News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

The big quirks of gondola systems that they they mostly have to operate in straight lines. You can’t do mostly straight lines with a gondola without cutting through BC.
As I said above, you can, just by going north from Riviera across BVD, and running along the north side of BVD and across OKW. All that's needed is a turn station at BVD & Backstage, or in the cast parking lot there. They could even put in an OKW intermediate station.

Now, I'm not arguing that such a line is likely or worthwhile, but it is feasible.
1606169392859.png

Creathir

Long term, there is no plans for the Skyliner to go towards Disney Springs. The only way that would happen would be if it was 100% funded by Bonnet Creek Resorts, and they are doing just fine with buses.

The big quirks of gondola systems that they they mostly have to operate in straight lines. You can’t do mostly straight lines with a gondola without cutting through BC. There are other transportation options that can go around and follow Buena Vista. Those are the ones being looked at for an eventual Springs connection.
PeopleMover would be my vote

bpiper

Unless the train replaces DME, which doesn't appear to be likely at this time, I doubt you'll see hundreds of passengers disembarking at WDW from a single train. These would only be travelers arriving from South Florida or the Treasure Coast. I would think perhaps a few dozen per train.

The current 4-car trains seat 248. There has been speculation that they may increase the train length by one or two cars after the Orlando extension opens, but many riders will be getting off at MCO or SunRail, and many others will be continuing to Tampa once the line is completed.
Not if Disney contracted with Brightline to run dedicated shuttle trains that just go back and forth to the airport. That would solve capacity and frequency issues.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We definitely need more threads about an MCO rail line!!!

Lift Blog

If they would just call in Elon we could do 20K for real in his tunnels. Could you imagine coming out like on the spout of a whale? They could theme it to Monstro
Elon outbid Doppelmayr in Las Vegas and won. The result is not pretty.

techgeek

Elon outbid Doppelmayr in Las Vegas and won. The result is not pretty.

Elon has picked up a fair bit of critical press over a transit system that hasn’t even opened yet in a major tourism destination.

On one hand, that sounds pretty familiar to the early apocalyptic visions passed around regarding everyone’s favorite non air conditioned gondola system .. and for the most part Skyliner has proven itself, albeit with a not insignificant break-in period.

I understand the math presented in the TechCrunch article, but I have a hard time believing Boring Co. has come this far and simply missed the obvious bottlenecks they are pinning their doom and gloom on. I’ve been following the project since the bid and am as curious as anyone to see how it all actually works out... I can’t imagine using stock model 3’s is the final final plan, at least without heavy modifications. I’m sure the system is going to have growing pains and lots of kinks to work out... but really you’d bet against Elon eventually coming through, in Vegas??

Maybe Lady Luck is with them in that they won’t have to deal with true Vegas convention crowds for some time.

Magic Feather

The Vegas loop is essentially a hastily made version of a PRT system with Musk's existing assets. Some of the original concepts were truly innovative, but as the article says, the system is down to an unscalable maximum of 1200 pph. The proposed idea of adding buses to the system really cannot come soon enough.

For reference, imagine if Peter Pan's Flight was responsible for moving hundreds of conventioneers during a rush. Between that and the "novelty" of this "new and innovative" system (which has devolved into designated Tesla Tunnels) drawing people out to ride just for fun, I forsee LVCC kicking themselves for not taking Doppelmayr's bid.

techgeek

The Vegas loop is essentially a hastily made version of a PRT system with Musk's existing assets. Some of the original concepts were truly innovative, but as the article says, the system is down to an unscalable maximum of 1200 pph. The proposed idea of adding buses to the system really cannot come soon enough.

For reference, imagine if Peter Pan's Flight was responsible for moving hundreds of conventioneers during a rush. Between that and the "novelty" of this "new and innovative" system (which has devolved into designated Tesla Tunnels) drawing people out to ride just for fun, I forsee LVCC kicking themselves for not taking Doppelmayr's bid.

I’m willing to suspend judgment until we see real world results. The TechCrunch article has been criticized as a hit piece, of which Elon draws no shortage of in all his endeavors.

I recently read this counterpoint (granted, tealarati is unabashedly pro-Elon) to many of the capacity criticisms and find the simulation data intriguing

LVCC does not seem to be in panic mode over the project, rather the opposite as they are advancing an extension of the system to downtown for the consideration of the city:

Combined with a new project seemingly ready to break ground in Austin, that’s a lot of faith being tossed around for a system that hasn’t even entered service yet, but it has to have a basis in certain assumptions that are already apparent to the involved parties. If nothing else, you can triple the infrastructure and dig miles of additional tunnel for a fraction of the time and costs of a conventional system, which was the whole point in the first place.

I try not to be an Elon fanboy, and have issues with him personally... but his record so far on innovation like this is clearly unmatched. As a lifelong fan of the WED / PRT concept of mass transit, in personally think it’s very exciting that the core concepts may finally after all these years be coming to fruition. Time will tell if it’s a success or not, but that Tesla stock wound up to be a pretty good gamble.

gerarar

Premium Member
According to the site that shall not be named, the Skyliner went down yesterday (11/29) due to a power outage for about 2 hours around 5:30 - 7:30pm, with guests on board. And once it resumed, the Skyliner was running on “generator power”.

I couldn’t find any tweets from any guests that actually got stuck on it, but here’s a tweet from another ‘source’ about it:

TiggerDad

According to the site that shall not be named, the Skyliner went down yesterday (11/29) due to a power outage for about 2 hours around 5:30 - 7:30pm, with guests on board. And once it resumed, the Skyliner was running on “generator power”.

I couldn’t find any tweets from any guests that actually got stuck on it, but here’s a tweet from another ‘source’ about it:

If the Skyliner goes down without any YouTubers around, does it really count?

HarperRose

I want to know why it took them over two hours to start the back-up generator.

gerarar

Premium Member
I want to know why it took them over two hours to start the back-up generator.
Maybe they were diagnosing the problem? Or they had to call in (additional and knowledgeable) people to get the generators up and running?

Has there ever been a time where the power went out for the Skyliner? I can't recall, so this may be a first true test of it

Disstevefan1

Ah, life is getting back to normal, folks getting stuck on the skyliner for two hours like the good old days (2019) 😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom