Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

MoonRakerSCM

Since the majority of the working world is not dependent on the sun that point is moot.
Say that to construction or outside jobs that can't start until they can see with sunlight. My field days are reliant on sunlight and any field days wouldn't be able to start until 8am vs. 7am. Means I'll be getting home an hour later than before, so the extra hour of sunlight does't mean anything to me. That's not much mootness to me.

Also, concerning schools, since we're in LA, and not Alaska... How much news coverage do you think there'd be on the first kid to get killed by a car while walking to school in the dark in the city?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Say that to construction or outside jobs that can't start until they can see with sunlight. My field days are reliant on sunlight and any field days wouldn't be able to start until 8am vs. 7am. Means I'll be getting home an hour later than before, so the extra hour of sunlight does't mean anything to me. That's not much mootness to me.
I guess all those construction and "outside jobs" that I see working around the clock with site lights in the middle of the night are just a dream.

Also, concerning schools, since we're in LA, and not Alaska... How much news coverage do you think there'd be on the first kid to get killed by a car while walking to school in the dark in the city?
Well I'm not in LA, so speak for yourself. As for your scenario that would indicate more street lighting is needed then wouldn't it.

Look I get you're passionate about this topic because it appears to affect you personally. However that doesn't mean the rest of the world that is already moving on from the twice yearly clock changes are wrong. It going to happen here as well and we as a country are going to have to get used to it.

Remember DST and the twice yearly time change hasn't always been a thing in this country. Its only been around since 1918 and really only uniformly in practice since 1966. So we have generations of workers and kids in this country that survived for well over a hundred years without the twice yearly time change. And we'll learn to survive again without the twice yearly time change.

MoonRakerSCM

I guess all those construction and "outside jobs" that I see working around the clock with site lights in the middle of the night are just a dream.
Why do you think they're just a dream? Many jobs do operate in the middle of the night and workers do switch over to graveyard shift and lighting setups are rented/brought in to do so. I've done them, and in fact will be doing one on Rodeo drive soon where due to city requirements, we can only shut down the road from 9pm to 5am. Most jobs though operate during the day and rely on sunlight. Any of our daytime jobs whether it's a investigative drilling job, fault trenching, all construction site CQA/excavation jobs would not set up lighting for an early start in the morning. They would only have that setup if they were operating 24/7 to meet a deadline, which is very, very expensive.

Curious Constance

Also having your kid walk to school in the dark is scary af. Schools seem to be a lot poorer now than when I was a kid, and after elementary school we don’t have bus transportation here unless you live pretty far out. We live about a mile from the middle and high schools that my kids go to. Another change from when I was a kid is the increase in homelessness and who you run into when out walking. My kids would have no choice but to go through areas where they would have to literally walk around people laying on sidewalks. And they start to school AFTER I am at work. So I can’t even just easily drive them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why do you think they're just a dream? Many jobs do operate in the middle of the night and workers do switch over to graveyard shift and lighting setups are rented/brought in to do so. I've done them, and in fact will be doing one on Rodeo drive soon where due to city requirements, we can only shut down the road from 9pm to 5am. Most jobs though operate during the day and rely on sunlight. Any of our daytime jobs whether it's a investigative drilling job, fault trenching, all construction site CQA/excavation jobs would not set up lighting for an early start in the morning. They would only have that setup if they were operating 24/7 to meet a deadline, which is very, very expensive.
My point was that construction and other "outside jobs" can and do operate when its dark out. Its very common, and would not be hampered by the switch to permanent DST.

Anyways I think we've debated this long enough. I get it you're not a fan of the switch to permanent DST or ST or any switch in the current twice yearly time change at all. We're not going to change each others minds here. However I will say that the bill is likely to pass and the law will change. So its something that many including yourself are going to have to get used to, and I'm sure you'll find a way to survive.

MoonRakerSCM

Yup. As you've said, most people will not be hampered... so people are showing their privilege by forcing it upon others that will be.

I guess what I'm getting at at the core is that I'm fascinated with the social media hive mind pushing people to go off about the time change and preach the negatives without even thinking it through. Hey though, it's hip and cool to hate spring forward for this list of reasons everyone shares on the internet. Back when we in CA voted on DST, not once did I ever see a graph explaining how a change one way or the other would affect people's days. All that matters is "DST bad". I garuntee you if you'd ask 100 people across the country, they'd all say "It's good they're ending DST" when in fact what is being worked on is to have us on DST. They don't know anything about what it is, just that they want it changed (for reasons social media has made popular).

Parteecia

My ex worked in construction. In summer they would move their shifts earlier to avoid the afternoon heat. Why can't companies affected by daylight do the same thing?

Also, I am very old but I remember it getting dark as I was walking home from school. One end of the day or the other, it's going to be dark.

George Lucas on a Bench

On my commute home, I saw that Garbagewalk is buzzing and Fleming's is open

20210313_194456.jpg
20210313_194503.jpg

milordsloth

I'm visiting friends in Sacramento this weekend and today we went to the Scandia Family Fun Center for some mini golf and I was hoping to ride the small roller coaster. The place was packed! The roller coaster was running but the line was crazy. That was by far the most crowded place I've been in the past year. We decided the lines were too long for everything and went to get beers at a nearby bar.

It was just so nice to see actually see a roller coaster running in California!

MoonRakerSCM

My ex worked in construction. In summer they would move their shifts earlier to avoid the afternoon heat. Why can't companies affected by daylight do the same thing?
They will, that's what I'm saying. Instead of starting at 7a in the winter, they'll start at 8a due to the daylight shift. So the extra hour of daylight at the end of the day will not make a difference to them as they'll be starting later. What will change though is those who rely on that extra amount of time before places that close hard at 5p will now have less time in their work day to make it to those places. When you're free by 3:30p on a weekday, there are several things you can get done around the world before standard COB at most places.

As you mentioned it's even better in the summer as most construction will start at 6a and be done by 2:30p.

Darkbeer1

Darkbeer1

Some photos from STC Anaheim GardenWalk.

20210313_190457-XL.jpg

20210313_190518-XL.jpg

20210313_194238-XL.jpg

20210313_194337-XL.jpg

20210313_194437-XL.jpg

20210313_201909-XL.jpg

20210313_202404-XL.jpg

Some videos of the massive traffic mess an be found here.

Emmanuel

Sun would not rise until 8:23a at the latest during winter if we're on permanent DST. Support plummeted during experiments during the 70's when people realized their kids were going to school in the dark during winter.

There are both pros and cons to the debate, but social media has exacerbated the cons in more recent years as it is popular to dwell upon the negatives and blow them out of proportion.

Screw permanent DST then. I’ve been in the camp that says get rid of DST

20210313_190457-XL.jpg

20210313_190518-XL.jpg

20210313_194238-XL.jpg

20210313_194337-XL.jpg

20210313_194437-XL.jpg

20210313_201909-XL.jpg

20210313_202404-XL.jpg

Harbor Blvd traffic has returned. Nature is healing.

J2B

I have always wanted to have dinner in that revolving restaurant at the top of the Tower of the Americas! I didn't go to that World's Fair, but somehow I feel emotionally connected to that Brutalist tower. I had no idea there was a Charthouse up there. I love their salad bar in Dana Point or Del Mar because it has caviar and Carr's water crackers, and their prime rib can't be beat. I imagine a Charthouse in Texas has excellent prime rib!

I bet. It appears that Orange County will re-enter the Red Tier two weeks from next Tuesday (seriously). That means indoor dining will be legal again for all the corporate restaurants in Downtown Disney and elsewhere.

I had to drive down to San Diego unexpectedly today, and I stopped for lunch in Carlsbad. There were several restaurants on the main drag of that beach town that had signs that said "Indoor Dining Available". That's not that unusual anymore in the suburbs, as many of the non-corporate restaurants told Sacramento to shove it months ago.

But I was surprised to see three Marine Corps junior officers in uniform seated in a booth near me for lunch. Apparently not even the Camp Pendleton commanding General cares if his devil dogs eat indoors off base, flipping a subtle bird to Governor Newsom and his ilk. 🤣

Semper Fi, my brothers. :cool:
Our Chart House here in Cardiff does not have a salad bar. In fact I think all of the CH salad bars have been removed. :( The Chart House in Dana Point has amazing views of the harbor and if you hurry, you'll see a whale or two on their migration to the warm coastal lagoons of Baja, Mexico!!!

J2B

20210313_190457-XL.jpg

20210313_190518-XL.jpg

20210313_194238-XL.jpg

20210313_194337-XL.jpg

20210313_194437-XL.jpg

20210313_201909-XL.jpg

20210313_202404-XL.jpg

I want that shirt!!!

mickEblu

In other news related to this thread, OC is now down to 4 new cases per 100k for its 7 day average. Which puts OC right on the cusp of moving to Orange Tier. So its very very possible for OC to be in Orange Tier in the next couple weeks, especially by the time DLR gets ready to reopen.

California has a new site that shows the current stats, including the 7 day average of case rates:

BTW, LA County is at 5 new cases per 100k for its 7 day average. So it too is right on the cusp of moving to Orange Tier.

So looks like Disneyland will be starting with at least 25% capacity. Which they may or may not have been waiting for anyway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So looks like Disneyland will be starting with at least 25% capacity. Which they may or may not have been waiting for anyway.
Yep, and I expect based on current trends that OC will hit Yellow Tier by May. Which maybe the time when major discussions of removing the color tier all together start to happen by Newsom. As that will be when the rest of Californians who hadn’t been eligible for vaccination will become eligible. I mean he’s already started to talk about it now that more vaccinations are happening daily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom