News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

TP2000

Actually California is 38th in that metric, but I know math is not your strong suit:

38. California 6,262,781 11.9 3.7 192,593 75.9%
39. Tennessee 1,026,918 10.1 4.9 25,427 74.1%
40. Maryland 908,979 10.8 4.2 25,879 73.8%
41. Illinois 1,954,382 11.8 3.4 68,086 73.4%
42. Mississippi 447,312 10.8 4.2 13,852 72.8%
43. Nebraska 293,362 10.4 4.8 7,647 72.0%
44. Alaska 193,614 17.7 8.9 5,338 71.3%
45. Pennsylvania 1,927,580 11.2 3.9 56,731 71.1%
46. Georgia 1,491,903 10.0 4.1 41,782 70.0%
47. Kansas 397,247 10.0 3.5 13,096 68.3%
48. New Hampshire 216,649 11.1 4.8 6,846 67.4%
49. Rhode Island 151,170 9.8 4.5 3,709 64.5%
50. Alabama 648,987 10.1 3.1 21,612 63.9%

If you're going to quote a metric at least get it right.

BWAAA! (Interpret that sound how you want, and imagine me doing that in 10th grade Algebra class too. 🤣 ). Darnit, that Washington DC thing screwed up my counting again. You are right, California is #38 and not #39 because Washington DC was included as a state up in the 20's.

We'll pretend Washington DC doesn't even exist and it's citizens don't count as humans to get California up to #38.

I wish the Bloomberg site would just label the place rankings instead of making you count down from the top by hand. :(
And you do know that its not going to stay at 192k daily doses right? The real thing holding California back at the moment from doing MORE is we need the actual physical supply which takes time to get manufactured.

You said we'd have 30 Million Californians fully vaccinated by "last spring/early summer". If we instantly doubled our current vaccination rate tomorrow to 384,000 shots into arms per day it would take us until late July to get to 30 Million.

We are not going to instantly double our vaccination rate. For instance, today California's daily vaccination rate held steady at 192,243 shots per day.

Thus, a more reasonable guess on when we'll have 30 Million of California's 40 Million citizens vaccinated at this current rate of steady growth would be early September, 2021.

Just facts. Pure hard facts. Plus some science and data.

TP2000

Now that we're mid week and Bloomberg just updated its website, what if we tried tracking it this way instead? We'll only use one type of metric at a time to rank the states, specifically our five favorites and whoever is in first place and whoever is in dead last place. And we will completely ignore the Americans who live in non-states like Washington DC and overseas territories, even though they are included in the Bloomberg rankings. They simply won't exist for our tracking purposes.

Percent of Vaccine Supply Used As Of February 17th, 2021

#1. North Dakota = 102.1% Supply Used
(There's gotta be a story there! Did they borrow some from South Dakota?)
#7 West Virginia = 90.3% Supply Used
#12 Texas = 84.3% Supply Used
#32 Florida = 78.8% Supply Used
#34 Michigan = 78.3% Supply Used
#37 California = 76.5% Supply Used
#50 Alabama = 64.2% Supply Used

Percent of Population Given One Dose As Of February 17th, 2021

#1 Alaska = 17.9% Population Given One Shot
#4 West Virginia = 14.1% Population Given One Shot
#24 California = 12.1% Population Given One Shot
#30 Florida = 11.6% Population Given One Shot
#36 Michigan = 11.4% Population Given One Shot
#46 Texas = 10.6% Population Given One Shot
#50 Georgia = 10.1% Population Given One Shot

Percent of Population Given Two Doses As Of February 17th, 2021

#1 Alaska = 9.3% Population Given Two Shots
#2 West Virginia = 8.1% Population Given Two Shots
#12 Florida = 5.5% Population Given Two Shots
#16 Michigan = 5.3% Population Given Two Shots
#36 Texas = 4.3% Population Given Two Shots
#45 California = 3.8% Population Given Two Shots
#50 Alabama = 3.2% Population Given Two Shots

So, there we go. Now the only problem is, what's our cheer going to be for the pep rally? The cheer "We're Number 37/24/45! We're Number 37/24/45!" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

I think we'll need to average those three numbers. "We're Number 35! We're Number 35!" 😒

I don't know that being in 35th place is anything for California to be proud of, especially for paying the highest taxes in the nation. But at least it kind of works for the cheer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now that we're mid week and Bloomberg just updated its website, what if we tried tracking it this way instead? We'll only use one type of metric at a time to rank the states, specifically our five favorites and whoever is in first place and whoever is in dead last place. And we will completely ignore the Americans who live in non-states like Washington DC and overseas territories, even though they are included in the Bloomberg rankings. They simply won't exist for our tracking purposes.

Percent of Vaccine Supply Used As Of February 17th, 2021

#1. North Dakota = 102.1% Supply Used
(There's gotta be a story there! Did they borrow some from South Dakota?)
#7 West Virginia = 90.3% Supply Used
#12 Texas = 84.3% Supply Used
#32 Florida = 78.8% Supply Used
#34 Michigan = 78.3% Supply Used
#37 California = 76.5% Supply Used
#50 Alabama = 64.2% Supply Used

Percent of Population Given One Dose As Of February 17th, 2021

#1 Alaska = 17.9% Population Given One Shot
#4 West Virginia = 14.1% Population Given One Shot
#24 California = 12.1% Population Given One Shot
#30 Florida = 11.6% Population Given One Shot
#36 Michigan = 11.4% Population Given One Shot
#46 Texas = 10.6% Population Given One Shot
#50 Georgia = 10.1% Population Given One Shot

Percent of Population Given Two Doses As Of February 17th, 2021

#1 Alaska = 9.3% Population Given Two Shots
#2 West Virginia = 8.1% Population Given Two Shots
#12 Florida = 5.5% Population Given Two Shots
#16 Michigan = 5.3% Population Given Two Shots
#36 Texas = 4.3% Population Given Two Shots
#45 California = 3.8% Population Given Two Shots
#50 Alabama = 3.2% Population Given Two Shots

So, there we go. Now the only problem is, what's our cheer going to be for the pep rally? The cheer "We're Number 37/24/45! We're Number 37/24/45!" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

I think we'll need to average those three numbers. "We're Number 35! We're Number 35!" 😒

I don't know that being in 35th place is anything for California to be proud of, especially for paying the highest taxes in the nation. But at least it kind of works for the cheer.

I really don't understand your constant need to assign a rank, because its really not a competition. You know that is the reason why Bloomberg doesn't have actual numbers assigned, because its not a competition. But I'd like to point out that California is under reporting its numbers.

"California’s vaccine data system is dramatically undercounting shots administered by counties, officials say, a problem that could hurt planning for the state’s immunization campaign.

On Feb. 5, Yolo County had used 74% of its COVID-19 vaccines, but the state’s dashboard said the county had only used 51%, the county’s health officer Dr. Aimee Sisson told lawmakers during a Wednesday hearing. California has been barraged by criticism for a botched vaccine rollout.

But Sisson said that, at least at the county level, vaccines are being administered much faster than the data reflects.

“Local health departments are putting doses into arms as quickly as we receive them,” she told lawmakers. “The system isn’t broken. It just looks like it is because doses being administered aren’t showing up.”

It’s a concern echoed by other local health officials in recent weeks. In an interview with The Sacramento Bee, California State Association of Counties executive director Graham Knaus said counties in his organization have found the state data is missing hundreds of thousands of administered doses. At the hearing, Sisson said other Sacramento-area counties are seeing similar errors. Los Angeles County’s top science official Dr. Paul Simon said it’s happening in his county, too.

Dr. Tomás Aragón, director of California’s Department of Public Health, acknowledged the data errors Sisson and Simon testified about and said the state is working to correct them.

“Over the past several weeks this has been an incredibly intense focus for us, cleaning up the data, improving the quality, making sure that every dose gets administered,” Aragón said. “Without good data, we’re not going to have visibility on achieving any of our goals.”

Newsom has also acknowledged the data problems — at one point, he said the numbers were three days behind — and lamented that it shows California as doing worse than it really is.

When asked for clarity about Sisson’s comments at the Wednesday hearing, California Department of Public Health spokesman Darrel Ng said the state is looking into the county totals, but said the department believes the state’s current overall vaccination total is accurate.

“The state is working closely with counties to determine if any issues exist, the root cause for potential issues and reconcile vaccine data managed by the state and the counties,” he said in a written statement. “At this point, there are no discrepancies with the total number of vaccines administered statewide, but we are looking into the issues they’ve described.”

It’s part of what the state aims to fix about the rollout with its new agreement with insurance company Blue Shield, which is scheduled to take over the state’s vaccine distribution next week. As part of the agreement, Blue Shield will be tasked with overseeing the state’s vaccine allocation data.

Anthony Wright, executive director of consumer advocacy group Health Access, said in an interview last week that it’s still not clear if early reports that California ranked toward the bottom of the country in terms of vaccine allocation were accurate because of problems with the state’s vaccine tracking.

“At best, we had incomplete data,” he said. “There’s some evidence that it’s not that we were last, it’s just that we didn’t know, which I’m not sure is a better answer.”

Knaus said the counties are working with the state to try to understand the data problems, and at this point have no way to know whether the statewide total is accurate.

“We just haven’t seen an accurate set of comprehensive data to make a determination one way or anther,” he told The Bee on Thursday. “We’re actively working to do exactly that and hope we get that critical data from the state.”

Yolo County knows the state data is wrong because it has physical paperwork showing the number of doses it has administered, Sisson said. She said when the county uploads data to the state’s immunizations database, it receives confirmation that the data has been received, but then it doesn’t show up in the state’s tallies.

The data errors could be a major problem if the state uses its data to determine how much vaccine to give to each county, she said. Right now, she told lawmakers Yolo has the ability to vaccinate far more people than it has doses, despite state data that inaccurately says the county has only used half its supply.

“I’m particularly concerned that the discrepancies will result in reduced future allocations,’ she said. “If the state uses its current data to determine future allocations, Yolo County could be penalized for what the state sees as an administration rate of 51%, but is actually an administration rate of 74%.”

Even if the data is painting a grimmer picture than reality, lawmakers at the hearing said the state’s vaccine rollout still has noticeable problems.

Assemblyman Jose Medina, D-Riverside, said he recently talked with an 86-year-old resident from his district who has been unable to get an appointment or even figure out where to get an appointment, despite being able to use a computer and having the time to try to figure it out. Medina said it’s a problem echoed by many of his district’s older residents, who are most in need of vaccines.

“What we are doing now is not working,” Medina said. “What I’ve seen so far in this rollout has been nothing short of chaotic.”

So in reality for all your bashing of California as being low on the "rankings", its very likely California is higher than is being reported.

BWAAA! (Interpret that sound how you want, and imagine me doing that in 10th grade Algebra class too. 🤣 ). Darnit, that Washington DC thing screwed up my counting again. You are right, California is #38 and not #39 because Washington DC was included as a state up in the 20's.

We'll pretend Washington DC doesn't even exist and it's citizens don't count as humans to get California up to #38.

I wish the Bloomberg site would just label the place rankings instead of making you count down from the top by hand. :(

You said we'd have 30 Million Californians fully vaccinated by "last spring/early summer". If we instantly doubled our current vaccination rate tomorrow to 384,000 shots into arms per day it would take us until late July to get to 30 Million.

We are not going to instantly double our vaccination rate. For instance, today California's daily vaccination rate held steady at 192,243 shots per day.

Thus, a more reasonable guess on when we'll have 30 Million of California's 40 Million citizens vaccinated at this current rate of steady growth would be early September, 2021.

Just facts. Pure hard facts. Plus some science and data.

Actually starting March 1st Blue Shield take over the administration of the vaccination program in California. This will lead, dependent on physical supply, California to do 3M per week vaccinations. Ths is not only double but triple what we're doing daily now, exponential
growth my friend. So yes it is possible to hit full vaccination of the state by late spring/early summer. However I'll put a more realistic prediction of late June/early July.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

From Facebook...

Harry Sidhu

Anaheim, which launched the first large COVID-19 vaccination site in Orange County in January, is adding a second site at the Anaheim Convention Center.

The Super POD at Anaheim Convention Center is set to begin offering vaccinations on Feb. 24, in partnership with the county of Orange.
The site adds to the vaccinations currently being done at the Anaheim Super POD at Disneyland Resort, which has done more 150,000 vaccinations since opening on Jan. 13. The Super POD at Disneyland Resort, which operates from the Toy Story Parking Area, will continue to operate alongside the convention center.

“Anaheim has led the way in Orange County with vaccinations, with one of the first super sites in California at Disneyland Resort and now with a second site at the Anaheim Convention Center,” Mayor Harry Sidhu said. “These two sites will provide more options for Anaheim residents to get vaccinated where they live, while also serving people from across Orange County. Vaccines given in Anaheim will help save lives and allow us to get our theme parks, convention center and sports venues opened when the time is right.”

The addition of the Anaheim Convention Center as a second site in our city provides flexibility in administering first and second shots and in types of vaccines. It will add capacity as more people are coming due for second shots as part or their two-dose vaccines.

Vaccines will be done at the Anaheim Convention Center using part of the Anaheim Arena, a 7,500-seat arena for events and sports, and part of Hall A, a large exhibit hall that usually hosts conventions and other events.

Along with other major venues in Anaheim, the convention center has been closed for events since March 2020. The convention center has hosted Orange County's largest COVID-19 testing site since July. Testing will continue on the southwest side of the Anaheim Convention Center with vaccinations taking place on the northeast side.

The large event spaces of the Anaheim Convention Center provide ample room for vaccinations with social distancing and will be able to operate without disruptions from weather.

The Anaheim Convention Center will start by offering second doses for those who have already received their first dose of the Moderna vaccine.

Anyone who received their first Moderna dose at the Super POD at Disneyland Resort will now receive their second dose at the Anaheim Convention Center. Second dose appointments will be as previously scheduled, with only a change in location to the convention center, which is about a block away from the Super POD at Disneyland Resort.

After Feb. 24, the Super POD at Disneyland Resort will focus on administering first and second doses of the Pfizer vaccine, while the Anaheim Convention Center site will focus on administering Moderna, both first and second doses.

Both Moderna and Pfizer have effective rates of about 95 percent.

Vaccines at both sites are by appointment only. For both sites, arrive no earlier than 30 minutes prior to your appointment.

Only those currently eligible in what's known as Phase 1A can be vaccinated right now. Those eligible are healthcare workers, first responders and those 65 and older.

Those ineligible and those without appointments will be turned away to ensure supply for those who can be vaccinated right now.
We expect to see eligibility expand in coming weeks and months.

For more, please see Anaheim.net/vaccines.

TP2000

Wait, @Darkbeer1, you mean to tell us that they are going to administer Covid shots to patients indoors? Inside the Convention Center? Where there's a ceiling and walls and light fixtures and central heating?

Wonders never cease! ;)

Next thing you'll tell me is that they are going to let all these vulnerable people seeking Covid relief park their cars in the multi-level parking structures attached to this indoor convention center.

TP2000

Well, this isn't good news. The Anaheim Supersite is closing because the record cold weather across the country has disrupted supply chains for the vaccine. :(

Shipment disruptions caused by the severe cold weather gripping much of the country is causing closures at mass vaccination sites in Orange County, officials announced Thursday, Feb. 18.

The Disneyland Super POD (point of dispensing) in Anaheim, set up in one of the theme park’s parking lots, closed Thursday and will remain closed through Monday, pending delivery of more COVID-19 shots, county officials announced in a statement.

Patients with vaccine appointments from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday were first turned away due to wind at the tented Disneyland site, according to a Health Care Agency tweet. Later the announcement was made about the prolonged closure.

Another large-scale site at Soka University in Aliso Viejo will remain open at least through Saturday to provide second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, but won’t be serving first-time visitors, Orange County CEO Frank Kim said.

TP2000

It should be noted, Anaheim's Supersite was already closed today due to wind. Seriously. :(

Anyone who had a reservation to get a shot today had their appointment cancelled, and will be rescheduled later.

This is the fourth weather-related closure for Anaheim's outdoor Supersite since it opened a month ago.

The Anaheim Convention Center Supersite across the street will open later this month, and will not have to close for wind or rain or heat or any weather related issue.

TP2000

Latest from the vaccine front before I go down the hill and meet some naughty friends for dinner at another local restaurant that has reopened their indoor dining room...

I was supposed to take my lady friend back to Soka on Sunday to get her second shot, and me my first shot. But now that's all up in the air because the massive winter storm east of the Rockies has cancelled shipments of the vaccine into SoCal. We met for coffee this morning and her Othena App appointment was still standing for Sunday, as was mine, but the news keeps saying the Soka site will be closed on Sunday, so we are waiting to see what the Othena App tells us by Sunday morning.

Speaking of the media, in the last day I have heard repeated news radio and TV stations say "The vaccine site at Disneyland is closing this weekend because of lack of supply..." and I can only imagine how that makes TDA and Burbank execs continue to cringe. They probably wished they hadn't lent them that parking lot, and Anaheim should have just done this at Angel Stadium or something to prevent the "Get Your Vaccine At Disneyland!" branding. o_O

And finally, the numbers are in on Bloomberg for the current global totals. Canada continues to struggle, but the storm's impact on the USA totals was also slightly noticeable this week as our numbers didn't rise quite as quickly as they had in previous weeks.

The European Union continues its slow march from pathetic to mere mediocrity. Canada, Mexico and South America is a disaster. And vaccines haven't even started to be offered in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, etc.

United Kingdom = 26.0 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 25.3% Population 1 Dose, 0.9% Population 2 Doses
United States = 18.0 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 12.7% Population 1 Dose, 5.3% Population 2 Doses
Spain = 6.3 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.8% Population 1 Dose, 2.5% Population 2 Doses
Ireland = 5.9 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.8% Population 1 Dose, 2.1% Population 2 Doses
(those UK numbers have to sting a bit!)
Germany = 5.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.7% Population 1 Dose, 0.7% Population 2 Doses
Belgium = 5.5 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.4% Population 1 Dose, 2.1% Population 2 Doses
France = 5.4 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.4% Population 1 Dose, 1.6% Population 2 Doses
Canada = 3.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 1.8% Population 1 Dose, 1.0% Population 2 Doses
(uh.... yikes)
Mexico = 1.0 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 0.8% Population 1 Dose, 0.2% Population 2 Doses

drizgirl

Latest from the vaccine front before I go down the hill and meet some naughty friends for dinner at another local restaurant that has reopened their indoor dining room...

I was supposed to take my lady friend back to Soka on Sunday to get her second shot, and me my first shot. But now that's all up in the air because the massive winter storm east of the Rockies has cancelled shipments of the vaccine into SoCal. We met for coffee this morning and her Othena App appointment was still standing for Sunday, as was mine, but the news keeps saying the Soka site will be closed on Sunday, so we are waiting to see what the Othena App tells us by Sunday morning.

Speaking of the media, in the last day I have heard repeated news radio and TV stations say "The vaccine site at Disneyland is closing this weekend because of lack of supply..." and I can only imagine how that makes TDA and Burbank execs continue to cringe. They probably wished they hadn't lent them that parking lot, and Anaheim should have just done this at Angel Stadium or something to prevent the "Get Your Vaccine At Disneyland!" branding. o_O

And finally, the numbers are in on Bloomberg for the current global totals. Canada continues to struggle, but the storm's impact on the USA totals was also slightly noticeable this week as our numbers didn't rise quite as quickly as they had in previous weeks.

The European Union continues its slow march from pathetic to mere mediocrity. Canada, Mexico and South America is a disaster. And vaccines haven't even started to be offered in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, etc.

United Kingdom = 26.0 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 25.3% Population 1 Dose, 0.9% Population 2 Doses
United States = 18.0 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 12.7% Population 1 Dose, 5.3% Population 2 Doses
Spain = 6.3 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.8% Population 1 Dose, 2.5% Population 2 Doses
Ireland = 5.9 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.8% Population 1 Dose, 2.1% Population 2 Doses
(those UK numbers have to sting a bit!)
Germany = 5.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.7% Population 1 Dose, 0.7% Population 2 Doses
Belgium = 5.5 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.4% Population 1 Dose, 2.1% Population 2 Doses
France = 5.4 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 3.4% Population 1 Dose, 1.6% Population 2 Doses
Canada = 3.7 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 1.8% Population 1 Dose, 1.0% Population 2 Doses
(uh.... yikes)
Mexico = 1.0 Doses Per 100 Citizens, 0.8% Population 1 Dose, 0.2% Population 2 Doses

I actually like the messaging of having the vaccination site at Disneyland. Because the vaccine represents hope. They're part of the solution. A field hospital might have been a different matter. But a vaccine site? I think it's great to associate Disneyland with that.

TP2000

I actually like the messaging of having the vaccination site at Disneyland. Because the vaccine represents hope. They're part of the solution. A field hospital might have been a different matter. But a vaccine site? I think it's great to associate Disneyland with that.

I like your sunny attitude! :)

The problem is when the Disneyland site closes suddenly. It's been closed four times in the last five weeks due to bad weather (or what passes for "bad" weather in SoCal). The indoor vaccine sites don't need to close for weather.

And now the Disneyland site is closed indefinitely because truly bad weather of unprecedented proportions has wreaked havoc on the rest of the country disrupting shipments of the vaccine. Everyone who had appointments at Disneyland had their appointments cancelled this weekend until a future day when the site can reopen once supply arrives.

It's a mess. And the word "Disneyland" is used in all the bad headlines. Burbank is probably not pleased. 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

Also, it's official. The Othena App cancelled my appointment at Soka University for tomorrow. :rolleyes:

My friend still has her appointment at Soka on the Othena App for her second shot of the Pfizer vaccine, and I will drive her there because she doesn't drive on the freeways.

But I'm back to waiting for the Johnson&Johnson one-shot option instead, which is fine with me. I'll report back on what our Soka experience is like for her second shot.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I like your sunny attitude! :)

The problem is when the Disneyland site closes suddenly. It's been closed four times in the last five weeks due to bad weather (or what passes for "bad" weather in SoCal). The indoor vaccine sites don't need to close for weather.

And now the Disneyland site is closed indefinitely because truly bad weather of unprecedented proportions has wreaked havoc on the rest of the country disrupting shipments of the vaccine. Everyone who had appointments at Disneyland had their appointments cancelled this weekend until a future day when the site can reopen once supply arrives.

It's a mess. And the word "Disneyland" is used in all the bad headlines. Burbank is probably not pleased. 🤣

Can't have a site open if they aren't receiving supply from manufacturing sites back east due to severe weather that is affecting shipping.

Also, it's official. The Othena App today cancelled my appointment at Soka University for tomorrow. :rolleyes:

My friend still has her appointment at Soka on the Othena App for her second shot of the Pfizer vaccine, and I will drive her there because she doesn't drive on the freeways.

But I'm back to waiting for the Johnson&Johnson one-shot option instead, which is fine with me. I'll report back on what our Soka experience is like for her second shot.
Sites that do have vaccine supply are currently only doing second shots in order to make sure those that get the first shot get their second in a timely manner. Can't prioritize a person who hasn't gotten a first shot over someone scheduled to get their second.

Also you seem not to understand supply chain issues as you keep blaming the wrong people for the current issues with vaccine supply.

TP2000

Sites that do have vaccine supply are currently only doing second shots in order to make sure those that get the first shot get their second in a timely manner. Can't prioritize a person who hasn't gotten a first shot over someone scheduled to get their second.

Also you seem not to understand supply chain issues as you keep blaming the wrong people for the current issues with vaccine supply.

Who did I blame? I blamed Old Man Winter. I didn't blame Bob Chapek or Dr. Fauci. :D

And now the Disneyland site is closed indefinitely because truly bad weather of unprecedented proportions has wreaked havoc on the rest of the country disrupting shipments of the vaccine.

It's just Old Man Winter, who is dating Mother Nature and their Date Nites cause a lot of problems for the Midwest this time of year.

TP2000

I'm not talking about this specific time, you've constantly blamed Newsom for vaccine supply issues until this recent post.

Yes. In the past 60 days I've blamed Governor Newsom for California's miserably low performance for vaccine administration.

That's not just me though, there's about 1.7 Million (and counting) other Californians who feel the same way.

But this time, this week, it's just Old Man Winter and the horrible storms back East that closed the vaccination sites around SoCal.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes. In the past 90 days I've blamed Governor Newsom for California's miserably low performance for vaccine administration.

But this time, this week, it's just Old Man Winter and the horrible storms back East that closed the vaccination sites around SoCal.
Except the point that I was making is its the same supply issues just different circumstances. This all spawns from manufacturing getting shipments out, ie, supply chain issues.

If California had 80M doses, enough to vaccinate everyone, and things were still slow then I'd be right with you blaming Newsom. But California doesn't have 80M doses, it has a limited supply that has to be distributed ALL over California not just the LA and Orange County. So this isn't a Newsom problem, this is a supply chain problem. You want to put blame on someone, blame Pfizer and Moderna.

TP2000

Except the point that I was making is its the same supply issues just different circumstances. This all spawns from manufacturing getting shipments out, ie, supply chain issues.

If California had 80M doses, enough to vaccinate everyone, and things were still slow then I'd be right with you blaming Newsom. But California doesn't have 80M doses, it has a limited supply that has to be distributed ALL over California not just the LA and Orange County. So this isn't a Newsom problem, this is a supply chain problem. You want to put blame on someone, blame Pfizer and Moderna.

California continues to rank in the bottom 25% of states for Supply Used of their vaccines delivered to them by the Feds.

There is currently about 1,385,000 unused doses of vaccines sitting in California storage facilities. As a point of reference, Arizona has only had 1.4 Million doses given to it in the last 90 days. Most states haven't even received their 1 Millionth dose from the Feds yet, but California has more than that just sitting in freezers waiting to be used.

Data for February 19th on how states rank on the vaccine supply used, with our favorite five states noted:

#1 North Dakota = 108.9% Supply Used
#6 West Virginia = 93.6% Supply Used
#27 Florida = 83.2% Supply Used
#33 Texas = 82.4% Supply Used
(even after much of the state was clobbered by storms!)
#34 Michigan = 82.2% Supply Used
#38 California = 79.5% Supply Used
#50 Alabama = 69.5% Supply Used

Later today, I'm going to look into why some states like North Dakota have given more shots than their supply from the Feds allows. Are they borrowing shots from neighboring states? Buying extra shots on the side? There's got to be a story there!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
California continues to rank in the bottom 25% of states for Supply Used of their vaccines delivered to them by the Feds.

There is currently about 1,385,000 unused doses of vaccines sitting in California storage facilities. As a point of reference, Arizona has only had 1.4 Million doses given to it in the last 90 days. Most states haven't even received their 1 Millionth dose from the Feds yet, but California has more than that just sitting in freezers waiting to be used.
See and this is where your misunderstanding of things comes in.

No there is not 1.3M doses sitting in some warehouse. If there is that many doses really unused they are sitting in hospitals and vaccination sites across the state. However that number "unused" has to have a BIG asterisk put next to it because its been reported, something I pointed out early this week, that California's reporting system is underreporting the number of doses left available.

In addition some counties are vaccinating faster than others such San Diego and San Francisco, while others like LA County has been slower. So that also has an effect on the numbers unused.

One other thing to note is that doses in the past haven't been redirected if they are unused. For example if a vaccination site such as Disneyland's had to close down for x reason any of those doses just sat there instead of going to another county such as LA County. This has been changing in recent weeks. And will change when Blue Shield takes over the entire state vaccination program here next week.

drizgirl

See and this is where your misunderstanding of things comes in.

No there is not 1.3M doses sitting in some warehouse. If there is that many doses really unused they are sitting in hospitals and vaccination sites across the state. However that number "unused" has to have a BIG asterisk put next to it because its been reported, something I pointed out early this week, that California's reporting system is underreporting the number of doses left available.

In addition some counties are vaccinating faster than others such San Diego and San Francisco, while others like LA County has been slower. So that also has an effect on the numbers unused.

One other thing to note is that doses in the past haven't been redirected if they are unused. For example if a vaccination site such as Disneyland's had to close down for x reason any of those doses just sat there instead of going to another county such as LA County. This has been changing in recent weeks. And will change when Blue Shield takes over the entire state vaccination program here next week.
But the other states have the same issue, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom