Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

Darkbeer1

Maybe he just loves Orange County?

Maybe it has more to do with the St Vincent's being leased from a private company and that private company not wanting to break their obligations to other lessees?

You mean the owner of the LA Times, someone who has strongly supported Governor Newsom and Democratic causes.

But how many private companies have been forced to close from the Governor's orders?

It would have been an easy conversion to kick out the TV production, only a couple of days to remove their equipment and trailers from the facility, and then restock the hospital like they did in April.

All for the greater good, etc.

An Actual Hospital with Actual ICU Beds is sitting in an area that has been hit by COVID stronger than most, but for some reason(s), the Governor won't use his "emergency" powers to make it happen.

Last edited:

drizgirl

You mean the owner of the LA Times, some who has strongly supported Governor Newsom and Democratic causes.

But how many private company have been forced to close from the Governor's orders?

It would have been an easy conversion to kick out the TV production, only a couple of days to remove their equipment and trailers for the facility, and then restock the hospital like they did in April.

All for the greater good, etc.

An Actual Hospital with Actual ICU Beds is sitting in an area that has been hit by COVID stronger than most, but for some reason(s), the Governor won't use his "emergency" powers to make it happen.
I guess we're all in this together. Until we're not.

el_super

But we have a Hospital being used as a pretend Hospital for TV sitting in the Heart of LA.

No. You have a bankrupted medical facility being leased out to the highest bidder. Spending the money to lease the facility does not magically turn it into a hospital, unless all those actors are REALLY good at what they do.

Take the funds and staffing for Fairview, and shifting them to a True Medical facility, one that has true Medical Beds and a working set of ICU beds.

ICU beds are worthless without the staff, and the staff is what is at a premium right now. Not the beds.

Fairview is being spun up, as you even admitted above, for STABILIZED COVID patients that still require attention, but not ICU level care. The staff being used at Fairview, are not qualified to staff an ICU bed. Even if you moved the same staff and the same funding over to St Vincent, you would still have the same level of care and the ICU beds (if there are any available - some folks online believe they were leased as well) would be worthless.

el_super

You want the governor to use his emergency powers to shut down a business (the film studio) and invalidate a legally binding lease between two parties? Honestly, if it would help, I am all for it. The more emergency powers the better... right?

I still don't know where the staff is going to come from.

Also: how do you know that the ICU beds are still just sitting there unused? I read up on St Vincent's and it looks like they had leased more ICU beds back when they spun it up in March. The hospital was bankrupt prior to that, so I would assume some effort was being made to relocate/resell valuable medical equipment before the pandemic struck. The state only leased it for six months, but closed it after 2. So presumably those ICU beds were removed when the hospital was decommissioned in May.

el_super

1607810460364.png

1607810472538.png

ICU capacity now at 1.7%

MoonRakerSCM

Just went shopping for a soup I'm making tomorrow, a creamy tomato chicken, spinach, and tortellini soup. The hip kids online call it "The Soup". Grabbed a digiorno pizza for an early dinner tonight. Stater Bros was packed!

Before that I went to Dicks to get some proper pants and waterproof spray for my boots for my upcoming Montana trip. It's going to cold as heck up there...

On the home front though my drink around the world shirts have arrived for my WDW trip next week... 7days from right now Mickey will be sweeping my passed out body from the floor of the France Pavilion.

TP2000

Original Poster
Just went shopping for a soup I'm making tomorrow, a creamy tomato chicken, spinach, and tortellini soup. The hip kids online call it "The Soup". Grabbed a digiorno pizza for an early dinner tonight. Stater Bros was packed!

Before that I went to Dicks to get some proper pants and waterproof spray for my boots for my upcoming Montana trip. It's going to cold as heck up there...

On the home front though my drink around the world shirts have arrived for my WDW trip next week... 7days from right now Mickey will be sweeping my passed out body from the floor of the France Pavilion.

Sitting on a bench in Solvang resting while friends are browsing. Sunny and crisp and gorgeous, and the town is packed full of Christmas shoppers. Solvang is purposely not obeying Newsom's orders because the Christmas shopping season is too important for their livelihoods. Mostly decades-old family small businesses here, no big chains. Pea Soup Andersen's is the big dog in town, not Applebee's or WalMart.

Also, checked in early to the hip little hotel and wasn't asked if we were "first responders". It's obvious just by looking that my crowd isn't going to be the first to respond to anything, except maybe Happy Hour. :cool:

Darkbeer1

More Orange County restaurants decide to stay open, declaring their views on Instagram – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>More Orange County restaurant owners were joining the ranks of a mini-movement to defy the state’s latest stay-at-home order, adding their names to a list of bars and eateries on Instagram that had grown to 63 by Saturday, Dec. 12.

The list, under the hashtag #OpenSafe, ranged from fine dining establishments to mom-and-pop diners that pledged to follow safety guidelines set by the state but which are banding together in their views and staying open.

Some restaurateurs are calling it a protest but others, such as Ed Patrick, owner of Gabbi’s Mexican Kitchen in Orange and Chaak Kitchen in Tustin, say they’re just doing what they need to do to survive. “We’re just getting by and people are supporting us, which is nice,” he said.

A much-lauded fine dining establishment which has been dubbed a “discoveries” restaurant by Michelin in 2020, Chaak has a retractable roof and outdoor patio, and Patrick is welcoming diners in both spaces. His reasoning, like many taking this stand, is largely employee driven.

“Between both restaurants, there are 98 employees, and what? I’m going to put them out of a job right before Christmas?” he said. “From what I understand, L.A. is going to end their suspension on the 20th. I think L.A. is going to open back up for outdoor dining. And when that happens, everybody’s back to the same thing that was going on before.”

JC Clow, a founder of The Winery restaurants in Tustin, Newport Beach and San Diego, agrees that L.A. will open up soon and so will the rest of the state.

“I think in the very near future, you’re going to see the California Restaurant Association be victorious in their lawsuit against Sacramento. And you are going to see a return to outdoor dining, depending on the schedule of the courts, possibly before the end of the month,” he said. The association filed suit in Los Angeles County Superior Court, seeking to block the outdoor dining ban until county health officials provide more evidence about the COVID risks.

Clow does not consider remaining open a protest and was quick to point out that he has not made comments on social media calling attention to his decision.

The Winery was not on the Instagram list of restaurants, which was placed next to the posting of a protest letter penned by Jeff Chon, CEO and founder of Oak & Coal in Costa Mesa and five locations of Tabu Shabu in Southern California. Chon posted a video on the subject that now has more than 40,000 views and shared his letter with colleagues in the industry who agreed and have reposted it.

Chon makes it clear that he is not political and he’s not anti-mask. The letter titled “Declaration of Safe Responsible Service Non-Partisan Coalition of Small Business Owners,” says, “We, as responsible small business owners and operators, do hereby declare our intention to protest the current state stay home order.”

Diego Velasco, executive chef and founder of Memphis Cafe in Costa Mesa, said he had planned to join the protest, but he quickly reversed his decision when code enforcement showed up twice to his place of business.

“It was a really difficult decision when we decided to band with the restaurants and Open Safe, and hopefully have some wolf pack mentality,” he said. “Code enforcement was at our door and we weren’t even open, we heard from a neighboring restaurateur. The next morning, code enforcement was at our door again before we were even open for lunch. … So, we reversed our stance. We had this imminent threat of being targeted. And I don’t know why.” he said, pointing to some restaurants that have been continuing to operate on-premises dining with seemingly no sanctions.

Many restaurateurs are concerned about losing revenue during the holidays, a particularly busy time of year that is typically followed by a fallow period. Clow said he has spent tens of thousands of dollars on safety and outdoor dining equipment. His decision is a level-headed look at the numbers, he said.

“Not only did we adhere to the county guidelines, the state and CDC guidelines, we went above and beyond,” he said. “A lot of businesses are hanging on by threads. And not to have that income for December? It’s just a killer.”<<

Stevek

Sitting on a bench in Solvang resting while friends are browsing. Sunny and crisp and gorgeous, and the town is packed full of Christmas shoppers. Solvang is purposely not obeying Newsom's orders because the Christmas shopping season is too important for their livelihoods. Mostly decades-old family small businesses here, no big chains. Pea Soup Andersen's is the big dog in town, not Applebee's or WalMart.

Also, checked in early to the hip little hotel and wasn't asked if we were "first responders". It's obvious just by looking that my crowd isn't going to be the first to respond to anything, except maybe Happy Hour. :cool:
I feel bad for my second home in Big Bear...they are following the rules and this is a peak season for them as well. Businesses have and will continue to suffer up there.

truecoat

Last edited:

Supreme Leader

I guess not everyone gets the experimental drugs at the White House. The White House chief of security lost

What if you are involved in a car accident? Waiting 4 hours in an ambulance might be too long. Why didn’t someone warn us about this.
Didn't you hear? That's that evil socialized medicine that the GOP doesn't want us common folk to have. The folks in the White House get that federally funded, government paid socialized medicine while bodies lay in the trucks outside the over-crowded hospitals. 'murica.

truecoat

Didn't you hear? That's that evil socialized medicine that the GOP doesn't want us common folk to have. The folks in the White House get that federally funded, government paid socialized medicine while bodies lay in the trucks outside the over-crowded hospitals. 'murica.

Not the head of White House security. Lost a toe on one leg and his other was amputated at the knee due to complications of COVID 19. He now has a gofundme to pay for his bills?

Supreme Leader

Not the head of White House security. Lost a toe on one leg and his other was amputated at the knee due to complications of COVID 19. He now has a gofundme to pay for his bills?
Welp. Honestly, I didn't read the article so I'll proudly wear this egg on my face. As for the head of White House security, I'll leave a quote from the president, "It is what it is..."
*But I do hope their able to recover and get back on their feet.

TP2000

Original Poster
I was at Target last night around 10:30pm before my milkshake stop and it was quite busy. Targets in OC are staying open until Midnight because it's Christmas and apparently the 10pm statewide curfew doesn't apply to big box stores (or milkshakes)??? What a joke that even Target knows it's a fake "curfew". :rolleyes:

After visiting a packed Solvang over the weekend and seeing some very busy malls and big stores in OC the last few days I'm really surprised that Downtown Disney still clings to their $10 parking fee! TDA really doesn't seem to want to give up on that money, do they?

Here's a quick video from yesterday that shows just how empty and desolate Downtown Disney/Buena Vista Street is, compared to all the busy malls and big box stores with only 10 days until Christmas!
I'm convinced the $10 parking (with a free half mile walk included!) is the culprit in the collapse of Downtown Disney's business.

fctiger

I was at Target last night around 10:30pm before my milkshake stop and it was quite busy. Targets in OC are staying open until Midnight because it's Christmas and apparently the 10pm statewide curfew doesn't apply to big box stores (or milkshakes)??? What a joke that even Target knows it's a fake "curfew". :rolleyes:

After visiting a packed Solvang over the weekend and seeing some very busy malls and big stores in OC the last few days I'm really surprised that Downtown Disney still clings to their $10 parking fee! TDA really doesn't seem to want to give up on that money, do they?

Here's a quick video from yesterday that shows just how empty and desolate Downtown Disney/Buena Vista Street is, compared to all the busy malls and big box stores with only 10 days until Christmas!
I'm convinced the $10 parking (with a free half mile walk included!) is the culprit in the collapse of Downtown Disney's business.

What anchors DTD really are the restaurants. As far as I can tell, most people who go there is to eat first, shop second (unless there is something big they are looking for). For me, DTD died once the movie theater was removed. That was the #1 reason why we went. But after that, it's eating, which we did on Thanksgiving. And again I don't eat there much and when we did, usually it was before or after a movie. But now, it's only the shops and yeah, with the $10 parking fee, even less motivated to go.

At the very least, why not offer a validation like the old days and whatever you buy you get two hours free or something. Or just let the first hour be free? It will get more people going and most will probably buy something being so close to Christmas.

TP2000

Original Poster
What anchors DTD really are the restaurants. As far as I can tell, most people who go there is to eat first, shop second (unless there is something big they are looking for). For me, DTD died once the movie theater was removed. That was the #1 reason why we went. But after that, it's eating, which we did on Thanksgiving. And again I don't eat there much and when we did, usually it was before or after a movie. But now, it's only the shops and yeah, with the $10 parking fee, even less motivated to go.

At the very least, why not offer a validation like the old days and whatever you buy you get two hours free or something. Or just let the first hour be free? It will get more people going and most will probably buy something being so close to Christmas.

Agreed.

Although I could be funny and remind us all that what anchors DTD is Disneyland. :D

There's no theme parks, no hotels, no convention center, and now no restaurants. It has the only paid parking of any mall in OC, even Pacific City has free parking now. And you have to walk a half mile in from a distant parking lot for the privilege of paying $10 to park.

The only reason I think anyone is still going to Downtown Disney is for limited edition Disneyland merchandise at World of Disney or Buena Vista Street, and maybe to just walk around with the kids and look at the lights and the Christmas decorations.

My hunch is that TDA is hoping the restaurant ban doesn't last too much longer into January and they can go back to this past fall's busy dining scene. Thus, they don't want to drop the $10 parking fee now just to reinstate it in a few weeks and confuse folks. Still, I bet they wished they hadn't started charging for parking a few months ago!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom