News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

rioriz

I think the big blue box could one day be cladded with a proper envelope and appear purposeful by being integrated into a "city of the future" at the entrance of the park. The EPCOT hotel discussed years ago could be part of this with a people mover that delivers guests to the park entrance. Reflective, metallic and glass structures that flank Spaceship Earth, essentially what has been presented in scenes of future world attractions of the past (Spaceship earth descent, World of Motion, now in Test Track, even Horizons). Just a dream.
I believe an earlier concept did have a somewhat Xandorian facade to it before being scrapped

montyz81

It is indeed electronic and computer controlled unlike the mechanical system of X2 or Haunted Mansion. Just hope it has a fail safe mode more like Forbidden Journey and less like Mermaid.
I wonder if it is actually WiFi controlled. If so, hope the 5G radio doesn't go down.

thequeuelinelectures

I wonder if it is actually WiFi controlled. If so, hope the 5G radio doesn't go down.
Highly doubt it would be Wifi controlled. Trackless rides use that system because the path for an individual car can change from cycle to cycle and vary depending on the state of other vehicles, so you need to be in constant communication with the central server. These trains here will perform the same maneuvers every cycle on the same linear track so that could be all hardcoded ie when the train passes node A it'll always rotate 45 degrees

montyz81

Highly doubt it would be Wifi controlled. Trackless rides use that system because the path for an individual car can change from cycle to cycle and vary depending on the state of other vehicles, so you need to be in constant communication with the central server. These trains here will perform the same maneuvers every cycle on the same linear track so that could be all hardcoded ie when the train passes node A it'll always rotate 45 degrees
But would weight of each train impact speed therefore impacting any synchronization? Maybe the variation in weight isn’t big enough to worry about.

BubbaisSleep

It is indeed electronic and computer controlled unlike the mechanical system of X2 or Haunted Mansion. Just hope it has a fail safe mode more like Forbidden Journey and less like Mermaid.
One time ridding Gringotts the cars didn't rotate in the last room and we blasted off backwards. I know the ride wasn't supposed to perform like that so I was very scared. 😂 A fail safe mode would be much appreciated.

lazyboy97o

But would weight of each train impact speed therefore impacting any synchronization? Maybe the variation in weight isn’t big enough to worry about.
It’s something that can be calculated and accounted for in a number of ways. You have the same issue with synchronized onboard audio which Disney solved in the early 90s for Space Mountain: De La Terre à la Lune. Dueling Dragons also accounted for different vehicle weights to ensure synchronization s between two different vehicles on two different tracks.

EPCOT-O.G.

Off topic but I'm so glad we have this ride and Ellen's Energy Adventure closed. Imagine they named an attraction after you and you haven't even made the effort to ride your own ride. You even made fun of your own animatronic on your show. Now everything is being exposed about Ellen on how evil she is.
She voices Dory. Time to overhaul Living with the Seas completely.

Ginzuishou

I thought Guardians would wind up being something like Spiderman at Universal (not that I wanted it to be like Spiderman) So, it's a coaster. Okay, that's fine, I guess I'm just not wowed by that fact. We'll see how it is.

tparris

I thought Guardians would wind up being something like Spiderman at Universal (not that I wanted it to be like Spiderman) So, it's a coaster. Okay, that's fine, I guess I'm just not wowed by that fact. We'll see how it is.
I’m assuming you haven’t been following the project at all, we’ve known it was going to be a coaster since shortly after it was announced. However I can’t blame you, considering they constructed the gravity building before most of the track

SplashJacket

I am almost certain we have always known it is going to be a coaster.

Edit:
I’m assuming you haven’t been following the project at all, we’ve known it was going to be a coaster since shortly after it was announced. However I can’t blame you, considering they constructed the gravity building before most of the track
Beat me to it by a second!

DreamfinderGuy

I am almost certain we have always known it is going to be a coaster.
We knew it would be a coaster per insiders since the beginning. The first "official" announcement of it being a coaster came from Melissa Valiquette slipping up while talking about the work going on in the Energy building for the "Guardians Coaster" during an EPCOT 35 video. It took until D23 Expo Japan 2018 for the coaster part to be announced. Quite a large gap for a casual fan to speculate on it being something else.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
You're probably right, but as an indoor coaster in the dark that will likely rely on projections, maybe they could be easily tweaked? Of course, barring any set pieces or AAs...I guess we'll have to see. Maybe eventually they will get rid of the IP entirely and make it an energy themed coaster...one can dream!

Guardians just seems like such a "here and now" IP. I know the MCU on the whole is still doing well (and I will admit I'm excited for WandaVision), but I feel superhero fatigue is right around the corner. I'm already kinda there. If anything I heavily dislike MCU fan culture- like the people who insist Civil War has stunning cinematography or that it's groundbreaking in some creative way... like nah. I used to be a mega fan but I've definitely drifted out of it. Tron fandom is where it's at. :cool:
People have been claiming “superhero fatigue will happen” for like a decade now, but Endgame just broke all of the records and made all of the money. Marvel is always going to be a big draw.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I think the bigger issue for the MCU going forward is that most of the characters on which that success was built are either already gone or will be soon.

There's no guarantee that the new characters they introduce will draw people in the same way -- the standalone MCU films have already generally performed at much lower levels than the mega tentpole Avengers films while still starring part of that established main cast. There's a chance no one is going to really care about films like The Eternals.

Of course they still have at least one more film for the Guardians, Thor, Spider-Man, etc. which should carry them forward for a few more years even if newly introduced characters don't do well. They also have the ability to try the Fantastic Four yet again and, more importantly, the X-Men. They will probably be just fine.
The standalone films continue doing generally bigger and bigger box office by comparison. The Avengers films absolutely should be outperforming the others.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I'm a ride wimp*, so I'm not upset. That said, I want those who ARE into great roller coasters to get the experience they want. I do wonder if the omni-coaster tech limits how intense the ride could be. It seems like it would be a lot of wear and tear on that mechanism if the ride were hitting sharp turns or drops.

*working up courage to ride Seven Dwarves, Matterhorn, and Test Track
I’m a wimp too and I love all three of those. So I have faith in you! Can you do Big Thunder?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom