A Touch of Disney begins March 18, 2021

waltography

I'm happy my gut told me to steer clear of Disneyland for at least a few weeks after it reopens. Perhaps a month or more.

On April 30th I will make a nice, quiet cocktail at home and say a prayer for the CM's. 🧐
I'm hoping to get an end of May date too; don't know how lucky I be though considering any virtual queue process Disney's done has been a mess.

TP2000

I do think the point about how Disney gave everyone a gift card for their $25 food credit, but then made it needlessly complicated to use said gift card, is not being discussed enough as the huge fail that it is.

This wouldn't be the first time they had a fail like that.

This kind of stuff happens way too often due to TDA's red tape and bureaucracy.

But then they get a few kids from Fullerton Junior College (Go Hornets!) and put them in plaid vests at the Guest Relations counter who will smile really big and tell you how sorry they are they can't help you, and then claim with a straight face that all of that is "World Class Guest Service!" in their "World Class Resort District!". 😁

Meanwhile, your gift card has fine print regulating its use a mile long and their World Class Resort District actually looks like this...

IMG_0533.JPG

Stevek

This wouldn't be the first time they had a fail like that.

This kind of stuff happens way too often due to TDA's red tape and bureaucracy.

But then they get a few kids from Fullerton Junior College (Go Hornets!) and put them in plaid vests at the Guest Relations counter who will smile really big and tell you how sorry they are they can't help you, and then claim with a straight face that all of that is "World Class Guest Service!" in their "World Class Resort District!". 😁

Meanwhile, your gift card has fine print regulating its use a mile long and their World Class Resort District actually looks like this...

View attachment 542193
We had our 24th anniversary dinner at Ruth's Cris Monday night an was very saddened to see this exact scene play out, both here and the bus stop closer to 7-11.

waltography

End of May would be about the earliest I would go. That would put me a month out after my 2nd Moderna dose.
End of May would be almost two months after my family gets their last shot so that's when we felt most comfortable (both with vaccine efficacy and with park ops). We're a grab bag of vaccinations (J&J, Pfizer, Moderna) so we're our own little efficacy test. 😂

DrAlice

I'll echo what others have said.: sounds like business as usual at Disney. Parking, security, and entry lines have been ridiculously inefficient for years. Also, I remember trying to add MaxPass to my app while in the parks and I had to type my CC number in to the app too. It had a little thing to scan your card so you wouldn't have to type it, but it never worked. What a magical start to the day!

Ugh..... This seems like such a simple thing to get right. I'm not sure why they even gave people physical cards. Why didn't they just load $25 onto the app with the "not-a-festival" ticket?

TP2000

I'll echo what others have said.: sounds like business as usual at Disney. Parking, security, and entry lines have been ridiculously inefficient for years. Also, I remember trying to add MaxPass to my app while in the parks and I had to type my CC number in to the app too. It had a little thing to scan your card so you wouldn't have to type it, but it never worked. What a magical start to the day!

Ugh..... This seems like such a simple thing to get right. I'm not sure why they even gave people physical cards. Why didn't they just load $25 onto the app with the "not-a-festival" ticket?

Sadly, Disneyland is too often amateur hour when it comes to stuff like this.

Some here think we pick on them too much, but quite honestly I don't think we pick on them enough. Not for the prices they charge, not for the phony lip service they give to being "World Class!", and not for how much money and resources their company has to get it right.

I'm sure we've all been to other hospitality and tourism outifts out there in the last five years that are lightyears ahead of Disneyland; museums, ski resorts, fancy hotels. Or even retail stores like the Apple Store or Williams-Sonoma who always know exactly who I am, what I like and don't like, and how they can best serve me.

The crowding and logistics disaster of A Touch Of Disney is simply the most recent letdown and failure. And this event is nothing more than a downsized food festival experience run out of snack bars for 5,000 people per day using a large resort facility designed to host 100,000 people per day. And they still failed at it. :rolleyes:

But gosh darnit, they have actual executives in charge of the Guest Arrival Experience! And they say that with a straight face.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The crowding and logistics disaster of A Touch Of Disney is simply the most recent letdown and failure. And this event is nothing more than a downsized food festival experience run out of snack bars for 5,000 people per day using a large resort facility designed to host 100,000 people per day. And they still failed at it. :rolleyes:
Cynic. ;)

The place has been closed for a year and the rules all changed while a lot of people were furloughed. I'll cut them some slack for the next several months to get their groove back before any declarations of abject failure. :)

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Because that would make too much sense.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Sadly, Disneyland is too often amateur hour when it comes to stuff like this.

Some here think we pick on them too much, but quite honestly I don't think we pick on them enough. Not for the prices they charge, not for the phony lip service they give to being "World Class!", and not for how much money and resources their company has to get it right.

I'm sure we've all been to other hospitality and tourism outifts out there in the last five years that are lightyears ahead of Disneyland;
Chick-fil-a

CaptinEO

Cynic. ;)

The place has been closed for a year and the rules all changed while a lot of people were furloughed. I'll cut them some slack for the next several months to get their groove back before any declarations of abject failure. :)
Im no Knotts fanboy but I was at their festival opening weekend and had no issues whatsoever. Don't cut the multi billion dollar company any slack for cheaping out, especially since they have a trend for doing so at the guests expense.

For this event they should have been over staffed and over prepared.

Anyone going to Disneyland over the years would notice the massive staff reductions that continuously happen.

CaptinEO

The comments here have a lot of people who visited this "event".

"Not worth it. Took 75+ minutes to park, get through security and walk 1/4 mile to park where food is not readily available. Reservations for restaurants and walk up at 2 full service restaurants sold out within hour of opening. Not sure if could have been done prior to entering because when tried to reserve through app, said we weren’t within vicinity of restaurant. Ordering food not intuitive and frustrating for hungry guests. Ordering through app did not accept dining payment tickets so paid by credit card because hungry. If card accepted, must type in numbers rather than scan. One of 4 payment tickets didn’t work- Said not activated. Apparently not uncommon occurrence. Waited 30 minutes to get someone to give me replacement. Hassled everyone in my party for all paper documentation. If at entry, there appears to be an issue, do not accept “come back if it doesn’t work” – don’t wait until payment is declined. Not at all the usual Disney customer service experience by most staff. If you can find someone… 25% of them wonderful, 75% of encountered staff apathetic, annoyed and unhelpful if you don’t understand, can’t find something, have a problem. Not at all up to standards I had enjoyed as a 10+ year pass holder. Felt conned. Experience far from up to par with previous Disney standards."

Figments Friend

Wait.... out-of-state people can go to this "festival", but aren't allowed to come when the park opens for real? 🧐o_O🤣

We live in a insane world.

Yes, i could fly into town from 2,400 or so miles away for this lame-o 'food fest' at DCA, but cannot do the same to visit Disneyland Park that lies a few feet across from the esplanade.

Wut..?
:banghead:

Makes no dang sense at all.

Pfft, forget it....
I have changed my mind.
Instead of sneaking into Disneyland Park on April 30th, i will just go over to TP's for cocktails and laughter from his balcony.
We can enjoy chilled seven hour old real lobster rolls from Legal Seafoods that i smuggled onto the plane, and toast to the traffic jams and disgruntled vloggers from his cliff top pad.

That is....if he will have me.

;)

-

Last edited:

TP2000

Cynic. ;)

I know friend, and I am willing to cut them some slack. They've never done anything like this before. It's all App based, and that's gotta be a pain to program and manage. But it's also apparently a big failure and headache for those spending $75 for $25 worth of food. If you aren't ready for prime time and confident you can shine, then don't charge $75 for $25 worth of food.

But then I think... what the heck have you people in TDA been doing for the past year? Knott's and Sea World did food festivals experiences six months ago and they didn't have any of these types of headaches and hassles.

This is not rocket science TDA, you are not sending Americans to Mars. This is simply a closed theme park complex designed to host 100,000 customers per day running a small food festival experience for 5,000 customers per day out of some snack bars and restaurants.

But they couldn't get it to work? And even their sycophant Internet blogger fans wrote unflattering reviews about it?

Yikes. Uh, TDA? Maybe it's time to cut back on the Cabernet on all those Zoom meetings, kids. :oops:

We live in a insane world.

Yes, i could fly into town from 2,400 or so miles away for this lame-o 'food fest' at DCA, but cannot do the same to visit Disneyland Park that lies a few feet across from the esplanade.

Wut..?
:banghead:

Makes no dang sense at all.

Pfft, forget it....
I have changed my mind.
Instead of sneaking into Disneyland Park on April 30th, i will just go over to TP's for cocktails and laughter from his balcony.
We can enjoy chilled seven hour old real lobster rolls from Legal Seafoods that i smuggled onto the plane, and toast to the traffic jams and disgruntled vloggers from his cliff top pad.

That is....if he will have me.

;)

-

None of it makes sense to any sane, normal person. Because very little in California makes sense any more.

Up is down. Unadjusted is Adjusted. Indoor is outdoor (especially at The French Laundry). A festival is not a festival, it's an experience.

But if you've got lobster rolls to share, come on over and we'll make the best of it on this coast! 🤣

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I thought it was crazy when I heard that some folks were going to this event twice but just read about a certain long time Disneyland podcaster is going 5 times. This is the same podcaster I chastised a decade plus ago for pleading with his listeners to donate money so he could go to WDW and do binaural recordings for his show. Man, I need to make podcaster money (I don’t for a second think he’s making much off his pod BTW).
I still find it crazy how many people donate money to bloggers just for shoutout or for a picture of something. I heard a blogger thanking people for $100, $50 just for turning their camera over towards the Ferris wheel or for telling them how something tasted.
These people are giving online adult entertainers a run for their money. LOL

Stevek

I still find it crazy how many people donate money to bloggers just for shoutout or for a picture of something. I heard a blogger thanking people for $100, $50 just for turning their camera over towards the Ferris wheel or for telling them how something tasted.
Yeah, it's a bit odd to me as well.

MarvelCharacterNerd

But then I think... what the heck have you people in TDA been doing for the past year?
I'm gonna guess - sitting at home furloughed and wondering how to pay the rent.

It's been a craptacular year for a lot of employees. And again, just me, I'm cutting them slack while they figure out how to function in a whole new way under random and constantly changing rules with 1/10th or whatever of their former staff.

I get the complaints on the macro level, but I'm looking at the micro level and I know they're all just dancing as fast as they can to keep up as best they can with what they've got to work with.

Giss Neric

I mean you answered it right there. If you have subscribed to someone's onlyfans, you would be surprised how people are willing to pay for the craziest things.

Some people just wanna live vicariously through these vloggers and they do that by donating money through their patreon, through super chats or just sending them gift cards for vloggers to use on their behalf and basically spend those money the way the donor wants them to spend it and give them a shoutout at the end.

I know it's a nitpick but why do some people still refer to youtubers are "bloggers" when they are called vloggers anyways. I know it's pedantic but video blogging = vloggers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom