Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

Sharon&Susan

It's been brought up and discussed in the appropriate thread...

If you look at the full image there's some text on how the DAK expansion mentioned on Joe Rhode's boot was cancelled and Zootopia is something completely different and Disney forcing Zootopia into the AK is what may've caused his retirement.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
If you look at the full image there's some text on how the DAK expansion mentioned on Joe Rhode's boot was cancelled and Zootopia is something completely different and Disney forcing Zootopia into the AK is what may've caused his retirement.
If that’s truly the case... I would not blame him one bit.

Dizmentia

If we want to get technical, Zootopia has already appeared at Animal Kingdom on a very, very small scale. I pointed this out on Twitter to some "Zootopia doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom!" folks and it was explained to me that this exhibit was about man observing animals to make the film, so it fit the theme of Animal Kingdom. So, technically, I guess they are saying Zootopia...does belong in Animal Kingdom?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 1.45.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 1.45.24 PM.png
    591.2 KB · Views: 79

brianstl

If we want to get technical, Zootopia has already appeared at Animal Kingdom on a very, very small scale. I pointed this out on Twitter to some "Zootopia doesn't belong in Animal Kingdom!" folks and it was explained to me that this exhibit was about man observing animals to make the film, so it fit the theme of Animal Kingdom. So, technically, I guess they are saying Zootopia...does belong in Animal Kingdom?
The one thing I don't get about Zootopia not fitting the theme is how aliens, cryptozoology, time travel and a dog with a collar that let's him talk fit this theme they want to protect?

Sharon&Susan

Does High School Musical The Series now belong in Tomorrowland now because there was a promotional preview in the Magic Eye Theater?

brianstl

Ok I'll say it: Furries!
LOL.

I think I should point out that I don't think Zootopia would be the best use of resources in Orlando for multiple reasons, but protecting a theme at DAK isn't one of them. That wall has long been breached if it ever really existed.

UNCgolf

LOL.

I think I should point out that I don't think Zootopia would be the best use of resources in Orlando for multiple reasons, but protecting a theme at DAK isn't one of them. That wall has long been breached if it ever really existed.

It's not only about the theme as a whole (although that is part of it); it's also about the aesthetic. Zootopia's aesthetic doesn't remotely fit. It's a modern city. That's also one of the biggest reasons nobody likes Chester and Hester and want it replaced (certainly not the only reason, of course).

Zootopia would also be a much larger breach of the theme than anything else you mentioned, though -- they're all still about animals, even if those animals are fictional.

Last edited:

orlando678-

It's not only about the theme as a whole (although that is part of it); it's also about the aesthetic. Zootopia's aesthetic doesn't remotely fit. It's a modern city. That's also one of the biggest reasons nobody likes Chester and Hester and want it replaced (certainly not the only reason, of course).

Zootopia would also be a much larger breach of the theme than anything else you mentioned, though -- they're all still about animals, even if those animals are fictional.
Can't help but mention that at times Zootopia did have some pretty vibrant and natural environments that could easily blend in with DAK's aesthetic with the same logic of having Pandora there.
635925270070199117-sahara.jpg

RD-New.png

J4546

i am curious to what zootopia land will be in shanghai when its done, its def a massive building maybe the biggest building disney has ever built surface area wise. I heard its possibly be a radiator springs style ride but bigger and going through multiple enviroments with hot and cold temps.

Sounds cool but i still dont want it at AK. spend the money elsewhere in the park before an expansion

UNCgolf

Can't help but mention that at times Zootopia did have some pretty vibrant and natural environments that could easily blend in with DAK's aesthetic with the same logic of having Pandora there.

There's almost no chance they would build a Zootopia area without just cloning what was already done in Shanghai, though, and Shanghai's area is a city. Even if the aesthetic was better, it still runs into the theme problem wherein it's not about animals.

Regardless, every indication has been that Disney has no plans or even interest in bringing it to the Animal Kingdom.

Kgp0793

Wow, talk about overthinking a subject. Yeah, I must be crazy, why would an IP, whose characters are all animals, fit in a park called Animal Kingdom? I am no way advocating Disney build anything like Six Flags. They paint a roller coaster red & blue and call it a Superman coaster. This is nothing like that, so, again, stop over-reacting.
I agree...people need to stop overthinking and being condescending with their opinions...if you don’t like Zootopia, that’s fine, but stop shouting your opinion at every one like it’s a fact. It’s not that serious. We’re on a forum about a theme park!!!

Kgp0793

Honestly, I have never understand the desire to put Zootopia into Animal Kingdom. To me, the connection is so superficial as to miss the point of the park: "Oh! there's a park about animals! Here's a movie with 'animals.'" Couldn't we make the same argument that Robin Hood should be in the park?

Currently, Up is represented in the park. This makes some sense from an exploration and adventure perspective. However, if you want another newer IP that fits more with the theme of Animal Kingdom, then I would recommend Wall-E. And please note that I am NOT suggesting that I want Wall-E in the park, yet, it fits better than Zootopia. It at least presents a theme of human environmental impact.
I don’t completely agree with you, but reading your post was so refreshing after reading all these posts of people screaming their condescending opinions at people who don’t agree with them. I would love some more Wall-E in the parks though 🤔

Tom Morrow

The one thing I don't get about Zootopia not fitting the theme is how aliens, cryptozoology, time travel and a dog with a collar that let's him talk fit this theme they want to protect?

They made Pandora work by making the entire land and the rides be about conservation and co-existing with nature. It's not about the aliens.

Cryptozoology... the park has had a dragon on the logo since day one. How does this not fit? Expedition Everest also has a theme of conservation and not encroaching on nature.

Time travel is the only way we can see living dinosaurs. The motto of Dinoland USA is "Extinction is Forever." There is nothing that says science fiction can't be a part of the park's theme.

Dug is at least a "real" dog and not an anthropomorphic dog.

The "A Bugs Life" bugs can talk but they're real bugs.

Zootopia is different. They're humanoid anthropomorphic animals living human-like lives, living in a human-like world. A large portion of the humor in the movie comes at the expense of animal traits. Laughing at the animals. The movie has a good message about inclusion and racism, but nothing that fits the park's overarching theme or message. It would be like if Disney recreated Toontown in DAK because Mickey and the gang "are animals". Yes, they do have a presence in the park via meet & greets, but they act as ambassadors of Walt Disney World, you are not meant to think they are part of the park's theme or message.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

I wouldn't mind this area be themed more to children, sort of like the old Bugs Life area at California Adventure. My family loved that spot. Zootopia or whatever could be the theme, the fact you have to go out of your way to get there by train would be actually be smart because you would have less adults that are just riding these more kid themed rides just for the heck of it there.
I always wished they would have shipped Bug's Land over to AK. It would be a cute addition, especially over in the wildlife area =)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom