News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

note2001

Colors aren’t bad. But it’s over-the-top, hit-you-over-the-head Moana. Or about as subtle as a jackhammer, which is what Disney apparently likes to do these days.
This is my problem with it. One of the things I love the most about the deluxe resorts are the subtle nods to Disney. We don't need the characters on the wall and the oversized pattern is a bit garish.

I'd still stay there, but wish they had only done half the rooms in this style.

Disney Analyst

Bottom left is the only passable one, but I actually truly love the new version.

So you understand my taste level, this is a hotel we’ve just booked a second time up here for
a staycation.

95829ADA-E2B6-4128-9224-B730B092CC14.jpeg

lazyboy97o

One thought about the bathrooms - I’m surprised with the reworks that they didn’t go for zero entry altogether which would be both modern and turn all the rooms wheelchair accessible.
The modular rooms don’t have the space between the floor and ceiling to easily accommodate the necessary trench drain. Even if it was done it would not be enough to make the rooms accessible as they generally lack the required maneuvering space, especially in the bathrooms.

While Disney’s approach to accessibility is generally very good, that they continue to build hotels with the bare minimum of accessible units is disappointing. They know their client base is different and developing a more universal design would be feasible and even more inclusive.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Do we think any of these Disney designers have ventured to the Four Seasons or the new JW to see what an actual deluxe room looks like?

It just doesn't make sense to me. They are frustrated that high end travelers are choosing these hotels over Disney-owned hotels, yet instead of trying to create a product that is even in the same ballpark, they opt for value-chic and instead of actual creative design choices, they opt for IP to cater to the masses.

tirian

Do we think any of these Disney designers have ventured to the Four Seasons or the new JW to see what an actual deluxe room looks like?

It just doesn't make sense to me. They are frustrated that high end travelers are choosing these hotels over Disney-owned hotels, yet instead of trying to create a product that is even in the same ballpark, they opt for value-chic and instead of actual creative design choices, they opt for IP to cater to the masses.
No, they clearly haven’t. This is tacky, not mid-century Tiki.

RSoxNo1

It's ok, it's not great. My biggest objection (like usual) are the characters. My preference would be a single framed photo of Moana and other characters (like they have) but no other characters directly on the walls. If Hei Hei, Maui and Moana weren't on the walls and the decor was otherwise the same, I'd call this a significant improvement.

Animaniac93-98

You think they’d ever dare doing this Moana makeover there?

I sure dont.

Part of Alauni's image is that of cultural authenticity and design sophistication. A deliberate choice to dissuade criticism that the hotel was a needless Disneyficiation/invasion of Hawaiian culture and to convince luxury tourists that Disney could defy their expectations.

But at WDW it's the opposite approach, despite the similar theme and price point. Just slap something together, thrown on some obvious iconography and the less discerning Orlando tourists will love it...or at least that's what management seem to think.

Notes from Neverland

Source where Disney says they're frustrated high-end travelers are staying elsewhere? Their occupancy rates are quite good overall, especially when moderates have prices comparable to "high-end" nearby hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom