runDisney Star Wars Events

OG Runner

I understand this opinion, but if I did the running didn’t “cheat” in any way. Trained like everyone else, even followed the pacing requirements that runDisney uses I really don’t see any harm in this. Planning a trip to Disney isn’t always feasible for myself and probably others. Sure, their are people they don’t run at all but for those who do I don’t see a problem. It isn’t at Disney but we are doing the same amount of running and training you would do for a live race.

These virtual races in general are the only reasons I am running longer distances. I was running shorter distances prior to this never going past a 5K. Disney was the only theme that would of gotten me motivated had they not had gone virtual I would of never started running longer distances in the first place.

I am in no way saying that the virtual races are a substitute for live events but I don’t believe they are harmful in the slightest. If anything it is actually good for them since more people can participate.

I am glad it works for you and I am trying to no make a judgement on anyone competing in the virtual races. It just doesn't work for
me, and this is a totally personal opinion.

lukacseven

Definitely, it really just comes down to personal opinion.
If you complete a run of a certain distance that results in a medal, it doesn't really matter WHERE you ran it, IMO. You earned the medal ether way & Disney medals are among the most unique to commemorate your accomplishment. That said, I have run a few (non-Disney) virtual races because I was unable to travel and attend in person. Having run the Disney races may times, I have zero interest in running around my suburban Philly neighborhood (or anywhere around here for that matter) in early January to get another Disney shirt/medal. At this point, I have a closet full of shirts & so many medals, most are in boxes in my basement. I run the Disney races solely to be able to run through the property & for the comradery. Just hoping to be able to do it again in 2022.

OG Runner

If you complete a run of a certain distance that results in a medal, it doesn't really matter WHERE you ran it, IMO. You earned the medal ether way & Disney medals are among the most unique to commemorate your accomplishment. That said, I have run a few (non-Disney) virtual races because I was unable to travel and attend in person. Having run the Disney races may times, I have zero interest in running around my suburban Philly neighborhood (or anywhere around here for that matter) in early January to get another Disney shirt/medal. At this point, I have a closet full of shirts & so many medals, most are in boxes in my basement. I run the Disney races solely to be able to run through the property & for the comradery. Just hoping to be able to do it again in 2022.
From your mouth to God's ear!

Surferboy567

I think what is happening with me specifically, is that unlike basically everyone here. I don’t really know what a “live” race is like.

They only “live” race I have ever participated in was the Castaway Cay 5K (the cruise one not the runDisney one). It isn’t really even a race, more of just a fun run. This event is actually what got me into running in the first place. Seeing that Disney had dedicated running events was the step that sealed the deal for me.

Being that I have never run before, the virtual medals and shirts that I am receiving now are extra special to me because I simply never had a chance to participate in these events. Let alone run a distance like this.

I can only imagine when I do eventually get to a “live” runDisney race. I’ll understand what everyone means.

lukacseven

I think what is happening with me specifically, is that unlike basically everyone here. I don’t really know what a “live” race is like.

They only “live” race I have ever participated in was the Castaway Cay 5K (the cruise one not the runDisney one). It isn’t really even a race, more of just a fun run. This event is actually what got me into running in the first place. Seeing that Disney had dedicated running events was the step that sealed the deal for me.

Being that I have never run before, the virtual medals and shirts that I am receiving now are extra special to me because I simply never had a chance to participate in these events. Let alone run a distance like this.

I can only imagine when I do eventually get to a “live” runDisney race. I’ll understand what everyone means.
I've had the privilege of running marathons/half marathons in many states/cities - some small, some larger. Disney live, in-person races are unlike anything else. A lot has to do with being self-contained to the property & having the infrastructure to support it. Aside from the NYC Marathon, nothing I've ever experienced compares in scale. What Disney, IMO, does so well & better than anyone else is generates a full experience, from the expo, to the pre-races to the races themself. The whole weekend is treated just like a park attraction. Sounds like the January 2022 marathon may be the next in-person runDisney event. See you there!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've received an email for my races (5K & Kessel Run Challenge) and my pre-ordered merchandise.

Surferboy567

All Kessel run challengers as well as (I think) Virtual Half runners. My profile updated with a toolkit for the Virtual Half marathon part of my Kessel Run challenge. This should also be the same for just virtual half runners. In the toolkit you will find your bib (it’s blank) as well as Mile Markers.

Keep in mind, I am a Kessel Run challenger so I don’t know what virtual half runners see. I’d imagine it should be the same. Also for fellow Kessel Run challengers only the virtual half part of the challenge has a toolkit, nothing for the “official” rival run yet.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Received my 5k refund this morning on my card. Still haven't received a refund/cancellation email for my challenge. Disney still owes me about $500

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Logged into RunDisney and I have access to the virtual toolkit for the half. I'm going to give it a few more days before calling rD to make sure this has been canceled. My 5k registration is showing canceled.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
...and just like that I got the cancellation email for the challenge. From my fingers to runDisney's ears.

surfsupdon

I am still excited to see what this weekend morphs into!! I was not a Star Wars fan, so this weekend did not appeal to me. Looking forward to the future! Hope it is more than the now regular 5K, 10K, Half spread over three days. We shall see!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom