Cinderella Castle - 50th Anniversary Additions (Photoshopped)

LittleMerman

Original Poster
I personally find the 5th year one worse
d71c4cbbc0ed73288c3a99d0089ba619.jpg

But

ChOAjgcXEAEKSUb
I quite liked the 5th anniversary, it's tacky but in a fun way like a lot of Disney can be. The 1st anniversary was just ugly though.

yensidtlaw1969

Good, because ours is inspired by that.
Am I in the minority thinking Disneyland's Castle looked much better for its 50th than it did for its 60th? I seem to recall there was a lot of trepidation online around the gold crowns, but I feel like I've seen sooo much praise for the diamond roofs . . . which I felt made the castle feel very plastic. The weird straps didn't help any.

The 50th always felt so much more sophisticated to me, sculpturally, conceptually, and in terms of finishes and color palette. But the 60th seems to get so much love.

Touchdown

Am I in the minority thinking Disneyland's Castle looked much better for its 50th than it did for its 60th? I seem to recall there was a lot of trepidation online around the gold crowns, but I feel like I've seen sooo much praise for the diamond roofs . . . which I felt made the castle feel very plastic. The weird straps didn't help any.

The 50th always felt so much more sophisticated to me, sculpturally, conceptually, and in terms of finishes and color palette. But the 60th seems to get so much love.
I didn’t see the 50th in person, but the 60th castle sparkled, especially at night with its new spotlights lit post DL Forever. It was a great event all around, the small additions to classic rides, the navy and silver combination looked so great on merch and characters, and the entertainment was amazing (with the exception of WOC Celebrate but even that gave us the giant flamethrower addition to WOC.)

I sadly do not think WDW 50th will top it, guess I gotta look forward to DL’s 75th.

yensidtlaw1969

I didn’t see the 50th in person, but the 60th castle sparkled, especially at night with its new spotlights lit post DL Forever. It was a great event all around, the small additions to classic rides, the navy and silver combination looked so great on merch and characters, and the entertainment was amazing (with the exception of WOC Celebrate but even that gave us the giant flamethrower addition to WOC.)

I sadly do not think WDW 50th will top it, guess I gotta look forward to DL’s 75th.

Oh for SURE WDW's 50th will not top either Disneyland's 60th OR 50th, which were each a real event. I would still personally give the edge overall to Disneyland's 50th event over the 60th, as it felt much more genuinely Disneyland-centric to me (referring specifically to what Disneyland Park did to celebrate, I'm not thinking about how Parks worldwide celebrated the milestone). Not to mention what a real rebirth it was for the park.

I would kill to see a Walt Disney World 50th anniversary that delves as deep into the WDW history as Disneyland did for their 50th - it really felt like a celebration of the park's legacy rather than an opportunity for corporate synergy. An "E-Tickets In The Sky" Fireworks honoring WDW's unique attractions, special exhibitions on the resort's history, plussing in attractions through the park and nods to favorites gone by, a sparkling new parade, and a fresh coat of paint on everything the eye can see . . .

The resort should be rising like a phoenix this year, and it's a real, real shame that it won't quite be happening.

LittleMerman

Original Poster

Honestly I thought they were both tacky.

Bocabear

I agree...but the castle decorations were just one element to a much more elaborate park-wide celebration... The new dislay windows on Main Street Disneyland were spectacular... So it seems like the castle decorations and maybe something on the lamp posts will be all we get...and what they have shown so far does not inspire... Changing the color to pink was also a terrible move making WDW's Cinderella Castle look more like it is trying to be Disneyland... Feels more like they are not proud of the original WDW design legacy...
They should bring back golden swan boats, take the castle back to it's 1971 color and then decorate it... Every ride and attraction should be getting upgrades and refreshes... More like Disneyland got...

yensidtlaw1969

I agree...but the castle decorations were just one element to a much more elaborate park-wide celebration... The new dislay windows on Main Street Disneyland were spectacular... So it seems like the castle decorations and maybe something on the lamp posts will be all we get...and what they have shown so far does not inspire... Changing the color to pink was also a terrible move making WDW's Cinderella Castle look more like it is trying to be Disneyland... Feels more like they are not proud of the original WDW design legacy...
They should bring back golden swan boats, take the castle back to it's 1971 color and then decorate it... Every ride and attraction should be getting upgrades and refreshes... More like Disneyland got...
Oh totally, in that quoted post I was referring specifically to the Castle during those anniversaries. I agree there was much to love about the 50th and 60th celebrations overall beyond just the Castle overlays themselves.

Could you IMAGINE if we got Golden Swan Boats for the WDW 50th? Touches like that are the kind of thing the WDW legacy deserves - if not that specifically, at least those KINDS of things. Disneyland's 50th absolutely acknowledged the rich legacy of the park, even including nods to attractions that are no longer there. WDW and the MK totally deserve the same sort of lens directed at them for the Golden Anniversary. Pay tribute to everything that made us fall in love with the park across all of its 50 years. How great would it be to see a nod to 20,000 Leagues in a WDW 50th Fireworks Show? But I doubt if we see anything in WDW for its 50th that acknowledges something like the Swan Boats.

It's almost as if the company forgets WDW has almost as much a storied history as Disneyland. It's different, for sure, but that's why I'd love to see it celebrated specifically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom