Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Agreed, good bump.

I still think this has a decently sized chance of this being a virtual race. Who really knows though?

If by July/August, 75 to 80 percent of the adult US population is fully vaccinated, there should be no reason to not be hopeful for an on-property race in November.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
The Team Leader also stated that the Wine and Dine Race Series is always the start of the new year for the RD race series and suggested that RD would be announcing dates for future races along with their decision to this race (I think we all know that).

LAKid53

Premium Member
The Team Leader also stated that the Wine and Dine Race Series is always the start of the new year for the RD race series and suggested that RD would be announcing dates for future races along with their decision to this race (I think we all know that).

If I remember, the calendar is published in early Spring.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
If by July/August, 75 to 80 percent of the adult US population is fully vaccinated, there should be no reason to not be hopeful for an on-property race in November.
I would feel much safer running in a race after being vaccinated than right now and pulling up my neck guard every time I pass someone on a run outside. I'm hopeful too that this becomes in person.

Surferboy567

I think my main concern is a couple of things.

1.) Will they require proof of vaccination? This may cause controversy even though it’s a important step.

2.) How will they handle masks?

3.) How can they handle race corals?

4.) Do they really want to set up an event that could be seen as a super spreader? (Even though it might not be).

I don’t know how they would tackle these challenges which leads me to guess it could be virtual. It could also be in person but everything is so up in the air right now.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member

1.) Will they require proof of vaccination? This may cause controversy even though it’s a important step.

4.) Do they really want to set up an even that could be seen as a super spreader? (Even though it may not be).

I don’t know how they would tackle these challenges which leads me to guess it could be virtual. It could also be in person but everything is so up in the air right now.
All that is why I think they're waiting to announce anything. I've seen a couple spring non-RD races move to fall, that maybe hopeful on their end.

LAKid53

Premium Member

4.) Do they really want to set up an event that could be seen as a super spreader? (Even though it might not be).

It's all going to depend on the numbers. If on-property, we might see reduced bibs. And possibly proof of vaccination or negative test at Expo check-in. Along with temperature scan when entering corral, as now happens when entering a park or Disney Springs.

If Boston stays on target for October, hopefully W&D can be in person.

Rose&Crown

Would absolutely love for wine and dine to happen just don’t see how they’ll manage it unless this vaccine roll out speeds up and plenty of people are signing up.

maybe they require vaccines to participate? Maybe only for US citizens? Feel like they might just go virtual and tackle this in 22

Surferboy567

Would absolutely love for wine and dine to happen just don’t see how they’ll manage it unless this vaccine roll out speeds up and plenty of people are signing up.

maybe they require vaccines to participate? Maybe only for US citizens? Feel like they might just go virtual and tackle this in 22
Exactly what I am thinking right now. So many hoops to jump though.

LAKid53

Premium Member

If I oversaw rD, I'd be watching what the BAA is doing to have the 2021 Marathon IRL in October. I'd also limit W&D bibs to 50% of previous years and perhaps go with only one race in 2021...and make it nightime.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
If I oversaw rD, I'd be watching what the BAA is doing to have the 2021 Marathon IRL in October. I'd also limit W&D bibs to 50% of previous years and perhaps go with only one race in 2021...and make it nightime.
They use to have night time races... Which having an open start time for people to race would allow more people to run over night and into the morning.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They use to have night time races... Which having an open start time for people to race would allow more people to run over night and into the morning.

Why do you think I suggested moving the W&D Half back to an evening race? 😉

Limit registrations to 5000, with priority given to those who participated in the last on-property race in 2019. Over 18 only (that's the minimum for vaccination). ALL parks would close at 8:00 PM that Saturday. Race starts at 10:00 PM. Increase the minimum pacing requirement. In other words, make the 2021 W&D Half a test to see if/how to bring back on-property races for 2022. Otherwise, runDisney won't survive.

Rteetz

Isn't the normal around 30K? I believe, though, they also are allowing a virtual component.
Yes 2019 had about 30,000. Virtual component will allow up to 70,000 runners. Registration for Boston in person will be in April. I expect mostly qualifiers in and maybe some charity groups. They'll cut out international travel groups most likely.

NYC was looking at a 30,000 person field last they said in a NYT article. NYC is normally 50,000+.

Figment82

I’ve already received my first dose - I’m anxiously waiting to get back to in-person events again!

I can’t see them requiring proof of vaccination. With it being an optional thing as it is, too many people will throw out reasons why they don’t want to receive it. Plus the little card you’re given is far too easy to fake. I think temp checks would be as far as they could go - maybe proof of a negative test like some states require. But that’s putting a lot of pressure on the volunteers.

I’m definitely all-in for W&D, but I realize this is an incredibly tough decision for rD. A “darned if you do, darned if you don’t” situation. For the first few events, I could see them doing a split event like other races are offering - a tandem virtual/live race - so you could still participate at home if you don’t feel comfortable traveling and running near others.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes 2019 had about 30,000. Virtual component will allow up to 70,000 runners. Registration for Boston in person will be in April. I expect mostly qualifiers in and maybe some charity groups. They'll cut out international travel groups most likely.

NYC was looking at a 30,000 person field last they said in a NYT article. NYC is normally 50,000+.

Do you know if there are any congested areas, other than start and finish, for Boston? Doesn't a good part of the course go through Boston neighborhoods?

I'm thinking for rD, the issue, other than starting corrals/finish line, will be the walkway from DHS to Boardwalk - I would NOT be disappointed if that route was cut permanently, lol - and the lovely backstage run through the dumpsters into World Showcase and other spots in Epcot.

Rose&Crown

Boston having people is a good sign but as we all know as Disney fans they’ve taken a very slow cautious approach to this pandemic. My guess would still be a virtual event.

Rteetz

Do you know if there are any congested areas, other than start and finish, for Boston? Doesn't a good part of the course go through Boston neighborhoods?

I'm thinking for rD, the issue, other than starting corrals/finish line, will be the walkway from DHS to Boardwalk - I would NOT be disappointed if that route was cut permanently, lol - and the lovely backstage run through the dumpsters into World Showcase and other spots in Epcot.
I can't comment specifically as I have never done Boston. Wherever there are pinch points they may be looking at ways to change or expand those. I would assume they are also looking at changes to corralling/start.

As for runDisney if they change courses yes I would 100% expect more roadways which to me is not good. More roads means less time in parks which is the big reason we do these races.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom