A Touch of Disney begins March 18, 2021

Curious Constance

It’s funny to me. Ya’ll non-Californians can eat here but don’t even think about coming here to get on some rides.😂😂
I saw they had a couple Autopia cars and a few of the Luigi’s cars sitting out for people to climb in and take pictures at the event. They must have had a sign I missed that said “California residents only on ride vehicles, please.”

TP2000

Wait.... out-of-state people can go to this "festival", but aren't allowed to come when the park opens for real? 🧐o_O🤣

It's not a "festival", because "festivals" are still forbidden in the Red Tier. And Orange Tier. This is an "experience", there's a huge difference.

But... you're correct. And it's all been approved by your betters in Sacramento who are experts in their field.

But please don't question the Science & Data. Questioning it will only make you go insane. Just accept it.

This is not a festival, it's an experience. :)

Last edited:

Miru

Trip report: skipped breakfast for that event so I could pig out on the entrees there. I dined on a Monte Cristo, Bengal Barbecue skewers (beef and chicken), a chili cone (though I regret biting into the cone, it was tasteless), and churro fries before taking a break at the hotel. Dinner was barbacoa nachos and I drank a pair of Goofball Island mocktails. Service was decent there, and understandable due to covid. There didn’t seem to be any exclusive merchandise, but there were a few discounts, with which I got some socks, plus a tumbler, a Milo Thatch print, and a plush WALL-E. Pixar Pier is a bit less of an eyesore than I was anticipating it to be, and the carnival games were free but offered no prizes. The music loop was around 14 tracks, and of them only “Try Everything” wasn’t a cover version. There were some photo ops, and surprisingly, Goofy and Max went fishing in Pacific Wharf! I also saw Mickey from afar. Interesting approach of utilizing Un-advertised live characters from a distance.

Miru

Yeah, you got me there. There were many more. Was pleasantly surprised that “It’s A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” got in, not so much with “Getcha Head In The Game” and “I’m Your Girl”, but I understand that they’re there as 2000s kid nostalgia.

Stevek

I thought it was crazy when I heard that some folks were going to this event twice but just read about a certain long time Disneyland podcaster is going 5 times. This is the same podcaster I chastised a decade plus ago for pleading with his listeners to donate money so he could go to WDW and do binaural recordings for his show. Man, I need to make podcaster money (I don’t for a second think he’s making much off his pod BTW).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I thought it was crazy when I heard that some folks were going to this event twice but just read about a certain long time Disneyland podcaster is going 5 times. This is the same podcaster I chastised a decade plus ago for pleading with his listeners to donate money so he could go to WDW and do binaural recordings for his show. Man, I need to make podcaster money (I don’t for a second think he’s making much off his pod BTW).
Suckers born every minute

Darkbeer1

>>Disneyland still has plenty of kinks to work out and some rust to knock off its operational gears after a yearlong coronavirus closure as the Anaheim theme park uses its new food festival as a rehearsal run for a full return in late April.

The launch of A Touch of Disney last week at Disney California Adventure was plagued by problems as visitors faced long waits to park, enter the front gate, place mobile orders and pick up food during the new festival, according to Disney fan websites.

“It was surprising to see Disney fumble crowd control for the opening of A Touch of Disney,” wrote MousePlanet’s Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

Disneyland teams have been working hard since day one to enhance the sold out A Touch of Disney and have made operation modifications to create a more seamless guest experience, according to Disney officials.<<

>>Robert Niles said it took 35 minutes to get through the parking toll booths and park in a physically distanced spot. Disneyland’s parking lot crews used orange cones to block every other space.

After passing through COVID-19 temperature screenings and security checkpoints, visitors then had to walk the length of the parking lot tram route toward the DCA front gate. Trams will remain out of service during A Touch of Disney due to social distancing concerns.<<

>>Social distancing mandates requiring six feet of separation between parties meant the artificially long line to reach the DCA front gate on A Touch of Disney’s opening day zig-zagged through the closed ticket kiosk queues and stretched to the tram route, according to Theme Park Insider.

It took 45 minutes for Theme Park Insider’s Niles to navigate the entry queue.

A series of steps slowed the front gate entry process — with ticket takers required to scan visitors’ event tickets, take their photo, scan their dining voucher and issue a dining card, according to MousePlanet’s Vincent-Phoenix.<<

>>Disneyland pushed visitors to use their $25 dining cards to place mobile orders for food — but the work-in-progress system was clunky.

Using the dining card was more difficult than it should have been — with visitors required to type a tiny 16-digit account number on the back of the card into the Disneyland app every time they placed an order.

MiceChat’s Castro called the confusing problem a “glaring oversight” — especially for a food event based around using the dining card.

“Hopefully Disney is able to fix this issue quickly,” Castro wrote for MiceChat. “Surely, an easier way to figure out how to add the gift card as a payment option and the ability to store the gift card as an in-app payment option would save guests time and help Disney accomplish their goal of encouraging mobile ordering.”

Those who couldn’t figure out how to load their dining cards onto the Disneyland app or who simply didn’t want to bother opted instead to wait at a pair of marketplace kiosk cashier stations — which had some of the longest lines of the event on opening day.<<

>>Mobile food orders took 60 to 90 minutes to be fulfilled on A Touch of Disney’s opening day, according to SFGate’s Julie Tremaine.

“The lines for the food were long,” Tremaine wrote for SFGate. “It took me hours to use my $25 food voucher included with admission, simply because my options were to stand in line for an hour to order, or use the mobile ordering Disneyland is trying to push as a contactless option, which was offering an even longer wait for pickup than the line was.”<<

BayouShack

I’ve always advocated for reducing the reliance on trans, for environmental reasons. Would prefer them to build moving sidewalks and run shuttles for those who need them.

But given that’s not happening, I don’t really understand the logic in not running the trams. If capacity is reduced to below 50%, and indoor rides are running, then there should be more than enough room in the trams for the amount of guests they’re expecting.

PiratesMansion

I’ve always advocated for reducing the reliance on trans, for environmental reasons. Would prefer them to build moving sidewalks and run shuttles for those who need them.

But given that’s not happening, I don’t really understand the logic in not running the trams. If capacity is reduced to below 50%, and indoor rides are running, then there should be more than enough room in the trams for the amount of guests they’re expecting.
It's got to be cost reasons. It's more than possible to distance on trams through a combination of spacing and/or plexiglass, solutions already in place in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom