News Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt d

It sounds like Disney wants us to be staring at our phones all day 🤔
Im not happy that i have to cart my phone. To the parks. And do they have a place were i can stand as my apple -re Chargers for an hour. And do i get that time back? I never have a plan at the parks i like it that way, not when to eat when to do this! Im maybe I’ll eat maybe I won’t maybe I’ll do this maybe I won’t dont need a plan im there to have fun! Not have it like work.

Touchdown

Im not happy that i have to cart my phone. To the parks. And do they have a place were i can stand as my apple -re Chargers for an hour. And do i get that time back? I never have a plan at the parks i like it that way, not when to eat when to do this! Im maybe I’ll eat maybe I won’t maybe I’ll do this maybe I won’t dont need a plan im there to have fun! Not have it like work.
May I suggest a portable charger? I have an Ankar one that is roughly the size of two funsize KitKats on top of each other. It can charge my iPhone 12 Promax to full twice. Fits very easy in my pocket along with a small charging cord.

MurphyJoe

My guess is that the Lines app and TP do a better job than this Genie will do. WDW sucks at websites, apps, etc.

But the Lines app doesn't have Disney upcharges (unconfirmed speculation), "Disney Genie will make planning easier and more fun by providing customized itineraries geared to your interests, right at your fingertips – from a royal, princess-themed day at Magic Kingdom Park to a trip around the world at Epcot for foodies and even a perfect day for thrill seekers. Certain features of Disney Genie will also be available through your preferred travel professional."

Based on released images and what Disney has said, it sounds like Genie could be Disney's way of selling in-park touring packages to the masses. Something Disney can offer to people who would be interested in a VIP tour, but couldn't afford the price tag which goes along with it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Genie: "Jim, you know there's a sale at the Main Street Emporium?"
Jim: "I don't care."
Genie: "C'mon Jim, you're on vacation. Buy Something."
Jim: "No"
Genie: "Jim, There's $7,250 in available credit on your Amex card. Don't be so cheap. I can place the order digitally if it's easier for you."

I think it's going to go down just like that.

Walt d

May I suggest a portable charger? I have an Ankar one that is roughly the size of two funsize KitKats on top of each other. It can charge my iPhone 12 Promax to full twice. Fits very easy in my pocket along with a small charging cord.
Then i have to Carry more weight and stuff

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Genie: "Jim, you know there's a sale at the Main Street Emporium?"
Jim: "I don't care."
Genie: "C'mon Jim, you're on vacation. Buy Something."
Jim: "No"
Genie: "Jim, There's $7,250 in available credit on your Amex card. Don't be so cheap. I can place the order digitally if it's easier for you."

I think it's going to go down just like that.
That's how they plan on selling the $14k Fairytale 1c diamond engagement ring...

Genie: "Karen it's been a rough year for your name, you deserve this ;)"
Karen: "yeah, but can I speak to your manager, I want a discount"

lentesta

Premium Member
I hope @lentesta and the Touring Plans gang is gearing up for a lawsuit.

We couldn't afford it, and there's almost certainly no legal grounds for copying the idea of route optimization.

Disney's doing some interesting things with the Genie patents, like filing continuations of existing patents from 2007 with new Genie features in it, that make me think they're either trying to head off lawsuits, or preparing one of their own.

Notes from Neverland

I'm still not sold there's any real value in Disney Genie beyond upsell opportunities for Disney, but I'll reserve judgement until it's out. The expectation that it'll plan your trip for you may end up being a big pain point when guests expect to be able to ride the most popular attractions only to find the app saying the best bet is the 5-minute wait for Voyage Under the Sea.

aaronml

I'm still not sold there's any real value in Disney Genie beyond upsell opportunities for Disney, but I'll reserve judgement until it's out. The expectation that it'll plan your trip for you may end up being a big pain point when guests expect to be able to ride the most popular attractions only to find the app saying the best bet is the 5-minute wait for Voyage Under the Sea.
To be fair, if you pay up, you will be able to enjoy all the popular attractions.

lentesta

Premium Member
But the Lines app doesn't have Disney upcharges (unconfirmed speculation), "Disney Genie will make planning easier and more fun by providing customized itineraries geared to your interests, right at your fingertips – from a royal, princess-themed day at Magic Kingdom Park to a trip around the world at Epcot for foodies and even a perfect day for thrill seekers. Certain features of Disney Genie will also be available through your preferred travel professional."

Based on released images and what Disney has said, it sounds like Genie could be Disney's way of selling in-park touring packages to the masses. Something Disney can offer to people who would be interested in a VIP tour, but couldn't afford the price tag which goes along with it.

"Your estimated wait in line for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is 50 minutes. Would you like to buy a FastPass?"

nickys

Premium Member
"Your estimated wait in line for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is 50 minutes. Would you like to buy a FastPass?"
Even more reason to use your Lines app.

I would already have an estimated wait time, and on re-optimising I would see that actually the wait time is only 28 minutes.

On the other hand, if someone in the group suddenly says they really, really want to ride HM and they weren’t with us when we rode it at the start of the day, then I could use Genie to buy them an FP to stop them whining about waiting an hour.

I”d trust your data and expertise over Disney’s any day, especially when they have an added incentive to inflate wait times to sell FPs to guests.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Even more reason to use your Lines app.

I would already have an estimated wait time, and on re-optimising I would see that actually the wait time is only 28 minutes.

On the other hand, if someone in the group suddenly says they really, really want to ride HM and they weren’t with us when we rode it at the start of the day, then I could use Genie to buy them an FP to stop them whining about waiting an hour.

I”d trust your data and expertise over Disney’s any day, especially when they have an added incentive to inflate wait times to sell FPs to guests.
Presumably even small changes to the overall FP system will have big impacts in some places. Someone keeping track of and analyzing the data will become even more critical.

I look forward to continuing to spend hours tinkering with “optimized” touring plans to get additional time out of them by further minimizing walking (something the TP site could improve at), and then getting completely off schedule by 10AM and blowing up my carefully and lovingly designed plan by hitting “optimize” in the park.

Amidala

So it's the Touring Plans app, likely with some other mobile magic features integrated in.

And my best guess -- They hope to tightly integrate the replacement for FP+. One possibility, to encourage use of the Genie... is that it rewards you with FPs through the day. This could also be a way of steering traffic -- a FP that suddenly pops up on your phone. Basically, "we know you had planned to go get on standby lines for Jungle Cruise and Pirates, but those are really backed up right now.... "Go Enjoy a surprise FP for Space Mountain!""

Kind of an evil genius plan, but I could see it being beneficial. Is it doable though??? The app would have to juggle a lot of different variables and as a basis for comparison MDE doesn't exactly inspire confidence lmao.

It seems more geared toward first timers and large groups who find the sheer number of parks, dining and attraction options, etc. overwhelming and need a little extra help planning out their day. I think it's a great idea assuming it actually functions as intended, which is a big IF. And I'd definitely like to give it a shot myself, but I'm probably not the target demo.

Not sure how this is going to affect FP+ but I personally wouldn't be sad to see it replaced with a cross between DLR's Max Pass and a (more affordable?) UO Express Pass. I think it would shorten wait times in the long term and wouldn't mind splurging (within reason) every once in a while if I'm visiting parks with family/friends and want to get a lot done.

nickys

Premium Member
Presumably even small changes to the overall FP system will have big impacts in some places. Someone keeping track of and analyzing the data will become even more critical.

I look forward to continuing to spend hours tinkering with “optimized” touring plans to get additional time out of them by further minimizing walking (something the TP site could improve at), and then getting completely off schedule by 10AM and blowing up my carefully and lovingly designed plan by hitting “optimize” in the park.
My observation is that you need some guidance in how and when to use the TP optimiser, or not using it! 😉

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Kind of an evil genius plan, but I could see it being beneficial. Is it doable though??? The app would have to juggle a lot of different variables and as a basis for comparison MDE doesn't exactly inspire confidence lmao.

It seems more geared toward first timers and large groups who find the sheer number of parks, dining and attraction options, etc. overwhelming and need a little extra help planning out their day. I think it's a great idea assuming it actually functions as intended, which is a big IF. And I'd definitely like to give it a shot myself, but I'm probably not the target demo.
Disney’s goal with Genie will (presumably) be to maximize total enjoyment across all guests, not my enjoyment specifically. I imagine for WDW park pros, Genie will be something we manipulate, not some thing that manipulates us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom