News New Exhibit ‘The Soul of Jazz: An American Adventure’ Debuts in February at EPCOT

Sir_Cliff

Sounds good! These little exhibits are one of the things I like the most about World Showcase, indeed Epcot generally.

Makes me think, actually, of an excellent exhibition I saw at the Cineteca Nacional in Mexico City a few years ago when Coco came out about Walt Disney and Mexico. I don't know where they could put it, but a scaled down version (it was rather large!)/taste of the exhibition at the Mexico pavilion would be wonderful.

1610465457128.png

Prototype82

I'll miss the Native American art exhibit just like I miss the National Treasures exhibit - But I'm glad they're rotating themes. As much as I'd like to say I could do without the IP, the Frozen exhibit that was formerly in Norway and the lightly Coco-themed Mexico exhibit were beautifully done. Can't wait to check this out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Celebrate Soulfully in February at Walt Disney World Resort
(and Disney Springs)

Annette Gibbs

by Annette Gibbs, Public Relations Manager, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products

I’m thrilled to share with you that, beginning in February, Walt Disney World Resort will unveil several new experiences inviting you to celebrate soulfully with us here at The Most Magical Place on Earth. Coinciding with and extending beyond February’s Black History Month, these offerings honor Black heritage and culture through music, food, art and more.

The Soul of Jazz: An American Adventure

The Soul of Jazz: An American Adventurewill debut this Monday, Feb. 1, at EPCOT and continue beyond the end of the month inside The American Adventure. Featuring Joe Gardner from Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” (now streaming on Disney+), this new exhibit showcases historic artifacts of famous jazz musicians, inviting you on a musical tour of the United States to learn more about this colorful, inspiring and constantly evolving genre of music.

“Celebrate Soulfully at Disney Springsbrings together several new offerings debuting in February at the Walt Disney World shopping, dining and entertainment district. With jazz-inspired performances, new art displays, special food menus and more, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.

Featured will be four new art displays inspired by Disney and Pixar’s “Soul,” created by emerging Black artists: Bee Harris, Bianca Pastel, Arrington Porter and Cory Van Lew. Originally developed in collaboration with Disney and Pixar as part of a HUE Unlimited collection of wearable art, the work reflects each artist’s interpretation of the film.

Three evenings per week – Motown Mondays, Jazz Thursdays and Smooth Sundays – musicians will perform throughout Disney Springs, playing tunes sure to stir your soul. In addition, select dining locations will feature special menu items, including Amorette’s Patisserie offering treats inspired by “Soul” and Walt Disney Animation Studio’s “The Princess and the Frog.” Also at Disney Springs, several retail locations will spotlight products from Black designers, artists and visionaries.

As part of their “Movies Under the Stars” program, select Disney Resort hotels throughout the month of February will show films celebrating Black culture, such as “The Princess and the Frog.” These complimentary movie screenings are available to guests of Disney Resort hotels, offering relaxing evening entertainment for the whole family in a serene outdoor setting.

This is just a sampling of ways you can celebrate soulfully with us here at Walt Disney World. Keep checking back with us on the Disney Parks Blog for more details about these experiences coming soon.

Heppenheimer

As much as I love jazz... I generally find museums or exhibits devoted to music underwhelming unless they really immerse you in the actual sounds of the medium. A collection of documents, pictures and old instruments really doesn't do it justice. Particularly for a genre like jazz where so much of the enjoyment comes from the spontaneity of live performance. The best part of the jazz museum in Kansas City for me wasn't the exhibits, it was the live music club attached to it. Hopefully, they make this exhibit as audio as possible.

Or better yet, hire actual jazz bands to perform at the pavilion.

stevebwv

I was excited to see the exhibit but now will probably pass on it. Sad to see Disney exclude all other races from an exhibit of a quintessential American music form as if it only tells the story of one race. It never occurred to me this would be a black exhibit as opposed to an American exhibit. Music is all about bringing people together and they decide to use it as a wedge.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was excited to see the exhibit but now will probably pass on it. Sad to see Disney exclude all other races from an exhibit of a quintessential American music form as if it only tells the story of one race. It never occurred to me this would be a black exhibit as opposed to an American exhibit. Music is all about bringing people together and they decide to use it as a wedge.
They'll probably give no mention to Macklemore in an upcoming tribute to rap!!

castlecake2.0

Where does it say that?

castlecake2.0

Nope. That remains untouched, this is going in the main rotunda.

In other news, @WDW Pro can add to his winning percentage. Mouse found a way to quietly disappear quotes from troublesome historical figures like Ayn Rand, Charles Lindbergh ... and Walt Disney.
Next they need to update the show and acknowledge that America existed before the mayflower arrived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom