Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Old Mouseketeer

This is really callous.

I couldn’t care less about the Frozen show. I laughed through it the first time I saw it. But these are real people and if this girl opened Magical Map, then she had invested at least 7 years of her life into working at Disneyland. But your insults apply to everyone else too, whether you meant it or not.

When an attraction or store closes, that usually means CMs are deployed elsewhere, not laid off. And I can assure you that those in Attractions and Stores shed plenty of tears on social media when they and/or their coworkers lost their jobs in 2020. The Instagram posts exist, trust me. It’s not surprising that one of the resort’s more visible performers’ is the post you saw first.

And social media was the only outlet for most people to even communicate with their friends and coworkers at all this year.

You have a certain style and I know you never shy away from an opportunity to roast someone in humor, so I’m not sure if your post was sincere. If not, well. Har har, I guess. Good one. But you have a lot of influence here, TP, and people eat this up like it’s the truth.
I know people who worked backstage and even as ushers who are really sad about Frozen and Magical Map closing. But it's the worst for the performers because there is basically no live entertainment anywhere. This is stalling their career trajectory. I know of Disney performers who have gone on to Broadway and touring productions. There was one former CM in the cast of Hamilton when it closed last year. These performers have just as much right to express their sense of loss as anyone else. I have a friend in an Entertainment support department who was laid off--they could have stayed on furlough, but they would have had to return to their old department (in this case Laundry). I have ties to the DL Entertainment Division going back 50 years and I feel badly for anyone who worked, practiced, and studied hard for years to earn a place as a professional performer or crew. Their pain is real.

Old Mouseketeer

It depends on the state. Strangely enough it is stricter in FL than CA. But the statues in both are written in regards to traveling carnivals. In both states the max time a ride operator is 16 hrs. After that a FL operator must have at least 8 hours of down time before returning to the job. There is no time mentioned in the CA Statue so 1 min and they can go back to work? I didn't dig too hard and CA has a HUGE amount of regulations regarding time "on" and "off".
There are also limits in the union contract. It's been a lot of years since I worked an attraction anywhere. I don't know if there's a limit on hours worked consecutively, but I want to say there's a minimum 9-hour turnaround for Disney to avoid paying a penalty.

Stevek

Incredible doubt on my end. No WAY the Bob’s would do something that is both convient for the consumer, and reduces profit!
Guessing this is a short term thing, similar to what is going on at WDW. Maxpass appears to have been fairly popular and as you say, it's a money maker.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From the OCR.

>>Disneyland’s theoretical maximum capacity is approximately 85,000, according to Touring Plans, which uses big data and statistical analysis to calculate daily theme park crowd sizes. Disneyland officials rarely discuss visitor attendance or capacity.<<

Using the 25% capacity mentioned by a senior CM in today's Chamber event.

That is 21,125 guests, so more than a few.
Using TEA's 2019 numbers, the *average* daily attendance at DL was 51,000.

So, this "25% of capacity" will actually feel like "50% of 'normal.'"

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
And with attractions running at half capacity, lines will be 100% of normal! I think a lot of people are banking on low waits... they’re going to be disappointed.
Lines have been consistently in the “low season weekday” range at WDW. They’re in the normal range, but they are at the bottom of it.

Disneyland’s lowest low crowd days are quieter than MK’s tho. And there’s a lot less physical space for those people to go...

el_super

Incredible doubt on my end. No WAY the Bob’s would do something that is both convient for the consumer, and reduces profit!

I don't think the small cost of MaxPass was really driving profits. I would even question whether it covered the development and deployment costs of the software upgrades supporting it. The cost was really just in place to artificially limit usage in order to make it a viable product.

All that said, it's entirely possible it just goes away forever. No point in having MaxPass if Fastpass isn't coming back, and no real point of having Fastpass if the park crowds are kept in check.

PiratesMansion

At this point, I’m assuming even though the reservations will be 60 days out, which means they will be booking reservations through June 30th, they will be requiring everyone booking to be CA residents. Is that impression you’re getting?

Based on the info we have so far, yes.

But if we can go in July I'm ok with that. That's typically when I visit anyway.

ToTBellHop

Based on the info we have so far, yes.

But if we can go in July I'm ok with that. That's typically when I visit anyway.
Let’s hope the state confirms the tier removal early enough that there are still reservations open in late June once out-of-staters are allowed. Of course, capacity constraints go away then, so presumably more park reservations can open then anyway.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm not local, but I'm going to attempt to reserve the Sat-Sun on Memorial weekend. The hours should be 9-9 by then, but I also know that will be a popular weekend, so it's hard to say if I'll get in....especially if current ticket holders get a few days' head start on reservations. 🤞

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think the small cost of MaxPass was really driving profits. I would even question whether it covered the development and deployment costs of the software upgrades supporting it. The cost was really just in place to artificially limit usage in order to make it a viable product.

All that said, it's entirely possible it just goes away forever. No point in having MaxPass if Fastpass isn't coming back, and no real point of having Fastpass if the park crowds are kept in check.

I think all this is more about 'no fastpass' right now - not future of maxpass

Stevek

David Koenig, who has written a few books about Disneyland, tweets: "When Disneyland and its eateries reopen in three weeks, expect simplified menus and an intense push for mobile ordering. The number of cash registers at restaurants has been cut in half."
As long as they have enough staff to process the orders, that's not a problem. Touch of Disney has shown there are some challenges with the mobile order process though I had zero issues when I used it at Disneyland previously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom