John Boyega accuses Disney of pushing his Star Wars character aside

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was it an outright lie? Probably not. I bet they did talk about it. Brainstorming and creative idea meetings tend to hit most all, well what if this happens. Was it a real contender? I doubt it. It seems to me it came to be after they let Rian do whatever he wanted. We all know that if it was an actual scenario, we would have had some hint Palps was around.
...dude

erasure fan1

Well, it's true. And it shows just how inept they were in this whole thing. I have no doubts that JJ had thrown Palps around as a potential scenario. I don't think that ever was a frontrunner. At least not until they went and baked a dung muffin. Then they had no choice because the emperor was the least terrible of the terrible ideas. Don't worry, I think I'm still in your boat as to how the sequels played out. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, it's true. And it shows just how inept they were in this whole thing. I have no doubts that JJ had thrown Palps around as a potential scenario. I don't think that ever was a frontrunner. At least not until they went and baked a dung muffin. Then they had no choice because the emperor was the least terrible of the terrible ideas. Don't worry, I think I'm still in your boat as to how the sequels played out. ;)
JJ has been shown to be a tool in it for a payday...

What “lifelong Star Wars fanatic” writes and shoots a straight up remake?? Nobody ever had the gall to ask such a basic question...but I will.

And Disney had not the slightest clue how to handle any of this...I’m sure there’s some Greek tragedy of good intentions behind it...but the scoreboard is what it is at the end of the game.

I’ll not be kind in staring at the failure. There’s no point.

Wendy Pleakley

Is this thread about John Boyega, or is it thread number 212 for people to air their Star Wars grievances?

Speaking of which, Dave Filoni has some interesting observations about the prequels he shares in the Mandalorian making-of series. He makes some good points about the story arc of the prequels and the importance of Qui-Gon Jinn to the story, a character I always felt distracted from what I felt should have been the story of Anakin and Obi-Wan...

GimpYancIent

Is this thread about John Boyega, or is it thread number 212 for people to air their Star Wars grievances?

Speaking of which, Dave Filoni has some interesting observations about the prequels he shares in the Mandalorian making-of series. He makes some good points about the story arc of the prequels and the importance of Qui-Gon Jinn to the story, a character I always felt distracted from what I felt should have been the story of Anakin and Obi-Wan...
Boyega who?

Darkprime

I wonder why he turned down their offer for a spin-off on Disney+ then? Remember his whole "you cant disney plus me" quote? If he wasn't happy with how he was treated on the movies why not jump at the chance to do a spin-off and dive deeper into the character of Finn?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder why he turned down their offer for a spin-off on Disney+ then? Remember his whole "you cant disney plus me" quote? If he wasn't happy with how he was treated on the movies why not jump at the chance to do a spin-off and dive deeper into the character of Finn?

Because there’s is no “character”

As an actor, why would you typecast yourself even more into a failed role?

doctornick

I rather liked Finn as a character and am disappointed that Boyega feels this way. I would have absolutely loved to have seen something like a Finn/Poe Disney+ series (whether set pre or post Episode IX) as they are both characters that were interesting and likable but just underdeveloped.

Like the rest of the ST characters, Finn was significantly featured in the Lego Holiday Special including

making it clear that Finn is Force sensitive and training to be a Jedi

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I rather liked Finn as a character and am disappointed that Boyega feels this way. I would have absolutely loved to have seen something like a Finn/Poe Disney+ series (whether set pre or post Episode IX) as they are both characters that were interesting and likable but just underdeveloped.

Like the rest of the ST characters, Finn was significantly featured in the Lego Holiday Special including

making it clear that Finn is Force sensitive and training to be a Jedi

they are basically discarding everything about those movies...if Disney is moving on - we should too.

They’re known to be stubborn about their products. It didn’t work.

Screamface

That's a pretty big character detail that (call me crazy) would have been better displayed during a major motion picture rather than a Lego special.

After the second film ignored what was being set up, there wasn't room to explore it, unfortunately. That's what happens when you have conflicting writers and directors.

This is exactly why John is annoyed, he signed on to be a "Mother F***ing" Jedi and then the next writer relegated him to comic relief.

Tony the Tigger

That's a pretty big character detail that (call me crazy) would have been better displayed during a major motion picture rather than a Lego special.
I mean, it was hinted at.

IX should have been done in two parts like the last Potter. They didn’t have enough time to wrap things up.

And if they had the character development of the original three, this would all be moot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

IX should have been done in two parts like the last Potter. They didn’t have enough time to wrap things up.

And if they had the character development of the original three, this would all be moot.

I mean...they really didn’t have anything. Let’s be honest.

It was a bad idea from the start. It’s still hard to believe...but they did it. The Bob Iger lead all powerful Disney made obvious mistakes that were not hard to avoid.

LSLS

Didn't abrams want to do that? I dont think it fixed a lot of the issues, but it would have turned out better if they did.

Also, call me crazy, but I actually hate the idea of finn being a force guy. I think it takes away from the main protagonist having those abilities, and honestly don't see a need for him to have it to be important. The problem was he became an afterthought in 8, not that he didn't have those powers.

Screamface

Didn't abrams want to do that? I dont think it fixed a lot of the issues, but it would have turned out better if they did.

Also, call me crazy, but I actually hate the idea of finn being a force guy. I think it takes away from the main protagonist having those abilities, and honestly don't see a need for him to have it to be important. The problem was he became an afterthought in 8, not that he didn't have those powers.

There was rumours/leaks JJ wanted to split it into two. Although there were stacks of crazy rumours, but this one is believable.

Finn being force sensitive would help explain him breaking free from his brain washing. If you look at TFA with a charitable lens, something many people are not willing to do. There's the possibility of many interesting stories being set up.

In the final Kylo vs Rey fight. Finn takes a stoic pose to fight Kylo after finding Rey unconscious.

When Rey takes up the blade after Finn is injured, she's struggling but then she has her, "let the force moment." Afterwards she is full of rage and anger. Suggesting she's tapped into the dark side of the force. Kylo's reaction is one of being scared. Rey completely mirrors Luke tapping into his anger in the Throne Room, but she never pulls back from it.

The seed's are planted there for Rey to go dark. The former Storm Trooper turned Jedi to be in the light. People picked up on this at the time. It's easy to say JJ didn't know Star Wars, the Jedi but if you assume he wasn't completely unaware. There's definitely groundwork being laid.

In TROS, JJ clearly is dumping a whole bunch of ideas for his trilogy through out it. Almost like he's saying, "Don't blame me for this trilogy, I had a whole bunch of idea. Blame the other guy."So it's like, "Rey could have gone dark, here's a picture of that. Finn is force sensitive." It's probably not coming completely out of no where.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom