they're cutting all the other perks so will they do this?

Goofyernmost

I think the obvious point is that nobody is forcing you to go to Disney. And if you decide to go, where you decide to stay is a matter of choice based on individual preferences. To vilify people who want to stay onsite is rediculus. It is like judging a person based on what kind of car to drive. Personally I have done both. I like the convenience of being in the bubble. If you have limited budget, the choice is to remain with the budget. It is obvious that Disney has raised the bar as to the clientele it is targeting. Disney is a choice for a vacation. It is not a right.
So I guess you are saying that they don't want me there, because I am not willing to be robbed? I don't think that I could make any clearer that I don't care if you spend all YOUR money and all you children's and grandchildren's inheritance to stay in the bubble. What I am saying is that I won't do it and the reasons why. If my reasons make you feel like you are being vilified then by all means do your best to silence those of us with a different opinion. It is your money and your right to spend it where you want. Somebody has to finance the obscene bonus structure for the big Disney bosses. That can be you, that will not be me and I will continue to tour WDW in the manner that I have over the last 38 years.

The highlighted sentence you wrote is absolutely correct. The whole thing boils down to the comparison of the car you mentioned. I can buy a VW for $25000 and you can buy a Rolls Royce for $180,000. Both of us can leave from the same spot and get to the same destination, but one of us will have spent a lot more cash to get there. Personally, if I don't find the value I don't spend that much. You on the other hand feel it is worth it. That is fine, but it doesn't mean that I can't tell you that I prefer the VW and why. If you are secure with your choice you should have no problem with my doing that. If I spent my life worrying about the things the public does that I think are crazy, I wouldn't have any time for anything else and they would have to put me into a padded room. I don't judge others for doing that, but I have to admit that I don't understand the reasoning, but why should I? You probably don't understand my choices when I can afford to do what you do, but choose not too. And that, my friend, is called a discussion with more then one opinion. I was not expecting you to respond by saying... "gee, I'm so glad you posted because you have made me see the errors of my ways and from now on, its Motel 6 all the way".

There seems to be a lot of threads trying to 'forecast" what Disney is going to do along with railing against the price of staying on site.
So I'll give my standard answer.

People who stay on site are NOT stupid, brainwashed, sheep or any of the other adjectives folks here like to assign to them. They are different and choose to spend their money the way they see fit. That's the great thing about earning it, you get to spend it on twindley winks if you so choose.

Who knows if the mouse is going to bring any thing back. who knows what anything is going to be like post pandemic. I'd settle for not having to wear a mask.

whether or not something is "worth" doing is purely personal, I thought paying 500 bucks for a theater ticket was crazy until Hamilton came along. If you don't think it's worth staying on site simply don't do it. Disney has absolutely no obligation to make the vacation affordable for everyone.
Very well said. I am none of those things and choose to say on Disney property every year for 20 years. I will wait patiently for updates and decide what is best for me and my family. Also, I will wait until masks are lifted or become optional.

Miss Bella

I concur. They must do something to lure me back or else I will be staying off site in September. I love the Contemporary Resort but I am absolutely not paying that kind of money for what they offer right now (which is nothing).
Before you decide to stay completely off site check out the swan and Dolphin. I just booked it for 152.00 a night. Since there are no conventions the rates are really low. They also have the new reflections resort opening in September and I believe they have family suites. Good luck.

Miss Bella

No worries, I don't mind the difference what I never understand is the belief that because we like to stay onsite we are somehow either "brain washed" ( your description) or heavily in debt to do so.
Never understood why it can't be as simple as " we like onsite".
All good, enjoy
I would never stay offsite. I'll go when I can get a good discount at a resort I like. It could be anything from a mod to a deluxe one bedroom villa to swan and dolphin. Whatever fits the current budget, but offsite....just no.

Miss Bella

Yes and there are many that can afford to stay onsite without making a "shambles' as you phrase it of their financial life. there are many families who sit down and make a budget and save for what they want. Sorry I reject this assumption that the only people who are staying onsite are drowning in debt or don't know how to simply budget or stupid

The reason why brain wash is not a valid description is that you are making the inference that we are not putting in conscious thought and analysis with our decision. as if some how after watching a Disney commercial people are suddenly comatose and incapable of adding and subtracting it out of a budget. how insulting and condescending

Enjoying the experience more than you IS NOT THE GOAL. that's where you lofty analysis is wrong. I'm not concerned with what you enjoy. My concern is what my family enjoys. simple things like the ability to walk home from epcot on a hot sunny summer night has value for my family. never do I plan a vacation and worry about what other people enjoy. We plan a vacation on what we enjoy and if things like waking up and be able to look at animals off my balcony is what brings us joy and value then we sit down and do the math.
Yes the ability to listen to the boats going back and forth from HS to Epcot in the morning means something to us.

my point is that what you feel like as a jail (inmate) is freedom for my family My objection is your assumption that because I see it as freedom, I am some how incapable of making a sound decision, ohh I must be under some kind of "influence".
I agree with you. It reminds of the threads on the Disney cruise line forums.... back in the olden days when there were cruises. These debates always popped up between DCL and the other cruise lines. DCL costing about twice as much. I've seen Concierge rates on DCL as high as 60k, and yes there are people that can afford that. I've seen many professional athletes on board.

The reality of it is people have different incomes. Most people book what they can afford. There is a minority that are super frugal and a minority that over extend.

katieee

so we know there's no more extra magic hours, Fastpass or free magic bands and that Magical Express is on its way out too. so what does Disney do to make paying all that money to stay on WDW property worth it?

will they drop the hammer and bring Fastpass back and only make it available to those staying on-site?

I have to admit thats a hell of a perk and that alone would probably make me and many other people decide to stay in the bubble.

you have to assume they are at least discussing it as a possibility and weighing Maxpass available to everyone (on and off-site) who wants to pay as an alternative revenue idea. I actually think if they go with Maxpass they will eliminate regular Fastpass and it would be a pay only option since it would make things simpler for everyone.
with the paid fast pass in DCL, does the DAS pass occurs fee too?

Brad Bishop

Before you decide to stay completely off site check out the swan and Dolphin. I just booked it for 152.00 a night. Since there are no conventions the rates are really low. They also have the new reflections resort opening in September and I believe they have family suites. Good luck.

FYI on S&D: You can get good rates there. The resort fees add, if I remember correctly, something like another $50/night to it.

I haven't stayed there in years because of this but as I remember it:
- ≈$20/day parking
- ≈$40/day "resort fees" which includes: WiFi, swimming pool, gym, etc. (all of the things that, to me, the room rate should cover OR I should be charged if I use them - nope, just more fees.

I stayed there twice because I was fooled once by the $150/night fee (+ resort fees + parking) and had forgotten about it a few years later when, again, I thought I had a deal.

Since then, the rest of the resort all have parking + resort fees, to my understanding so maybe it's a wash or maybe these guys have gone up even more in fees.

Either way, it annoys me that I think I'm paying $150/night for a hotel room (which, unless they have refurbished the entire property in the last few years really needs refurbishment - I remember thinking that the last time I stayed) but then once all of the fee + taxes get added you're around $250/night or more.

Dave B

One MAJOR disappointment for us was the skimming down menus at various "sit down" restaurants in the MK, for example, but yet raise the prices to where sitting at Belles Castle was a $240 bill, without the tip for a average dinner, at best -- that was a major disappointment and quite the surprise.
You knew what you were getting by choosing to go during a pandemic, this was all out there before you chose to go and spend $240

Miss Bella

FYI on S&D: You can get good rates there. The resort fees add, if I remember correctly, something like another $50/night to it.

- ≈$20/day parking
- ≈$40/day "resort fees" which includes: WiFi, swimming pool, gym, etc. (all of the things that, to me, the room rate should cover OR I should be charged if I use them - nope, just more fees.

I stayed there twice because I was fooled once by the $150/night fee (+ resort fees + parking) and had forgotten about it a few years later when, again, I thought I had a deal.

Since then, the rest of the resort all have parking + resort fees, to my understanding so maybe it's a wash or maybe these guys have gone up even more in fees.

Either way, it annoys me that I think I'm paying $150/night for a hotel room (which, unless they have refurbished the entire property in the last few years really needs refurbishment - I remember thinking that the last time I stayed) but then once all of the fee + taxes get added you're around $250/night or more.
I’m aware of the resort fee and I don’t plan on Parking a car. Would I prefer yacht club of course, but at 425 a night it’s not in the budget this trip. With resort fees and taxes I’m at 210 a night. It’s less than any of the mods and a better location.
Disney charges for parking too.

runnsally

- ≈$20/day parking

Of course hotels prefer increasing the overall cost through fees because third party booking sites only get a cut of the room rate, not the resort fee.

NelleBelle

with the paid fast pass in DCL, does the DAS pass occurs fee too?
I’m guessing you’re referring to Disneyland Resort (DLR)? DCL= Disney Cruise Line and they don’t have FP of any kind 😉
As for DLR, they have free and paid versions of FP (paid=Maxpass). And I think If they tried to charge for the DAS the ADA would likely get involved and the social media backlash would be fierce.

arich35

I fear you may be correct😕 Wouldn’t mind if there were free FP with the option of paid FP, but when has Disney ever done something that made sense in regards to parks and resorts?🤷‍♀️

I personally think fastpasses should be a perk of Resort guests. If they want to go the paid route maybe give 3 free fastpasses a day and if you want to have unlimited it is X amount each day or for your trip

aliceismad

I fear you may be correct😕 Wouldn’t mind if there were free FP with the option of paid FP, but when has Disney ever done something that made sense in regards to parks and resorts?🤷‍♀️
I think FP will be back in some form. I mean, it seems silly that they installed a FP sign for Rat if they intended to scrap it altogether. Plus a paid FP system would be another revenue stream.

NickMaio

Just don't make it like Universal.....their FP is always so expensive during the summer.
3 free and pay if you want more.

3 FP's are enough when you have ones with little feet.

Minnesota disney fan

Just don't make it like Universal.....their FP is always so expensive during the summer.
3 free and pay if you want more.

3 FP's are enough when you have ones with little feet.
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I liked how disney was before fast passes. I've experienced it before and with fast passes.
Without fast passes, everyone was on the same playing field. We all waited in line, with no extra long waits for the fp line to go first. The lines moved pretty well without fp lines.
IMO, with fp, we get our 3 allotted passes and ride them. The rest of the lines are so backed up due to fp lane , that's it's a long wait for the headliners. Most of the time we just do our 3 and that's it. I know, that's our choice. BUT I remember when things were equal and the lines moved along pretty well, just like it is now without fp's. All fp's did, IMO, was make unusually long lines everywhere else. I bet there is some form of fp that will come along, and will no longer "be free". I imagine the increasing frustration with lines now is more because of decreased park capacity and not much being open to take in the crowds.

EngineerMom

I agree as well—and by resort guests, it should be the actual disney-owned resorts. None of this Good-neighbor nonsense.
I agree 100%
They say you get perks staying at Disney then you find out they have all these "good neighbor" resorts
It doesn't seem right to me.

You stay at the more expensive Universal Hotels you get an express pass included. You can stay at other hotels and pay.
You stay at ANY of the Universal Hotels and you get into the park and hour early.
They also have "good neighbor" resorts where you can get package as well but you do NOT get either of those perks. Those perks are ONLY for Universal Hotels.

It is obvious Disney just keeps selling out. Walt bought all this land so he could build his dream and have plenty of space. I was amazed when I realized all the hotels that Disney has that are built on Disney land. There is the Swan & Dolphin but a whole bunch more in the bonnett creek area, 4 seasons, etc.

EngineerMom

The Extra Magic Hours program was not eliminated, it was modified and renamed. FastPass has been suspended due to COVID and we have no idea whether it will be back or not.
I saw the announcement that Disney was going to allow hotel guests into the park a 1/2 hour early. (Early Entry)
But it appears they haven't started it yet.
I really wish they would get it started.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom