Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The messaging needs to be much stronger on this point.
I keep hearing " we are saved!!!!" "I can go back to work soon!!!" "Time to plan spring break!!!" Thats not the reality of the situation. The reality is we are going to be like this for quite some time still. Maybe we will see the sunlight this Summer, but its also very possible it won't be until next fall.

Theres a reason major corporations are still telling employees no return until late summer.
If anything related to the vaccine, the messaging needs to be that we will have a vaccine in 6 months or less so it’s time to bear down and hold off on activity for just a little while longer. The entire narrative that “we can’t live this way indefinitely“ is blown out of the water now. The economic impact is also greatly reduced as it is much more affordable to pass a bail out bill for a finite amount of time. Restrictions can be implemented now knowing they won’t last very long. People should be more willing to accept that now as opposed to less.

techgeek

I keep hearing " we are saved!!!!" "I can go back to work soon!!!" "Time to plan spring break!!!" Thats not the reality of the situation. The reality is we are going to be like this for quite some time still. Maybe we will see the sunlight this Summer, but its also very possible it won't be until next fall.

Theres a reason major corporations are still telling employees no return until late summer.

There's going to be a lot of social pressure, perhaps even more than the 'mask debate'.

What happens when someone gets their vaccine and feels like that gives them a free pass to do whatever they want? "I got my vaccine, so I'll throw a party and invite all my friends!" (that may or may not have also gotten a vaccine). "We're scheduled to get the vaccine in a few weeks, so we can plan spring break or summer vacations!" "We made sure all our employees have access to the vaccine, now we can go back to business as usual without restrictions."

Technically, they are 'right' in that they are no longer a significant threat to spreading the virus, although their actions may still have significant influence over larger un-vaccinated populations. It's a sticky thing to figure out the messaging for, and I haven't really seen much talk about that yet.

carolina_yankee

There's going to be a lot of social pressure, perhaps even more than the 'mask debate'.

What happens when someone gets their vaccine and feels like that gives them a free pass to do whatever they want? "I got my vaccine, so I'll throw a party and invite all my friends!" (that may or may not have also gotten a vaccine). "We're scheduled to get the vaccine in a few weeks, so we can plan spring break or summer vacations!" "We made sure all our employees have access to the vaccine, now we can go back to business as usual without restrictions."

Technically, they are 'right' in that they are no longer a significant threat to spreading the virus, although their actions may still have significant influence over larger un-vaccinated populations. It's a sticky thing to figure out the messaging for, and I haven't really seen much talk about that yet.

I'm a hopeful guy but I still see mostly unrestricted summer travel as a pipe dream this year. Maybe, maybe not. I certainly expect masks, capacity control, and distancing to be part of the equation. I hope it's just better than last summer when I had to cycle through vacation plans to to Plan E.

I wonder to what extent people are aware that starting up the vaccine means:
  • Broadly available (April or May)
  • Two jabs most likely, two weeks apart (how many will follow up?)
  • A month to build immunity
  • Broad utilization in addition to broadly available
  • Time to see broad availability and utilization impact the numbers to justify easing restrictions.
This ain't no light switch. It's a dimmer, and it's going to be slow. I hope we'll see impact, though, soon after frontline workers and most vulnerable get it. That could make summer look good. I'm hopeful, but I'm going into summer with several vacation plans and zero non-refundables.

mellyf

Well that'll help. They're going to make each other sick to spite the governor?

Pretty much. Our school district just announced they're following our county health department's recommendation and closing from Nov 30 - January 18. Many of the same people complaining about the school closures are the ones who have proudly stated they're ignoring guidelines. I'm thinking they don't understand cause/effect.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm a hopeful guy but I still see mostly unrestricted summer travel as a pipe dream this year. Maybe, maybe not. I certainly expect masks, capacity control, and distancing to be part of the equation. I hope it's just better than this less summer when I had to cycle through vacation plans to to Plan E.

I wonder to what extent people are picking up the vaccine means:
  • Broadly available (April or May)
  • Two jabs most likely, two weeks apart (how many will follow up?)
  • A month to build immunity
  • Broad utilization in addition to broadly available
  • Time to see broad availability and utilization impact the numbers to justify easing restrictions.
This ain't no light switch. It's a dimmer, and it's going to be slow. I hope we'll see impact, though, soon after frontline workers and most vulnerable get it. That could make summer look good. I'm hopeful, but I'm going into summer with several vacation plans and zero non-refundables.
I agree, except for a few small exceptions. The trials have shown immune response within 7 days of second shot not a month, but that doesn't change the timeline much, maybe a few weeks. I also think there is some hope of the JnJ vaccine coming through and only needing 1 dose. That could speed up the process. I don’t see a return to normal this summer but I am hopeful that certain Covid restrictions can start to be loosened by Memorial Day for the unofficial start of summer even if half the population is still waiting to be vaccinated. Some estimates suggest herd immunity could be reached if as little as 40% of the population was immune. I think we could reach that level by Spring. I agree that means a dimmer not a light switch. As cases drop off we open more and more and if the decline continues we keep expanding. For WDW if they can reduce or eliminate distancing (in particular on rides) that’s when capacity can ramp up. Demand may not move that fast, but as more and more people get the vaccine demand will keep going up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Pretty much. Our school district just announced they're following our county health department's recommendation and closing from Nov 30 - January 18. Many of the same people complaining about the school closures are the ones who have proudly stated they're ignoring guidelines. I'm thinking they don't understand cause/effect.
Same here. The most vocal people I know about having to have physical schools open are also not following the rules. They blame the county, the health department, the school district and doctors making the recommendations, anyone but themselves. There is no issue with schools being open with low or even moderate community spread. It’s when the numbers get out of control that it becomes a problem.

LittleBuford

From the CDC:

Avoid crowded parks. Do not visit parks where you cannot stay at least 6 feet away from people you don’t live with.​

Anyone else here disappointed in Disney for allowing and even facilitating such crowding?

Shouldigo12

From the CDC:
Avoid crowded parks. Do not visit parks where you cannot stay at least 6 feet away from people you don’t live with.​

Anyone else here disappointed in Disney for allowing and even facilitating such crowding?
I'm disappointed in a whole lot of things right now. I don't see how we're in a worse situation than we were in March, and yet there are less restrictions in place.

carolina_yankee

I agree, except for a few small exceptions. The trials have shown immune response within 7 days of second shot not a month, but that doesn't change the timeline much, maybe a few weeks. I also think there is some hope of the JnJ vaccine coming through and only needing 1 dose. That could speed up the process. I don’t see a return to normal this summer but I am hopeful that certain Covid restrictions can start to be loosened by Memorial Day for the unofficial start of summer even if half the population is still waiting to be vaccinated. Some estimates suggest herd immunity could be reached if as little as 40% of the population was immune. I think we could reach that level by Spring. I agree that means a dimmer not a light switch. As cases drop off we open more and more and if the decline continues we keep expanding. For WDW if they can reduce or eliminate distancing (in particular on rides) that’s when capacity can ramp up. Demand may not move that fast, but as more and more people get the vaccine demand will keep going up.
I should have been more clear. I meant 1 month from the initial jab, not the final jab. I'm totally going off memory, so I could be wrong, but I recall reading two weeks between jabs and up to 1 month for immunity? I was just trying to point out it's not like you can get one jab and dive into a mosh pit!

I'm very hopeful your timeline can work, but with all the unknowns I think we have to be prepared for this to take at least the first half of 2021 to show it's working.

However, as a sign of my own hopes in all of this, I've already told my husband that Plan A is a trip to Norway and we may be making it on three weeks notice. We will have all plans in place ready to execute the minute things open up - if they open up!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From the CDC:

Its definitely bad optics to see those crowds as cases surge. Right now the CDC is also recommending nobody travels out of state due to the current spike in cases. That adds another wrinkle if the main reason people might be traveling is to go to WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I should have been more clear. I meant 1 month from the initial jab, not the final jab. I'm totally going off memory, so I could be wrong, but I recall reading two weeks between jabs and up to 1 month for immunity? I was just trying to point out it's not like you can get one jab and dive into a mosh pit!

I'm very hopeful your timeline can work, but with all the unknowns I think we have to be prepared for this to take at least the first half of 2021 to show it's working.

However, as a sign of my own hopes in all of this, I've already told my husband that Plan A is a trip to Norway and we may be making it on three weeks notice. We will have all plans in place ready to execute the minute things open up - if they open up!
Yes 1 month from initial shot. I think Pfizer was 21 days between shots and then 7 days after the 2nd shot. Moderna might be only 2 weeks between shots. Not sure what Oxford is doing but that’s 2 shots too. To your point though it’s not like you get stuck and then are immune immediately. Even those who go in December won’t be immune until end of Jan so it really doesn’t help much with this current wave.

I think the chances are much better the timeline slips vs accelerating. I think the HHS guy who heads up Warp Speed is a little optimistic that all Americans who want a vaccine will have one by April. I am also hopeful that Fauci and others are sandbagging the estimates and saying next fall so people don’t get too overly optimistic and then end up disappointed.

My mom has had a trip to Ireland planned in June that has been cancelled 3 times now. Even though she is in her 70s so in the earlier groups who will likely be done by June I’m not sure international travel will be back yet. I’m more optimistic about my WDW trip in August, but still not getting overly optimistic we will all be vaccinated by then or the parks will be mask and distancing free by then.

note2001

https:///2020/11/disney-stops-attra...C-S79dWoIDcyghMo3WGnnQz7vTkd9YwjmreP2-YGueBtw
Now if only airlines would operate this way.

"We apologize for the inconvenience ladies and gentlemen. This flight will resume operation after all passengers are seated with their face masks properly worn covering their nose and mouth. In the meantime feel free to enjoy our free falling descent as though it were one of your favorite Disney attractions."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom