Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Sharon&Susan

They’ve lied about smaller things before.
I mean you’re probably correct but many years of disappointment has left me sceptical of most information that comes out.
Shutting down the only gift shop in an area just to save some money doesn't seem logical. If they were going that route, the smart thing to do would be to shut Toontown entirely down especially since most of the Neighborhood District is already closed for clear, COVID related reasons.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Also, consider that the California version of the building is skinnier than Florida's and they have to fit a vehicle maintenance bay somewhere on the east or west side of the show building instead of the north/south side like in Florida. That's another reason why the building is so wide.

wdrive

Shutting down the only gift shop in an area just to save some money doesn't seem logical. If they were going that route, the smart thing to do would be to shut Toontown entirely down especially since most of the Neighborhood District is already closed for clear, COVID related reasons.

I don’t really care too much I just found it interesting that they gave a reason for one shop being closed. It’s obvious most are closed to save money, it just makes it more obvious when they give an excuse to one.

Not that I blame them, even if the parks were at 50% they wouldn’t need every shop open.

BayouShack

“Offices” is so vague. I wonder what they’re actually putting in them. I can’t imagine those displaced from construction are without offices. I’d assume they have what they need in the Wands and Wishes building?

I wonder if they’re thinking ahead and already relocating the contents of buildings they plan on demolishing for future construction.

Off the top of my head, what comes to mind are the two buildings behind Oga’s Cantina. It seems likely that eventually there will be something there. Hopefully an expansion to the Cantina, and a third ride. When those offices are ready in another year or two, they could start on the “3rd Star Wars ride” soon after. At Disney’s pace that gives us the ride in 6 years.

I know the buildings are now costuming for Galaxy’s Edge and Fantasyland. I’d imagine there are some offices and training rooms too. All things they’ll still need, just not yet.

I also wonder if they’re going to get rid of the three green buildings for the future Avengers E Ticket. The DCA operations offices need to stay there, but they have the space in that new backstage building behind Luigi’s. There’s also rehearsal halls, a kitchen for catering, and training rooms. Some of that stuff isn’t anchored to that area, and could be relocated to the mysterious Runaway Railway offices.

I’m hopeful they’ll continue consolidating a lot of their operations to make room for theme park expansion. I think the mixed use we’re seeing with Runaway Railway is a good sign.

PS: I got curious about the plot of land behind Falcon and Toon Town. They could fit a cramped version of Frozen Land in there. You might say "hey, that's not anywhere near Fantasyland. Where's the cohesion?" I think we all know they don't care about flow anymore, considering that Disney West + stuff is just a free-for all that doesn't even try to work within its surrounding. If they get their permission and fine being patient, we might be spared an awkward transition in the original Disneyland. But still. Two Fantasylands in one park? I need for order and harmony! What they've been doing ever since Carsland is driving me crazy. It's becoming this ugly cacophony of IPs.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t really care too much I just found it interesting that they gave a reason for one shop being closed. It’s obvious most are closed to save money, it just makes it more obvious when they give an excuse to one.

Not that I blame them, even if the parks were at 50% they wouldn’t need every shop open.
Honestly I think you're reading too much into this. This is likely exactly what its stated as, closed as part of the construction of MMRR.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Off the top of my head, what comes to mind are the two buildings behind Oga’s Cantina. It seems likely that eventually there will be something there. Hopefully an expansion to the Cantina, and a third ride. When those offices are ready in another year or two, they could start on the “3rd Star Wars ride” soon after. At Disney’s pace that gives us the ride in 6 years.
Well, showing on my map, Oga's is roughly in the green circle. I had assumed during construction that the blue area would be the restaurant expansion, but I honestly don't know what is in that building at the moment. They could always expand into the yellow area I suppose. I also have no clue what's in the red building, but it's purely backstage.

I was always under the impression that the two buildings on the expansion pad were only temporary for the construction of the land, but I guess they could still be in use. That plot of land is plenty be enough for a third ride. There are plenty of access ways to get back there.

swl.jpg

BayouShack

Blue is Stuff They Need. Believe it or not, it has its own teeny kitchen. Then, throw in dishwashing, cash, and storage and you’ve filled the space. Yellow would be the Oga's addition. There'd be no way to connect the interior of an expansion with what's currently there. Yellow would be expansion. My guess is you enter through that arch below purple and then turn left into the dining room.

With those buildings, yes, they've found a use for them now, but it can all be moved.

lazyboy97o

A chunk of it is definitely office space, can see the windows on the left corner of building.

Also a very clear fire wall down the middle, so I am curious if the ride only takes up space beyond the firewall, and the queue / offices are all in the other half?
I think that is a joint, not a fire wall. In the images from late last year you can see that the columns double up at this same point. Raising the joint provides for movement and water tightness. You can cap the raised joint instead of having something that trying to sit flush with the roof membrane.

It wouldn’t make sense to use a fire wall here as they have a minimum 2 hour rating when used with an Assembly or Business occupancies but you only need a 1 hour rating to separate Assembly and Business occupancies. A fire wall is a lot of extra hassle and expense (higher rating, has to survive either side collapsing) over simpler 1 hour separations. It also wouldn’t make sense to separate the office and queue from the ride. The queue and ride are both Assembly, so you’d still have a Mixed Use on the office side.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I think that is a joint, not a fire wall. In the images from late last year you can see that the columns double up at this same point. Raising the joint provides for movement and water tightness. You can cap the raised joint instead of having something that trying to sit flush with the roof membrane.

It wouldn’t make sense to use a fire wall here as they have a minimum 2 hour rating when used with an Assembly or Business occupancies but you only need a 1 hour rating to separate Assembly and Business occupancies. A fire wall is a lot of extra hassle and expense (higher rating, has to survive either side collapsing) over simpler 1 hour separations. It also wouldn’t make sense to separate the office and queue from the ride. The queue and ride are both Assembly, so you’d still have a Mixed Use on the office side.

Oh very interesting, it just looked large and very "dividey" - so I just assumed some sort of fire prevention wall.

mickEblu

It is massive. The side closest to SW is still open and you can see all the steel still exposed inside. I haven't seen it from toon towns perspective but friends have. They say it looms over land. Taller than what the mountains used to be.

A lot taller? I’m sure they ll put the hills facades on the new MMRRA building but I wonder how that the new required height of those facades change the more intimate feel of Toontown. I guess let’s just hope they are planning to put facades at all. Who knows these days?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It is massive. The side closest to SW is still open and you can see all the steel still exposed inside. I haven't seen it from toon towns perspective but friends have. They say it looms over land. Taller than what the mountains used to be.
It doesn't surprise me that one side is still open, they did the same thing for Rise of the Resistance building. They left it open until the very end so they can move large pieces in and out of the building.

As for it looming over TT, my guess is they will put fake facade of larger rolling hills up to cover it.

Nland316

Is this really the new standard size show building we should be expecting from new attractions now? I know there are numerous factors involved including ride system and safety requirements, but if this is the new normal it seems like we’ll be severely taking up real estate in these expansion areas.

yensidtlaw1969

Is this really the new standard size show building we should be expecting from new attractions now? I know there are numerous factors involved including ride system and safety requirements, but if this is the new normal it seems like we’ll be severely taking up real estate in these expansion areas.
For real- You can fit almost two Roger Rabbits in the footprint of Runaway Railway (Just the ride building, not including the offices!). All five Fantasyland Dark Rides AND the Castle could fit on that same acreage. I recognize that there are some valid reasons that Disney doesn't build on that kind of intimate scale anymore, but there is such thing as balance.

The Runaway Railway show building is larger than the Haunted Mansion show building - both Rise of the Resistance AND Smuggler's Run are EACH twice the size of Mansion. Disneyland doesn't have the land to kill that much space on each new addition. And even if they choose to expand out into the parking lots like has been proposed, the entire original park is gonna end up maxed out on a handful of new experiences if they don't reign things in.

I enjoy Runaway Railway for what it is, but *I* wouldn't have signed away so much valuable Disneyland real estate to it. It won't even crack the Top Ten attractions at the park. The building's almost as big as Indy! This isn't an Indy-level ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom