BAD experience at Smokehouse in EPCOT

TrainsOfDisney

Flame Tree Barbecue isn't bad either, but Polite Pig is both better and has a more expansive menu.
I like Polite Pig.. I haven’t eaten at flame tree since Avatar land opened so I’m not sure I can make a comparison. If I get down there sooner rather than later I probably will because of all the outdoor seating.

UNCgolf

I like Polite Pig.. I haven’t eaten at flame tree since Avatar land opened so I’m not sure I can make a comparison. If I get down there sooner rather than later I probably will because of all the outdoor seating.

Flame Tree only has chicken, ribs, and pulled pork. I personally find pulled pork rather pointless -- it basically exists as a sauce delivery device because it's never especially good on its own. It has neither brisket nor smoked turkey, which are my two favorite BBQ meats. Polite Pig has both, and cheddar sausage (which is really good) too. I also think both the ribs and chicken are better at Polite Pig, and Polite Pig has some great sides.

It's not that Flame Tree is bad, because it's not -- if you're planning to eat in Animal Kingdom it's a solid option. But it's always going to be difficult for a Disney in-park QS restaurant (or even table service restaurant these days) to match something like Polite Pig which has far more freedom in how they operate and prepare food.

MaryMcMagic

We went for a really quick weekend trip from PA to attend the International Arts Festival with my daughter and try some of that great new menu. It was excellent. All agreed that the tomato soup and toasted cheese w/ bacon was a simple dish, but very tasty and very popular (longest line at any stand). We never tried Smokehouse so we agreed that Sunday night after doing two parks we'll head over in the evening and have a light dinner there. My daughter got the burger with the brisket, pulled pork, and onion. She loved it. Wife got the pulled pork platter which she really liked. I got the ribs which were seasoned well, but a bit dry. All agreed it was a very good meal. May I note, it was the only thing we had since 11:00 AM at the House of Blues brunch.
Here's where holy hell broke loose. We got back to our hotel about 9:30. Daughter laid in bed with her dog and I was watching the NFL playoff wrap ups.
My daughter suddenly popped up from her bed saying she felt warm and her stomach was in knots. She ran to the bathroom and the gates opened. Was in there about 15 minutes throwing up. At first I thought Covid, but she cooled down after her expulsion. Not good.
About an hour later my stomach started grumbling and I had to run in there, but the results were a bit different than hers (if you catch the gist). I was in the bathroom an additional three times throughout the night.
Given the timeframe, I can only deduce that this was from our food. We shared a little bit with each other, but my wife didn't get sick. We did get to Smokehouse late, and got our platters at about 7:35, just before closing. I don't know how long they leave the smoked food waiting for pending orders, but the smoker was not going when we arrived which I fully understand.
First bad food experience we had within the Disney parks. Very upset.
How do I notify Disney ?
So disappointing to read of your experience. My friend and I really liked our roasted chicken meals just this past weekend. It was my first time eating at Regal Eagle and enjoyed it very much. Polite Pig is one of my favorite QS locations in all of WDW, but Regal was one of my MUST-DO's this time around.

MattFrees71

Bingo Matt. There was no pull on the ribs. It was like rib jerky on a bone. It also had a nice effect on my digestive system; kind of like a rib enema. Of course I noticed the smoker was off at 7:30, as well it should be, but I wonder when the last batch is completed and stored ? And how is it stored, under hot lamps ?
I've worked in restaurants in my younger days. I would avoid going to a dining location at their closing. You may be getting the scraps.
Yep, I went within about 45min of closing and it was pretty dead in there (was this past summer when things were still very quiet after covid). Seemed as if some the food been sitting out either at the end of or past it's holding time under the heat lamp. My brisket sandwich was sort of ok but the sides were old. It was one of those things where I had eaten enough of it before fully realizing it was subpar so I wasn't going to bother asking for a replacement. Chick fil-A or Culver's can do better and make sure you get fresh food even if you have to wait a few extra minutes while they're cooking a new one.

jaklgreen

Yep, I went within about 45min of closing and it was pretty dead in there (was this past summer when things were still very quiet after covid). Seemed as if some the food been sitting out either at the end of or past it's holding time under the heat lamp. My brisket sandwich was sort of ok but the sides were old. It was one of those things where I had eaten enough of it before fully realizing it was subpar so I wasn't going to bother asking for a replacement. Chick fil-A or Culver's can do better and make sure you get fresh food even if you have to wait a few extra minutes while they're cooking a new one.

There is no excuse for serving cold food. That is way past the danger zone and they should know better. I ate there on my trip last year and was not impressed with the food. I can get much better BBQ at local places. I don't like Flame Tree either. Makes me sad to think that people who think that is good probably have never had really good BBQ before.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Bingo Matt. There was no pull on the ribs. It was like rib jerky on a bone. It also had a nice effect on my digestive system; kind of like a rib enema. Of course I noticed the smoker was off at 7:30, as well it should be, but I wonder when the last batch is completed and stored ? And how is it stored, under hot lamps ?

More than likely in Alto Shaams, holding oven/pit, Cambro, or some combination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom