Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratesMansion

Apparently, almost everyone here is of the mindset that if it's not fully opened, then it might as well not be open at all. Which, frankly, I'm kind of the mindset as well. Mind you, I'm not blind to the fact that its opening will probably be phased, but honestly, it won't be the same.

Incidentally, I have found an article where Anaheim is backing a bill that would allow Disneyland and hopefully other parks to reopen sooner. I'm not sure if it's the same bill that the assembly people have sent in (probably not), but if it isn't, then it looks like Newsom has not one, but two bills to contend with on the matter of reopening. It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything does happen. In any case, here's the article on the bill in question:
https://www.themeparkprofessor.com/...mr9HLwRgVB1X_B5Z6xqmnqE8-vHrWVYJR1HgQWYmayBIU

It will probably take a long time for the bill to reach Newsom's desk, and even if it does in a reasonable amount of time, I have to expect that he won't sign off on it.
I went to six non-Disney parks last year, and while none was operating 100% as normal, in general it was a lot closer to normal than I think most people here are expecting. Unless people are that turned off by having to wear masks, distance, and in many cases having every other row closed off on ride vehicles, it's not that bad (indeed, it's nice to not have people right up against you in lines. Not sure why people miss that).

Mostly it came down to a few closed attractions and a few closed food stands. Generally everything important was open. People seemed to be enjoying themselves. The same would be true in California too.

I think most people, Disney included, would rather open up in phases and eventually get back to normal as they can rather than wait until every single thing is able to operate as normal before reopening. It would unnecessarily further lengthen the closure for everyone if they were to do so. As such, when the parks reopen, people need to go in with realistic expectations. Expecting everything to be as it was on the Saturday before the resort closed is foolish. That said, the way things have been depicted in this thread and others, that covid is literally murdering fun at parks dead in its tracks and everyone at parks during covid times is miserable, has been greatly exaggerated. If the value proposition at opening isn't where you want it to be, all you have to do is wait.

If the past year hasn't taught people to appreciate the little things and not take everything for granted, I'm not sure what to tell them. Things will eventually be normal or close to it, but everything will not be normal immediately upon the opening of the gates.

Last edited:

flutas

Wanna see something interesting? :cool:

Screenshot 2021-02-21 134549.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Apparently, almost everyone here is of the mindset that if it's not fully opened, then it might as well not be open at all. Which, frankly, I'm kind of the mindset as well. Mind you, I'm not blind to the fact that its opening will probably be phased, but honestly, it won't be the same.
Actually I don't think anyone here has that mindset at all, or at least very few do. So not sure where you get that idea from. Again this is all part of your own unfounded fears.

No matter how they reopen it will initially not be the same as pre-COVID. This is because at least initially there will still be social distancing measures required, and a modified experience. In my opinion won't be until 2022 when things go back to a pre-COVID experience.

Incidentally, I have found an article where Anaheim is backing a bill that would allow Disneyland and hopefully other parks to reopen sooner. I'm not sure if it's the same bill that the assembly people have sent in (probably not), but if it isn't, then it looks like Newsom has not one, but two bills to contend with on the matter of reopening. It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything does happen. In any case, here's the article on the bill in question:
https://www.themeparkprofessor.com/...mr9HLwRgVB1X_B5Z6xqmnqE8-vHrWVYJR1HgQWYmayBIU

It will probably take a long time for the bill to reach Newsom's desk, and even if it does in a reasonable amount of time, I have to expect that he won't sign off on it.
This is the same Bill that was discuss previously, there is only one Bill.

Disstevefan1

It won’t be too much longer now. The election is over with the intended results. There is no need to keep DLR closed. The proven, known, effective processes and procedures have been working in WDW for many months.

Open DLR now so folks in and around DLR can get back to work.

ToTBellHop

It won’t be too much longer now. The election is over with the intended results. There is no need to keep DLR closed. The proven, known, effective processes and procedures have been working in WDW for many months.

Open DLR now so folks in and around DLR can get back to work.
It has nothing to do with the election held 3 1/2 months ago. It has more to do with the vaccine and Newsom being worried about his next election.

mharrington

Actually I don't think anyone here has that mindset at all, or at least very few do. So not sure where you get that idea from. Again this is all part of your own unfounded fears.

Why then are at least a few people concerned about the reopening being a modified experience?

It has nothing to do with the election held 3 1/2 months ago. It has more to do with the vaccine and Newsom being worried about his next election.

Which is another reason why I have to believe that A) the bill won't be reaching his desk for a long time (if at all), B) when/if it does, he won't sign off on it, because C) he wants to make himself look good and make it seem like he's doing this for the good of the state to stop the virus once and for all. I'm not even sure if he does care about reopening everything, even in part, before the virus is totally eradicated (which, as we know, will probably never happen). I have to believe he will be recalled before the parks (any parks, Disney or not) reopen (if he does get recalled).

PiratesMansion

That's what I thought before July last year. Then things went downhill fast. Frankly, I'm not going to believe it unless the government gives its approval.
While that's fair, I do feel like things, in general, are trending very differently than they were last July, particularly within the government towards this particular issue.

ToTBellHop

Why then are at least a few people concerned about the reopening being a modified experience?

Which is another reason why I have to believe that A) the bill won't be reaching his desk for a long time (if at all), B) when/if it does, he won't sign off on it, because C) he wants to make himself look good and make it seem like he's doing this for the good of the state to stop the virus once and for all. I'm not even sure if he does care about reopening everything, even in part, before the virus is totally eradicated (which, as we know, will probably never happen). I have to believe he will be recalled before the parks (any parks, Disney or not) reopen (if he does get recalled).
I actually think he will allow CA to reopen theme parks by summer. There will be little public support for this once staunchly-conservative states like New York have allowed theirs to reopen. There is a shift happening out in public. And honestly, it’s a pretty modest, but impactful, olive branch to extend. It’s not like reopening all the clubs.

mickEblu

It’s starting to look like the whole tier system criteria at least when it comes to theme parks is about to be thrown out. All it takes is one press conference with Newsom talking about how well vaccine distribution is going yada yada herd immunity will be strong by late Spring Summer yada yada

EDIT: but why then would they recently appeal to open in the Orange tier instead? The whole thing is confusing

mharrington

I actually think he will allow CA to reopen theme parks by summer. There will be little public support for this once staunchly-conservative states like New York have allowed theirs to reopen. There is a shift happening out in public.

Once again, you don't know if California will follow in New York's footsteps. No one does. Maybe it will, and I hope it does, but at this point, anything can happen.

It’s starting to look like the whole tier system criteria at least when it comes to theme parks is about to be thrown out. All it takes is one press conference with Newsom talking about how well vaccine distribution is going yada yada herd immunity will be strong by late Spring Summer yada yada

Again, it will be up to Newsom to do that press conference, and I don't believe he will do that before he signs off on the bill. That is, if it does get to him and he does sign off on it. Frankly, I just don't think he looks like the kind of person who would capitulate under the pressure. It would probably make him look weak. If he did give in, then he would have to admit openly about that French Laundry debacle and confess that he is no better than anyone else here. Do you really he is the kind of person who would swallow his pride like that? Because I don't. Mind you, I would like to be mistaken on this matter.

PiratesMansion

A modified experience is almost certainly going to be reality when the park reopens, but keep in mind that "modified" does not mean "everything is bad or different" either.

See my previous post on going to other theme parks last summer and how most of the time things weren't actually that different, and the important stuff was still there, up and running.

And the reality is that we won't know 100% what those modifications will be until they are announced, though WDW probably offers some hints. There ARE going to be people, on this forum and elsewhere, who won't feel like the modified experience will be worth it, especially since the likelihood of them adjusting the price is nil.

Inevitably someone here will go right when they open and report back as to what the modified experience is actually like, hopefully in a way that is objective and fair. At that point, If what they say sounds fine to you, go. If not, wait, and eventually things will be more normal. These modifications will not last forever.

Disneyland will get back to how it was operating in March of 2020 as soon as they feel they are able to do so. They don't want to be operating below capacity for any longer than they have to.

mickEblu

Once again, you don't know if California will follow in New York's footsteps. No one does. Maybe it will, and I hope it does, but at this point, anything can happen.

Again, it will be up to Newsom to do that press conference, and I don't believe he will do that before he signs off on the bill. That is, if it does get to him and he does sign off on it. Frankly, I just don't think he looks like the kind of person who would capitulate under the pressure. It would probably make him look weak. If he did give in, then he would have to admit openly about that French Laundry debacle and confess that he is no better than anyone else here. Do you really he is the kind of person who would swallow his pride like that? Because I don't. Mind you, I would like to be mistaken on this matter.

All I know is something is up. Magic Mountain just announced they re re opening with rides this Spring. We have rumors of DL shooting for a Memorial Day opening. Now this little Thunder Mountain thing on the app. The only thing that confuses me... if Disney did know something we don’t, why the recent appeal to open in the Orange tier? I do know that after what happened last July, they probably won’t be announcing any opening date until they are 100% sure and have complete backing from Sacramento.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can't speak for everyone, but I expect it comes down to personal preference including not wanting to wear a mask. However my feeling is that even the most staunch critic of a modified experience rather have Disneyland Resort open than closed, even if its with a modified experience.

One other thing to think about, you can't always take what is said on an anonymous internet forum at face value. You may see someone gripe about something, but then be the first in line for that same thing they griped about. So while I know its personally hard for you, don't take everything so literally as we've discussed before.

I'm sorry but none of this makes sense.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nobody knows anything that will happen in the future, but that doesn't mean we can't have opinions. And the opinion of that poster is that California will likely follow the same playbook about allowing theme parks to reopen as states like New York. Its a valid opinion, and nothing that I can see would indicate that something like that wouldn't happen.

I'm sorry but again none of this makes sense. I think you're confusing a bunch of things together.

ToTBellHop

All I know is something is up. Magic Mountain just announced they re re opening with rides this Spring. We have rumors of DL shooting for a Memorial Day opening. Now this little Thunder Mountain thing on the app. The only thing that confuses me... if Disney did know something we don’t, why the recent appeal to open in the Orange tier? I do know that after what happened last July, they probably won’t be announcing any opening date until they are 100% sure and have complete backing from Sacramento.
Perhaps they voiced their support for this and members of the Newsom administration placed calls out to the parks suggesting they plan to loosen restrictions soon? This type of behavior is commonplace in politics and would help push these big companies back into a role of supporting the administration. To paraphrase James Madison, “it might be nice, it might be nice to have [Disneyland] on your side.”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Has it really been Disney that has been recently appealing for reopening in the Orange Tier or rather Anaheim and those two assemblywomen who introduced that Bill? I ask because other than a recent OC article where Potrock was quoted I haven't seen Disney themselves seriously making an appeal to reopen in Orange tier since last year. Basically I count the Potrock quote as hedging their bets, but that is just me.

el_super

What is up is vaccinations. Herd immunity is being predicted for sometime between June and Nov at the current rate of vaccination, and if that continues to increase, the point where we hit herd immunity will be sooner.

Magic Mountain made an announcement that they have no ability to guarantee. LA County has been diligent in keeping a higher degree of restrictions than even the state has recommended. Unless there is a dramatic change in infection rates, vaccination rates, or hospital capacity, it's pretty likely LA County (not Newsom) would keep Six Flags closed. If I recall correctly, LA County even refused to grant permissions to Universal's proposed reopening last June.

Six Flags knows' that it's dependent on the government allowing them to reopen, but they made the announcement anyway because words are cheap.

mickEblu

Has it really been Disney that has been recently appealing for reopening in the Orange Tier or rather Anaheim and those two assemblywomen who introduced that Bill? I ask because other than a recent OC article where Potrock was quoted I haven't seen Disney themselves seriously making an appeal to reopen in Orange tier since last year. Basically I count the Potrock quote as hedging their bets, but that is just me.

I’m not sure tbh. I think it was Anaheim and some theme park union or something. Either way, Disney is aware and/ or behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom