Am I the only one that liked the Birthday Cake castle?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Honestly I was kind of hoping they would do that again. I know there’s something wrong with me but this new decor doesn’t do it for me, I liked the paint job but these extra decorations are ruining it. Not only did I like the quirky birthday cake castle it’s something I wouldn’t mind seeing again and actually prefer it over this current look.

Amidala

Honestly I was kind of hoping they would do that again. I know there’s something wrong with me but this new decor doesn’t do it for me, I liked the paint job but these extra decorations are ruining it. Not only did I like the quirky birthday cake castle it’s something I wouldn’t mind seeing again and actually prefer it over this current look.

I'm not super offended by it or anything, but definitely prefer the more subtle decorations. Families on their once-in-a-lifetime trips to WDW probably wouldn't be happy to find the park's most famous landmark covered in giant pink bubble wrap. The 50th decorations are a way to convey to guests there's a celebration happening without totally obscuring the castle. I'm actually not a fan of the castle repaint & wish they would paint over the hideous salmon with an off-white or pale blue. Probably not likely, but they did repaint the turrets already and I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned/rumored that TPTB aren't happy with the pink so? Maybe I'll get my 50th anniversary miracle and never have to look at that ugly pink again.

SteamboatJoe

Ok. I'll admit it. I liked it....but I was 12. I had already seen the castle in its normal state a few years before so seeing it look different didn't bother me at all.

correcaminos

Yes.

Next question. ;)
eva longoria nod GIF by Overboard Movie

;)

ohioguy

Imagine going to WDW for a once-in-a-lifetime trip and having the iconic castle remade into a horridly pink birthday cake using cheap inflatables. Nope, no, nada. I agree that the new paint job just completed is equally questionable, though not as horrendous. Unlike the birthday cake, Cinderella isn't going to throw herself off the balcony....😆

Diesel Dan

My kids were 10 & 8 and loved it. My Wife loved it because they loved it. I then had to love it since they all loved it. Lot of Cake Castle love at the time. Hope they don't bring it back.

JIMINYCR

Soooo glad I never was at WDW when that monstrosity was in place. To take a beautiful Castle and treat it that way should be a crime. The people responsible for the atrocity should have been flogged and then thrown in the dungeon or moat.

Goofyernmost

No, you're not alone. I went to WDW twice during the 25 anniversary and loved the castle cake for it's detail and it's lightheartedness. It never occurred to me that I should be upset that something that creative (and I'm sure very costly) should have generated that much controversy. A plastic bright cheerful cake covering a plastic castle, never seemed like a problem to me. Now do that to Buckingham Palace or some real architecture and it might be reason for distress. Funny thing is that the same people that seem so upset about the cake are just fine with twinkle lights being embedded in an actual architecturally, historical building like SSE. Go figure!

Last edited:

PineapplePrincess

I don't remember thinking too much about it one way or the other. Since it was something I had no control over, it didn't occur to me to voice my opinion.
Then again, it wasn't my first trip and I knew it wouldn't be my last. If it had been a once in a lifetime trip, I'm sure I would have been disappointed.

jaklgreen

Loved it --wife has a t shirt with the birthday cake on it.

I did not like it, but I do have a drinking glass with the picture of the cake castle on it for the 25th. I hope they have something similar for the 50th. I just booked a trip for that time and was able to get MK park pass reservations for that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom