Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

JoeCamel

There are moves afoot to create a new mega theme park in South East England. Oh how wonderful it would be if Joe's new availability in the job market landed him the chief Imagineering role in a whole new, non-Disney International Park in the UK.
Not exactly mega and I would believe it when it opens. The Paramount park has been mired for years with multiple partners and owners.
The guy is 65, how long to you want him to punch a clock?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My guess is a combination of not wanting to be 72 cutting the next land opening ribbon and being Baxtered

I would agree with you. Here’s what came to mind as the “options”:

1. Legit retirement (least likely)
2. Straight can/cost cutting or a notice that it’s him and/or a lot of other staff. (Second most likely)
3. Notice from the overlords that current economic conditions will “vastly limit capex possibilities over the intermediate future”. Ending the spending for gain and blaming covid. (A very likely possibility)
4. Mixture of all 3

Figments Friend

When I heard about this earlier today from a cohort that it was making the rounds online, all I could think of was all the talk we had here on the Forum about a month ago of this very thing happening.
So no big surprise from me.
Saw it coming, as I'm sure others out there did.

And I didn't realize the term 'Baxtered' has become a thing now....

-

The Empress Lilly

A punch in the gut. Rohde brought a unique style to WDI and WDW. Authentic, anthropologistic, with a mastery of artefacts and visual cues, creating worlds to be slowly explored intellectually and visually.

Rohde's style is an acquired taste for me, but as these tend to do, I am now firmly converted.

DAK now represents what a modern WDW could be like if it still aimed high. His little southwest kingdom of DAK and Lodge feel secluded from the infantilisation that has befallen the rest of WDW. In my heart, I think I realise what will happen next.

RSoxNo1

He wasn’t perfect (Guardians Tower), but he was the last high-level person who “got it” (all of DAK).

This is a sobering day for WDI. They’ll still produce decent attractions, but their time of being head-and-shoulders above competitors has ended. Expect to see more “Yes, but...” attractions rather than “Yes, and...” The cuts will continue to be noticeable.

So long, Joe. We’ll miss you.
I refuse to condemn him for the Guardians Tower. He made a ride better in a project that I'm sure he didn't ask to do.

I suspect Lighthouse Point was delayed and he didn't want to wait around for another 5+ years.

Dutch Inn '76

I know many believe he was pushed out. Maybe he was but I am not sold on that. Joe is one of those within the company that sort of is untouchable in many cases. Joe likes adventure too. I wouldn't be surprised if this was truly his decision and he wanted to do new things. He is a world traveler, artist, designer, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he consults on future projects as well.
Yes yes. When I'm 65, I will certainly be looking for the door...

The Empress Lilly

Rohde several months ago already was covertly but publicly philosophising about his life and future. Realising that his number of productive years are now limited and needed to be carefully used.

There seems to be truth to his personal motives to move on. No large project at TWDC for the near future, while meanwhile this is his last chance to explore other interests. Baxter is a Disney man, he lived to design rides and tweak DL. Rohde's interests by contrast aligned with Disney almost accidentally, his creative interests are more varied. Their retirements are not necessarily equally a matter of being shown the door.

Puzzlingly though, Rohdes big projects were completed in 2017, so for three years his basic position has been the same. Time ticking away, with no new half a decade pet project in the pipeline. Pushed out after all, or despondent at Covid ending any hopes of a last inspired new project at WDI?

Brer Oswald

I think the legacy is “complicated”...to say the least.

I’m too lazy to read...so forgive if this is repetitive:
Anyone have a theory on what exactly happened?

I see 4 possibilities.
This is just me extrapolating based on information tossed around here a month ago, as well as the current financial status of the company.

The “Uh Oh Joe” thread about him getting let go was made last October by the same user who called Tom Sawyer Island Closing (it didn’t, but jury is still out) and Little Mermaid Live on Stage at DHS closing (it did). Someone in the thread mentioned that they’d doubt Disney would just fire him, and would set him up with a nice retirement plan he wouldn’t be inclined to refuse, while nudging him out the door.

I presume this was the case. I’d imagine if he was just let go, the DisTwitter crowd would get loud and ugly, and Disney knows that. So frame it as a retirement of his own choosing. The fans are none the wiser, as is the case with most announcements. The worst they have to deal with is a couple of stupid memes about the Yeti and the parks being doomed by Chapek, which I’m sure Iger is okay with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A punch in the gut. Rohde brought a unique style to WDI and WDW. Authentic, anthropologistic, with a mastery of artefacts and visual cues, creating worlds to be slowly explored intellectually and visually.

Rohde's style is an acquired taste for me, but as these tend to do, I am now firmly converted.

DAK now represents what a modern WDW could be like if it still aimed high. His little southwest kingdom of DAK and Lodge feel secluded from the infantilisation that has befallen the rest of WDW. In my heart, I think I realise what will happen next.

Can you spruce this up for me by throwing in a superfluous adjective or two??
Yes yes. When I'm 65, I will certainly be looking for the door...

I thought you were already like 97?!? 😳

Rohde several months ago already was covertly but publicly philosophising about his life and future. Realising that his number of productive years are now limited and needed to be carefully used.

There seems to be truth to his personal motives to move on. No large project at TWDC for the near future, while meanwhile this is his last chance to explore other interests. Baxter is a Disney man, he lived to design rides and tweak DL. Rohde's interests by contrast aligned with Disney almost accidentally, his creative interests are more varied. Their retirements are not necessarily equally a matter of being shown the door.

Puzzlingly though, Rohdes big projects were completed in 2017, so for three years his basic position has been the same. Time ticking away, with no new half a decade pet project in the pipeline. Pushed out after all, or despondent at Covid ending any hopes of a last inspired new project at WDI?

...now that’s more like it 👌🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom