The DC Comics Film Thread

sedati

It's not a curse. It's a lack of quality paired with a stewardship and fandom that is quite frankly the worst.

That said, I do want to check out WW84 as the previous outing wasn't bad, and more importantly, seemed to try and distance itself from the dark trainwrecks that preceded it.

Tony Perkis

I’m from Missouri.

And your measure for success is different than mine. I’m not looking to be challenged mentally - though I would take it IF it happens. I’m looking for something that holds through the test of time for enjoyment.

Trying to tell the audience what they’ve been “missing” in a Hollywood setting is a Hard-o move destined for failure
So, you don’t want a smart Batman film from an exemplary writer/director?

Tony Perkis

If it’s good. It’s batman. Can’t forget what got you there.

And I’m not talking about Joel Schumacher
I think it’s foolish to be dismissive of something without taking the talent involved into consideration. There’s no reason to believe at this point that The Batman be will a poor movie based on the excellence of the cast and creative force.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it’s foolish to be dismissive of something without taking the talent involved into consideration. There’s no reason to believe at this point that The Batman be will a poor movie based on the excellence of the cast and creative force.

There is if you consider the incompetence of the studio.

We’ve been down this (or a similar) road before.

I’ll judge the product...skepticism is warranted.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

There is if you consider the incompetence of the studio.

We’ve been down this (or a similar) road before.

I’ll judge the product...skepticism is warranted.
The studio hasn’t meddled in its R rated ventures. Birds of Prey, Joker, and the Watchmen HBO series have ranged from good to great. James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad will also be rated R, and he’s confirmed there’s been no studio meddling.

This new Batman is not only going to be either an R rating or hard PG-13, but it isn’t even part of the DCEU.

I believe the dismissiveness is indeed unwarranted. Research the film’s production.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The studio hasn’t meddled in its R rated ventures. Birds of Prey, Joker, and the Watchmen HBO series have ranged from good to great. James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad will also be rated R, and he’s confirmed there’s been no studio meddling.

This new Batman is not only going to be either an R rating or hard PG-13, but it isn’t even part of the DCEU.

I believe the dismissiveness is indeed unwarranted. Research the film’s production.

Opinions vary. As I’m sure your say to me...or have already...many times

DKampy

The Joker and Watchmen are great...I was highly dissappointed with Birds of Prey...I felt they were holding back...it could have been pg13...they just threw in some f-bombs so they could secure the R rating.

However I do feel Matt Reeves is a good fit for The Batman and James Gunn is a good fit for The Suicide Squad...though I have my doubts they will ever do a Batman R rated movie.

As far as WW84...I felt it was nowhere near as good as the early critics made it out to be...but nowhere near as bad as the backlash is towards the flick. It's just very middling. No question the 1st WW was much better(best in dceu)...thus I can see the disappointment...but if it did not follow such greatness I think people would think it was just OK.

StarWarsGirl

Just watched Wonder Woman 1984 last night. I liked it well enough, but it's one of those movies that I felt could have been better. I felt like there was at least one gaping plot hole. But the first one was so good that the second one was a tough follow up. I'm hoping a third one will be better

erasure fan1

As far as WW84...I felt it was nowhere near as good as the early critics made it out to be...but nowhere near as bad as the backlash is towards the flick. It's just very middling. No question the 1st WW was much better(best in dceu)...thus I can see the disappointment...but if it did not follow such greatness I think people would think it was just OK.
I just watched it and I would give it a mediocre at best rating. The first, like you said, was very good. This one just didn't connect with me. Every time they did the wonder woman slow motion jump sequences and lasso swinging it just took me out of the movie. It just looked terrible in my opinion. I know a version of the dream stone is in the comics but it just made the whole movie extremely predictable. I'm really hoping this isn't a glimpse of what to expect from Rogue squadron from a film quality standpoint.

DKampy

I just watched it and I would give it a mediocre at best rating. The first, like you said, was very good. This one just didn't connect with me. Every time they did the wonder woman slow motion jump sequences and lasso swinging it just took me out of the movie. It just looked terrible in my opinion. I know a version of the dream stone is in the comics but it just made the whole movie extremely predictable. I'm really hoping this isn't a glimpse of what to expect from Rogue squadron from a film quality standpoint.
agreed about Rogue Squadron...I went from excited to Tempered

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WW84 wasn't awful... but it wasn't very good, either. So many missteps:
  • Making the mid '80s a stereotype of the 'greed is good' generation.
  • Non-powered humans being saved/attacked in such a physical manner that they surely would have been killed or had serious injuries.
  • Chris Pine's hair: Bad cut, bad dye. Wasn't anything like his host body's hair (which was dyed to be too black) nor like his World War I hair, which is what Diana is supposed to be seeing? No reason to make a hot guy look not-hot.
  • Between the extraordinary control of her lasso and casting an invisibility spell, Diana is now a wizard
  • Max Lord, the power-hungry genius is just an insecure con man who turns to good in the end (the DC Fanboys' heads are probably exploding right now)
  • When we cut to the scene where Diana finds Barbara to be secretly funny... would have been nice to see that rather than be told. Kristen Wiig is a very good comic actress, so...?
  • whatever god of lies is behind the gem would have been good to see. That's Wonder Woman's major shtick... dealing with gods. Discord (Golden Apple, goddess vanity contest, Paris of Troy, Trojan War, And Agamemnon dead) would have been perfect.
  • random rioting... like, who are all those people and what are they fighting about? And that was when only a few dozen people got wishes. Felt like the director told the extras, "OK people, you're upset and fighting and rioting, so, just run around and yell at each other."
  • Cheetah's CGI was just bad. Very bad. Looked like Zombie Cheetah. Why keep the hair? Why desaturate the color of a very prominently colored animal? The CGI battle was as bad as Black Panther v. Killmonger in the mines.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
1609137656412.png

1609137752049.png

1609137800398.png

1609137892205.png

erasure fan1

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Lets just hope we get more towards the first movie than the second.

From the response I've seen from my friends and people I talk to about comics and nerd stuff. Plus the response I've seen on social media, these scores are better than I thought they would be.
Genre fandom (such as with super hero / comic book media) tends to be more outspoken.

And when they don't like something, they take to the Internet to publicly crucify it, usually with a scorched earth policy regarding others who don't share their deep and personal rage.

By my list of it's shortcomings, one can deduce I was disappointed. But I'm not going to post a 20 minute tirade on YouTube about it. But right now, that's what most videos regarding WW84 are all about.

Which leads to another truism: extreme views tend to make themselves get more heard by others magnifying their perceived percentage of the general population. E.g., ten percent who have an extreme reaction can make their presence felt as if they were the majority. And they tend to dismiss any evidence that they aren't the majority view.

The majority of critics and audience did not score WW84 poorly enough that it was a generally 'thumbs down' movie. But they certainly didn't give it high scores either.

Go to YouTube and you'll find videos of how it's one of the worst movies ever (let alone worst super hero movie as if no one ever saw Fant4stic). I'm sure they'll explain how "everyone" hates it, too, despite evidence to the contrary.

Archie123

WW84 wasn't awful... but it wasn't very good, either. So many missteps:
  • Making the mid '80s a stereotype of the 'greed is good' generation.
  • Non-powered humans being saved/attacked in such a physical manner that they surely would have been killed or had serious injuries.
  • Chris Pine's hair: Bad cut, bad dye. Wasn't anything like his host body's hair (which was dyed to be too black) nor like his World War I hair, which is what Diana is supposed to be seeing? No reason to make a hot guy look not-hot.
  • Between the extraordinary control of her lasso and casting an invisibility spell, Diana is now a wizard
  • Max Lord, the power-hungry genius is just an insecure con man who turns to good in the end (the DC Fanboys' heads are probably exploding right now)
  • When we cut to the scene where Diana finds Barbara to be secretly funny... would have been nice to see that rather than be told. Kristen Wiig is a very good comic actress, so...?
  • whatever god of lies is behind the gem would have been good to see. That's Wonder Woman's major shtick... dealing with gods. Discord (Golden Apple, goddess vanity contest, Paris of Troy, Trojan War, And Agamemnon dead) would have been perfect.
  • random rioting... like, who are all those people and what are they fighting about? And that was when only a few dozen people got wishes. Felt like the director told the extras, "OK people, you're upset and fighting and rioting, so, just run around and yell at each other."
  • Cheetah's CGI was just bad. Very bad. Looked like Zombie Cheetah. Why keep the hair? Why desaturate the color of a very prominently colored animal? The CGI battle was as bad as Black Panther v. Killmonger in the mines.

Loved the first one. WW84 was pretty awful.

Screamface

imdb is reporting that zack snyder has no plans to make any future DC movies. finally some good news.

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman have been the best of the recent batch. By a long shot. Both those films are well above the above-average Marvel films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom