DAS pass & fishy things going on?

xenshady

Original Poster
So my family has been DVC members for 15+ years. This year was the first year we have came without fast passes. Admittedly, I really enjoyed ROTR and the virtual queue, and I think they should continue with that moving forward.

Has anyone else realized that people are using the DAS system and abusing it? I watched four girls in tutu's breeze through a ride line today, and I understand that some people have nonvisible disabilities and I'm all for these people having them, but it seems others are abusing it. Has anyone seen this happen or has anyone done this? I think its wrong and I noticed it multiple times today. Meanwhile in TSM, a blind woman next to me and a nicer lady who had a son in a wheelchair both waited the full 60+ minute wait times.

Its leading me to think that something fishy is going on, such as maybe some stuff behind the scenes or some known connections. Who knows. But, I was just ncurious if anyone else has experienced this/ your thoughts on it.

lazyboy97o

I watched four girls in tutu's breeze through a ride line today, and I understand that some people have nonvisible disabilities and I'm all for these people having them, but it seems others are abusing it. Has anyone seen this happen or has anyone done this? I think its wrong and I noticed it multiple times today.
Do some people abuse the system? Absolutely. Can you tell just by looking at someone? No.
Meanwhile in TSM, a blind woman next to me and a nicer lady who had a son in a wheelchair both waited the full 60+ minute wait times.
Why do you assume these persons would have difficultly waiting? The purpose is not to provide a perk to people with a disability but to provide access to people who have difficulties waiting. All new attractions are built to the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, the EPCOT Accessibility Code and Disney‘s own inclusion standards so the queues can accommodate persons with visual impairments and wheelchair users.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

1615523394166.png

xenshady

Original Poster
Do some people abuse the system? Absolutely. Can you tell just by looking at someone? No.

Why do you assume these persons would have difficultly waiting? The purpose is not to provide a perk to people with a disability but to provide access to people who have difficulties waiting. All new attractions are built to the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, the EPCOT Accessibility Code and Disney‘s own inclusion standards so the queues can accommodate persons with visual impairments and wheelchair users.
I didnt assume that they would have difficulty waiting. It's the fact that I'm seeing people abusing the system that no one is talking about. I watched a CM beep through a group of 15 through the disability line and I'm going to take a good guess they didn't do 15 rider swaps. I was using the fact that Disney should be doing more to enforce rules because it's unfair to those who actually are waiting 90 minutes for a ride.

lazyboy97o

I didnt assume that they would have difficulty waiting. It's the fact that I'm seeing people abusing the system that no one is talking about. I watched a CM beep through a group of 15 through the disability line and I'm going to take a good guess they didn't do 15 rider swaps. I was using the fact that Disney should be doing more to enforce rules because it's unfair to those who actually are waiting 90 minutes for a ride.
You did assume they would have difficulty waiting otherwise there is no point in mentioning them.

You don’t know if you are seeing people abusing the system. You are assuming you are based on very little knowledge. People talk about the system being abused all of the time.

DAS is not a front of the line program. People are still waiting, just not in the physical queue.

xenshady

Original Poster
You did assume they would have difficulty waiting otherwise there is no point in mentioning them.

You don’t know if you are seeing people abusing the system. You are assuming you are based on very little knowledge. People talk about the system being abused all of the time.

DAS is not a front of the line program. People are still waiting, just not in the physical queue.
Then what are your thoughts on them saying being in a wheelchair doesn't require a DAS, but anxiety does?

lazyboy97o

Then what are your thoughts on them saying being in a wheelchair doesn't require a DAS, but anxiety does?
I already explained that to you. Most queues are able to accommodate a wheelchair. Just because a person uses a wheelchair does not mean they have trouble waiting.

There are people with genuine anxiety disorders. It’s not something you can tell by watching for a moment.

Figgy1

Premium Member
The people in question are waiting the same amount of time. They just wait in different places. Would you really like to be on line when somebody with autism has a meltdown or somebody with another medical condition has an issue in line. As others have said it's not a front of the line pass. You have to have a member of your party obtain one and they wait else where for the amount of time they would be standing on line. What you saw also could have been a use of a fp given as compensation for something going wrong on the trip.

nickys

Premium Member
So my family has been DVC members for 15+ years. This year was the first year we have came without fast passes. Admittedly, I really enjoyed ROTR and the virtual queue, and I think they should continue with that moving forward.

Has anyone else realized that people are using the DAS system and abusing it? I watched four girls in tutu's breeze through a ride line today, and I understand that some people have nonvisible disabilities and I'm all for these people having them, but it seems others are abusing it. Has anyone seen this happen or has anyone done this? I think its wrong and I noticed it multiple times today. Meanwhile in TSM, a blind woman next to me and a nicer lady who had a son in a wheelchair both waited the full 60+ minute wait times.

Its leading me to think that something fishy is going on, such as maybe some stuff behind the scenes or some known connections. Who knows. But, I was just ncurious if anyone else has experienced this/ your thoughts on it.
The FP line is also being used for rider swap, VIP tours (and the guide would not be riding with them), Club 33 members, Golden Oak residents and other “guest recovery” FPs.

So rider swap is unlikely, but the girls could easily be in any of those other categories.

Hcalvert

For my last two trips, I have used DAS and I just turned 40. I have gotten a lot of stares and downright rude people telling me off. I waited the full queue time to ride. I have a physical impairment, but it may or may not be apparent to everyone since at times it is worse than other times. I know my accommodations to allow for equal access and I advocate for myself (i.e. sitting in the front of the ride vehicle for RnR instead of behind). I figured that out after I aggravated my knees and fell outside the ride two trips ago. I get accommodations at my job after showing medical proof of my impairment. I have no problem with Disney asking for medical proof and that would stop a lot of the so-called abusers of the system. DAS has to be setup at customer service and it could be shown privately then. I think it is only a matter of time this happens. Also, like others said, the FP line is used for other purposes too.

Goofyernmost

For my last two trips, I have used DAS and I just turned 40. I have gotten a lot of stares and downright rude people telling me off. I waited the full queue time to ride. I have a physical impairment, but it may or may not be apparent to everyone since at times it is worse than other times. I know my accommodations to allow for equal access and I advocate for myself (i.e. sitting in the front of the ride vehicle for RnR instead of behind). I figured that out after I aggravated my knees and fell outside the ride two trips ago. I get accommodations at my job after showing medical proof of my impairment. I have no problem with Disney asking for medical proof and that would stop a lot of the so-called abusers of the system. DAS has to be setup at customer service and it could be shown privately then. I think it is only a matter of time this happens. Also, like others said, the FP line is used for other purposes too.
The problem with that requirement of proof is that like most other things that don't work completely fool proof, is a government directive, not Disney's. It is the people that are basically dishonest that abuse the system and they will be dishonest no matter how many requirements are displayed. So Disney plays the odds that MOST people are honest and that the few that lack in any moral compass will not be a huge problem. My observations are that DAS is not routinely abused. It is widely known that people with legitimate problems have no problem or shame in showing people proof, it is the scammers that object. The concept of not asking people what problem they have is because the people that make the rules think that people should be embarrassed by admitting a problem. The exact opposite is true. Having suspicious, judgmental people implying that they are "cheating" is what is embarrassing.

JIMINYCR

Yes Disney is aware that the DAS program is still being abused. They can only set up their policies the way federal guidelines permit them to. Dishonest, unscrupulous, self serving people will always find a way to game the system. DW and our family members and those with us gets to qualify for the use of the DAS. We get comments at times about how lucky we are to use DAS as if its something thats a trade off for her disability. DW, who is in a w/c and on a vent 24/7, always says she wishes people had to spend a day in her place and see how difficult life is and then say its an equal trade off.

Minnesota disney fan

I think the OP believes that you can get DAS with a mobility problem, since she mentioned the guest in a wheelchair.
That's a common misconception. If you have mobility issues, such as I do and my husband does, then you can use a wheelchair or a scooter. That problem is fixable and you do not need DAS. If you unable to wait in line due to certain mobility issues, then this is the answer, not DAS.

ppete1975

Its like service animals. Do some people take advantage of it? yes Can i tell who really needs a service animal and who doesnt? No.

But since you brought it up, does disney require a drs note when getting one? I was thinking when my friend got one at six flags that we had to show something. I might be wrong though.

ppete1975

To make another comparison to service animals. A person can look completely normal but have a problem with seizures, the dogs are trained to wedge themselves under their owners head to act as a pillow to prevent injury to the person. If you saw this person and their dog youd thing ... they are fine they dont need a service animal they are just abusing the system.

Whippet Mom

They do not allow 15 people with a disability pass that's usually limited to a party of 6 or 8 they're also still waiting they get a time to come back so they're not standing physically in the line so they may go up and get a time that's an hour later and yes all disabilities are not visible to the naked eye.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom