New restaurant mask rule

TokyoMiki

we invited newly met friends last week to join us at our table in Playa Mexico 2 weeks ago. both new friends started doing the mask, sip, mask, bite, mask, sip, mask, bite thing

we told them politely please leave the table.

happy ending. was a very small resort and ran into them in the main pool where they were drinking mask free and we were already drunk so we all laughed and got back to vacationing the right way.

Victaman

Perfect solution for anyone concerned enough that they feel the need to wear a mask during their meal (i.e. only removing the mask long enough to take a bite before replacing it while chewing).

image.jpg

Just fill and enjoy!

JoeCamel

Easiest way to answer this? Call Disney. A guest services representative, as well as a supervisor both told me that your mask must be worn until you are seated. Once seated, your mask can be removed until such time as your party leaves the restaurant. Masks must again be worn when leaving your table (for the restroom), and then may be removed again once re-seated at your table.
Thanks, seems those should be reliable sources for company policy.
I have my own feelings (fading fast I got my 2nd) about mask etiquette. The server is forced to interact with many more people in a day than I do so for courtesy I keep my mask on through the initial order or if I get up to use the restroom but not while I have something to put in my mouth on the table. Once done don the mask and leave.
One pet peeve - the mask goes in your pocket NOT on the table while it is off. Would you blow your nose and put the tissue on the table people are eating from?

TokyoMiki

hehehehe

yes if somebody needs to act like a horse but about mask and eating then we feel that person deserves to have a portable trough strapped to his face

Chi84

Premium Member
Thanks, seems those should be reliable sources for company policy.
I have my own feelings (fading fast I got my 2nd) about mask etiquette. The server is forced to interact with many more people in a day than I do so for courtesy I keep my mask on through the initial order or if I get up to use the restroom but not while I have something to put in my mouth on the table. Once done don the mask and leave.
One pet peeve - the mask goes in your pocket NOT on the table while it is off. Would you blow your nose and put the tissue on the table people are eating from?
We were also keeping on our masks when ordering, but once we're fully vaccinated, I'll only do what is absolutely required. It's going to be interesting to see how many people are willing to mask for "courtesy" rather than for any real reason. Someone posted in another thread that vaccinated people should wear masks even if they don't know whether they're doing any good as a way of signaling to others that they care about them.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We were also keeping on our masks when ordering, but once we're fully vaccinated, I'll only do what is absolutely required. It's going to be interesting to see how many people are willing to mask for "courtesy" rather than for any real reason. Someone posted in another thread that vaccinated people should wear masks even if they don't know whether they're doing any good as a way of signaling to others that they care about them.
I thought vaccinated people should mask because it doesn't stop them getting the disease or spreading it to others who haven't been vaccinated. It was to stop people getting the virus in sufficient load to require hospitalisation. I may be wrong.
When the majority have been offered vaccination then that's a whole new ball game .

JoeCamel

I don't know about signaling anything but if we can crush the flu along the way I'm in. I hate being sick but about every 4 years it hits hard, more so with the passing of years.

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought vaccinated people should mask because it doesn't stop them getting the disease or spreading it to others who haven't been vaccinated. It was to stop people getting the virus in sufficient load to require hospitalisation. I may be wrong.
When the majority have been offered vaccination then that's a whole new ball game .
That's why I said I would continue to follow whatever restrictions are in place. I was talking about some people who go over and above. For example, in my state we are not required to wear a mask when interacting with a server, but we did so anyway. The vaccine does stop people from getting the disease and spreading into others. That's why people are getting vaccinated.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't know about signaling anything but if we can crush the flu along the way I'm in. I hate being sick but about every 4 years it hits hard, more so with the passing of years.
Oh no, I'm not talking about wearing a mask voluntarily. That will always be an option - I hate the darn things but I'll wear one on planes from now on if the person next to me is sneezing and coughing.

JohnD

So, I adhered to it while waiting for my drink to come then I removed my mask. From what I could tell, no one else did and the servers didn't enforce it. Guests removed their masks per usual as soon as they sat down.

JohnD

That's sad that some still don't take this seriously.

I would put that more on the CMs to enforce the rule than the guests. The new rule was just released. An average guest would have no way of knowing the difference without the CMs telling the guests as they sit down at their table.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's sad that some still don't take this seriously.
They are taking it seriously. The servers just aren't interpreting the rule as strictly as some people here are interpreting it. And it's Disney's rule so they get to choose the interpretation. I strongly suspect this rule was to discourage people from lounging around maskless at the quick service restaurant areas - I don't think STK or Cali Grill have a problem with people taking their time and enjoying themselves while dining. Can't wait to find out in person in May.

JohnD

They are taking it seriously. They just aren't interpreting the rule as strictly as some people here are interpreting it. And it's Disney's rule so they get to choose the interpretation. I strongly suspect this rule was to discourage people from lounging around maskless at the quick service restaurant areas - I don't think STK or Cali Grill have a problem with people taking their time and enjoying themselves while dining. Can't wait to find out in person in May.
It’s pretty straightforward. You keep your mask on until your first food and beverage arrive. I think most have gotten used to the all around rule of wearing your mask upon entering then removing it when you sit down. But this is a variation most guests probably aren’t used to. How hard is it for the maitre d, as they sit you at your table, to tell you to keep your masks on until your first food and beverage arrive?

Chi84

Premium Member
It’s pretty straightforward. You keep your mask on until your first food and beverage arrive. I think most have gotten used to the all around rule of wearing your mask upon entering then removing it when you sit down. But this is a variation most guests probably aren’t used to. How hard is it for the maitre d, as they sit you at your table, to tell you to keep your masks on until your first food and beverage arrive?
Even if the requirement is "first food or beverage" instead of just being seated at a table, the time between being seated and getting a glass of water (especially in Florida) is likely a matter of minutes. How much of a difference do you believe that actually makes, especially if you're not interacting with anyone? From the reports I've been seeing, at least at table service restaurants, people are taking off masks when they are seated and the servers are all fine with it. At one point, the rule in my state was that you had to put on a mask whenever interacting with servers even if you had food and drinks on the table. Disney is not requiring this.

Like all rule changes at Disney, I suspect this one was adopted to address a specific problem, and I don't think the problem was having people go without a mask for the couple of minutes between being seated and getting water. More likely they are thinking of people waiting in line or sitting somewhere waiting to be seated.

Lilofan

Servers work on tips. They need to enforce rules in a positive way but need to keep the guests happy too. Unhappy guests leave poor tips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom