Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_super

Possibly 2023. WDW has their reservation system out to Jan 2023.

Yeah I don't really think the reservation system is going away. At least at WDW. There's always a chance that if attendance is bad at DLR they might remove it at some point in the distant future.

Disstevefan1

In recent years, California got $12 in federal funding per resident, compared to Florida's $2,187.

Like you, I don't live in California but I wouldn't begrudge additional federal funding if it's needed in California, just like I'm not upset if there is a bad hurricane season in Florida and they get more help.

It feels like you are using this thread to vent about your general political beliefs instead of discussing Disneyland's eventual reopening.
If you don't intend to visit Disneyland why post? I am really looking to my next Disneyland trip. California is near the top of the list of places I will visit when I am ready to travel again in part because I'm more confident California's safety measures will make it a more healthy and pleasant place to visit. WDW seems to be handling many things relatively well but it's an island in a state with few restrictions.
It’s not about my inability to visit DLR. No one cares about that, nor should they. Its about all the all the income (and yes taxes) lost from the DLR castmembers and all the businesses that surround DLR that depend on DLR, especially when there are proven, effective procedures to reopen DLR safety.

I watch a YouTuber who runs an Apple independent repair shop in NYC. He gave his staff the option to keep working, taking all the known, proven precautions, or stay home till the money runs out and he goes out of of business. All but one elected to continue to work. The one who stayed home, got COVID, and if I remember some family members he lives with also contracted COVID.

My point is, working in an environment that is following the proper procedures could be safer than staying home. At work you have more situational awareness then when you are relaxed at home.

Disstevefan1

PiratesMansion

It’s not about my inability to visit DLR. No one cares about that, nor should they. Its about all the all the income (and yes taxes) lost from the DLR castmembers and all the businesses that surround DLR that depend on DLR, especially when there are proven, effective procedures to reopen DLR safety.

I watch a YouTuber who runs an Apple independent repair shop in NYC. He gave his staff the option to keep working, taking all the known, proven precautions, or stay home till the money runs out and he goes out of of business. All but one elected to continue to work. The one who stayed home, got COVID, and if I remember some family members he lives with also contracted COVID.

My point is, working in an environment that is following the proper procedures could be safer than staying home. At work you have more situational awareness then when you are relaxed at home.
You do you, but it seems strange to me to fixate on DLR and the impacts of the various CMs, supporting businesses, etc. while you have no intention of doing anything yourself to make anything better for any of those various parties since you won't bother to visit them.

Why not focus on supporting the many Florida CMs who were laid off if that's your area of interest? The countless businesses in Florida that are struggling now?

I don't understand spending the time and energy to complain about how things are going in a state that you neither live in nor have any intention to visit. I certainly hope you're doing the same on the WDW side of the boards if you're that interested over here.

mharrington

It really seems like you just want your absolute worst case scenario fears confirmed when that is a very unlikely long term scenario.

It's important to remember that "this is a scenario I don't like" does not equal "this is the worst case scenario or the worst case scenario will happen."

It's not that I want my worst-case scenario fears to be confirmed. Far from it. Rather, it's more that I'm trying to temper my expectations, so I'm not too upset. I had seen a video from Fresh Baked about some clues pointing to Disneyland reopening via the Disneyland app, but frankly, until the government itself comes out and says something, I must hold my excitement in abeyance, especially after what happened last year before July. If anything happens, it will not be Disney's decision, it will be the government's.

Biden made the reopening of schools one of his priorities within the first 100 days of his term, and it seems like he is carrying that out. That said, if schools aren't comfortable opening up than I support those schools' right to do so. If parents really want their kids in a building, I'm sure they can find one that's open.

And while I'm not a Californian, I do think some of the vitriol at Newsom is undeserved. Sure, he had his hypocritical moments (see: every modern politician). Sure, he has theme park policies that almost everyone thinks are excessive and bunk. But some people here carry on as if was one of the worst political crooks of all time and I just don't see that at all.

I actually am a Californian, and what's more, I live fairly close to Sacramento. I had voted for Newsom because he seemed like an ideal bulwark against Trump. But I believe that hypocrisy is going to get you in trouble.

If your normal is when will things like Disneyland open back up even if its with masks and other social distancing measures for a sense of normality, then we're looking at a couple months from now, likely in May.

If your normal is when will things go back to like it was pre-COVID days with no masks at all, well you're looking at sometime in 2022.

I'm not in that big a hurry to go back to pre-COVID days (although it would be nice), but I hope cases do go down enough by May to allow for a reopening even with measures in place.

We must not forget about the more contagious variants. Granted, the vaccine can supposedly work against them, but what really concerns are the variants that are more elusive to the vaccine.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's not that I want my worst-case scenario fears to be confirmed. Far from it. Rather, it's more that I'm trying to temper my expectations, so I'm not too upset. I had seen a video from Fresh Baked about some clues pointing to Disneyland reopening via the Disneyland app, but frankly, until the government itself comes out and says something, I must hold my excitement in abeyance, especially after what happened last year before July. If anything happens, it will not be Disney's decision, it will be the government's.
Its good to temper your expectations. However this is different than last year. Last year we had no vaccine and the pandemic was still in its infancy. Now we have a vaccine and there is a huge light now at the end of a long tunnel. So there is reason for optimism that Disneyland and other entertainment venues will open this year.

I actually am a Californian, and what's more, I live fairly close to Sacramento. I had voted for Newsom because he seemed like an ideal bulwark against Trump. But I believe that hypocrisy is going to get you in trouble.
One thing to think about there is no guarantee that anyone that would replace Newsom would do anything differently. So just because Newsom may get recalled (which I honestly doubt) doesn't mean anything will change.

I'm not in that big a hurry to go back to pre-COVID days (although it would be nice), but I hope cases do go down enough by May to allow for a reopening even with measures in place.

We must not forget about the more contagious variants. Granted, the vaccine can supposedly work against them, but what really concerns are the variants that are more elusive to the vaccine.
One of the key advantages to the mRNA vaccines like the ones from Moderna and Pfizer is they can quickly, and I mean in a matter of days, be modified to combat any new variants that come along. So really this technology is a powerful tool to not only end this pandemic but also help prevent new ones in the future.

TP2000

In fact Fauci has said since last July he wants schools reopened as fast and as safe as possible.

So why didn't the Teacher's Union obey him? Oh, yeah... because Dr. Fauci wasn't elected and the Teacher's Union has never given a dime to him in any campaign, so there is no tit for tat in that relationship.

Meanwhile, Gavin Newsom's children go to school five days per week in-person at the expensive Sacramento Country Day School while the Sacramento Public Schools remain closed and the Teacher's Union digs in their heels for staying closed until all the children are vaccinated in January, 2022.

Gavin and First Partner don't have to worry about their children's education. It's all proceeding as normal, as if a pandemic never existed. And by the time they are 17 and ready to apply to top colleges, the world will be their oyster simply because their last name is Newsom.

Which is why somehow, by some miracle twist of the Science & Data, it's perfectly safe for the Newsom children to attend a Sacramento private school with other upper-class children in-person five days per week. Amazing how that works, isn't it?

View attachment 534692

Some NorCal Counties have moved to the Red Tier

View attachment 534693
SoCal ICU capacity is now above 15%

View attachment 534694
Orange County is close to going to Red. They meet the positivity rate and Health Equity metrics for Red. All that’s needed is the case rate to be at 7.0

Fascinating how Orange County has a lower Health Equity Metric, and thus lower racism, than far more liberal counties like Los Angeles, isn't it? Why is LA so racist I wonder? Why can't they be more like OC?

Remember when all the liberals in California was yelling at OC being the epicenter of COVID in CA?

pepperidge farms remembers

Many people remember. Orange County is far healthier and more equitable than LA County. That must sting for many LA liberals.

And I have a soft spot for Mint Milanos. 😋

It's time for this thread to get a Politics Sticker slapped on it.

For what purpose? Does anyone really look at those little labels? Does it matter?

I just log on every afternoon and see what's up, and am usually greeted with between 8 and 80 different little Bell things, depending on how clever and witty I was the night before. (And that's the story of my life, let me tell you!) And then I start responding to them, as my whims and my personal preferences dictate. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that.

But you think this thread should be tagged with a "Politics" symbol, in a corner of a message board about a theme park that has been closed for the past year? What is the purpose of that? No matter which little thing you tag it with. ;)

Last edited:

Practical Pig

But you think this thread should be tagged with a "Politics" symbol, in a backwater corner of a message board about a theme park that has been closed for the past year? What the hell is the purpose of that?
To respect the hosts that pay the bills and set the rules that we all including yourself agree to in order to post on this privately owned forum. I would think that someone who presents themself as you choose to would be able to respect their legal rights. And yet you don't.

TP2000

To respect the hosts that pay the bills and set the rules that we all including yourself agree to in order to post on this privately owned forum. I would think that someone who presents themself as you choose to would be able to respect their legal rights. And yet you don't.

Wait, who puts the little Politics tab on these threads? Isn't in the hosts? The owner of this website?

If they want to label threads, then go for it. It's their website. Label it up! Leave nothing unlabeled. They pay the bills, so why not?

But what does that change about the conversation? That's where you lose me.

Last edited:

Practical Pig

🥱 And more deflection. We don't seem to be in the same conversation. And our conversation is again concluded for the night.

Last edited:

TP2000

🥱 We don't seem to be in the same conversation. And our conversation is again concluded for the night.

You would like a Politics label on this thread so when people go to the main page of this forum they see that it's labeled as Political, for a purpose that is... a tad murky for me.

Especially considering it's a theme park that's been closed for a year and has no known reopening date due to Politics.

I will continue chatting here in any thread that interests me regardless of which threads are labeled with which, um, labels.

But if labeling stuff makes it easier for you to chat, then label it up! .:)

Last edited:

TP2000

Vaccinations getting us back to normal (I noticed you said “a sense of normality,” as if the thought of actual normal is still far off...) means a different timeline depending on who you ask. Is it when the people who are most likely to get seriously ill/die are vaccinated? When everyone 16+ has a chance to be vaccinated? When everyone, including kids, has been vaccinated? All of these options mean entirely different things - the first could be within a month or two, the last could be another year

Those are all good questions. And it's bizarre to consider, as everyone seems to have a different criteria for when we are "vaccinated" against a disease that primarily kills people older than 70.

Here are the current vaccination rates for Florida and California, as of February 23rd. Florida has allowed it's theme parks to operate since last July, and California doesn't seem to be willing to let it's theme parks operate until after this July.

Vaccination Rates As Of February 23rd, 2021
California = 19.56 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 14.1% Population Given 1 Shot, 5.3% Population Given 2 Shots
Florida = 20.51 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 13.4% Population Given 1 Shot, 7.0% Population Given 2 Shots

Disstevefan1

You do you, but it seems strange to me to fixate on DLR and the impacts of the various CMs, supporting businesses, etc. while you have no intention of doing anything yourself to make anything better for any of those various parties since you won't bother to visit them.

Why not focus on supporting the many Florida CMs who were laid off if that's your area of interest? The countless businesses in Florida that are struggling now?

I don't understand spending the time and energy to complain about how things are going in a state that you neither live in nor have any intention to visit. I certainly hope you're doing the same on the WDW side of the boards if you're that interested over here.
You are right, I happily support my local business, mostly restaurants and since COVID all the various delivery services the restaurants use. Yes it costs more, but the delivery folk love the tips 😀 We even had masks made by a local business, I have a Star Wars mask 😀did I over pay for masks when I have piles of disposable ones, yup, but as you say, support locals.

You are also right about me discussing DLR. Its useless because no matter what you or I say, TWDC will do whatever it thinks is best for its shareholders, even if that means keeping DLR closed indefinitely for no good reason.

I will do my best to try not to discuss DLR going forward. After all, there is plenty to discuss about WDW, like the construction site that used to be called EPCOT...

Disstevefan1

Infrastructure is one of the most effective forms of economic stimulus. Which has everything to do with a COVID induced economic recession.
This railroad had nothing to do with COVID relief, but you are in your rights to think so, and the thought of a underground high speed rail for the Silicon Valley folks to use does sound cool.

My fear is that this money (that could actually have been used for COVID relief) will be spent trying to build this cool underground rail but there will be problems, cost overruns etc. and the railroad will never be finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom