Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Chef Mickey

Not really.
Yeah, not allowing operations for Disneyland has been great for thousands of their employees! But hey, let the government take care of them with the money taken from those who actually work for a living...or better yet, let em go homeless!

Keep Disneyland closed until the last Covid case is counted and wait an extra 6 months to make sure.

Who needs to work for a living anyway?

Disone

Totally agree about the Universal resorts. They prove you can build high quality suites and charge less than the “value” resorts at Disney. It’s good that this brings to light Disney’s “provide less but charge more” mentality that they have been pushing for years..
I agree with almost everything you said here except for Disney Springs. Honestly there is no way anyone can objectively go to both Disney Springs and City walk and think that Disney Springs is the ghost town. Comparatively City walk a lot less crowded than Disney Springs it's not even a competition. The only time CityWalk it's any type of traffic is when the Park's closed and most of that traffic is just walking through it back to the garage. Some of it stops to grab something to eat.

Lilofan

I agree with almost everything you said here except for Disney Springs. Honestly there is no way anyone can objectively go to both Disney Springs and City walk and think that Disney Springs is the ghost town. Comparatively City walk a lot less crowded than Disney Springs it's not even a competition. The only time CityWalk it's any type of traffic is when the Park's closed and most of that traffic is just walking through it back to the garage. Some of it stops to grab something to eat.
Universal Citywalk is ghetto compared to DS. A few streets away is the border of Pine Hills ( aka Crime Hills ). People get shot, wounded and killed on a regular basis. One traffic light away from Citywalk a male was recently murdered outside a restaurant with the suspect still on the loose.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Not sure if you’re serious...they have a park in China and would never move their headquarters overseas. Texas makes infinitely more sense than China...many American companies have moved to Texas, so this idea isn’t foreign.

California is doing a lot of damage to Disney.
I'll be damned and here I thought that Covid was doing a lot of Damage to Disney. But, hell yea... California what's the deal with trying to keep your citizens alive. You evil state you! You know that the only reason for anybody being alive is to generate revenue no matter what the cost in human life.

jlhwdw

Universal Citywalk is ghetto compared to DS. A few streets away is the border of Pine Hills ( aka Crime Hills ). People get shot, wounded and killed on a regular basis. One traffic light away from Citywalk a male was recently murdered outside a restaurant with the suspect still on the loose.
CityWalk is not "ghetto", nor should the term "ghetto" be used at all anyway. And Pine Hills is not "a few streets away" but rather "several miles away" if you continue to drive East away from property on the side streets or Kirkman.

HongKongFooy

Universal Citywalk is ghetto compared to DS. A few streets away is the border of Pine Hills ( aka Crime Hills ). People get shot, wounded and killed on a regular basis.

I am not sure I agree with you entirely here. Your description of the proximity could mislead those wholly unfamiliar with Orlando's map.

Universal is on the edge of Dr Philips district but still inside it. To reach Pine Hills one passes through Metro West community(johnny average for housing)and then another, Orlo Vista(getting a bit rundown but still livable) and then comes the dominantly black community of the vast Pine Hills area sprinkled with Caribbean immigrants out of Haiti and Jamaica. And yes the nickname "Crime Hills" fits nicely.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to walk that due to the distance........even by bike it would be a fairly good sized ride leaving Universal to get to Pine Hills.

Last edited:

jlhwdw

I'll be damned and here I thought that Covid was doing a lot of Damage to Disney. But, hell yea... California what's the deal with trying to keep your citizens alive. You evil state you! You know that the only reason for anybody being alive is to generate revenue no matter what the cost in human life.
I'm sorry, is California doing any better with COVID numbers than Florida? And are the Florida theme parks causing massive outbreaks?

drizgirl

Not sure if you’re serious...they have a park in China and would never move their headquarters overseas. Texas makes infinitely more sense than China...many American companies have moved to Texas, so this idea isn’t foreign.

California is doing a lot of damage to Disney.
It's so ironic that the Republican Governor in FL has saved Disney's parks business while the Dem in CA is killing them.

Lilofan

I am not sure I agree with you entirely here. Your description of the proximity could mislead those wholly unfamiliar Orlando's map.

Universal is inside Dr Phillips, on the edge of that district but still inside it. To reach Pine Hills one passes through Metro West community(johny average for housing)and then another, Orlo Vista(getting a bit rundown but still livable) and then comes the dominantly black community of the vast Pine Hills area loaded with Caribbean immigrants out of Haiti and Jamaica. And yes the nickname "Crime Hills" fits nicely.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to walk that due to the distance........even by bike it would be a fairly good sized ride leaving Universal to get to Pine Hills.
Try exploring Kirkman Road which is directly outside UO and drive on Kirkman towards Colonial Drive. You may have a different point of view afterwards.

jlhwdw

Try exploring Kirkman Road which is directly outside UO and drive on Kirkman towards Colonial Drive. You may have a different point of view afterwards.
Kirkman Road outside of UO is any typical tourist district. And yes, as you drive on Kirkman and get closer to Colonial it's not a great area. But your notion of Pine Hills being a few streets away from Citywalk and Citywalk being a "ghetto" are 100% false rhetoric to try and bash Citywalk.

Lilofan

Kirkman Road outside of UO is any typical tourist district. And yes, as you drive on Kirkman and get closer to Colonial it's not a great area. But your notion of Pine Hills being a few streets away from Citywalk and Citywalk being a "ghetto" are 100% false rhetoric to try and bash Citywalk.
My experiences at City walk and Disney Springs are accurate. Issues happened at City walk where private security beat up unruly guests to restore law and order. That would not happen so far at Disney Springs. Your feedback is flawed.

SamusAranX

Having lived in the Orlando area, because of unplanned urban sprawl and rapid growth, it's not unusual to go good area > so-so area > good area > bad area and so on, right near each other. Hell, I-4 is a dividing line. The moment you cross over west, at least just south of downtown, you enter some high crime areas. While on the east side are high income, oak tree lined neighborhoods. Within miles. A literal wrong side of the tracks. I lived in Oviedo, which was really nice, but literally drive down Red Bug to 436/Semoran to Casselberry, where I lived my first six months there, and that area has a lot of sketch parts.

Disstevefan1

Terrible idea. Even if it made sense to leave California, there are far cheaper and more strategic places (like China) they could move to.
China? Wow. If TWDC was to move its headquarters, Why not Florida? It least it’s still on the US.

Moving to China, that’s both scary and funny.

DLR is closed because of China and they are rewarded by becoming the headquarters of TWDC?

Walt would be spinning in his grave if he had one....

Besides, TWDC will remain in CA. It’s just the progressive thing to do.

In another year or so, DLR will be open and mobbed as ever and COVID will be just a bad memory for those who survive it...

Lilofan

China? Wow. If TWDC was to move its headquarters, Why not Florida? It least it’s still on the US.

Moving to China, that’s both scary and funny.

DLR is closed because of China and they are rewarded by becoming the headquarters of TWDC?

Walt would be spinning in his grave if he had one....

Besides, TWDC will remain in CA. It’s just the progressive thing to do.

In another year or so, DLR will be open and mobbed as ever and COVID will be just a bad memory for those who survive it...
For the wealthy that work in Burbank, a move to FL would save them in taxes such as no state income tax and a million dollar home in Orlando will be more luxurious than the equivalent in Orange County , CA.

lazyboy97o

My experiences at City walk and Disney Springs are accurate. Issues happened at City walk where private security beat up unruly guests to restore law and order. That would not happen so far at Disney Springs. Your feedback is flawed.
Yes, there are never fights at Disney Springs, much less ones that are so loud they cause a panic because people think there are gun shots. Or pipe bombs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom