Masks and Social Distancing Go Away in WDW

When Masks and Social Distancing will go away in USA?

• Summer 2021

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • Fall/Winter 2021

Votes: 123 28.7%

Votes: 228 53.1%

Votes: 20 4.7%

Votes: 6 1.4%

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

Walt Disney1955

I giggled when I read this, because - no matter how careful we are/were - every time we went on vacation to an amusement park, or on a cruise, one of us came back sick with something- stomach virus, strep, bronchitis, etc. And that was with hand-washing and sanitizer - even back then. Now it will be with masks, hand-washing/sanitizer, and trying to social distance. Will be interesting to see what happens when we go to Disney 5/1. No one in my family has been sick in the past year, which is a first, except my city daughter who had covid in March 2020.

Right. Well that's the thing, it happens, you know? When I was a teenager for some reason I got a bruised tailbone while we were at the end of our Florida trip. I can remember going to MK and still loving it and not regretting it. Not the most fun plane ride home because you are sitting down and you don't realize just how much you use your tailbone. But it was worth it. That was 1997. I don't know what happened because we did WDW, Universal and Busch Gardens that year. So maybe there was a ride that specifically bumped us really hard, I don't know. Anyway, if you would ask me that if we go to WDW but on the drive home I'd have the 24hr flu I'd still take the risk and go. I think we all would.

bdearl41

We are pretty much at the point where half of major attractions are loading every row so capacity has increased, which means the lines will move a little quicker and duration in queues spent less. As long as the masks are worn completely and some distance attempt is made, the masses getting vaccinated and research for treatments carried out, things are only likely going to grow closer to normal from here on out.
It’s good to hear they are filling the rides.

FettFan

That doesn't mean you can't end up being your brothers undertaker. I hope they can say soon they know vaccinated people can't still spread it, or the majority of people are vaccinated, but not there yet so masks still serve a purpose.

Well, their fate is entirely on them.
Live by the antivax, die by the antivax.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Somewhere in 2020 we became so fearful of the smallest risks. I think for years we have been asking for this sort of treatment, what with the helicopter parenting styles and such. There are some people where living in a bubble like we have lived for the last year is right up their alley! Not mine though. I want to live, and life is more than just surviving.
Since we are not allowed to get into political discussions on this forum I cannot comment on the reasons for living in fear. But, I will say that our family is not living in fear and we are attempting to live life as close to pre-covid norms as possible.

How is it in Georgia? We are in Ontario and that is basically the worst restrictions in North America. No one is happy with it. But I like Georgia's approach. Take your own risk. Wear a mask if you choose, but don't force it on others. My guess is behind closed doors Disney is desperately waiting for Orange County to take that silly mask rule off the books, because Florida as a state doesn't have it. There is no way Disney wants to lose that advantage of customer service and smiles that they all had over everyone else.
Georgia is has not been too restrictive for quite a while. Schools have been a mix of in person and virtual learning, depending on the number of covid cases. Lots of school sports are back. Churches, gyms, restaurants, hair/nail salons all back open, although there have been capacity restrictions. Many stores are still requiring masks, but that has also been gradually changing. The governor just announced the end to most restrictions effective this coming Thursday. It will be interesting to see if private businesses like grocery stores drop mask requirements.

celluloid

It’s good to hear they are filling the rides.

Slinky Dog and some others since Christmas. Universal on some plexi glass separated rows on rides such as Kong and outdoor coasters since September and Dollywood and Hershey as well as some Six Flags since their reopening have loaded all roads on all attractions.
It will be interesting to see what Cedar Fair does outside of Knotts in Cali with strict regulations, but I think that it is a safe bet that King's Island and Cedar Point will be loading each row as their play areas are even announced to be reopening.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

You say this as if there’s some mystery about why people started taking precautions in 2020. If a global pandemic isn’t reason enough, I don’t know what is.

The first month, maybe, maybe 2 months perhaps. Although I saw through it back then as well. But over a year later? Come on now folks. Life is worth living. I actually miss the days when I wanted to do a WDW vacation and couldn't do it because we couldn't afford it at the time and would save money for it in the future. At least then it was my fault if we couldn't go. But WDW was at least always the same then and you knew you'd be back to the same old place you loved before. It was an escape from the world. Right now it is simply just a reminder.

2009 Swine Flu there were 700 million cases. Covid it has been 128 million. We went to WDW twice during the Swine Flu pandemic and didn't even know about it. That's the power of media for you if there ever was one example.

Giss Neric

I heard that some countries the citizens have to pay for their vaccines. Horrible but a blessing in disguise for the anti-vaxxers cause they have a valid reason why they won't get one. I surely won't get one if I have to pay for it but I don't oppose to getting a vaccine.

LittleBuford

The first month, maybe, maybe 2 months perhaps. Although I saw through it back then as well. But over a year later? Come on now folks. Life is worth living.
My dad contracted COVID in January. He's still in ICU, over two months later. So yes, people are certainly right to behave cautiously, even a year into the pandemic. Life is indeed worth living, which is precisely why we need to fight the virus rather than pretend it's no big deal.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My dad contracted COVID in January. He's still in ICU, over two months later. So yes, people are certainly right to behave cautiously, even a year into the pandemic. Life is indeed worth living, which is precisely why we need to fight the virus rather than pretend it's no big deal.
Swine flu mortality under 200k worldwide
Covid over 2 million.
I completely agree with you.

Walt Disney1955

Posts of this nature will be deleted
Swine flu mortality under 200k worldwide
Covid over 2 million.
I completely agree with you.

It was between 200,000-575,000 actually. 80% were 65 and under. So it wasn't like the flu or Covid where the elderly with underlining conditions got it. Hey, people are obsessed with testing and cases, so if that is the case Covid is not near even the annual flu. Whatever you think, it is time to move on with life, these lockdowns and restrictions have done so much damage worldwide in so many ways. The best way is to live your life normal. The best medicine is sunshine, outdoors, vitamin D, good diet, exercise, etc.

pixie225

First off, hope your dad is out of icu soon. I have had "healthy" friends who still are having not-so-great side effects from contracting covid- mostly irregular heartbeat, and/or breathing issues. This virus is a big deal to the hundreds of thousands who died, and their families.

Chi84

Premium Member
I hope this thread can stay on the specific issue of when people think masks will no longer be needed at WDW. There are different threads for those who want to discuss how many people died, how serious COVID is and whether or not they will get the vaccine.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's easier to have a blanket on property mask wearing mandate. Inside/outside becomes a logistical headache. So I see it staying as is for a while.
My opinion is that mitigation measures should remain at least until the vaccines are widely available to anyone who wants one, and my bet is that is what WDW will do. But as the number of vaccinated people increases, the actual good being done by masks necessarily decreases.

These mitigation measures were put into place when there was no way to protect yourself from getting sick. If a mask increased your protection from 0% to 70%, it was quite an effective measure. When it gets to the point that most people are vaccinated and the mask increases your protection from 95% to 99%, that's a different story.

I do agree, though, that blanket measures are necessary for the time being because most people are still unvaccinated, and enforcement limited to the unvaccinated would not be possible.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sending lots of socially distanced {HUGS}} I hope he gets moved to a regular room soon

Phil12

It was between 200,000-575,000 actually. 80% were 65 and under. So it wasn't like the flu or Covid where the elderly with underlining conditions got it. Hey, people are obsessed with testing and cases, so if that is the case Covid is not near even the annual flu. Whatever you think, it is time to move on with life, these lockdowns and restrictions have done so much damage worldwide in so many ways. The best way is to live your life normal. The best medicine is sunshine, outdoors, vitamin D, good diet, exercise, etc.
The best medicine is to follow Covid-19 precautionary guidelines and not to spread misinformation and deny science.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom