Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

BasiltheBatLord

On this topic, site that must not be named just published an article saying that Standby Passes are only active during certain times of the day, although it's usually only the first hour of the day or last two hours before closing when they're not active and standby lines return. Only exception is Soaring, which is 100% standby pass-only.

SweetDuffy101

On this topic, site that must not be named just published an article saying that Standby Passes are only active during certain times of the day, although it's usually only the first hour of the day or last two hours before closing when they're not active and standby lines return. Only exception is Soaring, which is 100% standby pass-only.
but let me tell you this, and heres my overall thoughts about standby pass, When the first phase of standby pass began on october only few attractions were implemented and yes, Its mainly for rope drop guests if you want to ride the most popular rides(soaring and TSM).

Yes the system is convenient IF the daily rate of guests are low, ITS FUN IF you got the opening tickets, and if you indeed got the opening pass, You get a standby pass for soaring for 30 mins prior to opening of TDS with a wait time of 5 mins to 15 mins if you reserve fast enough, me and my partner managed to snagged and wait only for 5 minutes, and the weird thing is that when people were trying to fall in line for standby pass attractions, They didnt know about the new system, about lets say 92% or so guests didnt knew about the system, Especially the foreigners, I saw some of them trying to queue for toy story mania and they surprised when they were asked for a standby pass and at that time Toy story mania and Soaring had ran out of Reservation pass.

About our experience using the pass, TDS didnt had any entertainment offerings besides greeting shows and fireworks which are very short, We have managed to move around the park for only 6 hours, We had done everything from rides to an hour lunch time, But then again I realized that before the new system were introduced it was normal for guests to wait for hours to get into a ride, or watch a show and consume all day to do so much things as much as possible, but you cant finished all of them even with regular fastpass.

But with standby pass yes its fast its convenient, But It kinda feels sad and lonely if there are no entertainment offerings or meet and greets, Imagine going to a beautiful disney park you want to meet your favorite characters, I mean its normal to see them for free without any hassles, But in TDR You have to win a lottery in order to see them in person.

I feel like TDR/OLC are neglecting so much out of their annual pass holders, That when you think about it , You loose that spark of excitement and JOY when youre visiting a DISNEY park. If you look at OSAKA USJ They offer so much for there annual passholders and regular TDR fans envy the USJ fans because of the offerings that they give to their costumers and annual passholders.

And one more thing if you dont have a Disneyresort app or dont have a smartphone ask a cast member to imprint you a standby pass,
They will help you obtain Lottery pass and Standby pass for attractions just show them your QR code passport and they will help you get it.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
This little alcove before you board the elevator to get up to Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall was the pre-show space for the Castle Mystery Tour. Looks like the door to the basement is still there:

castle mystery tour entrance.jpg

Also I was surprised to find out the little carved image of Cinderella and Prince Charming above the elevator doors was always there, even in the 80s. I thought it was added when the walkthrough changed. Seems very little of the lobby was altered when the overall walkthrough was.

Here's also a neat poster that was created when the Mystery Tour opened:

1609388352959.png

wdrive

I’ve been reading that Tokyo is now limiting numbers to 5,000, cutting park hours and fireworks due to Covid. Surely it’s not worth opening for 5,000?

SweetDuffy101

I’ve been reading that Tokyo is now limiting numbers to 5,000, cutting park hours and fireworks due to Covid. Surely it’s not worth opening for 5,000?
since the numbers are quite high as of recent and State of emergency has been activated throughout JAPAN, We recommend on not to go at all, and its way better than closing the parks, But hey at least all the rides are now standby modes no more lottery or entry passes for the meantime.

Sharon&Susan

Did they hide the old Burning Settler's cabin by adding more trees? I can't find any videos with it that aren't from over half a decade ago.

SweetDuffy101

Vote for your Favorite Mickey Mouse Birthday Celebration Design,Fan favorite Voting Ends May 17,2021. The Fan Favorite Designs Will be sold on Mickey Mouse Birthday on November 18, 2021.

One vote per day.

BasiltheBatLord

Popped into TDL today. Crowds were below average and weather was pretty good so it was nice.

Saw the new show in BatB land, it’s good. Really pretty physical sets and cool art direction. It also doesn’t spend too long on one IP and makes sure to include classic Disney IP among the more modern ones. The theater is also huge and really nice.

I’ve said this before I think but I hate the new “standby pass” system. It makes me really depressed the direction that modern theme park operation is going in. Everything has to be rigidly planned on your phone now at the sacrifice of guest choice and agency. What happened to just standing in line for something? I really hope this system is just a Corona thing and it goes away after the pandemic, but I’ve heard it won’t.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I wonder how Disney sold Pinocchio to OLC when it wasn't even being built yet at DL?

Probably on the grounds that it was new and feature a more popular character than Mr. Toad, the other dark ride character at both American Magic Kingdoms that OLC saw in the 70s.

How I wish OLC had duplicated the 2-track WDW Toad.

Sharon&Susan

Probably on the grounds that it was new and feature a more popular character than Mr. Toad, the other dark ride character at both American Magic Kingdoms that OLC saw in the 70s.

How I wish OLC had duplicated the 2-track WDW Toad.
Even a clone of DL's with some scenes from the WDW version would've been great too, just like what they did with WDW's Snow White for Tokyo. They definitely could've reimplemented the build up to the train tunnel that was even in the '55 DL version of Toad, but completely absent in the current version. The only problem with using DL's Toad as the baseline (which probably would've been the only one ever considered if they ever considered it at all) is that at DL it has the only loading station that feels implemented completely in the world of the dark ride. Bringing over DL's Toad would require the Toad Hall exterior which would've been very out of place in a tent filled Fantasyland.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Even a clone of DL's with some scenes from the WDW version would've been great too, just like what they did with WDW's Snow White for Tokyo. They definitely could've reimplemented the build up to the train tunnel that was even in the '55 DL version of Toad, but completely absent in the current version. The only problem with using DL's Toad as the baseline (which probably would've been the only one ever considered if they ever considered it at all) is that at DL it has the only loading station that feels implemented completely in the world of the dark ride. Bringing over DL's Toad would require the Toad Hall exterior which would've been very out of place in a tent filled Fantasyland.

The did elect to build Pinocchio's facade for Tokyo, so I'm sure they could have done the same for Toad Hall.

Except Disneyland's Toad Hall would be too small to cover the length of WDW ride's exterior if they were to built something closer that version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom