Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

Darkbeer1

>>California Assemblywomen Sharon Quirk Silva, D-Buena Park, and Suzette Valladares, R-Santa Clarita, introduced a bipartisan bill aimed at hastening the reopening of Disneyland, which has been shuttered since March, and other California theme parks.

“Now, more than ever, we need to strengthen our resolve to care for each other and to create clear and proper tiers to ensure the safety and health of our community and businesses,” said a statement from Quirk-Silva, chair of the Assembly Committee of the Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism and Internet Media.

“Through collaboration with industry leaders, responsible and safe tourism can be used as a pathway to recovery," Quirk-Silva said. The California Attractions and Parks Association (CAPA) announced its "strong support" for the bill, "AB 420," in a statement Thursday.

The bill proposes to move larger theme parks, including Disneyland, to California's orange tier, which is one of the benchmark levels for reopening amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The tiers signify COVID-19 risk level for the counties in which each business operates. The classifications include purple, which signifies widespread risk, red for substantial risk, orange for moderate risk and yellow for minimal risk.<<

Darkbeer1

>>Anaheim officials have decided to push the state to help reopen Disneyland sooner rather than later.

As of Tuesday, California counties must reside in the least restrictive COVID-19 tier, known as the minimal tier, for their large theme parks to resume operation. Orange County has remained in the most restrictive reopening tier, known as the widespread tier, since Nov. 16.

California counties are assigned one of four tiers that are determined by COVID-19 testing positivity, case rates and health equity, with the first tier being the most restrictive and the fourth being the least.

The Anaheim City Council voted 6-1 on Tuesday to support a state assembly bill that would alter the reopening guidelines for theme parks. The bill would allow large theme parks to reopen in the moderate tier instead of the minimal one.

Unlike large amusement parks, such as Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm, small ones are currently allowed to reopen at 25% capacity in the moderate tier. The bill, introduced by California Assembly members Sharon Quirk-Silva and Suzette Martinez Valladares, would allow all theme parks, regardless of size, to do the same.

Mayor Harry Sidhu said that the safe reopening of Disney parks is essential for the city’s economic recovery as thousands of people could return to work and small businesses near the park could rebound sooner.

“Nobody is saying we want to reopen Disneyland today,” Sidhu said. “This legislation does not seek to change the tiers. It only expresses that large theme parks with the bigger footprints and significantly greater resources to establish safety protocols should be able to open in the same tier as the small parks.”

Mayor Pro Tem Stephen Faessel said he’s always wanted theme parks to reopen when the time was right and that the assembly bill goes in that direction.

“It’ll help us get our people back to work. Our residents or workers in the resort district have been hit very, very hard by the pandemic. I believe we can open responsibly, responsibly and safely, while also protecting the health which is most important of our staff and guests,” Faessel said.

Council member Jose Diaz said he supports the assembly bill not for Disneyland or the hotels but for the 260,000 jobs that the region and the industry supports. He said he is concerned about the truck drivers, mechanics, electricians and warehouse workers who need to provide financially for their families. <<

el_super

>>Anaheim officials have decided to push the state to help reopen Disneyland sooner rather than later.

That assembly bill is going to have no impact on the reopening of Disneyland. Not only does it not go to committee until mid March, but it's only actually a recommendation to the governor and state health authority which still has total control over pandemic response.

As has always been true, during this whole affair: the fastest way to reopen Disneyland will be abiding by health recommendations and reducing the spread of the virus, something that has a real shot of happening before this bill actually gets a majority vote.

lazyboy97o

That assembly bill is going to have no impact on the reopening of Disneyland. Not only does it not go to committee until mid March, but it's only actually a recommendation to the governor and state health authority which still has total control over pandemic response.

As has always been true, during this whole affair: the fastest way to reopen Disneyland will be abiding by health recommendations and reducing the spread of the virus, something that has a real shot of happening before this bill actually gets a majority vote.
You mean a lower court judge did not give the legislature control of all pandemic response?

TP2000

Original Poster

I think you are missing the changing political winds here.

Governor Newsom is going to need to reverse his October, 2020 decision to prevent California theme parks from reopening until their county gets to the Yellow Tier.

Either he's going to rewrite the rules in the Blueprint For A Safer Economy and let theme parks reopen in the Orange or Red Tiers, or he is going to throw out the Blueprint For A Safer Economy entirely and start fresh with his fourth (or is it fifth) set of rules for California businesses. And the new rules will allow Disneyland to reopen effective immediately.

Newsom has already proven he can reverse and cancel any of his previous mandates based on Science & Data at a whim.

He did this most recently by immediately and without warning cancelling his Stay-At-Home Order and Statewide 10PM Curfew that no one obeyed, even though the ICU capacity in the regions was still way below the 15% threshold he said they have to reach. That whole thing only lasted six weeks, and the 15% threshold was entirely ignored when he reversed his decision suddenly.

It can, and it will, happen again for California theme parks. The political pressures on Newsom are too great for him now.

Darkbeer1

Governor Newsom is going to need to reverse his October, 2020 decision to prevent California theme parks from reopening until their county gets to the Yellow Tier.

Either he's going to rewrite the rules in the Blueprint For A Safer Economy and let theme parks reopen in the Orange or Red Tiers, or he is going to throw out the Blueprint For A Safer Economy entirely and start fresh with his fourth (or is it fifth) set of rules for California businesses. And the new rules will allow Disneyland to reopen effective immediately.

Newsom has already proven he can reverse and cancel any of his previous mandates based on Science & Data at a whim.

He did this most recently by immediately and without warning cancelling his Stay-At-Home Order and Statewide 10PM Curfew that no one obeyed, even though the ICU capacity in the regions was still way below the 15% threshold he said they have to reach. That whole thing only lasted six weeks, and the 15% threshold was entirely ignored when he reversed his decision suddenly.

It can, and it will, happen again for California theme parks. The political pressures on Newsom are too great for him now.

el_super

I'm not. A major portion of that change in Newsom's approval has come from groups that think it's too soon to open anything, and balked at his call to reopen schools. As such, announcing a lifting of restrictions allowing Disneyland to open sooner, would just make his approval numbers worse.

Additionally, Newsom's approval ratings will mean nothing to the majority of lawmakers needed to pass the legislature. You will need lawmakers from all around California to basically agree to something that is predominantly a Southern California specific proposal.

And finally, there's a good chance that if this even does come up for a vote, it will be so far into the future, OC might have already reached the yellow tier and Disneyland will already be open.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm not. A major portion of that change in Newsom's approval has come from groups that think it's too soon to open anything, and balked at his call to reopen schools. As such, announcing a lifting of restrictions allowing Disneyland to open sooner, would just make his approval numbers worse.

Additionally, Newsom's approval ratings will mean nothing to the majority of lawmakers needed to pass the legislature. You will need lawmakers from all around California to basically agree to something that is predominantly a Southern California specific proposal.

And finally, there's a good chance that if this even does come up for a vote, it will be so far into the future, OC might have already reached the yellow tier and Disneyland will already be open.

I'm just calling it now...

The Blueprint For A Safer Economy Four-Tier Color Coded Guidance is going the way of the Pet Rock, New Coke, the Edsel, and the Statewide 10PM Curfew by Easter. ;)

TP2000

Original Poster
Is there something inherently wrong with things changing when things change/are discovered? Are you still, deep down inside, positive continental drift is not real because it wasn't verified until after geology as a science was established?

The Science & Data used to keep theme parks closed in February, 2021 won't have changed dramatically in 45 days by April, 2021.

But what will change is the political winds. And they are blowing stronger by the day now in Sacramento.

To his credit, Governor Newsom was very clear how the Yellow Tier works when he mandated California theme parks must remain closed until their county reaches the Yellow Tier.

Yellow Tier = Less Than 1 New Daily Case of Covid Per 100,000 County Residents, Less Than 2% Positive Tests, Health Equity Metric Less Than 2.2%

That very clear Science & Data will still exist and be quantifiable in April. My bet is that by then, that particular Science & Data will be replaced with something far less restrictive that allows Disneyland to open, possibly effective immediately.

Just like the Stay-At-Home Order and Statewide 10PM Curfew. The SoCal Region is still in a situation where we should still be closed under the Stay-At-Home Order as defined by its Science & Data from December, 2020. But suddenly, and without warning, that Science & Data was no longer important and the Stay-At-Home Order was cancelled effective immediately.

I'm betting the same thing happens for California theme parks by Easter. :)

Last edited:

cmwade77

Newsome could lose the vote of all the people who are huge fans of fracking!!
Yeah, I don't like Newsom and I don't like fracking, the two aren't mutually exclusive and I know there are people who have jobs that depend on fracking, but we need to come up with a better system as it is damaging our environment dramatically.

TP2000

Original Poster
In a earthquake rich state, fracking seems like a bad idea.

California has allowed Fracking for over a decade. There are currently 10 counties in California that have active Fracking wells.

The largest oil producing county in California is Kern County, and approximately 60% of those wells use Fracking to extract oil.

Oil companies have also done offshore Fracking in the oil rich undersea areas just off the coast of Santa Barbara.

There is also Fracking going on in Orange County, at well sites a few miles north of Disneyland in the Brea Hills. The majority of Orange County's drinking water comes from underground aquifers directly south (downhill) from those Fracking wells in Brea.

Fracking in California is not new. It's been happening here in large production for over a decade. We're all still here. :)

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Newsome could lose the vote of all the people who are huge fans of fracking!!

Newsom is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on Fracking. There are activist groups from both sides pressuring him.

For now, Newsom's administration is once again approving new Fracking permits in California.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Newsom is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on Fracking. There are activist groups from both sides pressuring him.

For now, Newsom's administration is once again approving new Fracking permits in California.

That was last April. Has he done any since then?

TP2000

Original Poster
That was last April. Has he done any since then?

Yes. After a six month moratorium on approving new Fracking permits ended, the Newsom Administration continued to approve dozens and dozens of new Fracking permits throughout 2020. I assume that process continues into 2021, because there has been no news reports that it has stopped.

Darkbeer1

San Diego County suspends enforcement of COVID-19 restrictions on restaurants and live entertainment | KTLA

>>The judge’s ruling followed more than an hour of spirited argument about whether state authorities overreached or acted within the law to protect public health.

“What’s going to happen next when there is some greater emergency? Are we all going to be under house arrest? Are we going to even have a Constitution?” said Saccuzzo, the Pacers lawyer. “I fear that we may end up in a country that we don’t even recognize.”<<

Drove down to San Diego for the weekend.

Drove by Pacers, their entire parking lot is now an Inside-out Restaurant, only a Valet stand next to the sidewalk to deal with cars.

And , no, I did not stop, just drove by doing a couple of errands visiting friends/clients.

But maybe tomorrow on my Birthday.... But since I want to remain Happily Married, think I will have a meal elsewhere.

I love one of the ads on their digital Ad board in front of the building

>>$2 Steaks every Tuesday, Pairs well with << (Slang term that begins with a B for a woman's chest))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom