Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Rose&Crown

I’d guess the races themselves don’t generate profit with all the logistics and manpower it takes to put on. What they’re banking on is the merch (which is always more expensive than typical Disney stuff) food and drinks, hotels, tickets....etc. So maybe hard to quantify a true “profit or loss” because it’s impact can be felt in so many different places.

OG Runner

I’d guess the races themselves don’t generate profit with all the logistics and manpower it takes to put on. What they’re banking on is the merch (which is always more expensive than typical Disney stuff) food and drinks, hotels, tickets....etc. So maybe hard to quantify a true “profit or loss” because it’s impact can be felt in so many different places.
I am sorry but I ran a local road race, (obviously not as big as Disney), but with proper planning we always made a profit, and a pretty good one. It was a charitable road race and we presented all of the profit to the charity.

dreamfinder

I'd suspect that the race itself is at least revenue neutral, if not turning a profit. A vast amount of the people you see are (were? can't recall the end state for the FL races after the kerfluffle in CA)volunteers. Most of the check in, corrals, and water/snacks on course is volunteer. Sure there are costs involved with the porta potty rentals, cones, AV setup, but the get to leverage some of that across multiple events. Now the merch sales may be what turns runDisney into net positive, but from what I hear about the structure of individual cost centers, they can't count on other dept's turning a profit while they lose money.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'd suspect that the race itself is at least revenue neutral, if not turning a profit. A vast amount of the people you see are (were? can't recall the end state for the FL races after the kerfluffle in CA)volunteers. Most of the check in, corrals, and water/snacks on course is volunteer. Sure there are costs involved with the porta potty rentals, cones, AV setup, but the get to leverage some of that across multiple events. Now the merch sales may be what turns runDisney into net positive, but from what I hear about the structure of individual cost centers, they can't count on other dept's turning a profit while they lose money.

Florida still allows volunteers.

OG Runner

Just a few other things to throw into the discussion, of the races on property. First they are on property and need less police or security
for the roads. Some of the runs are actually off the roads, through the parks, so no additional safety services are needed. Many of the volunteers also come from the sponsors. There are reasons you get Powerade at the hydration stations and not Gatorade. Then look at
the race fees. I ran a half marathon in December of 2019, the race fee was $75.00, I got a long sleeve shirt and a medal, as well as drink
stations and food after the race. I paid roughly $190.00 for the 2020 Disney Marathon. You can definitely make a profit, just from the race with the proper planning.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Yeah, W&D isn't going to happen this year.
I’m beginning to agree with you, particularly since it’s pretty clear they aren’t even motivated enough to do a summer virtual series right now, I can’t imagine they are close to beginning to plan anything onsite, which they would really need to be laying out now if there were plans to have a 2021 W&D race. My fingers are still crossed for 2022 marathon weekend though!

Surferboy567

If Star Wars goes virtual...and they follow the same timeframe as princess we would know on November 17th.

We were told about virtual Princess 149 days in advance. Assuming the same timeframe is applied here.

For the record, we were also told about a virtual Wine & Dine 106 days in advance. If they followed this timeframe for Star Wars we would know on December 30th.

EDIT: Funny enough we were also told 106 days in advance for a virtual marathon weekend.

I wanted to update my metrics on when they have been telling us about these virtual events with Star Wars.

They told us that Star Wars was going virtual on December 11th of last year. That is 125 days in advance of the actual date.

If they followed what they have been doing recently, they wouldn’t tell us about Wine and Dine until June 9th. Which is 149 days before the event (assuming Wine and Dine keeps it’s same date as last year it likely won’t but will be close).

I do however, think we will get some kind of announcement soon on something. The virtual series is still up in the air as is the future of live events as well. We don’t even know what one of the races will be themed to next year.

The metrics above probably don’t mean much since those were races they had already been scheduled and then turned into virtuals. These will be entirely new events being virtuals from the get-go or could be even live events which have a different time table entirely.

Rteetz

If they followed what they have been doing recently, they wouldn’t tell us about Wine and Dine until June 9th. Which is 149 days before the event (assuming Wine and Dine keeps it’s same date as last year it likely won’t but will be close).
Every other race had in person registrants. We currently have no info on the future. I like you expect something sooner than later. I don't expect registration for any events quickly but possibly an outline of what if anything is to come.

Surferboy567

Every other race had in person registrants. We currently have no info on the future. I like you expect something sooner than later. I don't expect registration for any events quickly but possibly an outline of what if anything is to come.
I feel like an outline is probably likely. That is also why I said this at the end.
The metrics above probably don’t mean much since those were races they had already been scheduled and then turned into virtuals. These will be entirely new events being virtuals from the get-go or could be even live events which have a different time table entirely.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I feel like an outline is probably likely. That is also why I said this at the end.
Rundisney posted on social media today, along with the link for their training plans:
"All you need is faith, trust... and a training plan! Get started on your #runDisney journey with simple yet effective training programs from Olympian and our official trainer Jeff Galloway."

Why give out training plans if they aren't going to have any more races?

Surferboy567

Rundisney posted on social media today, along with the link for their training plans:
"All you need is faith, trust... and a training plan! Get started on your #runDisney journey with simple yet effective training programs from Olympian and our official trainer Jeff Galloway."

Why give out training plans if they aren't going to have any more races?
I was going to post this, you beat me to the punch. Same exact wording I was going to use as well.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I was going to post this, you beat me to the punch. Same exact wording I was going to use as well.
It's like they were telling everybody to be prepared for Marathon Weekend... Sure they shared the half marathon plan, which one could use for W&D half, but really... Why share a training plan if the races are going away. It's just a matter of time.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I just got an email to run for a charity group in the Philly Marathon/ half Marathon Weekend on Nov 19-21, 2021. In person race!!!
(They do say that more info regarding the races will come and subject to change... Which they could cancel it at a later time.)

But I wanted to share, as I still have hope we'll hear something soon about W&D... Maybe after the virtual series sign-up?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I just got an email to run for a charity group in the Philly Marathon/ half Marathon Weekend on Nov 19-21, 2021. In person race!!!
(They do say that more info regarding the races will come and subject to change... Which they could cancel it at a later time.)

But I wanted to share, as I still have hope we'll hear something soon about W&D... Maybe after the virtual series sign-up?

Speaking of Philly- what's the course like for the half? I keep debating on the Rocky Run but maybe the Philly half (especially in November) may be a good idea for 2022

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Speaking of Philly- what's the course like for the half? I keep debating on the Rocky Run but maybe the Philly half (especially in November) may be a good idea for 2022
It's a fast & cool course, I'm gonna run it again (maybe 2022 too).
It's mostly flat, there is a long incline that's over a couple miles that by the top of it I was feeling it.
Lots of crowd support and cheers! The finish is awesome and brought tears to my eyes.

Surferboy567

To put some dates out: I wanted to make this post.

Since Disney uses Galloway’s training plan (like I personally do) usually the give more then enough time to train in preparation for races.

19 weeks for Challenge training (Half & 10K)
29 weeks for Dopey

If Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend keep similar dates this is what we are looking for in terms of timeframe.

June 25th announcement for Wine & Dine (though it probably has to be sooner for registration and making plans)

June 17th announcement for Marathon Weekend (though it probably has to be sooner for registration and making plans)

These dates tell me a few things. At the earliest, expect a large scale announcement from them. This likely will include both the status of Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend given the proximity between the two dates. I would also expect they would have to release a calendar sometime soon, since now we don’t know anything beyond the virtual series. I would also expect to see some kind of announcement on what the new Star Wars retheme is going to be along with the calendar announcement.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
To put some dates out: I wanted to make this post.

Since Disney uses Galloway’s training plan (like I personally do) usually the give more then enough time to train in preparation for races.

19 weeks for Challenge training (Half & 10K)
29 weeks for Dopey

If Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend keep similar dates this is what we are looking for in terms of timeframe.

June 25th announcement for Wine & Dine (though it probably has to be sooner for registration and making plans)

June 17th announcement for Marathon Weekend (though it probably has to be sooner for registration and making plans)

These dates tell me a few things. At the earliest, expect a large scale announcement from them. This likely will include both the status of Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend given the proximity between the two dates. I would also expect they would have to release a calendar sometime soon, since now we don’t know anything beyond the virtual series. I would also expect to see some kind of announcement on what the new Star Wars retheme is going to be along with the calendar announcement.
I thought the same thing when I saw them post the training programs before they announced the Summer Virtual series dates. If you look at the 5k training program they provide, they gave everyone who signed up enough time to train for the 1st June race.

I agree with ya that if they are going to have something for W&D and Marathon races, rD will announce it before mid June in order to give all the runners enough time to train properly to their training program.

Maybe after everyone gets their Star Wars metals and post them online will they RD share the next race dates with everyone... Gotta keep everyone excited and looking forward to whats next.

I honestly must be the only one who doesn’t think that wine & dine is happening this year. I read somewhere else that run Disney had to let a lot people go so that’s why there’s no races this year. Cases are still to high in Florida.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I honestly must be the only one who doesn’t think that wine & dine is happening this year. I read somewhere else that run Disney had to let a lot people go so that’s why there’s no races this year. Cases are still to high in Florida.

Predictions:

Ideally:
Wine/dine - virtual only
Marathon - limited in-person + virtual
Princess - limited in-person + virtual
New theme weekend - limited in-person + virtual

OR (most likely):
Wine/dine, marathon, princess - all virtual only
New April Star Wars replacement theme - full on in-person + virtual

Covid numbers are still too high right now and with no international travel (yet). I just don't see Disney doing an in-person race anytime soon and I don't think Disney will announce anything regarding in-person running until they're certain. I'm sure they don't want to go through and refund everyone again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom