US Cinemas Are Reopening Slowly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can appreciate your optimism, but we also need to be realistic. I doubt based on the current numbers that the US will be down below 50,000 cases by next month.

I have near nil faith the public will do what’s necessary to get anywhere close to that number. It will be mid summer...just a guess.

The current prediction by experts seems to be 25k cases a day by April. 25k cases a day could in theory be enough to reopen cinemas with masks and social distancing still in place until late summer. We could see 5k cases a day by August or September by then some states could possibly start lifting some social distancing restrictions.

Did you get those “predictions” from the New England Journal of Quack Statistics?

People need to stop overreacting to every new variant. Most viruses mutate we know this. We are very lucky in we already have two vaccines Pfizer and Moderna that are effective against the new variants. J&J and the Oxford vaccine less so. There will be booster shots that likely get fast tracked don't panick man. I feel like you probably read the COVID reddit sub too often lol. I stopped going there and it did wonders for my mental health.

Yeah...you’re not entirely wrong...

But to downplay it is very wrong. Did you sleep Through 2020? We’ve seen what humans do when armed with the weapon of stupidity...

...they hurt themselves and everyone else. Life in Real Time

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, people are allowed to have their own opinions on the variants, but a lot of my friends and family and me don't believe in that kind of stuff. We just focus on the good stuff. And one day you'll learn how to do too.

Wow...and unapologetic hoaxer...

...it’s like seeing a unicorn these day’s 😳

brodie999

Original Poster
According to Bloomberg, over 13.7 million people in the US are fully vaccinated now and 37.9 million people had the first shot. This may come as a shock to some of you. Even I didn't expect these numbers to go up in a matter of 2 days last time I checked the vaccine tracker.

BrianLo

Pertinent to this discussion, China just set the all time record for a single markets opening box office performance (outdoing Avenger's: Endgame US/Canada record).

I do think eventually there will be a realm for return of meaningful theatrical performances in Western Markets. Even if increasingly Foreign International is where the money is. The theatrical experience is not totally dead.

Archie123

Pertinent to this discussion, China just set the all time record for a single markets opening box office performance (outdoing Avenger's: Endgame US/Canada record).

I do think eventually there will be a realm for return of meaningful theatrical performances in Western Markets. Even if increasingly Foreign International is where the money is. The theatrical experience is not totally dead.

Definitely not dead but I don’t think it will be anything like it was pre-Covid until at least 3rd quarter of this year at the earliest and most likely not till 2022.

Darkprime

Definitely not dead but I don’t think it will be anything like it was pre-Covid until at least 3rd quarter of this year at the earliest and most likely not till 2022.

Lines up with Disneys expectations of no masks no social distancing at the parks till 2022. I never expected the pandemic to go away fully in 2021 only for restrictions to be eased enough for stuff like theaters and broadway to reopen with physical distancing still in place till at least early 2022.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bloomberg reports that so far, 39.2 million have had the first shot of the COVID vaccine and at least 14.9 million people in the US have been fully vaccinated.

That is information from yesterday, check the site later today for more up-to-date information. They update it daily usually between 2-4pm PST.

brodie999

Original Poster
That is information from yesterday, check the site later today for more up-to-date information. They update it daily usually between 2-4pm PST.
Wait... they update the website everyday between 2-4 PM? Wow... so hopefully later on today, it'll say 15.2 million people got fully vaccinated.

Darkprime

All eyes will be on Godzilla vs Kong come March 31st. Basically If you want to see Black Widow or any other 2021 movie in theaters this year go see that movie. If Godzilla vs Kong does well the reality is studios wont care about how many people are vaccinated as long as they know they can make money.

brodie999

Original Poster
You were right. They do update the website between 2-4 PM. Now it says 15.6 million are fully vaccinated and over 40.2 million got the first dose. It also says it'll take 4.9 years to cover 75% of the world's population and the projections are getting smaller by the day.

Archie123

All eyes will be on Godzilla vs Kong come March 31st. Basically If you want to see Black Widow or any other 2021 movie in theaters this year go see that movie. If Godzilla vs Kong does well the reality is studios wont care about how many people are vaccinated as long as they know they can make money.

WW2 failed to do anything at the movies so I’m not expecting to see much from Kong. And yes vaccinations weren’t happening like they are now but with major markets like NY and California still closed and HBO Max showing the movie simultaneously it’s not going to do well.

Darkprime

WW2 failed to do anything at the movies so I’m not expecting to see much from Kong. And yes vaccinations weren’t happening like they are now but with major markets like NY and California still closed and HBO Max showing the movie simultaneously it’s not going to do well.

Well see. The WB movie The Little Things with Denzel Washington has done surprisingly well given the current pandemic situation. Their are glimmers of hope that the box office will return to normal at some point. Whether thats with Godzilla vs Kong who knows. I've said for a while now audiences are simply waiting for the right movie. That will either be something like godzilla vs kong or black widow.

brodie999

Original Poster

Darkprime

No Time To Die is moving up a week to September 30th in Russia. The tweet also speculates that its likely to do the same in other regions. This seems like really good news. I don't think its going to get pushed back anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom