News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

_caleb

I agree. And there are many people who oppose the changes because they’re somewhere between annoyed and terrified about the move toward inclusion and diversity. After all, where will it end?
Yeah. I've put some effort into listening and understanding in this thread. @Brer Oswald (and others) have helped me understand that they're not afraid of inclusion and diversity, but things done in the name of inclusion and diversity that really aren't about inclusion and diversity.

SamusAranX

I agree! Great points.

I think there's a balance there (between making money/pleasing shareholders and being good stewards in society). I think Walt, though a shrewd businessman, leaned toward the stewardship side. And I think someone at the top (someone I don't dare praise on these boards) got to the end of his tenure very happy with his legacy on the moneymaking side, but not so proud of the stewardship side.

The irony is that Walt did set out to be a "steward" with SotS. He specifically brought in a Jewish-American producer (someone who could empathize with being a minority and experiencing discrimination) as he didn't want the film to be "Uncle Tomish" and full of racism. (his words, not mine; I am not being sarcastic, I just know some don't like that term, so I want that to be clear in my usage). Unfortunately, despite his efforts, prejudices of the day and societal pressure still led to SotS exhibiting some unsettling elements.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yeah. I've put some effort into listening and understanding in this thread. @Brer Oswald (and others) have helped me understand that they're not afraid of inclusion and diversity, but things done in the name of inclusion and diversity that really aren't about inclusion and diversity.
If an action helps to achieve inclusion and diversity, the fact that it was also or even primarily motivated by the desire for good PR is fine with me.

_caleb

It doesn't take a poll to determine this is not a popular change. This is a move to placate a squeaky wheel, and my original point is that if you look around, anything can be offensive if you let it.
Why spend all the time/money and relational capital with fans to placate a squeaky wheel? Do you think Disney is expecting the offended people to flock to the parks and spend inordinate amounts of money as a result of the changes?

NelsonRD

Why spend all the time/money and relational capital with fans to placate a squeaky wheel? Do you think Disney is expecting the offended people to flock to the parks and spend inordinate amounts of money as a result of the changes?
I don't know what the intentions are.

_caleb

If an action helps to achieve inclusion and diversity, the fact that it was also or even primarily motivated by the desire for good PR is fine with me.
I think this is my position, too. (I say "I think" because while I'm fine with the changes and looking forward to PatF in the parks, I'm still processing why that's the case!)

_caleb

The irony is that Walt did set out to be a "steward" with SotS. He specifically brought in a Jewish-American producer (someone who could empathize with being a minority and experiencing discrimination) as he didn't want the film to be "Uncle Tomish" and full of racism. (his words, not mine; I am not being sarcastic, I just know some don't like that term, so I want that to be clear in my usage). Unfortunately, despite his efforts, prejudices of the day and societal pressure still led to SotS exhibiting some unsettling elements.
I think the fact that Disney knew from the beginning it would be a challenge to get the film right is why the company hasn't stood behind it since they vaulted it.

Chi84

Premium Member
This change isn’t going to affect Disney’s bottom line in any way. I suspect it’s only a very small subset of people who care about the reason for the re-theme. Even if it’s done poorly and fewer people ride it (unlikely), it’s a non-issue from a money standpoint.

SamusAranX

I think the fact that Disney knew from the beginning it would be a challenge to get the film right is why the company hasn't stood behind it since they vaulted it.

Perhaps. He also picked a time when the 'Lost Cause' interpretation of the Civil War was still promulgated as a serious historical school of thought amongst many academic circles. Basically, he couldn't have picked a worse time to make a movie such as SotS

_caleb

I don't know. All I am saying is anybody can be offended at any time, and this move seems less popular than productive.
If you take Disney's words at face value, these changes are steps in their ongoing efforts to get rid of anything that would exclude guests. They determined that Splash Mountain deserved to go on the list of attractions that needed to be changed as they work towards this goal. Weathering the backlash and making the changes seem like progress in that direction to me.

From my perspective, doing what you think is right even in the face of strong opposition is leadership.

_caleb

Perhaps. He also picked a time when the 'Lost Cause' interpretation of the Civil War was still promulgated as a serious historical school of thought amongst many academic circles. Basically, he couldn't have picked a worse time to make a movie such as SotS
Right!

Which brings us back to the idea that Disney should remake Song of the South, but properly this time.

I used to think a remake was a terrible idea. But after interacting with folks in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that it would be a wonderful opportunity for Disney to acknowledge the problems with the film, show that they understand what was wrong with it, and make it right.

It also could have saved the animated characters.

Chi84

Premium Member
Right!

Which brings us back to the idea that Disney should remake Song of the South, but properly this time.

I used to think a remake was a terrible idea. But after interacting with folks in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that it would be a wonderful opportunity for Disney to acknowledge the problems with the film, show that they understand what was wrong with it, and make it right.

It also could have saved the animated characters.
That’s not the business Disney is in. No reason for them to do this. The key words there are “folks in this thread.”

_caleb

That’s not the business Disney is in. No reason for them to do this. The key words there are “folks in this thread.”
Disney isn't in the business of remaking films? Seems to me they're on a roll remaking movies with more diverse casts, writers, producers, and directors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom