're getting to a stage whereby some people will see no consequences to their actions or life decisions. If you choose to have your face tattoo'd knowing that it could stop you getting a particular job, it seems a sensible person would therefore think "Should I do this or not, is it worth it and what are the consequences"?

I know some will instantly yell that it's 'discrimination', yet life's full of 'discrimination' in so many ways. There's nothing more natural than the human body, therefore is it 'discriminatory' to have laws stopping folk walking around naked? Some will say "That's different, that's offensive", yet the naturist can argue that they're not offended and why is it offensive. If you pay to take your partner to a nice restaurant with a smart dress code, would you be happy if you had to sit opposite a guy who insists on wearing just boxers and a vest? Is it not discriminatory of a restaurant to decide what looks smart and what doesn't? If you're burying a loved one at a funeral, how would you feel if the person conducting the service turned up wearing shorts and no shirt because "Well, I don't like to conform to society and want the ladies to see my ripped body"?

Whilst those are all exaggerated examples, they're also forms of discrimination technically. If we're going to argue that it's my body and how I present myself should be my choice with no judgement or consequences, then we have to accept that argument from everyone. Or do we pick and choose how we conform and say it's ok for me to have my earlobes stretched but I don't want my wedding ceremony conducted by a guy who's naked with vampire teeth and a branded head?

I think having rules on how we present ourselves is fine, as long as we know upfront what they are. The 'discrimination' a minority claim is there for a reason, to have people represent themselves in a smart manner. It's a shame that if you decide having your face tattoo'd to resemble a skeleton is a great idea, but that you struggle to get the job at your local Hilton Hotel as a Guest Services manager because of it. But life's not fair in many ways. Be glad that we live in a society that allows you to do that to your face, but realise that it's just human nature that there maybe some consequences to those decisions and decide accordingly.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I think I read that Disney's guidelines are no tatoo can be offensive or with foul language, so that about covers it.
I don't mind tatoos and don't care what people have; it's their choice.
As for me? I have enough Age spots so I don't need any, 😁
I have a theory (probably not true, but I like to say it anyway) for the reason why Generation X didn't get nearly as many tattoos as the generarions that followed. There were still enough WWII vets walking around when we were young, and we saw how bad tattoos looked after 30- 40 years. That cultural memory has now faded.

Walt Disney1955

I have a theory (probably not true, but I like to say it anyway) for the reason why Generation X didn't get nearly as many tattoos as the generarions that followed. There were still enough WWII vets walking around when we were young, and we saw how bad tattoos looked after 30- 40 years. That cultural memory has now faded.

That could be. Not to mention we grew up when the toughest of tough guys got tattoos. You got them in prison, or you were a biker or you fought in the war. Yeah perhaps enough of us saw how bad they look when people's skin ages. There will be a lot of grandmas who will likely re-think their youthful decisions in about 40 years.

The problem is, tattoos actually meant something back then. Like I said, a select few got it. When a skinny 20 year old with bony arms gets a tattoo it just looks..........................well, bizarre. I am glad my wife never got one before we met, it is a turn off for me when women have them.

thomas998

That’s a shame.
Why? Where is the tolerance for people with differing opinions to your own? That's the irony of the liberal folks that want tolerance, they never seem to have any for anyone that doesn't share their own vision of the world. There is nothing wrong with someone thinking a person sporting tats is trashy, it would be wrong if I spit on them as they walk by, but simply viewing them as dumb or trashy for something they did? Come on people judge others all the time, it's human nature.

thomas998

Good point. I know when I was a little kid I ask an friend of my grandparents what the blob on his arm was. He said it was the mark of a drunk he got when he was in the navy. I suppose it might have looked like something when it was fresh, but on his arm it was probably closer to looking like some sort of large birthmark than to any anchor which is what I think it was supposed to have been.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Why? Where is the tolerance for people with differing opinions to your own? That's the irony of the liberal folks that want tolerance, they never seem to have any for anyone that doesn't share their own vision of the world. There is nothing wrong with someone thinking a person sporting tats is trashy, it would be wrong if I spit on them as they walk by, but simply viewing them as dumb or trashy for something they did? Come on people judge others all the time, it's human nature.
Because you’re unfairly judging people who don’t deserve it. People who are reading this right now.

Undoubtedly, some of them are smarter than you, more successful than you, but you call them trashy. That’s a laugh.

Your position is based on nothing valid. So no, I don’t sit by and “tolerate” your prejudice, which is all it is. Don’t try to elevate it to “opinion.”

And I don’t even have a tattoo. I am sticking up for the people coming here to read about Disney and being called trashy. Not cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom