Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Brer Oswald

Focusing on the new trilogy was a result of The Force Awakens making $2B box office. Not a purposeful rejection of prior Star Wars stories under Lucas.

A rejection of everything Lucas would have meant not putting out the last season of The Clone Wars, not greenlighting The Bad Batch, not having a place for Darth Vader at Jedi Academy or Launch Bay, not greenlighting Rogue One nor Solo.

Iger thought the new sequel would be a big as the original based on the box office. Is it hard to believe the motivation was profit?
It was a reason, but it wasn’t the only reason. As proven in the last 10 years or so, the leaders at Disney want their modern content at the forefront because that’s what they created. It’s actually quite understandable. Many of them work pretty hard, and they want their work to be appreciated. I get that. But I’m not so sure it was wise to prioritize this in combination with the desire to create a land with canonical restrictions.

Original Trilogy has proved to be the crown jewel of the franchise. It’s even respected by people who could not care less about Star Wars, like myself. I think it would have been smarter to forgo the airtight backstories to incorporate both the old and the new, especially since they created this new “neutral” location. I think they will go towards that way in the future. We may see “Darth Vader” in Rise instead of Kylo, or “Han Solo” in Falcon instead of whoever they picked. It’s not going to be for awhile, and the original actors unfortunately won’t be able to reprise the roles, but the characters they omitted are timeless, and will remain beloved in the public consciousness for a lot longer than the sequel trilogy characters.

CaptinEO

Original Trilogy has proved to be the crown jewel of the franchise. It’s even respected by people who could not care less about Star Wars, like myself. I think it would have been smarter to forgo the airtight backstories to incorporate both the old and the new, especially since they created this new “neutral” location. I think they will go towards that way in the future. We may see “Darth Vader” in Rise instead of Kylo, or “Han Solo” in Falcon instead of whoever they picked. It’s not going to be for awhile, and the original actors unfortunately won’t be able to reprise the roles, but the characters they omitted are timeless, and will remain beloved in the public consciousness for a lot longer than the sequel trilogy characters.
My thoughts on Bob Iger's choices with his oversight of Star Wars Land (also applies to the film trilogy he oversaw):

1b96eg.jpg

As for them redoing Star Wars Land. I agree. It will happen once Towbridge and Iger have left the company. Disney has a thing of not wanting to admit defeat, so they wait till they have entire regime changes to do so.

Also considering how people go nuts (in a positive way) over seeing CGI Luke Skywalker and Leia appear, looks like Disney doesn't have to worry about needing the original actors to reprise their characters. Although it would be much prefered to have the real Luke Skywalker and Han Solo appear in their land.

Brer Oswald

My thoughts on Bob Iger's choices with his oversight of Star Wars Land (also applies to the film trilogy he oversaw):

1b96eg.jpg

As for them redoing Star Wars Land. I agree. It will happen once Towbridge and Iger have left the company. Disney has a thing of not wanting to admit defeat, so they wait till they have entire regime changes to do so.

Also considering how people go nuts (in a positive way) over seeing CGI Luke Skywalker and Leia appear, looks like Disney doesn't have to worry about needing the original actors to reprise their characters. Although it would be much prefered to have the real Luke Skywalker and Han Solo appear in their land.
The bolded is very true, and I find that it’s a huge issue they need to overcome. No company is above faults, but they seem to only care about faults from decades gone by as if it absolves them from admitting to their own current mistakes. I know Iger and them care a ton about their legacy, and I hope that they learn to be a little more transparent and aware with their audience in order to preserve their legacy for generations.

Animaniac93-98

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is very much rooted in Spider-Man: The Animated Series.

It's been so long since that was on the air* I have to wonder how many people realize the character designs, voices and animation quality in the pre-show videos are exactly the same as this cartoon?

*it is on Disney+ now

Brer Oswald

It's been so long since that was on the air* I have to wonder how many people realize the character designs, voices and animation quality in the pre-show videos are exactly the same as this cartoon?

*it is on Disney+ now
I think the voice cast is actually different. But the animation and designs? Yeah the resemblance is clear for those of us that have watched it.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'd love to see a sustained stunt show in Avengers Campus as much as the next person, but coming out of a 13-month closure and having only a reduced capacity in the parks for a couple of months, I don't foresee it happening past opening weekend. That Spider-Man stuntronic is probably expensive to run and maintain. Sure, the Kylo Ren show kept going, but it's a 5-minute show with only actors talking. The Vi Moradi stunt show that happened at the opening of GE never happened again. I think I've seen a couple of stormtroopers stand up on that catwalk above the garage yelling at people a few times, but that's about it. Oh, and Chewie fixing the X-Wing...and that's only fun when I use the app to make it do stuff and he reacts.

I was optimistic after the opening of RotR and them starting to bring out R2 that having more bodies in the land that Disney was going to start being comfortable bringing out some more streetmosphere things and even maybe a once a day stunt show...but that got quickly squelched with the Covid shutdown, so I think it will be quite a while before we get these things back, if ever.

Brer Panther

I think the voice cast is actually different. But the animation and designs? Yeah the resemblance is clear for those of us that have watched it.
Indeed, the voice cast is different. Spider-Man is voiced by Chris Edgerly rather than Christopher Daniel Barnes, for one thing.

I suppose it's also worth nothing that Spider-Man: The Animated Series ended before the ride opened.

TragicMike

Marvel has a rich collection of fun, energetic and classic characters and the best they could come up for freaking Spider-Man was a slowing moving Midway Mania-clone where you shoot a bunch of robot spiders. If Disney wanted to promote the Spider-Bots why not have them help you take down Mysterio or Vulture (assuming Disney only wants tom focus on MCU villains)? Why not at least give us a cool Spider-Man AA during the ride or pre-show? Imagine how cool it would've been to see Spider-Man sling down from the ceiling in his classic pose.

Ugh, I don't like being negative but it honestly saddens me that this is the best they came up with for my favorite superhero. Armchair Imagineers on Youtube came up with better ideas than what was ultimately presented. I can't think of an easier collection of characters to make fun theme park rides for than Marvel characters.

Oh well, maybe the Avengers E-Ticket will really blow us away.

ToTBellHop

Marvel has a rich collection of fun, energetic and classic characters and the best they could come up for freaking Spider-Man was a slowing moving Midway Mania-clone where you shoot a bunch of robot spiders. If Disney wanted to promote the Spider-Bots why not have them help you take down Mysterio or Vulture (assuming Disney only wants tom focus on MCU villains)? Why not at least give us a cool Spider-Man AA during the ride or pre-show? Imagine how cool it would've been to see Spider-Man sling down from the ceiling in his classic pose.

Ugh, I don't like being negative but it honestly saddens me that this is the best they came up with for my favorite superhero. Armchair Imagineers on Youtube came up with better ideas than what was ultimately presented. I can't think of an easier collection of characters to make fun theme park rides for than Marvel characters.

We will find out in 2032...

mickEblu

So far for Disney Marvel attractions around the world we have:

1. TOT retheme- GOTG:MB
2. Midway Mania “clone” crammed into ITTBAB building
3. Star Tours retheme -Iron Man
4. Buzz retheme - Antman aka the worst looking shooter I’ve ever seen
5. Rock n Roller Coaster retheme - Iron Man coaster
Why did Paris get to keep their TOT?
6. Cosmic Rewind - only one I’m excited for

Did I miss anything?

CaptinEO

The bolded is very true, and I find that it’s a huge issue they need to overcome. No company is above faults, but they seem to only care about faults from decades gone by as if it absolves them from admitting to their own current mistakes. I know Iger and them care a ton about their legacy, and I hope that they learn to be a little more transparent and aware with their audience in order to preserve their legacy for generations.
It's really odd, most companies these days actually really like being transparent and responding to feedback.

Disney is still of the approach of "we know better than you, if you dont like our output you're wrong", which is a really poor choice to make from a business standpoint.

If the public doesn't "get" the "great storytelling" of the imagineers, it must be because they are too dumb to understand it.

It took them what, a decade to admit the first California Adventure was a failure? How long til they admit the Star Wars sequels and land were a failure and they retcon those "stories". If they were continuously listening to feedback and changing, people like me would have a lot if respect for them.

I always remember the story of Disney management wanting to put up fences so people wouldnt walk on the grass and Walt saying "no, that's where people want to walk, lets build paths for them".

Current Disney management would never be open to changes based on what the guests want.

CaptinEO

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is very much rooted in Spider-Man: The Animated Series.
I did not know this. That even goes to show that it's good that they based the ride of an animated version of the show that played it safe in regards to character design.

It looks close to nearly every iteration of comic book, animated, or video game spiderman I've seen.

I wonder if the Mickey used in Runaway Railroad will stay that timeless.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Marvel's land choice to use Chris Pratt and Tom Holland videos on their rides show that Marvel Land is not a land dedicated to the Marvel Super Hero characters that have graced comic books since the mid 20th century, but is instead a land dedicated to the Marvel Studios films of the 2010s and 2020s.

Could you imagine if people made a Superman ride with Christopher Reeves footage? Or a Spiderman ride with Tobey McGuire footage? They would age like fine milk.

In addition to the problem of aging like milk, it's also kind of shocking to me that in the era of #metoo, Disney would put live footage of an actor like Chris Pratt front-and-center in an E-ticket attraction.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If you are a lead, you get away with it. Tim Allen is still Buzz Lightyear, too.

But we only hear Tim Allen's voice on the attraction; we don't see the actor himself. On GOTG-M:BO! (and, I'm assuming, Cosmic Rewind) we see, and are expected to root for, Chris Pratt.

As far as I'm aware, Chris Pratt is not at risk of being cancelled. But in the age of Twitter, you'd think a company as risk-averse as Disney would think twice before making any actor fundamental to an attraction.

Brer Oswald

But we only hear Tim Allen's voice on the attraction; we don't see the actor himself. On GOTG-M:BO! (and, I'm assuming, Cosmic Rewind) we see, and are expected to root for, Chris Pratt.

As far as I'm aware, Chris Pratt is not at risk of being cancelled. But in the age of Twitter, you'd think a company as risk-averse as Disney would think twice before making any actor fundamental to an attraction.
Chris Pratt has been cancelled about a dozen times. Granted, most of those times he was cancelled for being Christian, or not being able to attend some political rallies, so most normal people didn’t care.

You can’t play scared of things being “cancelled” because almost everything will be cancelled at some point. I don’t Disney is, and they only go with the flow when it benefits them.

Sailor310

It was a reason, but it wasn’t the only reason. As proven in the last 10 years or so, the leaders at Disney want their modern content at the forefront because that’s what they created. It’s actually quite understandable. Many of them work pretty hard, and they want their work to be appreciated. I get that. But I’m not so sure it was wise to prioritize this in combination with the desire to create a land with canonical restrictions.

It'd be easy to put Han Solo into Falcon. They already have a bunch of Harrison Ford animatronics in Indy.

Brer Panther

I wonder if the Mickey used in Runaway Railroad will stay that timeless.
I doubt it. Well, maybe the Mickey will. The Goofy, no way.
But we only hear Tim Allen's voice on the attraction; we don't see the actor himself.
I suppose it is worth noting that while Tim Allen did voice Buzz in Toy Story Midway Mania, he did not voice Buzz in Astro Blasters or Space Ranger Spin. Patrick Fraley, who Disney used as Buzz's voice whenever Tim Allen was too busy until Mike MacRae took over, did Buzz's voice for those.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom