Star Wars Video Games Now Live Under The Lucasfilm Games Umbrella

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

Lucasfilm has announced a change for its gaming projects. Going forward, the company's video game ambitions will live under the "Lucasfilm Games" umbrella, Disney announced on the Star Wars website.

This will be the catch-all name that is the "official identity for all gaming titles from Lucasfilm, a name that encompasses the company's rich catalog of video games and its eye toward the future."

You will see the re-branding on Twitter and Facebook, and on those places you can expect to see "breaking news and more directly to fans." There is a new logo as well, which you can see below and in the sizzle reel video that the company released with this announcement.

Don't get too excited, however, as the sizzle reel below does not include any new games or nods to the future, beyond bearing the new logo. Instead, the video showcases some popular Star Wars games such as Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Squadrons, and more.

Lucasfilm does not develop games itself, but the company instead licenses its properties to other developers and publishers, such as EA. This was not always the case, as Lucasfilm was working on Star Wars 1313, an exciting-looking game about a bounty hunter, until the developer was closed. A developer who worked on this game recently reminisced and reflected on the game's cancellation.

Disney was at one point a big name in game development, releasing the Disney Infinity, Epic Mickey, and Split/Second franchises, among others, but has in recent years backed away for internal game development. Disney chairman Bob Iger has acknowledged that Disney's game development track record has been spotty, which is why the company is now pursuing a different strategy where it licenses its games to developers, like EA, to make Star Wars games.

EA hasn't had the best luck with third-person games using the license. Aside from the successful Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, it had another game in the works with Uncharted's Amy Hennig at the helm that was canceled.

EA's deal with Disney for Star Wars games reportedly runs for 10 years. Having started in 2013, that would mean it is scheduled to end in 2023, unless it has been extended.

PopCentury

It stinks Disney can’t get someone to make quality games with the franchises they have.

I saw on gaming leaks and rumors subreddit that someone said a Star Wars Dynasty Warriors game could be happening. I don’t believe it but damn is that such a cool idea in my opinion.

khlaylav

It stinks Disney can’t get someone to make quality games with the franchises they have.

I saw on gaming leaks and rumors subreddit that someone said a Star Wars Dynasty Warriors game could be happening. I don’t believe it but damn is that such a cool idea in my opinion.
Helpfully, they've just announced that a new original Indiana Jones game is coming out in partnership with Machine Games, who have been creating the Wolfenstein series. I would imagine this is the reason for the announcement yesterday of the rebrand-put people in mind of series like Indy

I agree with you on the Dynasty Warriors Star Wars idea, especially if they went wide with the roster. Like not just the movie characters-it'd be really fun to play a properly implemented Agent Kallus from Rebels, or an Ezra that can switch between gun and lightsaber.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

It stinks Disney can’t get someone to make quality games with the franchises they have
Exactly. As long as Disney thinks giving companies like EA exclusivity, is a good idea, we'll keep getting mediocre to poor games. Unfortunately Disney has no clue about the video game world. And it really is a shame as they have the greatest staple of IPs in the world.

PopCentury

Helpfully, they've just announced that a new original Indiana Jones game is coming out in partnership with Machine Games, who have been creating the Wolfenstein series. I would imagine this is the reason for the announcement yesterday of the rebrand-put people in mind of series like Indy

I actually played the wolfenstein 1/2 last year and I am interested to see how they would do a Indiana Jones game. Wolfenstein 2 was a lot better than the first one imo. I enjoyed both. Let’s see if they keep it a first person game or change it to third person. You’d think the best studios to make a Indiana Jones game would be Naughty Dog or the studio that makes Tomb Raider.

Exactly. As long as Disney thinks giving companies like EA exclusivity, is a good idea, we'll keep getting mediocre to poor games. Unfortunately Disney has no clue about the video game world. And it really is a shame as they have the greatest staple of IPs in the world.

Yea, it’s such a shame because of their IPs. They could make so much money off gaming if they actually knew what they were doing. They can make video games that cater to all audiences like Nintendo.

khlaylav

I actually played the wolfenstein 1/2 last year and I am interested to see how they would do a Indiana Jones game. Wolfenstein 2 was a lot better than the first one imo. I enjoyed both. Let’s see if they keep it a first person game or change it to third person. You’d think the best studios to make a Indiana Jones game would be Naughty Dog or the studio that makes Tomb Raider.

Yea, it’s such a shame because of their IPs. They could make so much money off gaming if they actually knew what they were doing. They can make video games that cater to all audiences like Nintendo.
They're now announcing a Star Wars game developed by Ubisoft Massive, so there's some actual movement on games. Add in the rumored followups to Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order and there's some actual movement there.

As for all ages games with their IPs, that's tricky. I'd say Disney likely thinks of Kingdom Hearts as their flagship Disney game brand. It might be a JRPG, but it's sold well and there's brand recognition at this point.

erasure fan1

They're now announcing a Star Wars game developed by Ubisoft Massive, so there's some actual movement on games. Add in the rumored followups to Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order and there's some actual movement there.
The Ubisoft announcement has me hopeful. They say story driven adventure, but my fear is we see something in the lines of the avengers. I'm hoping that Disney/Lucasfilm have listened to the fanbase. Basically they want an Assassins creed, Skyrim or Witcher 3 game set in the star wars universe. More so they want Knights of the old republic 3. That is the game that can bring most everyone back on board with Lucasfilm Games.

Screamface

They also then made Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

I hope the game goes third person like the older ones. I do remember having fun in some past Indy game, running around with a whip and punching people.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where can I download the Facebook app "Tatooineville"? The moisture farms won't condense themselves!! Also, DM me your FB handles so I can ask you for some replacement motivators.

erasure fan1

Disney are obviously looking to go Full on Licensing with their IP starting with Lucasfilm.

Don't be surprised if they do it more with Marvel IP.
I was saying it before they gave star wars to EA that the best strategy they could have, is to farm out their ips to anyone. Things like star wars, marvel, indy are all no brainers. The real test is Disney allowing any franchise the opportunity to move into the game space.

Indy_UK

What Disney will realise is similar to them moving into streaming, they were hesitant whether the demand is there but when they do, they'll try and bring it in house.

Not thrilled about Indiana Jones going exclusive to XBOX but i guess that's the same about Spiderman being only on Playstation although thats a Sony thing rather than a Disney thing.

Indy_UK

Gaming news/commentary sites are overjoyed that EA doesn't have an exclusive with Star Wars anymore.

For such a HUGE IP i think people were expecting a lot more. The issues with Battlefront 2 would explain Disney not to continue the exclusivity. People want proper Star Wars RPG's and EA were never going to commit to those

erasure fan1

Gaming news/commentary sites are overjoyed that EA doesn't have an exclusive with Star Wars anymore.
As they should be. EA exclusivity was absolutely the worst choice Disney could have made for video games. Hopefully this leads Disney to open up its IP library to whoever wants to make a game. We haven't seen a good pure Disney game in a very long time.

erasure fan1

Not thrilled about Indiana Jones going exclusive to XBOX but i guess that's the same about Spiderman being only on Playstation although thats a Sony thing rather than a Disney thing.
It hasn't been announced if it will be xbox only. I think there are a lot of people who think it will be because of the Bethesda sale to Microsoft. But I would guess the game is far enough along that the deal was made before the Microsoft purchase. And Microsoft is honoring any exclusive deals that were made before the purchase. At best I see it being a timed exclusive. But I think Microsoft will throw it on game pass so while Playstation will need to pay 60/70 dollars, xbox will just get to play it for nothing extra.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom