News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Horizons1

You're still going on about this? Ok... :rolleyes:

Well you would be the last person to know if I did... Actually I don't think you would because of your complete and total disconnect from reality. But please let us know when you are ready to actually contribute to society, we really do need that empty space in-between your ears to help store extra toilet paper for the next coming apocalypse.

I’m not on here every day unlike some others who apparently the sun sets and rises on a Disney message board. I’d love to waste my time to respond to everyone single one of your messages as soon as you post them in your infinite free time, but our schedules don’t match up. I’ll try to take time out of my busy week just so you get a quicker response to your posts with jokes that aren’t really jokes, but rather just noise. 😄

SplashJacket

I’m not on here every day unlike some others who apparently the sun sets and rises on a Disney message board. I’d love to waste my time to respond to everyone single one of your messages as soon as you post them in your infinite free time, but our schedules don’t match up. I’ll try to take time out of my busy week just so you get a quicker response to your posts with jokes that aren’t really jokes, but rather just noise. 😄
Let's just all be friends :)

LastoneOn

What? Any elevation changes are basically negligible there.
What? I guess negligible to you isn't to me.
You walk slight up, it seems to me, to the theater. You take, 5, 6 steps down over to animation, those stairs there, wheel chair ramp.
On the Indy Jones side you sort of head down hill a bit and around to the backstage food and Star Tours. When you walk up the middle past the cafeteria sure seems to be there's a bit of slope in there as you get to the center, theater.

Maybe its not much, but even a foot can make a difference to how tall a building on the next street can be and still be hidden from view

LastoneOn

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, there's some change over by Echo Lake but that's because they built a lake. There is a slight dip down when you go from the plaza to Mickey Avenue but that's really about it it compared to the other 3 parks.
I didn't think we were comparing to the other parks, or anywhere else.
The point was about hiding big buildings back stage, or other places, and sight lines of them. That's all.

TrojanUSC

I didn't think we were comparing to the other parks, or anywhere else.
The point was about hiding big buildings back stage, or other places, and sight lines of them. That's all.

Epcot and DHS are the worst parks to hide anything. There's little elevation change. DAK has some elevation change over by DINOSAUR, which they built up to hide the show building (you enter on the second floor).

J4546

I was just thinking, The Muppets area in DHS is about the same size and the que building for GotG....Maybe they could make a star wars themed coaster using GotG tech, and put the que building where Muppets land is and build a new box behing star wars land where it will be either unseen or you could theme the outside to the rocky landscape. Id love for the DHS Star Wars land to get something big and exclusive, esp since they are spending 100s of millions on a star wars hotel...youd think the star wars land its connected to would be the best. Also, this would link all the star wars stuff together, no more muppets gap between GE and Star Tours. make it all one big cohesive star wars experience. then relocate muppets somewhere else.

Imagine a xwing vs tie fighter themed coaster that has you fighting tie fighters and dipping down into the deathstar chasm and living out the star wars movie

Incomudro

i agree 100% they whould have buried like at least half of the building if not all of it. Imagine the mind fudging that would happen if instead of a launch you just started off with a giant drop that you couldnt forsee from the exterior of the ride. that would be awesome.

Now they have this giant building that dwarves the SSE Ball and throws off the look of the park.

But oh well, it will be a great ride once its done im sure!
Most guests entering the ride will have no idea that they are going to be launched into the sky blue building in the background.

PostScott

Don’t worry. I’m sure one day you’ll get that humor thing down.
Well you would be the last person to know if I did... Actually I don't think you would because of your complete and total disconnect from reality. But please let us know when you are ready to actually contribute to society, we really do need that empty space in-between your ears to help store extra toilet paper for the next coming apocalypse.
Guys guys 😂 the insults were funny at first but now they're just sad. Just hug it out.

Now on another note-
Why is no one talking about how impactful this coaster could be. While the track layout does not look very promising, I don't think we can base the experience on the track given the model coaster this is. The video shows that on most of the banked turns, the vehicle will be facing inward. I wonder what it'll feel like, to be taking a banked turn sideways with lateral G's, or maybe the vehicle will spin a full 360 degrees while doing a banked turn.

Does anyone know if Disney patented this model? or is this officially Vekoma's model? I know Disney won't explore all the possibilties with the model, but a company like Universal totally could. I'd like to see a more thrilling version that could really push the limits on what it could do. Now there are extreme spinning coasters out there like Time Traveller, however, those spinning coasters are on a free spinning axis while this model is on a controlled axis. Being on a controlled axis could bring more sustained forces during the elements of the ride. Imagine doing a stall, like on velocicoaster, backwards or sideways, or doing more of a curved inversion like an immelmann or corkscrew with the axis fully spinning. I'm surprised that no one has really talked about this, this makes me beyond excited for the future.

I do think that Guardians will be top class in theming and I can't wait to see what Disney does, but lets leave it up to a company like Universal to really see how much this model could do.

SplashJacket

Guys guys 😂 the insults were funny at first but now they're just sad. Just hug it out.

Now on another note-
Why is no one talking about how impactful this coaster could be. While the track layout does not look very promising, I don't think we can base the experience on the track given the model coaster this is. The video shows that on most of the banked turns, the vehicle will be facing inward. I wonder what it'll feel like, to be taking a banked turn sideways with lateral G's, or maybe the vehicle will spin a full 360 degrees while doing a banked turn.

Does anyone know if Disney patented this model? or is this officially Vekoma's model? I know Disney won't explore all the possibilties with the model, but a company like Universal totally could. I'd like to see a more thrilling version that could really push the limits on what it could do. Now there are extreme spinning coasters out there like Time Traveller, however, those spinning coasters are on a free spinning axis while this model is on a controlled axis. Being on a controlled axis could bring more sustained forces during the elements of the ride. Imagine doing a stall, like on velocicoaster, backwards or sideways, or doing more of a curved inversion like an immelmann or corkscrew with the axis fully spinning. I'm surprised that no one has really talked about this, this makes me beyond excited for the future.

I do think that Guardians will be top class in theming and I can't wait to see what Disney does, but lets leave it up to a company like Universal to really see how much this model could do.
The potential is insane. Not only can it make coasters have better theming, but it also allows for better track utilization, the test footage displayed this concept perfectly.

At the very start, the vehicle goes into a half-pipe, or spike, whatever you want to call it, and instead of returning down the spike backward, it can immediately turn around and resume a forward trajectory. It may not seem like a big difference, but it really is, because another element is not needed to correct the orientation.

Everest has a transition converting the train to go backward, and then another that converts it to face forward just before the drop. Hagrid's uses the half-pipe to send the vehicle going backward, and then the devil's snare elevation change to send the vehicle forward.

A vehicle that can change directions can have an odd number of transition elements and still complete a circuit in the proper orientation. Another possibility is two or even three half-pipes can be completed back to back comfortably. Entering a halfpipe in a backward orientation is not exactly the most comfortable element but in a vehicle that can change the orientation, it isn't a limiting factor.

Lastly, with a controlled rotational axis vehicle, transition elements are not even necessary to include backward elements, which eases a lot of restrictions for coaster designers.

I can already imagine a single half-pipe in Guardians that changes the vehicle orientation. Imagine entering the unload station as the last car when you boarded as the front car, a very Guardians thing to do!

What a time to be alive!

Last edited:

PostScott

Also, does anyone know how the vehicles rotate?

On X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain, the "pods" rotate based upon a single side bar piece on the the track. This track piece would move up and down depending on the desired motion the engineers wanted the "pods" to rotate in. On the Guardians track, there is no additional side bar or visible piece to rotate the vehicle. So does that mean that the cars rotate based on like a computer system and sensors that tell the axis when to spin? I mean X2 was build 20 years ago and technology has advanced a lot since then, so thats probably true.

Here is a picture of of the 4th dimension coaster (X2) track for reference-
1605681599303.png

trainplane3

On X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain, the "pods" rotate based upon a single side bar piece on the the track. This track piece would move up and down depending on the desired motion the engineers wanted the "pods" to rotate in. On the Guardians track, there is no additional side bar or visible piece to rotate the vehicle. So does that mean that the cars rotate based on like a computer system and sensors that tell the axis when to spin? I mean X2 was build 20 years ago and technology has advanced a lot since then, so thats probably true.

View attachment 513869
It's computer controlled. That's why the cars sit so high above the track, to accommodate the motor assembly. Same system as F.L.Y. at Phantasialand as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

View attachment 513869

It's computer controlled. That's why the cars sit so high above the track, to accommodate the motor assembly. Same system as F.L.Y. at Phantasialand as well.
It is indeed electronic and computer controlled unlike the mechanical system of X2 or Haunted Mansion. Just hope it has a fail safe mode more like Forbidden Journey and less like Mermaid.

DznyRktekt

I think the big blue box could one day be cladded with a proper envelope and appear purposeful by being integrated into a "city of the future" at the entrance of the park. The EPCOT hotel discussed years ago could be part of this with a people mover that delivers guests to the park entrance. Reflective, metallic and glass structures that flank Spaceship Earth, essentially what has been presented in scenes of future world attractions of the past (Spaceship earth descent, World of Motion, now in Test Track, even Horizons). Just a dream.

trainplane3

It is indeed electronic and computer controlled unlike the mechanical system of X2 or Haunted Mansion. Just hope it has a fail safe mode more like Forbidden Journey and less like Mermaid.
What would that fail safe mode be, just locking the train to face forward at all times?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom