Trip Report Masksgiving: a daring escape

Okay, maybe the title is a little misleading. It wasn't all that daring...

So, the Brifraz clan made a second trip to WDW since all the re-opening. This time, a little more aware of what to expect but also a little more wary because of what we were expecting. For those who might have missed it, we headed to the World this summer for two weeks in July, just a short time after all four parks had reopened. It was certainly an odd trip - and not just because of the COVID precautions - both @MeffysMom and I had significant amounts of work that we were doing (she was taking an AP teachers course for half the trip and I was writing curriculum for a few days). We found that the limited offerings (no shows and no fireworks) were disappointing, but the limited crowds and lines were pretty refreshing. You can read all about that one if you want - July Trip Report.

As a family with three people in different local high schools, our lives are pretty much dictated by the school calendars, so upon returning from that summer trip, we all were getting ready for the unique situation that has been this school year. At the time, we didn't know whether we would be in-person, virtual, or some hybrid. So there was quite a bit of anguish and frustration in terms of planning (only augmented by the fact that I'm a music teacher and had to have three distinct plans for marching band, which should have started in early August). Eventually, our school board decided that we would be starting the year with virtual learning (our schools start after Labor Day), but moving to a hybrid model October 19th so we were planning basically a month with the virtual approach and then figuring out how to make a hybrid plan work.

Without getting into too much complaining and woe, I'll just say it was tough for all three of us. Teaching music virtually is certainly not an ideal scenario for me, my wife's school administration was changing the rules/guidelines for students on a daily basis, and our daughter was trying to cope with her senior year activities getting cancelled one-by-one. At some point in there, I began having small group/socially distant/masked but in-person marching band activity which was great for the kids but a LOT of additional work to normal for myself (and support staff). Then a couple days before we were supposed to move to the hybrid plan, the Board of Ed decided to stick with virtual for another couple weeks. So, plans all had to be re-made and adjusted and changed. Suffice to say, we were all a little stressed. Which meant, that @MeffysMom started 'relaxing' by shopping online for cheap hotel rooms at Disney so we could escape for a few days.

Now in mid-October, she found a pretty good deal on the Holiday Inn right next to Disney Springs, so we decided to go ahead and book a brief visit - driving down on the night before Thanksgiving and then leaving the Sunday after. Plans were made, ideas hatched, ideas were revised, others recent reports were read. Basically got all our ducks into rows as best we could. Then (much to our surprise), we found ourselves back in school buildings on November 5th in a hybrid model with less than half the students opting to be in the building and those spread out into two groups (so about 20% of students in person on any given day) which lasted a whopping four days. Not going to get into the politics of all of this, but the fact that our local Board of Ed is making decisions that impact over 25,000 students and 2000 teachers just a day or two before implementing them and then reversing those decisions just a day or two later... well, that causes a little stress. Sorry, I've digressed from the topic at hand which is a Disney visit, right? But, I did so for a little perspective - and to explain why, just about 10 days before our trip, we added another day to the visit with the drive now planned for Tuesday before Thanksgiving and not leaving until late Sunday night.

As expected, we now filled every moment that wasn't work (which was not nearly enough moments, for sure) with re-planning, hatching new ideas, and revising the revisions to our plans. The biggest 'concern' was the crowds. We knew it wouldn't be nearly as empty as the summer, but we had been impressed with Disney's COVID precautions at that time so we weren't too worried. So we planned accordingly and tried to figure out ways to avoid the most crowded times and places as best we could.

Tuesday, November 24th finally arrived. I failed to mention earlier that I am still doing all my virtual teaching from my school because there is no high speed internet where we live and having three of us on Google Meet at the same time just doesn't happen successfully. So, I was at my school, but left as quick as I could (my last class of the day got a little extra time to work on their own) and we managed to get ourselves on the road at about 2:30pm which meant a potential arrival in the Orlando area around 6am on Wednesday.

IMG_0157.JPG
(notice eyes are still on the road)

See you there!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry we derailed your TR.

So...if you don't do snow days with the virtual model, what happens if the power goes out in some places and certain students can't access technology?

They get marked absent. Want to see my kids attendance records??? I even got the dreaded “too many absences” letter. Sent the hubs, with all his NY tude to deal with that.
Same thing here, but there really is zero consequence to absence from virtual class. All our virtual lessons we (teachers) have to record and then post so any kids who miss for any reason can make up the work from their ‘absence.’ I have one student who has only been to my class (at 7:30am) a couple times all year, but watches the videos in the evening and does all her work and emails questions which I’m required to respond to (it has made us basically on duty every minute we are awake!).

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay... back to the task at hand! Thanksgiving day was upon us. Early wake up call at about 5:45am so that we could be at the Animal Kingdom Parking lot a few minutes before it opened a few minutes before 7:30am. As soon as we were in and parked, the gates were open and it would appear that everything was up and running. But we had to get a Thanksgiving morning picture, first!

3f425f81-03c7-4245-b809-fc8b804823f1.JPG

Our plan was for the girls to get their usual 3+ rides on Everest before the crowds started to move that direction from Pandora. But... sadly... Everest was not running. In fact, it was going to be down for most of the day (even had an apology notice on the MDE app). So we decided to head over to the Safari. While it wasn't quite open yet, it was just a few minutes before 8am when we got there and that was when it opened up.

IMG_0185.JPG

And what a great morning safari it was! Lots of animals out and about (or just awake). First I recall seeing all the dogs out and about and active.
IMG_0192.JPG

And, after seeing quite a few giraffes on the savannah, this one decided to hold up traffic for a minute.
IMG_0986.JPG

Speaking of animals who were awake and active, the lions!
IMG_0215.JPG

Pretty sure the two ladies behind him are snacking! But, the adventure wasn't done yet as we hit another bit of traffic a little further along the road - a full rhino parade was just starting across the road right next to the warthog pen.
IMG_0225.JPG

Just some great animal interaction for sure. And, we weren't done with some great animal moments! After the safari we wandered around Harambe for a few minutes until the Gorilla Falls walk was open. And the gorillas did not disappoint. At the plexiglass wall, there was just one of the younger gorillas hanging out, but then when we walked around to the open side of their area, all the gorillas were out and about and having a good time - and there was even another youngster all the way up in a tree playing!

Next up, we head across to Asia to check in on the tigers. If you have travelled along with us before, you might recall that we have a good history with them as we were at Animal Kingdom on one of the very first days when the tiger cubs were out and got to watch them play for quite a while with their mother watching over. We are a 'cat family' with three fur children, so seeing the tigers playing created a pretty significant bond. I'll see you at Pangani!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Okay... back to the task at hand! Thanksgiving day was upon us. Early wake up call at about 5:45am so that we could be at the Animal Kingdom Parking lot a few minutes before it opened a few minutes before 7:30am. As soon as we were in and parked, the gates were open and it would appear that everything was up and running. But we had to get a Thanksgiving morning picture, first!

View attachment 519376

Our plan was for the girls to get their usual 3+ rides on Everest before the crowds started to move that direction from Pandora. But... sadly... Everest was not running. In fact, it was going to be down for most of the day (even had an apology notice on the MDE app). So we decided to head over to the Safari. While it wasn't quite open yet, it was just a few minutes before 8am when we got there and that was when it opened up.

View attachment 519375

And what a great morning safari it was! Lots of animals out and about (or just awake). First I recall seeing all the dogs out and about and active.
View attachment 519379

And, after seeing quite a few giraffes on the savannah, this one decided to hold up traffic for a minute.
View attachment 519378

Speaking of animals who were awake and active, the lions!
View attachment 519380

Pretty sure the two ladies behind him are snacking! But, the adventure wasn't done yet as we hit another bit of traffic a little further along the road - a full rhino parade was just starting across the road right next to the warthog pen.
View attachment 519377

Just some great animal interaction for sure. And, we weren't done with some great animal moments! After the safari we wandered around Harambe for a few minutes until the Gorilla Falls walk was open. And the gorillas did not disappoint. At the plexiglass wall, there was just one of the younger gorillas hanging out, but then when we walked around to the open side of their area, all the gorillas were out and about and having a good time - and there was even another youngster all the way up in a tree playing!

Next up, we head across to Asia to check in on the tigers. If you have travelled along with us before, you might recall that we have a good history with them as we were at Animal Kingdom on one of the very first days when the tiger cubs were out and got to watch them play for quite a while with their mother watching over. We are a 'cat family' with three fur children, so seeing the tigers playing created a pretty significant bond. I'll see you at Pangani!

We were at AK the day before you and Everest kept going down. We had arrived later in the afternoon and never got to ride. I was bummed. Sorry your girls didn't get their 3 rides in a row in. The safari looked like a good one, I like seeing the wild dogs active too.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So as we traveled from Africa to Asia, a drive-by concert was happening so we paused to enjoy the percussion!

IMG_0232.JPG

And then it was tiger time. And... not just awake, but headed our way!
IMG_0246.jpg

And then, not just headed our way, but pacing back and forth for about 10 minutes. Then off for a little romp through the enclosure and then back to pacing back and forth in front of us. Very entertaining - and, much to our surprise, this was one of the ones that we had seen as just a kitten a few years ago!
IMG_0992.JPG

On the way back out of Animal Kingdom, we stopped off to see some other friends and... again came across a traffic jam! This one was even more slow moving than the rhinos or the giraffes.
IMG_0260.JPG

We were out of the park at about 9:30am and headed over to Disney Springs for our special Thanksgiving Dinner (at an Irish Pub, that's the American dream, right?).

After a little shopping as a family, the girls headed off to a couple more stores while I parked myself (second in line) at Amorette's. I was there at about 10am and official opening was 11am, but they opened up at 10:30am and I managed to get this friend for us to enjoy some time with later!
62810214827__EF440F49-8503-4FCA-AAA2-B488ABEC7566.JPG

Amorette's is another place we have a history with as the girls once did the Mickey Dome Cake class there and ever since we have stopped by on each trip to get something delicious! And, when we enjoyed our Grogu, while we felt a little guilty we did enjoy him! Right before Thanksgiving dinner, we did get to see this little boat parade to start the holiday season off right.
IMG_0268.JPG

At 12:30pm, it was time for a magnificent Thanksgiving Dinner at Raglan Road. While we were a little sad about the lack of entertainment, but understand that they have cut back a bit on the hours of both the dancers and the bands. But the food was excellent as always. The Thanksgiving Dinner Special, the Chicken Pot Pie, and the Fish and Chips.
IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG

And, as always, everything was excellent... and the pints of ale were delicious, too! After lunch, we headed back to the hotel for some relaxation, naps, and time hanging out by the pool.

At about 4:15pm, we headed back to Animal Kingdom for some more fun. See you back there!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, let's get back to Animal Kingdom. Rested and cleaned up and relaxed a bit more, we headed in with the knowledge that Everest was back up and running, but was listing a 60-70 minute wait pretty much since it had opened up. No problem, we can deal with a 70 minute wait! Plus, it's a queue that I really enjoy. And, I appreciate that it appears they have taken some humor from us fans calling the star "Disco Yeti." (I don't recall these signs being around a few years ago)
IMG_8202.JPG

And, it was actually about a 30 minute wait. Less than half the listed wait time is always a nice thing. And the ride with or escape from the Yeti was exciting as always (okay, maybe not quite as exciting as it was in 2006...).
IMG_0284.JPG

With Everest finally completed, we headed over to Pandora. It was just a little before 6pm when we got there and Flight of Passage was showing a 70 minute so we decided to get a quick picture and then join the line (of course, starting back on the bridge to Africa).
bc4098f9-0df8-4271-b255-76eaf73ebe6a.JPG

Take note, that the girls both had changed outfits at the hotel and were more comfortable and also more equipped for colder evening temperatures. I, on the other hand, pack one outfit a day and stick with it regardless of the situation. We were pretty hopeful that the queue would follow the same pattern as Everest, but sadly it did not. A full 70 minutes in line before flying through the Pandora wilderness. And, I must say, I'm NOT a fan of the outside portion of the queue and even less so in the dark (fairly certain a few parties cut in line during some of the confusion near the waterfall). But, ride completed just a little after 7pm, we went over to the Nomad Lounge for a light supper and some drinks.
IMG_0293.JPG

We got the beef sliders and the impossible sliders with yucca fries and were very happy with both the food and the drinks. Definitely now added to our list of choices at Animal Kingdom and the setting is definitely relaxing and beautiful. We spent a little under an hour there and then headed out of Animal Kingdom for the night. BUT, the night was not over! We headed off-site for the late evening to visit the Give Kids the World Village Lights! A couple weeks ago, the piano player from Rose and Crown (Carol) had posted about it on FB and we decided it was well worth a visit for a taste of Osbourne-y goodness as well as giving to a worthwhile charity. I'll get those lights up in the next post - and it's the weekend, so... soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Around 8:30pm we found our way to the Give Kids the World Village. This is where they house all the kids who are brought to WDW by this wonderful charity. Those houses are already very cute and adding all of the amazing lights really was a genius idea for a fund raiser. There's not much more to say about it, except to share the pictures. It was really a great way to spend the evening and kick off the beginning of the Christmas season.
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Before I post Friday morning's visit to Hollywood Studios, I need to rewind just a little bit and review our 'plans' for Friday as well as pay some serious respect to the genius of @MeffysMom. Our initial plan for Friday morning was to (of course) wake up early to get Rise of the Resistance boarding passes, then relax a little at the hotel before the 10am Studios opening. But, now that we knew that parking lots were opening about 30-45 minutes before official park opening, we had adjusted the plan to make sure we got to HS at about 9:15am. We had also heard that if you got to the parking entrance TOO early, they would make you turn around so there was the concern of a little game of chicken with the timing of the entrance.

To the rescue comes my wonderful wife! Thursday afternoon she mentions maybe getting breakfast somewhere before we head to Studios. Maybe Trattoria Al Forno at the Boardwalk - we haven't been since it was Cat Cora's place many years ago - and it looked like a nice menu. Oh, and with an early reservation there, we could park at Boardwalk and then walk to Studios... BEFORE the parking lots are even open. She's a genius. So, we booked 7:45am breakfast and that's where I'll join you later today.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Before I post Friday morning's visit to Hollywood Studios, I need to rewind just a little bit and review our 'plans' for Friday as well as pay some serious respect to the genius of @MeffysMom. Our initial plan for Friday morning was to (of course) wake up early to get Rise of the Resistance boarding passes, then relax a little at the hotel before the 10am Studios opening. But, now that we knew that parking lots were opening about 30-45 minutes before official park opening, we had adjusted the plan to make sure we got to HS at about 9:15am. We had also heard that if you got to the parking entrance TOO early, they would make you turn around so there was the concern of a little game of chicken with the timing of the entrance.

To the rescue comes my wonderful wife! Thursday afternoon she mentions maybe getting breakfast somewhere before we head to Studios. Maybe Trattoria Al Forno at the Boardwalk - we haven't been since it was Cat Cora's place many years ago - and it looked like a nice menu. Oh, and with an early reservation there, we could park at Boardwalk and then walk to Studios... BEFORE the parking lots are even open. She's a genius. So, we booked 7:45am breakfast and that's where I'll join you later today.

we did the breakfast at Trattoria too and then did the walk over to the Studios. Except we went the next day instead of Friday! I hope you enjoyed the breakfast we thought it was great. I like their pressed pot coffee.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

we did the breakfast at Trattoria too and then did the walk over to the Studios. Except we went the next day instead of Friday! I hope you enjoyed the breakfast we thought it was great. I like their pressed pot coffee

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
we did the breakfast at Trattoria too and then did the walk over to the Studios. Except we went the next day instead of Friday! I hope you enjoyed the breakfast we thought it was great. I like their pressed pot coffee.

We loved the breakfast! I'm a water drinker in the morning, so I didn't get to enjoy the coffee, but I really loved the Italian omelet. Also, really liked the open layout of the restaurant (which was about the only thing we remembered from it being Cat Cora's place). Definitely planning to visit again some time - even if it isn't for breakfast before Studios (or Epcot) opening!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We loved the breakfast! I'm a water drinker in the morning, so I didn't get to enjoy the coffee, but I really loved the Italian omelet. Also, really liked the open layout of the restaurant (which was about the only thing we remembered from it being Cat Cora's place). Definitely planning to visit again some time - even if it isn't for breakfast before Studios (or Epcot) opening!

I've gotten the Italian omelet each time I've gone, fantastic! My husband got the steak and eggs and even this morning he was lamenting at how good it was. He said it was a better breakfast than the one we had at Whispering Canyon in August and that included brisket and bacon which he loves! haha!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday morning, up bright and early for a very important Disney morning ritual - and very glad to be able to do it from the hotel room in the morning before the day really gets going.
IMG_0324.jpg

Pretty soon after securing that, we were headed to the Boardwalk for the aforementioned breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno. It was our first time visiting here in many a year and we really enjoyed the food as well as the setting. And at 7:40am, we were almost the only party in the place. I hadn't mentioned yet, but we were celebrating @MeffysMom's birthday during this trip (even though it was a few days before we arrived) and this was the day that we had actually put that information into the reservation, so we got a little treat at the end of the meal.

IMG_0327.JPG

Well fed and ready to go we hit the pavement at about 8:20am and headed to Studios. Our daughter recently bought herself a nice HS dress, so we had to get a picture on the way in.
IMG_0335.JPG

We got to the walk-up line right about 8:30am - they were holding the 'crowd' (of about 25 people) in two lines near the Skyliner station. Then at 8:45am, they began to move everyone up to the temperature check and split the crowd up into 3 lines (although there were four temp check stations, so...) and also over to the side nearer the parking lots for entrance. We realized that this was because the Skyliner was about to start running and busses were starting to arrive and they lined up all those people at the temp check stations on that side of the entry area. Just a couple minutes after 9am (bear in mind, this day was a 10am opening), we saw cars beginning to be allowed into the parking lot and at 9:10am (before anyone from those cars had made it to the line) they began to let everyone in.

We headed straight to Mickey's Runaway Railway as soon as we got inside the park (much to our surprise the majority of the early morning crowd headed toward Slinky Dog) and were on the ride by 9:15am with no wait at all.
IMG_0337.JPG

The next priority for the morning was, of course, the Tower of Terror. One of our family's favorite attractions in WDW and another one with some history as we have had some great fun early mornings on this one (in particular one morning where we were the ONLY people to head down to the Tower at park opening and had everything to ourselves). And, again of course, we needed another picture!
IMG_0340.JPG

Just doing my fatherly duty of embarrassing my daughter! And next up was Rockin' Roller Coaster, which I decided to pass on - the wait was showing 50 minutes and almost as soon as the girls got in line it jumped up to 60 minutes. It was close to 10am at this point, so I decided to try something new and different and went to hang out with Lightning McQueen for a few minutes. The attraction is actually pretty cute and I'm sure that had I been about 40 years younger it would've been awesome.
62818182662__3F2B4DE6-A7E0-43CA-8802-8B105806F7F7.JPG

When I left, I texted the girls to see their status in line, but then I saw them... just a few feet from where they had been 15 minutes earlier. Evidently RnRC had gone down and they decided to bail out on waiting it out so we headed to Galaxy's Edge to wait out our Boarding Pass and do a little shopping. And, lucky for us, it wasn't very long before we got called. Group 18 was called at 10:30am and we were in line at 10:35am. Just to give everyone a sense of timing now that they are putting 3 parties into the 'detaining cell' and splitting ride vehicles, we were in the ready room with Rey at 10:45am so the turn around time from getting called to on the ride was very quick.
IMG_1002.JPG

In fact, we were done the ride by 11:02am, so under 30 minutes total which is pretty impressive. Decided to head back out of Batuu and visit an old favorite and one of the only things that after easily 50 viewings still gets me to laugh out loud, MuppetVision 3D. Always a good time!

It was about 11:30am and we had lunch back at Disney Springs, so we headed out of the park - but did get some pictures on the way out!
e09dca37-bf24-4c96-85e7-8ceaaa20d14f.JPG

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oops, almost forgot to add that after MuppetVision 3D, on the way out, we hit Star Tours for a ride. I have to say that, as much as I enjoy the new (okay, not so new after almost 10 years) version with 'random' different sequences, it appears that since Rise of Skywalker came out we have always gotten the Rise 'version' which I'm getting a little wary of. Maybe because I had some issues with the movie... I guess it's maybe telling that I forgot to put it into the last post.

Anyway, with our car at Boardwalk, we decided to have a 'ride' for our trip to the car! We hopped on the Skyliner and rode over to Epcot and then the short walk back to our car. Always fun to see the different cars and also check out the latest progress on Remy (which is far better addressed elsewhere on here). We headed back to the room for some changes in attire and then over to Disney Springs for lunch at one of our top restaurants on site, The Boathouse. There are really 4 great draws to the Boathouse for us: inventive and high quality adult beverages, high quality staff, the pimento cheese appetizer, and the filet mignon sliders (our daughter's favorite meal just about anywhere). Okay, maybe the rest of the food is pretty awesome, too!
IMG_0362.jpg

Surprisingly, no drink with a little duck this time! But, since this was the 'birthday' of the visit (exactly one week late).
IMG_0364.JPG

After lunch, we did just a little bit more shopping around Disney Springs and then headed back to Studios, now in our more relaxed attire!

bc88b79f-d618-40c4-952a-f1ff2b3921e5.JPG

The girls still wanted to do Rockin' Roller Coaster, so they headed that way and I went for a nice walk through One Man's Dream while they waited about 40 minutes to ride (not quite sure what the wait was listed as). We regrouped around 5pm and headed back to Batuu for a ride on the Millenium Falcon. The wait was just 20 minutes at this point and with all the interest in the queue, we gladly waited! And, is any trip report complete without the obligatory picture of the Millenium Falcon?
IMG_0368.JPG

By the way, now that we have ridden a few times with just the three of us (or with another family who knows what they are doing) we pretty much always manage to get the second container of coaxium and almost every time have a brief visit to the asteroids for extended flying. We still need to get a good group of 6 together to get the ride with Chewbacca as our copilot, though!

Next up, it was over to Toy Story land to do Toy Story Midway Mania and then get in line for Slinky to be on it a little after closing. Toy Story had almost no wait at all and was enjoyable as ever (and, for perhaps the only time ever, I actually beat @MeffysMom). The wait for Slinky was about 40 minutes so we were riding just a bit after 7pm closing and then heading out of the park around 8pm to head back to the room. However, the evening wasn't complete as it was time to say farewell to this little friend...

IMG_0369.JPG

Yes, the staged photo was quite intentional! Got to sleep a bit early so we could be relaxed and ready for our Saturday morning at Universal and then full day at Epcot for lots of tastings.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Really enjoying your trip report. The Boathouse is on our "to do" list every visit. Absolutely love it for all the reasons you mentioned. I usually get the steak (don't like seafood), and husband gets some type of shrimp dish.
Can't wait to hear how Universal goes. We are big Universal fans now.

Not sure if you caught our first day when we did Islands. Hopefully I'll get Saturday's adventure posted tomorrow as we did the early morning at Universal. Even though it only has a few rides available, we love the early opening that we get with Annual Passes (or with staying on site) - especially on the IoA side with Hulk, Hogwarts, and Hagrid all open early.

Since I'm not a big thrill ride person, Universal just isn't quite my cup of tea. I have fun there with the girls and definitely enjoy the theming and ambience of the two Harry Potter areas, but I'm not big on a whole lot of the rides and have been a little underimpressed with their Covid precautions (and enforcement). Once our daughter is grown up, I doubt we will get APs there most years unless there is something new and exciting.

Minnesota disney fan

Not sure if you caught our first day when we did Islands. Hopefully I'll get Saturday's adventure posted tomorrow as we did the early morning at Universal. Even though it only has a few rides available, we love the early opening that we get with Annual Passes (or with staying on site) - especially on the IoA side with Hulk, Hogwarts, and Hagrid all open early.

Since I'm not a big thrill ride person, Universal just isn't quite my cup of tea. I have fun there with the girls and definitely enjoy the theming and ambience of the two Harry Potter areas, but I'm not big on a whole lot of the rides and have been a little underimpressed with their Covid precautions (and enforcement). Once our daughter is grown up, I doubt we will get APs there most years unless there is something new and exciting.
I must have missed your IOA report; I'll check it out!
I', not a roller coaster type person, either. But I do like all the other attractions. My husband rode RRR last time, and I can't believe he did that. He was 71 y/o and said he had a blast. I watched all those crazy people from safely below, LOL. I guess there is alot more to Universal than we have discovered. If you go to the Universal site on here there is alot of good information. Schumigirl is really good, as is Mccraven, on reporting on Universal. One of them had a fantastic report on Universal during Halloween (I think it is Schumigirl), with excellent photos of very interesting things that I have just passed by before. I want to take the time and check all of it out next time. It is not Disney, but I love that you can go where you want when you want and ride multiple times in a row if you want. It was a very relaxing visit for us, no rushing to ADR's or FP's. We also loved the level of service at RPR. They seemed to really be glad we were there, and it was strange after WDW resorts. I'd forgotten what real customer service was like at a deluxe resort. But disney will always hold a special place in my heart, and we haven't given up on it yet. :)

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, let's get back going with Saturday morning.

Following our late night Grogu feast, we got a good night's sleep and had the alarm set nice and early so that we could head to Universal Studios for the early opening at 7am. On the road at about 6:15am and into the Universal parking lot by 6:40am. And that got us into the park a few minutes before the 7am early opening so we could hit a few attractions before heading to Epcot.

And, upon working on this TR, I realized that we didn't have a single picture from the morning at Universal!! But, don't worry, I've got a bunch heading your way when we get to Epcot.

Soon as we were in Universal, we headed back to Diagon Alley so that we could ride down to the vaults of Gringott's. I rode with the girls once and then they rode a second time while I was just tooling around Diagon Alley. After the second ride, my daughter did some shopping for friends and we found ourselves pretty close to 8am when the rest of the attractions would be opening up.

We headed out of Diagon Alley and over to Men In Black. It might not be one of the best attractions around, but we certainly enjoy it and on this Saturday we were the first to ride. By the way, there is one older gentleman who is always working when we go on this one - he does a great job with the pre-show and even on this day without any pre-show, it was good to see him as he sets the MiB mood very well.

Next up was the Simpsons ride which, in my opinion, does a very good job both as a ride and as an homage to The Simpsons. Ever since it was added to Disney Plus, my daughter and I have been watching the SImpsons starting at the very beginning. We are now on season 13, which is beyond episodes that I watched the first time around, so we are having fun with that and definitely enjoy the ride.

One last stop in Universal Studios at Rip, Ride, Rockit for the girls to enjoy the big coaster. Meanwhile, I headed to the little shop next to the Shrek theater where back in the summer I had seen very quality gift that I wanted to pick up. Okay, maybe a little selfish and a gift for myself as well as for my girls. And we all shared this during the 15 hour ride home.
IMG_1046.JPG

And, a little before 9am we were out of Universal Studios and heading to Epcot!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
If you are planning a visit to Epcot any time soon, let me explain how they were doing entrance for cars (at least on 11/28) because it is VERY different from usual (at least in our experience). Park opening was scheduled for 11am and we knew that they were tending to let people in as much as an hour early, so we had left Universal early enough to get to the Epcot parking area at about 9:30am. And... weren't allowed to line-up. They sent us through the entrance and then had to turn around and back out. So, we drove around the area for just a few minutes and then tried again, at about 9:40am. As we pulled in, we could see that nobody was lined up yet, BUT there were a few cars pulled off the side of the 'road' waiting, so we joined them. I suspect if there had been too many cars the Reedy Creek Police would have put a stop to it, but with just a few of us there it didn't seem to be an issue. At 9:50am exactly, they started to allow cars to line up and almost immediately opened up the parking. Which meant that we were walking through the tapstiles just after 10am and right into an open park (yes, they opened a full hour early).

Our arrival destination was Frozen, knowing that the wait grew exponentially each day (at least according to the app). It might seem illogical, but we walked to the right upon entry and headed to World Showcase via The Land and we definitely think it was a good choice. The current pathway around the other side is much more convoluted and also much more crowded as you have all the Frozen fans in addition to all the Test Track fans. We did take our time, though, so we found ourselves getting in line for Frozen at 10:20am. The line was already showing a 20 minute wait which was pretty accurate and by the time we exited, it was showing a 60 minute wait.
aa2db081-14ce-4058-b682-30318fbba4f9.jpg

By the way, that's the only 'ride photo' from the entire trip where our daughter isn't wearing her sunglasses. It's a 'thing' with her and she was so mad that she forgot to put them on!! After our visit with Elsa, we headed right back to what we had just walked past, the Land Pavilion. Having witnessed the insanity there four days earlier, we knew that we were going to be dealing with some lines (just hopefully not still out of the pavilion). Much to our delighted surprise, at 10:50am - no lines! We waited just a few minutes for Soarin' and then no wait at all for Living with the Land. Those are definitely two of our family favorites and certainly didn't disappoint. For Soarin', we got the center of the top center section - best seats in the house! It was about 11:30am at this point and we were quite hungry - it had been a long time since Grogu!!

Back to World Showcase to start touring some of the food kiosks. But, not without a picture on the way in! And, much to our surprise when we saw the pictures later, we had been photobombed (okay, the magic shots are pretty corny, but hey it's Christmastime so we had a little fun).
26774485-448a-4ea4-87ee-dd3130ce919f.JPG

Our team lunch was the Kalua Pork from the Hawai'i kiosk, the scallops from the Yukon kiosk, the Holiday poutine from Refreshment Port and then the frozen Orange Blossom drink from the Cirtus kiosk. And... guess who forgot to get pictures of all the food. Yeah, this crew. But we did get a picture of this guy as he rode past us. And, notice the skywriting of 'love' above him (or at least half of love)!
IMG_0380.JPG

We finished up our food a little bit after noon and the crowds were definitely descending upon the food kiosks, so we decided to head back to the hotel for a little rest time and also some packing for our departure on Sunday. We'll see you back at Epcot at around 4pm for more food kiosks and other fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom